Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Telegraph is reporting that Mark Schwarzer is going to Leicester City for the rest of the season. This dashes the hopes of Liverpool fans who were hoping Petr Cech would choose to never play a Champions League match again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JorahTheExplorer
Oct 23, 2013

You aren't my Alves, Afonso Alves,
you make me sa-aad when sky's are blue,
and Georgie Best, cost fucking less,
so please take my Alves away.
I hope that young prospect can thrive at Leicester with enough playing time

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Ben Arfa is off to OGC Nice. There's a great footballer in there if he wasn't the laziest footballer ever

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Podolski is garbage and I'm glad that he's gone.

In other news, Gerrard just announced that he'll retire in the summer.

quote:

Liverpool ‏@LFC
Steven Gerrard confirms he will move to the USA this summer. Watch exclusive interview at 5pm on @LFCTV and LFCTV GO

euroboy fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 3, 2015

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
gently caress man, I can't imagine Liverpool sans Gerrard

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Insanely Sikh posted:

You could watch any game this season haha.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Roasted.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mr Snips posted:

I guess I'm more suprised that Podolski is only going out on loan.

When you're playing Sanogo ahead of him I don't know why you would want to keep him.

Wenger is obsessed with having players on the books but never actually playing them for some reason. Just look at Joel Campbell: this summer there was tons of talk about how Wenger loved him and didn't want him to go out on loan and after three years and a good World Cup he was finally ready for the first team, and then he made like one appearance in the League Cup while absolutely dire players were preferred ahead of him in attacking positions. And now, still, Wenger doesn't want to send him out on loan or anything. It's really bizarre.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Sneijder to Juve is looking more and more likely. He apparently hasn't been paid by Galatasaray for 3 months, and Juve are trying to work out a cut rate transfer fee since Galatasaray can't afford his wages anymore. Hard to get too excited about this for a lot of reasons, I just hope they don't spend a lot of money on him.

It also sounds like Diamanti is going to have his contract terminated by Guangzhou Evergrande because he wants to return to Italy.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

serious gaylord posted:

lol

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Insanely Sikh posted:

I'm not too bummed about it tbh. I think the end of this season is as good a time as any for him to call time on playing for Liverpool. It would maybe be cool for him to be around in some sort of coaching role, but he clearly still wants to play a lot of football, so I'm happy enough for him to go cash in in the MLS for a bit.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

euroboy posted:

In other news, Gerrard just announced that he'll retire in the summer.
Hmmmm thanks for posting this news, I hadn't heard it yet

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

POTM

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

vyelkin posted:

Wenger is obsessed with having players on the books but never actually playing them for some reason. Just look at Joel Campbell: this summer there was tons of talk about how Wenger loved him and didn't want him to go out on loan and after three years and a good World Cup he was finally ready for the first team, and then he made like one appearance in the League Cup while absolutely dire players were preferred ahead of him in attacking positions. And now, still, Wenger doesn't want to send him out on loan or anything. It's really bizarre.

It's the weirdest thing. Wenger actually chose Chuba Akpom over him the other day.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Podolski is a really bad player, he wont do poo poo for inter.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

TelekineticBear! posted:

Podolski is a really bad player, he wont do poo poo for inter.

Podolski will score goals and also walk around a lot at Inter.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
So apparently there's already plans for Gerrard to come back on loan next Jan when the MLS is off. It's an odd set up and probably won't work out well, and feels a bit "undignified" if you give a poo poo about that sort of thing, but tbh I wouldn't mind it because he's still an effective midfielder. The problem comes with putting him back into a side that needs to move on and be fit around the players we have.

In terms of incoming rumours, always wanted Shaqiri, think Berahino is really good, not sure about Sergio Romero from Sampdoria in goal but Mignolet is bad and keepers are cheap.

Rodgers said he doesn't expect to buy but I think a first team signing will happen to keep up morale etc after the Gerrard announcement.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hoops posted:

So apparently there's already plans for Gerrard to come back on loan next Jan when the MLS is off. It's an odd set up and probably won't work out well, and feels a bit "undignified" if you give a poo poo about that sort of thing, but tbh I wouldn't mind it because he's still an effective midfielder. The problem comes with putting him back into a side that needs to move on and be fit around the players we have.

In terms of incoming rumours, always wanted Shaqiri, think Berahino is really good, not sure about Sergio Romero from Sampdoria in goal but Mignolet is bad and keepers are cheap.

Rodgers said he doesn't expect to buy but I think a first team signing will happen to keep up morale etc after the Gerrard announcement.

I think we'll buy a striker. Probably Bony or Berahino. Balotelli is bad, Rodgers clearly doesn't like Lambert or Borini enough to lead the line, and Sturridge is dead and even once he comes back will take a very long time to get back to full ability (if he ever does) after being out for so long.

Rodgers is just doing the Wenger/every-remotely-competent-manager-ever thing of saying he doesn't want to buy anyone in hopes that it will keep prices down.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Think the interest in Bony has knocked us out of the running. Used to be talk of bids from Liverpool and Spurs, the papers are talking about City and Chelsea now.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hoops posted:

Think the interest in Bony has knocked us out of the running. Used to be talk of bids from Liverpool and Spurs, the papers are talking about City and Chelsea now.

And Real Madrid lol

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Known Eredivisie poo poo-merchant Big Wilf.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

With Neto refusing to renew at Fiorentina, Liverpoo seems like the most likely end destination. Lots of visibility, play time, and poo poo.

