Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010
That is one thing I didn't understand about the Navy. If someone is a complete piece of poo poo, their eval should reflect that. We had one guy in my division who was the second worst sailor I had ever seen. So when it came eval time my chief gave him a bad eval using pretty language. Things like, "Keeps Reactor Instrumentation clean with little supervision." I just wish that they'd stop with the coded language and just professionally put down how much someone sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Seqenenra posted:

For some reason it is considered a leadership failure if you can't fix Little Johnny.

QFT. Story time:..

(For background, I was a submarine Nuke ET)

When I first arrived to my boat, all wide eyed and innocent, there was a SN in my division. Now this is unusual for nukes as we are push button E-4 after A-school and typically make E-5 shortly after arriving to the boat. It turns out that this fine lad had been on the boat for over a year. Shortly after he had made second off of the test a member of the weapons department asked him for his weapon's qualification card since they thought they had lost it. His response? "Oh, I never did that and lied about it." Boom, masted to E-3. On top of this, he didn't shower underway and required orders from our LPO to clean himself, couldn't perform maintenance, and required constant oversight on collateral duties (RC Div is pretty small, so everyone needs some collateral duty). During maintenance in the Reactor Compartment he purposefully brought out of range torque wrenches because he couldn't find the right kind and he also hadn't qualified SIR or his Dolphins (which he eventually did). He showed up to work with long hair and his personal poo poo was all hosed up (no insurance, expired tags/licence, etc.), which required a day of our chief driving him place to place. Soon after qualifying Reactor Operator he was caught by our LPO blazing rod height on his logs (a log that takes 3 minutes and requires staring at the panel in front of you). After he was caught he was relieved, the CoC notified and he was masted out of the Navy.

During his mast the Captain's attention wasn't on him, it was on my Chief and LPO. He basically screamed at them for failing him and talked about how hosed up they were. I'm just happy that the Captain got fired for almost getting our boat runover, he was a piece of poo poo.

/story time

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Seqenenra posted:

This is exactly my point. Why the gently caress was he ever a reactor operator if he is as dicked up as all that? Reactor operator, does that mean what it sounds like?

Reactor Operator is a required qualification for all of RC Div. He was standing the watch because the division was seriously undermanned. I am of the opinion that qualifying the senior watches should be a matter of maturity, but sadly the EDM isn't written that way. Plus, the watches have to be manned.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

ManMythLegend posted:

I had a Riker avatar for a long time prior to Archer. I decided it was time to go back for a while.

These avatars have messed with me. For some reason whenever I read your posts I assume it's Riker behind the keyboard.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010
So my first week of being back in college is pretty great so far. I feel really old comparatively though (not as old as Ket though).

Also: Knew a guy who went to OCS for nuke and DOR'd. He now has to go to boot camp to be an Undes. SN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

KetTarma posted:

What.

I'm still in my 20s... for a few more months at least

Yeah, I just wanted to feel better about myself for a little while. You're so young!

• Locked thread