Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Just got lectured on male privilege by the domestic violence GMT lecture. The next 3 years cannot go by fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

Tell them you are gay. And by not immediately considering that possibility, they were exhibiting their own hetronormative privilege. And you are now offended.

Remind me to tell you the tale of how I made the corpsman chief who came to lecture us on alcohol awareness break down into a stammering mess because I got the navy's "We hate alcohol" and the navy's "we love diversity and culture" and the navy's "gender discrimination is bad" philosophies to naked mud-wrestle.

It was the computer based training so I couldn't do that. Just kind of facepalm as I read it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Vriess posted:

This was basically my father's assessment after a 5 day Tiger Cruise from Hawaii to San Diego.

At that point it had been 7 months, with a single working port every other month, and a two week quarantine for gastro-enteritis from India.

Ooh God, were you part of that attempted port call to India poo poo show?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

I prosecuted a ton of male on male sexual assault cases off of minesweepers.

mostly just weenie touching while people were sleeping. A couple actual butt rapes.

Don't stop...

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

actually the weenie touchers usually got away with it for months because people didn't report.

Serious question, I'm not a dude. If some guy grabbed your junk while you were sleeping how would you respond?

(assuming you are not into that.)

Depends on how long I had been underway.

justice4trayvawn posted:

on the boat? and he was just trying to gently caress with me? probably just got mad that he woke me up

if it was one of the actual homos i woulda got pretty mad though (they never did that stuff afaik it was mostly just a gangers who liked to touch your weiner)

i had my weiner grabbed whilst awake on several occassions + over the clothes flashlight raped

the weirdest thing i ever saw was the one guy who made another guy watch him jerk off in the engine room just because he was new lol

We over the clothes raped a new pilot in the squadron with a big summer sausage once. That was p. cool.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I was on the Stennis when you guys went through that nightmare. I remember we were a bit jealous about you guys getting to go into India...until the reports started rolling in.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

:a2m:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

So NAS Pensacola,NAS Whiting Field won large and small installation of the year respectively.....

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha holy loving :lol:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

tl;dr: Paging dustynuts

I can never remember this poo poo when I'm PCSing so a few questions, sorry for actual Navy talk:

1) When PCSing, what percentage of advance DLA, per diem, and mileage do you receive?

2) My orders have me going to my next command for a week then to a school for 15 days and then final stop at my gaining command. Will admin at my next command arrange travel for me or do I need to do it myself (yes, I've asked them and I'm waiting for an answer but I want to know the right answer. I've been hosed on this one before)?

I'm going through dig in the JTR but that is painful to put it mildly.

e: If you take less than the authorized time to complete your travel do you still get reimbursed for the entire authorized time?

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 14, 2015

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

buttplug posted:

Short answer regarding your last questionr: no. If you're alloted X days of travel/proceed between two duty stations, you get reimbursed from check-out day X to check-in day Y regardless of what the max authorized time is.

I can't answer the first question, though, I've never been advanced per diem/DLA before I've always just gotten it in one hit on the back-end.

Yeah I dug through the JTR and you are right. Also according to the JTR all PCS related advances are paid 100% off the estimate.

#2 is the one I'm really hoping Dusty knows the answer to.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 15, 2015

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

DustyNuts posted:

Heyo. It should be 80% of the total advanced to you. Your previous PSD/Admin can arrange travel for you (and should have before you left...), someone needs to submit a PRR to NAVPTO on your behalf. Yes, your next Admin office could do this, but time may be tight. You'll need to get up in that rear end to make sure it gets sent up through TOPS, once it does you can hound NAVPTO then SATO for your tickets.

Thanks. Something I read in the JTR yesterday led me to believe that any PCS related funds (so not the TDY piece) would be advanced 100%. That's not the important piece though; I was more concerned about the intermediate TDY.
I haven't PCSed yet so I'll see what I can push to get done here. Just so I'm clear, my travel office here can (and should) arrange my intermediate TDY travel even though my first stop is at my gaining command?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

TooLShack posted:

Yeah the wood Hobby shop is closed down, my Dad a retired HTCS ran it with another guy. It was a good shop and helped a lot of dudes build their shadow boxes. Out of all the Navy towns I've lived in, Pensacola isn't that bad, just stay way from the west side.

Auto hobby shop is what they were talking about. I wish the wood hobby shops were still around.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

The bottom line is that if you're going to complain about LCS, at least know what you're talking about before you accuse me of being a SWO and defending it while you rattle off the standard Sailor Bob talking points. I will also remind you that both the ARLEIGH BURKE and OLIVER HAZARD PERRY classes, which are both continuously put on pedestals during LCS arguments, had literally the same complaints levied against them when they were first hitting the fleet and everything with them turned out fine.

