Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

axleblaze posted:

Even though it had many shortcomings, it was nice that Boxtrolls had Tracy Morgan playing a white guy.

Actually that's an oddly mixed bag because on the one hand it's nice to have the casting thing work in that way for once but on the other hand it wouldn't have killed Boxtrolls to have a single black character.

It's a conspicuously white movie considering it doesn't even take place in a real-life setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Still pissed that we're talking about Laika and they haven't pushed Wildwood into production yet (as far as we know). It takes place in the mystical woodlands of Oregon, the studio's home state. It's (supposedly) a sprawling epic with plenty of interesting characters, it's gotta be better than Boxtrolls. Colin Meloy of The Decemberists wrote it so you've got your ear-catching soundtrack album, and their new record is a pretty big disappointment anyway so there's nowhere to go but up. Laika's had the rights for 3 and a half years now and nothing's happened save for a book launch trailer, well-animated by Laika no less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLacpZuYNo8

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

axleblaze posted:

Even though it had many shortcomings, it was nice that Boxtrolls had Tracy Morgan playing a white guy.

Actually that's an oddly mixed bag because on the one hand it's nice to have the casting thing work in that way for once but on the other hand it wouldn't have killed Boxtrolls to have a single black character.

I've made my opinions on Boxtrolls known, for better or worse, but Tracey Morgan was a bright spot in the film.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I've made my opinions on Boxtrolls known, for better or worse, but Tracey Morgan was a bright spot in the film.

All the henchmen were pretty great really.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Academy announced its nominees for Best Animated Film:

*Big Hero 6
*The Boxtrolls
*How To Train Your Dragon 2
*Song of the Sea
*The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

After they announced them I heard someone on the livestream say loudly "No Lego Movie?". Pretty much my reaction. loving Academy.

"Everything Is Awesome" did get a best original song nomination, though, so there's that?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

lelandjs posted:

The Academy announced its nominees for Best Animated Film:

*Big Hero 6
*The Boxtrolls
*How To Train Your Dragon 2
*Song of the Sea
*The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

After they announced them I heard someone on the livestream say loudly "No Lego Movie?". Pretty much my reaction. loving Academy.

"Everything Is Awesome" did get a best original song nomination, though, so there's that?

I'd argue that The Lego Movie is on par with HTTYD2, maybe slightly better. Haven't seen Song of the Sea, but the other films I'd definitely watch over The Lego Movie again.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

teagone posted:

I'd argue that The Lego Movie is on par with HTTYD2, maybe slightly better. Haven't seen Song of the Sea, but the other films I'd definitely watch over The Lego Movie again.

I watched it twice in theaters, three times since I bought the Blu Ray, and played the video game on both PC and Vita.

I may have a slight obsession with The Lego Movie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's tough because aside from Kaguya (and maybe Song of the Sea which isn't out in my state yet), I don't think there were any capital-g Great animated films this year.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

It's tough because aside from Kaguya (and maybe Song of the Sea which isn't out in my state yet), I don't think there were any capital-g Great animated films this year.

And its my sincere hope that this cements Kaguya as the winner where studio bias might otherwise displace it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I saw Boxtrolls yesterday and I'm not sure how to describe it. Dark? Cynical? When the villain was about to get a white hat all I could think was 'I doubt he could do a worse job than the other white hats so whatever'. The general population will be hosed over in either case, which is a pretty dark message for a children's movie. But hey, the father starts paying attention to his daughter in the end, so that's great. Then it doesn't matter that he uses money meant for a children's hospital to buy cheese! Right?

I also actually felt more sorry for the villain than any of the other characters no matter he evil things he did. This might have been deliberate though, considering his final scene. The main character telling him that no matter what he does and eats, he will still be nothing more than another peon, was pretty heartbreaking.

Of course you could see it another way, that you shouldn't let riches and power define your worth. The villain believes that only if he eats cheese he will be on the same level as the white hats. But the truth is he is more capable and competent than any of them.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 15, 2015

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The only way it really would have worked is if Snatcher did the deed and then was denied the promised white hat anyway, which is what I was wholly expecting. (Reminds me of 9 that way, where there was an obvious thematic ending which didn't happen in lieu of meaningless bullshit.) Then the theme would have been more that the upper classes bank on the lower classes fighting among one another to maintain superiority, when really the lower classes should band together to force a fairer system. K Waste would have spent in his pants.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

At least Everything Is Awesome was nominated for Original Song, so we'll get a performance of it!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

teagone posted:

I haven't seen Song of the Sea or Kaguya, but I would argue that The Lego Movie definitely deserves to be on that list above the other three at least.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like The Lego Movie, but Everything Is Awesome is a terrible song. I'm not even saying that as much of an insult because that's it's purpose within the movie: to be this terrible, soulless song that is sung ad-nauseum in this soulless, creativity free world.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

axleblaze posted:

I like The Lego Movie, but Everything Is Awesome is a terrible song. I'm not even saying that as much of an insult because that's it's purpose within the movie: to be this terrible, soulless song that is sung ad-nauseum in this soulless, creativity free world.

