Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

PotatoJudge posted:

JaQuan Lyle returns from the wilderness and commits to Ohio State.

:toot: team will be a monster if Russell stays a 2nd year, which he won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Meltathon posted:

I know it's a joke, but ISU usually just takes kids looking to transfer, not ones who got kicked off the team.

hahahaha yeah okay

There is almost always a reason those guys need to transfer.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Chris Allen got kicked off of Michigan State's team. I can't really keep track of all of Iowa State's transfers, but I'm sure Allen wasn't the only one where that was the case.

Edit: oh, Korie Lucious too, him and Allen go together...

Nolan Arenado fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 30, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Meltathon posted:

I know it's a joke, but ISU usually just takes kids looking to transfer, not ones who got kicked off the team.

lol, wut?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

OctoberBlues posted:

Chris Allen got kicked off of Michigan State's team. I can't really keep track of all of Iowa State's transfers, but I'm sure Allen wasn't the only one where that was the case.

Edit: oh, Korie Lucious too, him and Allen go together...

Royce White got kicked off Minnesota, too. ISU hasn't taken anybody who got kicked off for beating their girlfriends or anything like that. But petty theft, locker room cancer, or you smoke a bunch of weed? Welcome to Ames, the water's fine!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
DeAndre Kane wasn't officially kicked off the team but his coach pretty much told him that he wasn't welcome back and needed to transfer if he wanted to play another season.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sorry, I guess I was just thinking of recent history. As far as I know McKay and BDJ didn't have any off-court issues, and I thought Kane left voluntarily, but I guess he was more or less forced to transfer. Either way, I've never heard of them having problems once they get to ISU. Probably helps that this is their second chance and they know they can't blow it, or Hoiberg is exceptionally good at coverups.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
There's at least a pretty good chance Lucious was one of the MSU players involved in the covered up rape, and let's be fair you have to be a pretty big gently caress up for Izzo to get rid of you.

Also Danity Kane was a huge headcase.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

McKay is technically a transfer from Marquette, but for all intents and purposes he's a JuCo transfer since he was at Marquette for like a week. I don't really count guys who come from a JuCo when people talk about transfers.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

There's at least a pretty good chance Lucious was one of the MSU players involved in the covered up rape, and let's be fair you have to be a pretty big gently caress up for Izzo to get rid of you.

Also Danity Kane was a huge headcase.

Korie Lucious came out and admitted last year that he got busted for weed a bunch of times. I suppose it's plausible that he was involved in the rape thing (obviously he's not going to cop to that over weed) but that's the reason given.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Thoguh posted:

McKay is technically a transfer from Marquette, but for all intents and purposes he's a JuCo transfer since he was at Marquette for like a week. I don't really count guys who come from a JuCo when people talk about transfers.

We're also getting Burton from Marquette, and I don't know of any baggage linked to him. I don't know why, but Marquette guys seem to love to transfer to ISU.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I was bored at work today so I made a Google spreadsheet with every conference tournament bracket. We did something like this a few years ago and it was a cool way to keep track of all of the tournament results and it's public so anyone can edit those in realtime once the matchups get set and the games start in a little over a month. Until then, I guess you can just take a look at all of the different formats and marvel at how stupid the MAC's is.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TCUEwtkOclwruXd7PpsZhaxe2AGNpuuSXWWoM6EiUk0/edit?usp=sharing

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

OctoberBlues posted:

how stupid the MAC's is.

:stare: What in the gently caress is with that tournament?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

It's the most extreme example of the direction smaller conferences have been going in recent years. Best I can tell, they want a huge event spread out over lots of days and involving all of their teams so they can make money. But they also want their best team to win the conference tournament, because that team will have a better chance to win in the NCAA tournament. And that's how you end up with a five day tournament featuring 12 teams where the top 2 seeds get loving triple byes...

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Big Ten, ACC, and SEC have weird brackets as well. Not as weird as the MAC, but still having extra byes for the top four seeds instead of just having a sixteen team bracket with first round byes for the top two seeds.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 31, 2015

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The nonsensical brackets are half of what makes the conference tourneys so great :allears:

The other half is hilarious bullshit like last year's Big West tourney, where a 10-19 Cal Poly team inexplicably beat the top 2 seeds and went on to make the NCAAs.

