Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I see a problem in a lot of films that run into thematic issues when they have just one prominent female character.

Whether the creator intends the work to be or not, any creative work will be viewed as a reflection of "real life." Once you accept the initial setting, like "in this universe people are vikings and ride dragons," or "in this universe people are in a peaceful space navy seeking out new life and new civilizations" you internalize that the main character and the people in his home setting are like you and the people in your home setting, even if the setting is somewhere we would consider exotic, as in the premise "sapient animals inhabit medieval china and practice kung fu."

If you follow the Lajos Egri school of storywriting, every story has a "premise" that is proved by the events of the story, one that is applicable to the life of the audience. (This is why the once-popular plot "killing a kinsman by mistake" has fallen out of style - it is no longer very compelling.) A premise is like a scientific thesis. Some examples include "Poverty leads to crime," "Out of weakness can come strength," or "misplaced trust leads to ruin." Even if the storyteller does not intend to communicate a premise, the audience will perceive one (whether they realize it or not.)

When I watch a movie, I accept that the people in this setting are "normal" and that the ways that they differ are the ways in which people around me are different from each other. Let's look at the LOTR books and films. While nobody I know is an iron age warrior-aristocrat, I accept that iron age warrior-aristocrats are fairly normal for this setting and could be a lot like me and the people I know. In the Fellowship of the Ring, we meet Boromir, the first son of the Steward of Gondor. The Steward of Gondor is basically King in all but name, and Boromir is heir to this role. We also meet Aragorn, heir to the title of King of Gondor. Because they are essentially dueling pretenders to the throne, the audience is asked to compare them. Boromir's arrogance and desire for the ring make him distinct from Aragorn, who is humble and has little interest in the ring. Over the course of the story we conclude that, based on Aragorn's qualities vs. Boromir's qualities, Aragorn is more fit to rule.

While Boromir would stand out if he was hanging out in a Starbucks today, what makes him stand out in his home setting is his arrogance and desire to use the ring (for good, but still). There's pretty much nothing else that's distinct about him. But what if he was a cyborg or something? That would add an extra dimension to the conflict. The implicit message would be that it's in part because Boromir is a cyborg that he is not as fit to rule as Aragorn even if his cyborginess have nothing to do with his actual flaws just because it stands in contrast with Aragorn's un-cyber-augmented nature.

So when you have a story where there is just one prominent female character, if the narrative puts her in contrast with someone else, the fact that she's female will create subtext whether that subtext is desired or not.

The best way to avoid unintended unfortunate subtext, of course, is to have more than one prominent female character. Or Robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Kojiro posted:

Yep. Also the scene where everyone forgave her on the spot for abandoning her family because dragons are nice.

Honestly, I can buy this just because of how it fit with Hiccup's arc. It seemed like a mirror to him running away from the chief role, which the movie portrayed as also an okay thing to do.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Honestly, I can buy this just because of how it fit with Hiccup's arc. It seemed like a mirror to him running away from the chief role, which the movie portrayed as also an okay thing to do.

I don't agree that the movie portrayed "running away" as an acceptable option -- that conflict was resolved by Stoick's death. The closest Hiccup came to making this choice on his own was when Valka offered to let him stay with her and her dragons, and Hiccup seemed to realize that this wasn't the perfect option, either, with outside threats looming on the horizon. With Stoick's death, the Chieftain role was more or less thrust on Hiccup.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Did someone already post on how goon-favorite The Road to El Dorado is streaming on Netflix?

Because goon-favorite The Road to El Dorado is streaming on Netflix.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
When I lived in Spain I saw it dubbed in Castillian. It was awesome. I'd like to get it on DVD but it seems here it's all the latinoamericano dub.

Someone should splice the dubs so that Miguel has a Castillian accent and Tulio has a Mexican accent.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

my cat is norris posted:

I don't agree that the movie portrayed "running away" as an acceptable option -- that conflict was resolved by Stoick's death. The closest Hiccup came to making this choice on his own was when Valka offered to let him stay with her and her dragons, and Hiccup seemed to realize that this wasn't the perfect option, either, with outside threats looming on the horizon. With Stoick's death, the Chieftain role was more or less thrust on Hiccup.

Regardless, though, you're not supposed to dislike Hiccup for not wanting to be chieftain and running away from it. It's treated as a perfectly reasonable response to the burden, even if ultimately the incorrect one.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Just saw a commercial for Strange Magic...

Announcer: ".... Tasteful nudes...."

Me: "What the...."