:vince:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

buttplug posted:

First off, those aren't SailorBob talking points. If you want talking points I'll post the [anonymized] talking points I have laying around from a very recently retired 3-star (sent to me via private message) that backs up absolutely everything I said and then-some. I'm not separating the program from the platform because at the end of the day garbage in = garbage out. And that is exactly what we're doing with this program.

I get that OHP and Burke-class ships weren't perfect from the get-go, but we're building dozens of these things based on hollow-designs and intrinsic flaws, only to have to go back and retrofit them with their mission modules later on as they come to fruition. It's standard knee-jerk Navy bullshit, nothing more, nothing less.

Hell, it's like the loving NWUs - room full of terminal O5s/O6s/E9s get together and sell a lovely bill of goods to the flags who eat it up because, hey, gently caress it, they're all retiring in 4-5 years anyways and its ~digital~. That's not an exaggeration, either. Also, how "safe you felt" is irrelevant. First, the OHP design is from like the late 60s. Second, there's a whole 'nother survivability conversation (or lack thereof) we can't have on these threads about the LCS. Let's just say it's less-than-flattering for a warship developed in the 21st century.

Well, guess thats it. buttplug has talking points from an anonymous 3 star that proves him right beyond a shadow of a doubt.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Anyone in San Diego? I'll be there for two weeks in May.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

germskr posted:

Where was all this DC help when I asked a few months ago? :argh:

Anyway, what's the Navy (DOD) policy on marrying and then getting divorced in terms of paycheck? I've had several junior guys asking me this and I can't give them an honest answer other than don't get married, but I've heard all sorts of sea-lawyer poo poo from some of the salty first classes ranging from "it doesn't matter if you had a prenup, the Navy will dock your pay," to "if you were married for 10 years or more they get 50%, but otherwise they don't get a dime as long as you don't have kids/child support." Does having separate accounts matter?

The Navy won't do anything to their pay. It works like any other divorce settlement.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

A Marine buddy is in the process of a divorce and they make him pay $900 to his wife. I don't remember if it was until it was finalized or for x amount of time.

They keep tricare if you're married for 20+ even after a divorce, no? Some poo poo like that

This is all sea lawyer poo poo so idk

They are only eligible for TRICARE if you retire, you were married for at least 20 years and there was 20 years of overlap in the marriage and the time on active duty. This goes away if the dependent spouse remarries. If the dependent spouse has insurance coverage of their own then TRICARE becomes a secondary payor.

As for your Marine buddy, he was probably getting his pay garnished as part of his divorce settlement as ordered by the state with jurisdiction.

Stultus Maximus posted:

They also get part of your retirement.

USFSPA covers provisions for military divorce. It doesn't automatically entitle a divorcee to a portion of the retirement, it merely says that the state may treat the retirement benefits as marital property and divide it accordingly. In practice this can mean up to 50% of the retirement benefits but this is completely negotiable. A buddy of mine avoided this by basically selling his home and dividing the money between him and his ex-wife. They didn't have kids and weren't married that long so it was fairly simple.

PneumonicBook posted:

And they should.

As you all know, the hardest job in the military is 'wife'.

My wife thinks this attitude is absolutely hilarious.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Go officer. You've been on the enlisted side already. Don't make that mistake twice.

I'll put it more bluntly. If you reenlist you're an idiot.

It's not uncommon to get rolled back in BUD/S. If you fail out entirely then yeah you probably aren't getting another chance, especially if it isn't medically related. If it is it will be a crap shoot.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Well there's also the fact that the officer billets for BUD/S are extremely competitive. You have to go to OCS, and then go to SEAL Officer Assessment and Selection where, as I understand it, they do a miniature "gut check" to see who is most likely to actually finish the course. Half the billets are reserved for academy grads, and there's apparently fewer than a hundred available most years.

The good news is, if you go to OCS, and then you aren't selected, you have no obligation. If you joined saying "I want to be a SEAL officer" and then aren't selected you can just walk away. I'm not sure if enlisting is still an option if that happens, though. There's a lot of details like that that I need to get more information on before I decide.

When I graduated from the academy we had about 20 guys get selected for SEAL. They have to go through "mini-BUDS" which is run by SEAL officers and enlisted from USNA. They have to pass the training and be recommended by the SEALs on staff. It's definitely not half of accessions in a given year.

I had a PR in one of my squadrons who was a civil engineer who decided he wanted to go SEAL. He was in BUDS and was dropped due to a pretty severe injury. As his reward he got to work on stinky flight gear for the remainder of his commitment while making considerably less money than he was in the civilian world. He was one of the lucky ones.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Part of the NSW official recruitment team told me that. :shrug:

e: it might have been academy + ROTC cadets. in which case that's still half I'm excluded from.

