Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lol, dis dude is thinkin gently caress my life is over

(what he didnt knwo is it was over the moment he arrived at boot)

happy new year fuckers im still drunk
ahahaha motherfucker's gonna be a PS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Seqenenra posted:

One time I was forced to write an eval for one of my guys, so I wrote it and was honest. It was pretty brutal but the guy was a piece of poo poo (poopkitty will vouch for me). My chief didn't like what I wrote so I told him to write it himself and then I found him hours later sitting at his computer in the write up block, he had two words written in it. "lovely SAILOR" was what it said. I just laughed and walked out.

Please tell me that dude eventually got an adverse eval.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I've never actually seen a person get an adverse eval for being hot flaming garbage as a person and a sailor, (even though I have worked with several of them) without a mast case or something else. I wonder if you're actually allowed to give adverse evals without a co's mast or PFA failure? It seems in all the evals I've looked at, 3.0 is the bottom floor for a trait unless you are actively involved in Bad poo poo.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Seqenenra posted:

You must be in 7th Fleet. If anything horrible or even not horrible happens it is a leadership failure here. I don't know if the policy has changed, but a couple of years ago whenever SN Timmy would have some kind of liberty incident, the first khaki would have to explain to Mr. CNFJ himself what happened and where leadership failed.

I've never really understood the point of that, how in the gently caress do you stop idiots who were raised on a steady diet of lead paint chips, TV, and booze from going out and utterly destroying a town, besides telling them the rules and training? Beyond that your only options are literally following them to every location, in person (dunno what good that would do, dumbs are still gonna dumb), or locking them the gently caress up on base.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

Isn't that deck plate leadership?

The navy is hilariously dumb and gay. :negative:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Angry Fish posted:

http://m.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News-Wires/2014/1106/Navy-SEAL-who-wrote-book-about-the-bin-Laden-raid-loses-4.5-million

The idiot who wrote the Bin Laden book is suing his lawyers for telling him that it was perfectly fine publishing a book exposing government secrets.

He lost his security clearance and had to forfeit his $4.2 million to the government. Good.

The reasons he gave for not submitting his account to the Pentagon for review? He wanted his account to be published before all the other books soon to be out. Jfc...

lol what an idiot.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

I don't know anything worth writing a book over, but I've learned a couple of pretty cool things.

Analogical posted:

"The gently caress, man."

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

I had a Riker avatar for a long time prior to Archer. I decided it was time to go back for a while.

You know who else dressed as Riker? Francostein. :colbert:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Christoff posted:

Where's squirrely

gardening

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Oh hi there Christoff!

My experience was home of record (as listed as your place of residence upon enlistment). Coincidentally enough, this was also proof enough for Penn State to let me back in as an in-state student even though I had been living in Washington for 5 years, had a Washington Drivers License, and had my legal residence moved to Washington State.

I dont get it

I believe its the cost paid by the DoD to move you to your home of record. The DoD will pay you UP TO the amount it would cost you to move back to your home of record, but that doesn't preclude you from moving elsewhere upon departure from that hellish abyss.

I thought you found your second love, gardening, when you retired from the Navy?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arione posted:

New mandatory NKO for all my sailors due by friday, CID GLOSS-CM-cul008 Beautiful North Korean Cheerleaders Adored in South Korea

RIP, couldn't get section 5 to complete, guess I'll never know how to adore Beautiful North Korean Cheerleaders

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sir Lucius posted:

combat? in nwus?

gotta fight the menace of dirty p-ways shipmate

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Christoff posted:

I feel like a small ship would be alright and you know actually have camaraderie and command pride etc and less buddy loving. Big ships seem like a free for all aside from the mafia and Chiefs mess

Big ships, however, are a mess. Showing up and deploying then taking off is nice but I felt bad when we left and knew why they hated us.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CMD598 posted:

What barracks?

:q:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Angry Fish posted:

Doesn't NAS Pensacola still have their hobby shop open? That's why they won.

Uhhh no I'm pretty sure that poo poo's been gone for years.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vriess posted:

Alabama?
:banjo:

Nah more like West Pensacola has a higher violent crime rate than Miami.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

My god this thread sure is navy, loving nobles making GBS threads up the thread.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sir Lucius posted:

gently caress ships, im glad ill never be on one and i dont give a gently caress about "your" gay navy

I'm well on my way to never being on a ship again if i can help it, got a shore tour as an instructor conus, then I have no loving clue what I'm gonna do, probably get out and suck up GI bill money.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Boon posted:

Anyone know how leave buy-back works? I've heard it's half of basepay, but everything I've researched says full base pay...

It's full base pay, no allowances.

Do not sell your leave back unless you have literally no other option, as selling it back is the worst choice you can make.

