Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

MourningView posted:

I assumed you were talking about Michigan given what was being talked about in the thread.

Funny how the situation is similar then. Being 1-4 in what is a down MW is really hard to swallow

edit: though apparently rice is sure that Rashad is staying for next year which is good news in these trying unlv times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

MourningView posted:

I assumed you were talking about Michigan given what was being talked about in the thread.

Yeah, so did I. I was really confused.

With regards to Michigan - they should be really good next year. LeVert is likely our only loss and if he decides to stay because of the injury (he won't) then that'd be great.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Ugly, hard to watch win for Kentucky. Vandy played us tough and hit enough outside shots to keep it within reach until the end. At the same time Kentucky never actually trailed them. This team is frustrating a lot of the time. Their defense is spectacular and reliable but they are way too prone to lovely shooting performances so far in conference play

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
This is from last night's Kentucky-Vandy game. Maybe one of the most awkward fan moments I've witnessed live.

https://vine.co/v/OIA6QzEirW7

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Out of our seven losses so far, six were by 5 points or less.

Sigh.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

In Missouri Valley Conference news, Wichita State and UNI both won again - that Wichita State at UNI game on January 31 is going to be huge, especially if both teams are 19-2. Which they should be, UNI at Illinois State is the most likely upset before then.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I want to see what the final score of a UVA/SDSU game would be and if the same game between the respective football teams would be higher scoring

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

N: Arkansas had three SportsCenter Top 10 plays last night. Also Alabama had four players foul out. Won in OT on a tip in as time expired.

V: Still wish we didn't send the game to overtime by fouling a guy making a layup with 2.7 seconds left. Dumb mental mistakes like that still plague the Hogs. Missouri away next, curious to see how that goes. On track to make the dance so I'm excited about that, but long ways to go still.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

chaoslord posted:

N: Arkansas had three SportsCenter Top 10 plays last night. Also Alabama had four players foul out. Won in OT on a tip in as time expired.

V: Still wish we didn't send the game to overtime by fouling a guy making a layup with 2.7 seconds left. Dumb mental mistakes like that still plague the Hogs. Missouri away next, curious to see how that goes. On track to make the dance so I'm excited about that, but long ways to go still.

Here's how the game against Mizzou will go:

Mizzou will play a good half (Who knows which one?!), then gently caress up in the other, leading to a loss. Also the arena will be half full, as we've accepted our status as a Football SchoolŪ.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

What happened to Mizzou? You guys used to be a pretty respectable basketball program in the Big 12. Usually not at the top of the conference, but regularly in the tournament or on the bubble.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Any Memphis fans post in this thread? Hearing rumblings that Kuran Iverson's transfer destination is my school, URI. His stats are pretty putrid and the suspensions are worrisome, but, hey a 6'9" former top 150 recruit is hard to argue with.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Meltathon posted:

What happened to Mizzou? You guys used to be a pretty respectable basketball program in the Big 12. Usually not at the top of the conference, but regularly in the tournament or on the bubble.

Missouri's problem since Norm Stewart has been coaching hires. They turned down Bill Self and John Calipari, for example.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Amusingly Quinn Snyder has turned himself into a pretty good coach these days.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He was always a good coach he just couldn't stay away from the nose candy if the rumors are to be believed.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm pretty sure that rumor is at least like 80% fueled by Quinn Snyder looking like Quinn Synder rather than actual evidence of anything.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Pale, sweaty and sketched out isn't a great look in general. I have no idea if those rumors are based in fact.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

kiimo posted:

Missouri's problem since Norm Stewart has been coaching hires. They turned down Bill Self and John Calipari, for example.

Mike Anderson wasn't that terrible. Haith just never figured out how to win on the road, and then came the panic Anderson hiring. Also, something something team stepping up to the competition, something something SEC sucks.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Meltathon posted:

Mike Anderson really sort of screwed us. Haith was an abysmal hire from the start and I have no confidence Kim Anderson isn't going to be exactly the same but for opposite reasons. Maybe Mike Alden will pull his head out of his rear end with the next hire in a couple years.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

kiimo posted:

Mike Anderson was fine. He left us in a weird way when he left for Arkansas, but before that he was fine. Frank Haith I have no idea why we hired him. He did extremely well with the leftovers from Mike, but of course didn't nothing with them tournament time. After that, his teams were really inconsistent. Kim Anderson would've been a better hire fifteen years ago, but I'm willing to give him a few years, I guess.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Any Memphis fans post in this thread? Hearing rumblings that Kuran Iverson's transfer destination is my school, URI. His stats are pretty putrid and the suspensions are worrisome, but, hey a 6'9" former top 150 recruit is hard to argue with.

I still think he has potential, but he has to be in a system that fits him. He was definitely putrid last year, although he barely played, so it's hard to judge. He played well in our Canada trip this summer, and showed flashes of brilliance from time to time. He just wasn't consistent at all and couldn't stay on the floor. He has excellent court vision and he definitely has play-making skills, though. I used to think the suspensions meant the kid didn't have it between the ears (a la Jelan Kendrick), but since Pastner is off his rocker, who knows.