Benne fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 31, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
The smaller conferences really try to protect their top seeds because they don't want a 25-3 team to miss the tourney in place of a 12-19 clunker who got lucky

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
It is January 31st 2015 and I think I can safely say Ohio State has washed off any remaining stink of Aaron craft.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

kittenmittons posted:

It is January 31st 2015 and I think I can safely say Ohio State has washed off any remaining stink of Aaron craft.

The last couple of games have been really fun. But eventually someone will realize that we have no big men :( Love Tate though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I still have to hear about Aaron Craft almost every time they play on ESPN so nope.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

I still have to hear about Aaron Craft almost every time they play on ESPN so nope.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

MourningView posted:

I think you are referring to the stink of Dan Dakich.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa has to provide extra security for him now because they're afraid people will throw things at him after he and Fran got in a big fight about Dakich accusing Woodbury of intentionally raking Kaminsky's eyes lol

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Dan Dakich is the biggest poo poo heel on the planet at the moment.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Woodbury is dirty as poo poo so he probably did it, but Dakich is definitely terrible, and I have to put up with him every day on AM radio with his dumb rube act.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Good poo poo, Derrick Walton Jr, will probably miss tomorrow's game vs MSU and potentially a good chunk of the rest of the season with his toe issue.

I'd put money he does not play again this year.

Sweet poo poo, our walk-on is our backup PG.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

Woodbury is dirty as poo poo so he probably did it, but Dakich is definitely terrible, and I have to put up with him every day on AM radio with his dumb rube act.

We dodged such an enormous bullet with him not taking the WVU job.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Eltoasto posted:

Even the dude who got poked didn't think it was intentional. Guys get poked in the eyes all the time playing basketball.

He did whistle an elbow at someone later so he's not completley blameless but that one was just an accident and Dakich decided to turn it into a big thing because he likes to get self-righteous about things.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Yeah the elbow is what I saw, and it did not seem very accidental to me. But I didn't notice anything dirty in the games against OSU so maybe it was just a Wisconsin thing, which is understandable.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Dan Dakich is the biggest poo poo heel on the planet at the moment.

Bob Knight is still alive, yes?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

stimpy posted:

Bob Knight is still alive, yes?

Bob Knight's just an rear end in a top hat.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Still deciding whether to go the Northwestern/Purdue game this evening or to hang myself.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

Still deciding whether to go the Northwestern/Purdue game this evening or to hang myself.

Decisions,

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

The Gamecocks finally get their second SEC win, dominating Georgia 67-50. The Dawgs were shorthanded and missing their leading scorer, but we were also missing a starter and key bench player and have otherwise cocked up a bunch of winnable games this year. So even with those variables in play, I still consider this an important win; another close loss could have sent this team into a dangerous downward spiral. It also just feels good to beat Georgia, no matter the sport. Hopefully this game will have a carryover effect and we'll start seeing more of the team that blew out Oklahoma State and Clemson.

Oh, and our defense remains a work of art -- we held Georgia to 22% shooting. We might be prone to hapless offense, but dammit, we can play some D.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

SA2K posted:

How did you lose to loving UNLV
The same way we lost to Oregon State: let them score too much.

I have no idea how it happened. Arizona's usually good for a weird loss or two. Also good for a Pac-12 championship game loss.

Speaking of Oregon State, in the rematch yesterday, Arizona held them to 34 points. OSU scored 13 points in the first half.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 1, 2015

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The same way we lost to Oregon State: let them score too much.

I have no idea how it happened. Arizona's usually good for a weird loss or two. Also good for a Pac-12 championship game loss.

Speaking of Oregon State, in the rematch yesterday, Arizona held them to 34 points. OSU scored 13 points in the first half.

Having an awesome defense owns

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
UK is on such a roll they are losing to whatever number 16 they play in March, I feel it.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Using my one mention of Houston basketball to mention UConn lost to Houston today.

K seeya next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
edit: wrong thread

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 2, 2015

• Locked thread