Upset he's leaving but whatever.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Bony is a beast, I don't want him to go to any of those teams

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Soulex posted:

With Neto refusing to renew at Fiorentina, Liverpoo seems like the most likely end destination. Lots of visibility, play time, and poo poo.

Upset he's leaving but whatever.
Never heard of him tbh. But a good keeper from a good league sounds fine with me.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hoops posted:

Never heard of him tbh. But a good keeper from a good league sounds fine with me.

He sat on our bench for three years, hen got first team play where he started out rocky but started to do really good. I became a believer during cup play when I saw him do a series of great saves from the stands, and the crowd started to chant his name. From there, he stayed more or less consistent but occasionally makes a dumb mistake.

He's a good pick and will be called up for Brazil again at some point. He's a lot better than Julio Cesar.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Hoops posted:

I love the rumors that City, in desperate need of fit strikers NOW, is going to buy someone who has literally just got on a plane to the African Cup of Nations.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
West Ham have officially signed Canadian international (lol) center-half Doneil Henry from Toronto (well, technically some club in Cyprus that he never played for but who cares)

http://www.whufc.com/articles/20150103/hammers-sign-henry_2236884_4395213

From what I gather, he's a pretty decent talent who just needs to learn how to not foul people all the time. Looking forward to seeing this guy learn discipline from noted calm-and-collected defenders James Tomkins and Winston Reid

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

pik_d posted:

I love the rumors that City, in desperate need of fit strikers NOW, is going to buy someone who has literally just got on a plane to the African Cup of Nations.
Oh yeah I completely forgot about the ACN tbh. It finishes on the 8th so I guess he's not going anywhere in January.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 3, 2015

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Hoops posted:

Liverpool shouldn't bother wasting money on keepers or strikers as long as they haven't strengthened their defence and midfield - but they will and it won't work and it'll be amusing sort of.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
If they are going to buy a striker from the ACN they should take a look at Ebola. He's deadly.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

R. Mute posted:

Liverpool shouldn't bother wasting money on keepers or strikers as long as they haven't strengthened their defence and midfield - but they will and it won't work and it'll be amusing sort of.
The midfield's pretty good though?

The defence doesn't need new players as much as the £60m-ish we've spent on a new back line recently need to start performing better. A replacement for Mignolet is much more important than a replacement for Henderson/Coutinho/Lallana/Allen/Lucas/Gerrard.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Masonity posted:

If they are going to buy a striker from the ACN they should take a look at Ebola. He's deadly.
His finishing has been quite poor this season, though.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Hoops posted:

The midfield's pretty good though?

The defence doesn't need new players as much as the £60m-ish we've spent on a new back line recently need to start performing better. A replacement for Mignolet is much more important than a replacement for Henderson/Coutinho/Lallana/Allen/Lucas/Gerrard.
Your midfield needs someone that actually brings something defensively and your defence needs players that aren't a bunch of clowns. Haven't you noticed that both Martin "convicted murderer" Škrtel and Kolo "loving" Touré have seen minutes on the pitch in the last months? How's that even happening? I guess a lot of it falls to Brendan Rodgers, he really should be able to work around Liverpool's weaknesses, but there we go.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

You're not wrong that the midfield isn't defensively solid, but first choice CF and keeper are more pressing issues. "Wasting money" would be buying more expensive CBs to go into a system that isn't working imo. So maybe a new defensive coach, but if we're talking signing individual players than I still say keeper and finisher are the first problems to fix.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Podolski owns, RIP

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Oops, double post

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier-league/story/2226548/steven-gerrard-to-join-la-galaxy-on-18-month-contractsource-says

Gerrard to LA Galaxy, 18 month contract, $6m a year, so about £75k a week? I thought all the designated players got mega money but Henry was only on $5m a year apparently.

quote:

The MLS Board of Governors approved the deal because the league will pick up $750,000 of Gerrard's deal, the source said.
Don't know how the MLS works, is this paid by LA Galaxy to the league?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Hoops posted:

The league bends the rules with the Galaxy all the time, there is no answer to that question because nobody actually knows.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Soulex posted:

He sat on our bench for three years, hen got first team play where he started out rocky but started to do really good. I became a believer during cup play when I saw him do a series of great saves from the stands, and the crowd started to chant his name. From there, he stayed more or less consistent but occasionally makes a dumb mistake.

He's a good pick and will be called up for Brazil again at some point. He's a lot better than Julio Cesar.

How long will it take for Rodgers and Liverpool to ruin him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Hoops posted:

http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier-league/story/2226548/steven-gerrard-to-join-la-galaxy-on-18-month-contractsource-says

Gerrard to LA Galaxy, 18 month contract, $6m a year, so about £75k a week? I thought all the designated players got mega money but Henry was only on $5m a year apparently.

No, the league pays $387k/year of each Designated Player's salary, the individual franchise pays the remainder of the salary. That quote means that the league approved paying their portion of Gerrard's salary.

But,

Gigi Galli posted:

The league bends the rules with the Galaxy all the time, there is no answer to that question because nobody actually knows.

this is also true. The league bends/changes rules all the time in order place Designated Players and/or USMNT players onto whatever team they want the player to go to (which the Galaxy tend to benefit from quite frequently).

And $5m is mega money by MLS standards, a lot of players make like $40k/yr and have to work offseason jobs.

• Locked thread