If this doesn't bomb, then EVERYTHING will be successful.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I notice the trailer didn't show the Sugar Pie, Honey Bun bit. Guess they realized that was really stupid.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

I notice the trailer didn't show the Sugar Pie, Honey Bun bit. Guess they realized that the film was really stupid.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
When I went to see The Hobbit, I was praying that they wouldn't show the trailer for Strange Magic. Really looking forward to reading all the reviews when it comes out.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to say that Tokyo Godfathers is an awesome movie and you should totally see it if you haven't already.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 9, 2015

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Someone please lend me a lot of money so I can win one of these

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Laika, you people weren't kidding about Boxtrolls being a let down. It was still really beautiful and the cast was great but the plot basically ran on forced premises and characters just being dumb. It was just really hard to get invested in any part of it because every part of it felt really forced.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dreamworks is making a Puss in Boots series for Netflix, further proving that they just can't stop squeezing that green stone for blood.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

axleblaze posted:

Speaking of Laika, you people weren't kidding about Boxtrolls being a let down. It was still really beautiful and the cast was great but the plot basically ran on forced premises and characters just being dumb. It was just really hard to get invested in any part of it because every part of it felt really forced.

Speaking of Laika, they've posted concept art for their fourth feature, the tantalizingly bizarrely titled Kudo and the Two Strings, to be released on August 19, 2016:

quote:

Kubo and the Two Strings will be directed by Travis Knight, with a voice cast that includes Academy Award® winners Matthew McConaughey and Charlize Theron and Academy Award® nominees Rooney Mara, Ralph Fiennes and Brenda Vaccaro. Art Parkinson is providing the voice for the title character of Kubo.

From an original screenplay by Marc Haimes and Chris Butler (ParaNorman), the new movie is a sweeping, swashbuckling adventure set in a mythical ancient Japan.

In the epic fantasy, scruffy, kindhearted Kubo ekes out a humble living while devotedly caring for his mother in their sleepy shore-side village. It is a quiet existence – until a spirit from the past catches up with him to enforce an age-old vendetta. Suddenly on the run from gods and monsters, Kubo’s chance for survival rests on finding the magical suit of armor once worn by his fallen father, the greatest samurai the world has ever known. Summoning courage, Kubo embarks on a thrilling odyssey as he faces his family’s history, navigates the elements and bravely fights for the earth and the stars.

This will be Knight's first time in the director's seat after serving as V.P. of Animation and Lead Animator on all of Laika's previous features, including a producing credit on Boxtrolls.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Dreamworks is making a Puss in Boots series for Netflix, further proving that they just can't stop squeezing that green stone for blood.

More like blood from anything they produce.

Madagascar is a success? Sequels, spin-offs and spin-off series!

How to Train Your Dragon did well? Trilogy and a series!

Kung-Fu Panda was a hit? Two, no, three, no no...FIVE sequels! And an animated series!

Monsters and Aliens only did okay? ................animated series!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
...There's a Monsters vs Aliens series?

Monsters vs Aliens was really weird from a design standpoint because all the monsters and the president had (somewhat) interesting designs, but then the main girl is as generic Dreamworks as you can get

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This looks amazing. I love Japanese myth, and the shamisen is one of my favorite instruments.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

axleblaze posted:

From a writing point of view, Boxtrolls is a loving mess and ends up far more pointless and cynical than their "darker" films as a result.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

From a writing point of view, Boxtrolls is a loving mess and ends up far more pointless and cynical than their "darker" films as a result.

Yeah, the more I think about it the worse it fits together. It says something that I felt worse for the main villain, who they go out of their way to make as evil as possible, than I did for the Boxtrolls. It's also odd, and I could be wrong about this, the lesson we're supposed to take from the Boxtrolls and the lesson we're supposed to take from the villain are at complete odds with each other.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, the more I think about it the worse it fits together. It says something that I felt worse for the main villain, who they go out of their way to make as evil as possible, than I did for the Boxtrolls. It's also odd, and I could be wrong about this, the lesson we're supposed to take from the Boxtrolls and the lesson we're supposed to take from the villain are at complete odds with each other.

The lesson of the movie seems to be "self-identify however you want, but asking for real social mobility is evil and trying to live above your station is literally toxic."

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Celery Face posted:

I'd also like to take this opportunity to say that Tokyo Godfathers is an awesome movie and you should totally see it if you haven't already.

I think it's Satoshi Kon's best film, and that's saying something.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In general I try not to sperg about movies and pick them apart but there are just so many plot elements that don't make sense, don't add anything, only exist to further the plot or just contradictory to other things in the movie that it's maddening. I feel I could just list and list things ad naseum but I don't feel like putting up a giant spoiler box of just ranting about how a dumb movie didn't make sense. Laika is really awesome so it's just all the more confounding they put out something this incredibly sloppy and badly thought out.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Despite Box Trolls' disappointment, Laika still has carte blanche with me with regards to watching their movies though.