Probably ROTC+Academy. I'm sure accessions are up somewhat since my time as well. Even with that in mind I still think enlisting for the sole reason of going SEAL is A Really Bad Idea.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

you know in the army if you enlist on a special forces contract, you just get redesignated infantry if you wash out of SFAS

but that's because you revert to whatever your previous qualifying MOS was, and the SF enlistment pipeline starts out by having you qualify as infantry

I realise BUD/S doesn't have any such qualifier, but I assumed that if you enlisted on an SO contract you selected a rating you'd take if you didn't finish BUD/S? because if that isn't the case then there is no way I will ever enlist if I have a chance at an officer billet at BUD/S. I could probably handle being a BM or MA or something but gently caress ending up getting made to be an electrician's mate or some poo poo I will shoot myself in the head

e: rhetorical question I don't actually expect any of you to know the answer to that off the top of your heads

I'm laughing my rear end off at the thought of a guy with a JD becoming a BM.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Lou Takki posted:

Approximately %50 of the undes SNs I stood watch with were BUDs drops who were "getting back into the program real soon".

I think I saw 1 SN from my entire AD time that actually got a ticket to go to BUDs a second time. Not saying it's impossible, but it is not likely.

You just can't get that kind of comedy anywhere else.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Stop feeding the troll.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

lol that wanting to try BUD/S is trolling

Because that's why I said you were trolling. :rolleyes:

Howard Phillips posted:

New York and DC in uniform is loving amazing. Midwest probably is too. Nothing like swaggering down the street in your SDBs with your combo cover titled backwards, tie loosened, and jacket wide open and having bouncer after bouncer letting you skip the line at clubs in NYC. Free drinks and adoring questions from women.

Despite people hating on DC while was I at the academy my issued dinner dress blues were a golden ticket into open bar embassy events and other ritzy poo poo. The only upgrade I made to this was buying an actual silk bow tie.

And also did you guys all go to the Hard Rock Cafe in Chicago after boot camp? Seems to be unofficial muster grounds everywhere in the world for Navy. Going to Hong Kong MWR and shore patrol will be operating from Hard Rock. Thailand: Hard Rock. Dubai: MWR Bus will drop you off at Hard Rock. lol

Agreed on NYC, not so much DC. NYC during Fleet Week is double loving amazing. You can pretty much eat and drink for free the whole time you are there. Everyone that has a chance to go should really do it. I did go to the debutantes ball in DC over Thanksgiving break when I was a plebe, poo poo was nice. I got pretty drunk and was talking to some Major there who turned out to be good friends with my company officer and I thought for sure I was headed for restriction but he was really cool.

Glad to see I'm not the only one to notice the Hard Rock phenomenon. Cracks me up.

KetTarma posted:

you told her about the malware didnt you

MancXVI posted:

are you malware? cause i'ma reverse engineer dat assss

LMAO. Probably offered to show her his internet worm too.

ManMythLegend posted:

lol at this thread

Someone needs to post butts and dogges ASAP but I'm too lazy to do it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Good dogge posts. Laranzu your dogge looks chill as hell. Did you get him from a shelter?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

You staying over at 32nd Street?

I'll be in SD the first couple weeks of May if anyone will be there then. Gonna try to hang out with Christof while I'm there.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

orange juche posted:

Oh that's totally not going to be awkward as poo poo.

I agree.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Boon posted:

Well, my resignation packet just made it to the directorate head and got called into his office. Informed that I would go from EP on my FITREP (LT's are due end of January) to bottom of the substantial pile because politics.

I knew it was coming, but still.

Another artifact of the bullshit fitrep/eval system. Happened to a first class of mine who was getting pushed out because of HYT. She was ranked 1 or 2 at the time. I was in the debrief and she told the CO it was bullshit. After she left the room I told him I happened to agree with her. That went predictably well.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

SPACE HOMOS posted:

How many of you went to FSU or were stationed around that area? I know Mr. Nice! went to FSU for sta21. I am considering graduate studies and they have one of the programs I am interested in. Is the campus nice? What about the area around there? I've lived in Florida when I was growing up still have a moderate level of hate for the state.

I personally think the town is a dump but the campus isn't bad. Great night life obviously if that's important to you.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Whidbey Island. Terrible place if you are a young single Sailor but I was married when I got there.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

justice4trayvawn posted:

every single marine that gets kicked out during boot camp has an EGA tatt

checkmate son

You really have no comprehension how much USNA stolen valor hurts us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

justice4trayvawn posted:

Hoo yah sir, I'll drop it.

Thank you for understanding.

• Locked thread