A local guy recently said the worst thing that ever happened to Iverson was being ranked a top 10 high school player early on, and that's probably a fair assessment.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12218520/illinois-illini-give-manager-ryan-schmidt-roster-spot

Is this really the state of Illinois basketball, lol

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

68k posted:

I still think he has potential, but he has to be in a system that fits him. He was definitely putrid last year, although he barely played, so it's hard to judge. He played well in our Canada trip this summer, and showed flashes of brilliance from time to time. He just wasn't consistent at all and couldn't stay on the floor. He has excellent court vision and he definitely has play-making skills, though. I used to think the suspensions meant the kid didn't have it between the ears (a la Jelan Kendrick), but since Pastner is off his rocker, who knows.

A local guy recently said the worst thing that ever happened to Iverson was being ranked a top 10 high school player early on, and that's probably a fair assessment.

Thanks for the response. I'm less worried about the suspensions the more I read about Pastner. Guy can't get along with anyone it seems. We're going to be sorely lacking in height next year so it's certainly worth the risk.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

:aaaaa:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Wait you can just do that?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I look forward to Northwestern losing more Big Ten games by less than 5 points.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Penn State actually wins a B1G basketball game

Rutgers bad

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RumbleFish posted:

Out of our seven losses so far, six were by 5 points or less.

Sigh.

Wake Forest is basically going through the same thing. Sports are suffering.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

JRizzle posted:

Here's how the game against Mizzou will go:

Mizzou will play a good half (Who knows which one?!), then gently caress up in the other, leading to a loss. Also the arena will be half full, as we've accepted our status as a Football SchoolŪ.

I'm glad I was wrong about most of this. Too bad they still lost.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
After the game at South Carolina, Kentucky's adjusted defensive efficiency sits at 80.7 on Kenpom. In the years that site tracks (now back to 2002), no team has been sub-85.

San Diego State and Virginia are also sub-85 this year, but UK is just ridiculous.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Baylor downs OU by 11 to get back to 3-3 in conference play.

I've been pleasantly surprised by this Baylor team - they've still got plenty of warts and are kind of terribad on offense most of the time, but considering that the only real goal for this team was to try and get back to the big dance without Austin, Jefferson, and Heslip, they've done really nicely so far. I think our only home loss so far is to Kansas, which is exactly the sort of home court defense we need this year.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Iowa State is a Sweet 16 caliber team when they are on, but are thoroughly mediocre in half their games. At this point I'm not getting my hopes up for to deep of a run in March.

It'd be cool if the coaches sat the team down and explained they aren't required to spot the other team 20 points before they start playing.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
News: WVU beat TCU

Views: I didn't watch it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If you are curious how Kansas beat Texas this clip will perfectly encapsulate it. Watch #31 Jamari Traylor on this sequence that kind of defines the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsxtLX6V2Fk

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I just noticed that Harvard lost to Dartmouth yesterday. It's early but that helps Yale's chances - Yale is currently the only undefeated Ivy League team at 2-0 in the conference. Yale hasn't made the NCAA tournament since 1962, and in fact, since 1986, only Penn, Princeton, Cornell, and Harvard have won the Ivy League (regular season champ gets auto-bid). I don't know about you guys, but I think it's time we finally see a new Ivy League team in the tournament, I'm officially rooting for Yale from here on out. Go Bulldogs!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Good game by VT today, really frustrated a UVA team that was obviously looking past them to the tough Duke/UNC/Louisville stretch ahead.

OctoberBlues posted:

I just noticed that Harvard lost to Dartmouth yesterday. It's early but that helps Yale's chances - Yale is currently the only undefeated Ivy League team at 2-0 in the conference. Yale hasn't made the NCAA tournament since 1962, and in fact, since 1986, only Penn, Princeton, Cornell, and Harvard have won the Ivy League (regular season champ gets auto-bid). I don't know about you guys, but I think it's time we finally see a new Ivy League team in the tournament, I'm officially rooting for Yale from here on out. Go Bulldogs!

All for this, though a 2-0 built on a weekend sweep of Brown probably is the minimum you'd expect of an Ivy champ...

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I was going to ask what the heck happened to Georgia Tech as today was their seventh loss in a row. But looking at their schedule, their wins - save for one over a now OK Georgia - have all been utterly terrible schools and not by huge margins. They way they're going, they might not win any ACC games, which might actually be enough to can Brian Gregory.

Please don't fire Brian Gregory.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Virginia Tech took UVA to the wire with 7 scholarship players today. When Buzz starts getting his recruits into Blacksburg next year it's gonna be a hell of a time.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I was going to ask what the heck happened to Georgia Tech as today was their seventh loss in a row. But looking at their schedule, their wins - save for one over a now OK Georgia - have all been utterly terrible schools and not by huge margins. They way they're going, they might not win any ACC games, which might actually be enough to can Brian Gregory.

Please don't fire Brian Gregory.

The bottom of the ACC is bad enough that GT will pick up at least a couple wins. But they should be beating BC at home. It would help if they could shoot for poo poo.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
N:

V:

Checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

kiimo posted:

If you are curious how Kansas beat Texas this clip will perfectly encapsulate it. Watch #31 Jamari Traylor on this sequence that kind of defines the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsxtLX6V2Fk

See, that's the kind of motor Cliff needs. Now I understand.

• Locked thread