Going on leave, you get all of your allowances along with your pay while on leave, it makes you considerably more money, several thousand dollars per month usually.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

It's not thaaaaaaaat bad.

It's still bad though.

Only the most retarded stay in, eh MML?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

The way it was put to me was, "you have to decide whether you want to be a SEAL, or an officer." And I want to be a SEAL.

As I said I'll get all the information before I make the final decision re: enlist v. commission. But if my chances of becoming a SEAL are even a little better by enlisting, that's what I'll do.

I just want to put this out there: IF YOU ENLIST WITH A DEGREE, YOU ARE A LEAD-PAINT EATING :downs:-rear end MOTHERFUCKER. DO NOT ENLIST WITH A loving DEGREE.

Especially since you already have been through an enlistment and know how much E life sucks dick. If you are a BUD/S drop, you will be chipping paint for 4 years while a stupid motherfucker who can barely remember the process for breathing is in charge of your sorry rear end. You do not want some dude who made a 35 on the ASVAB and dropped out of high school to be your boss.

Your chances of making it as a SEAL by enlisting are pretty much zero, that bullshit the SEAL recruiter or whatever is feeding you is literally that, bullshit. He's trying to get you to enlist because it will help him check off another tickmark on his quota of special programs enlistees.

If I enlist at the end of this year or beginning of next year, I'll have, potentially, two tries before I hit the age cutoff. I'll have a loving JD so if I don't get through by then I doubt I'll have any trouble commissioning just to make my life suck less. Doesn't the Navy have some equivalent of green to gold?
Yeah the navy has a green to gold program, it's called OCS. You can't sign up for it if you've enlisted unless you have done a portion of your enlistment, and even then, the slots are rather competitive. Just get the loving commission man, don't put yourself in a world of hurt, because we will all universally line up to alternate laughing at your misfortune and ripping you a new rear end in a top hat for being so stupid.

E: you know what I could just replace the entire thing i wrote with :cmon: I mean what the gently caress dude.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 21, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

how is that? :confused:

and he's not a recruiter, he's part of the NSW recruitment team, his job is to answer questions about NSW, he doesn't actually sign people up.

Just going to reinforce that if you enlist you are an idiot. Being a BUD/S drop as an officer lands you on far better footing than being a BUD/S drop as an enlisted pleb. Like Stultus said, BUD/S has an 80% washout rate, are you willing to bet your next 6 years on being the 1 out of the 5? SEAL officers have a similar washout rate, but at least you are a butter-bar which makes you way more money, and instead of chipping paint you will be the dude in charge of the dudes who are in charge of the paint chippers. Two degrees of separation is acceptable.

Seriously, step back, and think. If you sign on that dotted line, and you get hurt, then Uncle Sam still owns your rear end for 6 years. A lot of the BUD/S drops are due to injury, I had a dude I worked with, he was a BUD/S drop because the people in his group hosed up and dropped Old Misery on his shoulder, shattering his clavicle and drat near ripping his arm off. He did nothing wrong, but they couldn't patch him up well enough to continue training within a reasonable timeframe, so they dropped him from BUD/S. He lucked out and wound up in a job with smart people, and did his time and got out. He was extremely lucky that he didn't wind up chipping paint, because everyone who had processed the day before him, and the day after him went undesignated directly to the fleet.

VVV You are a loving retard, godspeed, retard.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 21, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Null Integer posted:

Dixie grill was perfect for hangovers as a sailor in the barracks.

We've all eaten things we're not proud of.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Laranzu posted:

Best thing about Hawaii Is booze sold everywhere.

I'm drinking Costco tequila. On my porch surrounded by tiki torches. poo poo is fantastic for the price. 19 bux for 1.75l. Hell yeah.

Screw winter forever.

Winter in Hawaii is 79 degrees vs. 85 in summer.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

I'll be in SD the first couple weeks of May if anyone will be there then. Gonna try to hang out with Christof while I'm there.

Oh that's totally not going to be awkward as poo poo.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

more like you might get some rain or something and that turns Virginia drivers.stupid.

Implying that it takes weather to make Virginia drivers stupid.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

Ha, same. The internet here blows.

Also, gotta love that I lived here for 3 years and it rained like twice and now I'm here for less then 24 hours and it's already raining.

http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/12/san-diego-rain-us-navy/

This is for you MML.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

Monterey is the best duty station in the Navy and I will brook no argument to the contrary.

Counterpoint: DLI is there.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeaaaah I don't plan on getting one right now. He's my 18yr old division buddy. I'm 37 and feel duty bound to help him him make vaguely decent choices as long as it doesn't take much effort.

He honestly just want to walk to shop right in front of the base. Sigh.

I feel so sorry for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

buttplug posted:

Hang on a sec. You're 37 and in A school? Am I reading that right?

Reservist you dummy.

• Locked thread