Celery Face posted:

Tokyo Godfathers needs to be on goddamn blu-ray. Ditto Millenium Actress and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (I know the latter was on blu-ray, but it somehow disappeared forever). Animation really, really benefits from the format.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
You know would could be a good Laika movie? (My first thought was Burton, but he's kind of fizzled out.) The Binding Of Isaac. It'd need some serious adaptation, as, with the exception of a handful of cutscenes totaling maybe five minutes of real content, it's an atmospheric rather than narrative game, and most of the content is gamey and has no place in a film adaptation. But the basic narrative groundwork and atmosphere could be built into a truly great surreal movie (though, as a stop-motion animation movie that's pretty much necessarily R or at least PG-13, it's probably too risky of a proposition).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

axleblaze posted:

Hell, it's at odds with its own trailer considering that Eggs prioritizes a father he doesn't even know the moment he shows up, and the Boxtrolls themselves are practically irrelevant from there on out.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

LaughMyselfTo posted:

You know would could be a good Laika movie? (My first thought was Burton, but he's kind of fizzled out.) The Binding Of Isaac. It'd need some serious adaptation, as, with the exception of a handful of cutscenes totaling maybe five minutes of real content, it's an atmospheric rather than narrative game, and most of the content is gamey and has no place in a film adaptation. But the basic narrative groundwork and atmosphere could be built into a truly great surreal movie (though, as a stop-motion animation movie that's pretty much necessarily R or at least PG-13, it's probably too risky of a proposition).

I love that game and all (600+ in the last game, 100+ hours in the new one), but there's no way this would adapt to film. The main reason people play the game is that everything is randomized all the time, and how would you get that into a film? What are the supporting characters, the followers? How will the movie deal with feces, enemies made of feces, abortion jokes, dead babies, religious bashing, vomit, urine, satan, etc etc?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Directed by Matt Stone and Trey Parker?

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

IUG posted:

I love that game and all (600+ in the last game, 100+ hours in the new one), but there's no way this would adapt to film. The main reason people play the game is that everything is randomized all the time, and how would you get that into a film? What are the supporting characters, the followers? How will the movie deal with feces, enemies made of feces, abortion jokes, dead babies, religious bashing, vomit, urine, satan, etc etc?

Which is why I said you need to build on the game as a foundation instead of expecting it to plop out an outline for a movie for you. As for all of the non-family-friendly content, that's why I said it was necessarily going to be higher than PG (a major negative from investors' perspectives).

For characters, I've got to figure that, in keeping with the (preexisting) theme that Isaac is alone and imagining everything, the supporting characters would be aspects of him - probably the "other characters" on the select screen that are actually just Isaac in assorted costumes.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The story and art style were insufferable enough in the game, nobody wants to watch a movie about a baby killing its mom with poop and aborted fetsus because :iamafag:~religion~:razz: even if it didn't look like it was drawn by a 14 year-old Hot Topic reject.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

GrandpaPants posted:

Tokyo Godfathers needs to be on goddamn blu-ray. Ditto Millenium Actress and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (I know the latter was on blu-ray, but it somehow disappeared forever). Animation really, really benefits from the format.

Tokyo Godfathers is one of the best films I have ever seen, period.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Personally i'd like to see Laika do their take on the 'Series of unfortunate events' books I read as a kid, it seems like a perfect fit for them honestly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Not gonna happen since Paramount is making them into a live-action Netflix series.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Not gonna happen since Paramount is making them into a live-action Netflix series.

They are? First I've heard of this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Pixeltendo posted:

They are? First I've heard of this.

http://deadline.com/2014/11/a-series-of-unfortunate-events-tv-show-lemony-snicket-netflix-1201274454/

Also the Jim Carrey movie came out nearly 11 years ago. Jesus.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

K. Waste posted:

This will be Knight's first time in the director's seat after serving as V.P. of Animation and Lead Animator on all of Laika's previous features, including a producing credit on Boxtrolls.

Hm. Couldn't find any asian actors for this, could they.

I mean, I love the idea and that they're working with asian mythology, but this star-casting for animated roles thing is frustrating. Yes, this isn't live action whitewashing, and it's not comparable to the Last Airbender or Exodus, but at least throwing some kind of bone would be nice.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 14, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
animated roles?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Koramei posted:

animated roles?

I know it might seem silly, yes it's animation and anybody can play anybody, but asian actors often get the short stick in Hollywood in terms of roles they get to play.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I meant that it's hardly unique to animation, not that it's not an issue, but then you went and edited your post to include that and made me look silly. :mad:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Samuel Jackson as Gin Rummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Even though it had many shortcomings, it was nice that Boxtrolls had Tracy Morgan playing a white guy.

Actually that's an oddly mixed bag because on the one hand it's nice to have the casting thing work in that way for once but on the other hand it wouldn't have killed Boxtrolls to have a single black character.

• Locked thread