Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Dude that had a legit neurological issue that made him kinda narcoleptic and occasionally unable to talk passed his sea duty screening and physical.

Great dude, ok at his job, just really should have been unable to reenlist and med boarded out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Christoff posted:

:shrug:

What about like the really small ones

One time I took out a bass boat by myself and may or may not have beat off. If that counts as buddy loving than I'm not sure how much smaller it goes.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Null Integer posted:

And nothing of value was lost.

But where Will the SWOs get actionable intelligence to ignore then?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

orange juche posted:

Uhhh no I'm pretty sure that poo poo's been gone for years.

It's on Corry

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Wait were is it? Going to explore the rec center after stuffing my face.

Up front by the weird marine mcmap ball pit and the restricted barracks. Facing the main gate look left. enjoy cheap car work.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

I guess I would ask what the primary threat the Navy addresses actually is? If you say that LCS is unsuitable for today's operational environment that implies you think that the primary threat, and the driver of our ship acquisition, is a technologically advanced, near peer competitor which I don't necessarily agree with.

They were originally supposed to be multi role enough to go in harm's way. We paid for that capability and didn't get it. Someone out there will try to send one on a mission it's not suited for.

Having a warship that can only operate in permissive environments is pretty dumb. You can do that with a Boston whaler and a .50cal. Iran already does.

We could have purchased or licensed an allied design perfectly suited for littoral poo poo pirate interdiction for much much less cash and have a capable platform with a defined role.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

No they weren't. They never were.

While the permissive environment thing is a fair point, the idea that you can replicate LCS with FAC/FIAC is dumb.

The littoral is in harm's way. Unless it's somewhere off the coast of San Diego. The proposed mission sets were definitely not in pacified environments. Mine sweeping / asw / sw / could put the ship in danger really fast.

FAC don't have the open ocean transit capability, but if a destroyer needs to be there to cover the LCS anyway, what Is the upside?

ManMythLegend posted:

Actually we can't. Legally the Navy is barred from buying and building foreign designs.

I know this, it's just as dumb. Throw money into a procurement hole just because. The designs are out there.

We still lack a cheap small hull we can churn out capable of tossing missiles lone wolf style while extending networked sensor range.

A small number of expensive hulls loses out. Maybe they are just waiting for drones to fill this niche.

Edit: look at me, arguing boats when I cross rated to never see one again. I really don't care, just bored tonight.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

buttplug posted:

Hell, it's like the loving NWUs - room full of terminal O5s/O6s/E9s get together and sell a lovely bill of goods to the flags who eat it up because, hey, gently caress it, they're all retiring in 4-5 years anyways and its ~digital~.

I always wondered who got the kick backs for the nwu and awful ptu designs.We could have just gone with a proven off the shelf design from Nike or Adidas or our unofficial sponsors under armour. Millions on task force uniform was better though.

But hey although they promised a well thought out design capable of meeting all our clothing needs, charged us for it, and delivered turds at least they accomplish the mission of covering our fat asses. Look up the upside!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Analogical posted:

I think the LCS is pretty neato. It's like a modular ship run by AI right?

guys?

right?

ships are made of metal.

Dunno why it took so long to get rid of the twelve dudes on the bridge and drive it with a joystick jockey

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Analogical posted:

Getting married, knocking someone up/getting knocked.

Getting married to a great chick and not having kids while the Navy pays for us to hang out in Hawaii for a while getting experience in a field that has civilian job prospects.

Also getting my certs. Feels good man.

Moral: don't knock up your chicks so drat soon

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Someone needs to post butts and dogges ASAP but I'm too lazy to do it.

I miss this fucker. He passes Hawaii quarantine March 17th. It will be the best st. Pattys day ever.

Here he is powering up the cute laser.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Good dogge posts. Laranzu your dogge looks chill as hell. Did you get him from a shelter?

Hell yeah. Went in to walk some dogs. This dude walked in all skinny and greasy and smelling terrible. They transferred him from Texas to Colorado and cut his balls off the day before. He sat and shook and walked great on the leash.

Peeps always compliment us on how amazing he is but we can't even take credit. His papers say Australian cattle dog mix but he is basically a pit mix.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Arione posted:

I'm in hawaii, the food here sucks! you think they can sell this pig slop on the mainland?

I'm Also in Hawaii. For the second time. I can get fantastic food out of a truck or a strip mall shop.

You're out of your dang mind.

Steak plate is such an under rated simple invention that fuckin nails it on all fronts.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Best thing about Hawaii Is booze sold everywhere.

I'm drinking Costco tequila. On my porch surrounded by tiki torches. poo poo is fantastic for the price. 19 bux for 1.75l. Hell yeah.

Screw winter forever.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

orange juche posted:

Winter in Hawaii is 79 degrees vs. 85 in summer.

That's the point. 75 vs -5. gently caress real winter forever.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

overdesigned posted:

So they're sending me to be a detachment duty officer on an aircraft carrier while dudes do initial quals. I'm a dumb Marine who's never been on a ship before, much less lived on one for a week, but they picked me.

What stupid poo poo do I not know that will bite me in the rear end, and what dumb things am I forgetting to pack in my duffel bag?

One week? Shower shoes. Soap. Two ply tp. Enough clothes to last the entire time. entertainment.

Easy

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Pandasmores posted:

Off that topic though, what was everyone's favorite duty stations?

Colorado was great. If there was no winter I would have stayed. They have a few HM spots. Two good CO/XO/CMC combos in a row mean they are due for a dud soon though.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeaaaah I don't plan on getting one right now. He's my 18yr old division buddy. I'm 37 and feel duty bound to help him him make vaguely decent choices as long as it doesn't take much effort.

He honestly just want to walk to shop right in front of the base. Sigh.

He is an idiot.

Black Sparrow or Hula Moon were the two best shops in town. Hula for American and bold color.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Can we empty quote an empty quote? I'm half drink on Costco booze so I'm doing it

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Fart Sandwiches posted:

In pensacola the problem with hula moon and black sparrow is they cost what they're worth and stupid poo poo navy kids want a cheap tattoo and good tattoo isn't cheap and a cheap tattoo isn't good.

My side piece was Hawaii expensive, and entirely worth it.

My chest piece was from an old guy in the ghetto of Hawaii who just happens to have a ton of experience. Strangely cheap considering he and sailor Jerry were tattooing together.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

One time, I was pissing in my toilet with the door open, and my dog came in and kinda just stuck her head between my dick and the bowl while I was mid stream and she got piss on her head.
Word of warning 'cause of Super Bowl tomorrow.

This makes perfect sense to someone. Somewhere.

Just not me. Enjoy your sportball day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Oh god. My poor Intel rated self just met the neighbors (all army arty) and their friends (same) and played beer pong.

It was pretty fun but my wife tried to keep up and might never not hungover again.

• Locked thread