Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Dat face.

Also happy new year you miserable fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Christoff posted:

The much smaller ships have IDCs or a PA, yeah. But an LHD or above will definitely have a medical officer. LHDs actually serve as fleet hospitals so they have specialty docs (surgeons, etc) and a lot of regular docs. I was told the medical space on an LHD is bigger than a carrier.

Every Marine battalion has to have at least an MO (or DO I guess). Or at least that's how it was. Where I worked it was initially 2 MOs and an IDC but then a PA replaced one and became the battalion surgeon as the second one left. We got another MO soon after but the PA was left as the battalion surgeon. They might be using PAs more but aside from getting rid of some Marine battalions they're not downsizing too much.

Then you also have to factor in FST (fleet surgical team, blue side) and poo poo like STP (shock trauma platoon). Plus a ton of other places you can end up. Just greenside alone you have a lot. Then of course blueside there's flight surgeons, Seabees, special warfare poo poo, etc

But let's be honest you'll just end up in a hospital working family practice treating dependents with fibromyalgia or as a flight surgeon because they always seemed to be the least experienced/trained of the bunch.

Surgical teams get temporarily attached to LHDs/LHAs when they deploy. The medical bay and berthing is huge. Doctors do routine exams/treatment/sickbay/clinic stuff while at sea and also treat Sailors/Marines from other ships in the strike group while on deployment. Their life is actually pretty chill and they work "regular" hours while underway. So after 1600 they can probably watch movies and play video games and gym all they want.

I was lucky to be on an LHD for my tour as enlisted because I was able to do my DODMERB medical exam on deployment for my officer package. If I was on a small boy I might have been poo poo out of luck. I literally just walked into the CDR Doctor's office one day with the medical forms and asked him when I can do a DODMERB exam. He looked a little confused and then asked some questions about my application for officer then told me to come back the next day.

TLDR: So bottom line being a doctor out at sea on an LHD is pretty good job. You will deal with random/interesting medical problems and make a positive impact on people's lives without dealing with regular watch standing and other bullshit.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

All I know is that most of the dudes from my academy class who became seals were not hanging out on SA. They were mostly playing their varsity sports, working out a lot, studying hard to pass their poli sic classes and banging out bitches in downtown annapolis and towson on the weekends.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Dunno how much you know about bro culture at the academy but the seal selects where the most bro of them all. Even surpassing the lacrosse team. They tend to exhibit a lot of homoeroticism and high five each other and drink poo poo a ton. Which ironically seems to attract to attract the sluts even more. Good guys though. Would trust em with my life.

Meanwhile in my SWO world things are more serious about OPS/INTEL and CASREPS and donuts. Also getting the Captain's coffee just right or fumbling in the darkness to find the CO's binos so you can have it ready for him before he gets to the bridge in the middle of the night because of your "perceived hosed up" contact report. Oh yeah and also having your OPS write a giant x through your paperwork and writing "did you even go to college?" on it.

As a prior e-dawg, enlisted dudes have no idea the pain that officers, especially SWOs, dish out to each other. All is not safety observing and hanging out in staterooms for the junior SWO.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

bengy81 posted:

Real talk, if I were young and single, and still on active duty around a big city that wasn't necessarily associated with the military, I would buy the gently caress out of some Dolphins and show that poo poo off to any half easy looking chick that looked like they wouldn't mace me immediately. Some dudes did that when we went to the Rose festival and they were dick deep in grade z stripper beef flaps the whole time we were there.

Also, I remember dudes going into Chicago when I was in A school and lying to drunk chicks about all of their military "experience" and being reasonably successful at getting laid. That bs seems to work really well on dumb Midwesterners.

New York and DC in uniform is loving amazing. Midwest probably is too. Nothing like swaggering down the street in your SDBs with your combo cover titled backwards, tie loosened, and jacket wide open and having bouncer after bouncer letting you skip the line at clubs in NYC. Free drinks and adoring questions from women.

Despite people hating on DC while was I at the academy my issued dinner dress blues were a golden ticket into open bar embassy events and other ritzy poo poo. The only upgrade I made to this was buying an actual silk bow tie.

And also did you guys all go to the Hard Rock Cafe in Chicago after boot camp? Seems to be unofficial muster grounds everywhere in the world for Navy. Going to Hong Kong MWR and shore patrol will be operating from Hard Rock. Thailand: Hard Rock. Dubai: MWR Bus will drop you off at Hard Rock. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

buttplug posted:

Fixed. It was like joining an entirely different Navy when I lat x'fered out of the SWO community (I'm an 1820).

Only lat xfer I would consider is FAO and you have to be promoted to LCDR anyways for that. So that's post DH ride.

Unlike most people the only reason I would stay in is to be a SWO DH. My SWO pin burns deep. Nothing like getting underway and doing ops.

• Locked thread