Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

First win over a top-10 opponent since No. 1 Kentucky in 2010. First seven-game winning streak since the 2003-04 season. Given our recent blowout wins over Oklahoma State and Clemson, there might even be an actual chance that we sniff the Top 25. I can't even wrap my head around it. loving go Cocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

South Carolina received votes in the latest AP poll. :unsmith: Huge game coming up against the Gators this week; hopefully we can take advantage of their recent struggles.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

tadashi posted:

Just curious - is basketball less popular at South Carolina than baseball? It feels that way sometimes.

Absolutely, but that will happen when the best years of one program (baseball) coincide with some of the worst for another (basketball). At this point, the basketball program has just been so downtrodden and so poorly managed that many fans need a reason to come. It doesn't even require much to attract attention -- there was plenty of buzz around the team when I was in college and we never even went to the NCAA tournament (back-to-back NIT titles and a shared division championship were the peak). This fanbase isn't the type that loves basketball enough for its own sake to watch a team toil to a losing record under horrible coaching, but they don't hold it to impossibly high standards, either. That's probably the saddest thing about it -- all we've needed to get people fired up is a competitive, halfway entertaining team and we haven't even been able to achieve THAT on a regular basis.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I'm disappointed we couldn't extend our winning streak, but I'm not too down on the team for it. Florida is extremely talented and much better than their record indicates; throw in the fact we were coming off a huge, entirely unexpected win and you have a recipe for a letdown. We were leading at the half and remained competitive throughout -- and that was with our best player largely shelved with foul trouble. Still excited to see what this group can do in conference play.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

This ended up being a pretty rough week for the Gamecocks. We took it on the chin from the Rebels today, 65-49, to drop to 0-2 in the SEC. This wasn't exactly the start to conference play many had envisioned after how impressively we closed out the OOC schedule. Two of our top contributors are mired in terrible slumps right now and the rest of the team has been struggling to pick up the slack.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

The Gamecocks hung on and edged Alabama 68-66 for their first SEC win. I was pretty worried about this game coming in, since we were slumping pretty hard and Bama had been on a roll, but this is an encouraging result. It's a big win and one that was extremely important to get if we have any postseason aspirations at all.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Out of our seven losses so far, six were by 5 points or less.

Sigh.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

PJ Dozier is the first McDonald's All-American to sign with the Cocks since 2000. I honestly kinda can't believe it's "only" been 15 years. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

The Gamecocks finally get their second SEC win, dominating Georgia 67-50. The Dawgs were shorthanded and missing their leading scorer, but we were also missing a starter and key bench player and have otherwise cocked up a bunch of winnable games this year. So even with those variables in play, I still consider this an important win; another close loss could have sent this team into a dangerous downward spiral. It also just feels good to beat Georgia, no matter the sport. Hopefully this game will have a carryover effect and we'll start seeing more of the team that blew out Oklahoma State and Clemson.

Oh, and our defense remains a work of art -- we held Georgia to 22% shooting. We might be prone to hapless offense, but dammit, we can play some D.

• Locked thread