The remix with The Lonely Island's incredibly infectious, goofy energy actually breathes quite a bit of life into it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I wonder if the film's live action segments hurt it with the voters.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

axleblaze posted:

It also sticks in your head like a bore worm, which is all you need for a pop song to be popular in real life as well.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Where are you guys looking up where Song of the Sea is releasing? I suck at Google today.

I'd be more upset if Kaguya didn't win than at Lego Movie getting snubbed, because there is no way that the latter is a better movie than the former. Not that being a good movie has anything to do with the Oscars...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

Reminder: Happy Feet won an Oscar.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\gently caress, I forgot about that.

weekly font posted:

Probably, though that's such a petty reason to disqualify it (especially considering that the live action segment completely justifies the fact that the rest of it is animated film). Also it was released nearly a year ago, so voters probably forgot everything about it besides "Everything Is Awesome".

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The only thing more depressing than Lego Movie getting snubbed is the fact that Kaguya will probably lose to Dragons 2 (ugh) or Big Hero 6 (ughhh), solely because Oscar voters don't care about small-studio animation.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I've read that technically, the live action bit didn't disqualify them or anything, because so long as a film's 75% animation it can be in this category. Some of the balloteers may have personally let that "disqualify" the film in their minds, maybe, it could have been studio politics, who knows.

The surprise here I think is Boxtrolls, since that had sort of a mixed reception.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

GrandpaPants posted:

Where are you guys looking up where Song of the Sea is releasing? I suck at Google today.
Their Facebook page lists where it is showing at present.

quote:

I'd be more upset if Kaguya didn't win than at Lego Movie getting snubbed, because there is no way that the latter is a better movie than the former. Not that being a good movie has anything to do with the Oscars...

The winners for Best Animated have rarely been bad films, so there's that. And even Happy Feet was a product of 2006 being damned dismal. What else should have won, Monster House?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

The only thing more depressing than Lego Movie getting snubbed is the fact that Kaguya will probably lose to Dragons 2 (ugh) or Big Hero 6 (ughhh), solely because Oscar voters don't care about small-studio animation.

Are you seriously calling Studio Ghibli a "small studio"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Not to mention Ghibli won before, with Spirited Away.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

The Cameo posted:

Are you seriously calling Studio Ghibli a "small studio"

Certainly smaller than Disney or Dreamworks.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

The winners for Best Animated have rarely been bad films, so there's that. And even Happy Feet was a product of 2006 being damned dismal. What else should have won, Monster House?

A Scanner Darkly or Paprika should have won but instead neither were even nominated. And yes Monster House WAS way better than Happy Feet, as was Cars actually. Hell, Flushed Away, which also wasn't nominated, was way better than Happy Feet.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

HorseRenoir posted:

Even then, Dreamworks only has two wins: Shrek and Wallace & Gromit, the latter of which was realistically solely Aardman's.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There's a good amount of overlap between the Oscar list and the Annie Award list for Best Animated Feature:

• Big Hero 6 - 
Walt Disney Animation Studios
• Cheatin' - Plymptoons Studio
• How to Train Your Dragon 2 - DreamWorks Animation SKG
• Song of the Sea - GKIDS/Cartoon Saloon
• The Book of Life - Reel FX Animation Studios/Twentieth Century Fox
• The Boxtrolls - Focus Features/Laika
• The LEGO Movie - Warner Bros. Pictures
• The Tale of The Princess Kaguya - GKIDS/Studio Ghibli

It was a pretty decent year for animation, all in all.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

axleblaze posted:

A Scanner Darkly or Paprika should have won but instead neither were even nominated. And yes Monster House WAS way better than Happy Feet, as was Cars actually. Hell, Flushed Away, which also wasn't nominated, was way better than Happy Feet.

Paprika absolutely should have won, but an animated film with rape imagery isn't going to get an Oscar even if it deserves it because the Academy is full of dorks and people think of Best Animated as Best Children's.

I get not liking Happy Feet, but Monster House is a loving disaster. Cars only didn't win because people wanted to punish Pixar for producing something they liked less than usual. Flushed Away is also an unabsolvably bad film. I think Cars was the family-friendly right option to receive the award taken out of context, but in context I understand why the decision was made.

e: Book of Life deserved a nomination this year, I think it was stronger than HTTYD 2.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Renoistic posted:

I saw Boxtrolls yesterday and I'm not sure how to describe it. Dark? Cynical? When the villain was about to get a white hat all I could think was 'I doubt he could do a worse job than the other white hats so whatever'. The general population will be hosed over in either case, which is a pretty dark message for a children's movie. But hey, the father starts paying attention to his daughter in the end, so that's great. Then it doesn't matter that he uses money meant for a children's hospital to buy cheese! Right?

I also actually felt more sorry for the villain than any of the other characters no matter he evil things he did. This might have been deliberate though, considering his final scene. The main character telling him that no matter what he does and eats, he will still be nothing more than another peon, was pretty heartbreaking.

Of course you could see it another way, that you shouldn't let riches and power define your worth. The villain believes that only if he eats cheese he will be on the same level as the white hats. But the truth is he is more capable and competent than any of them.

Yeah, I feel like the movie was a lot less harsh on the White Hats than it really should have been. Boxtrolls is obviously aiming for a Dickensian urchins-and-oppression kind of vibe, but that should never be held up as a good thing. Like yeah, other animated movies support monarchy, but they're at least internally consistent about the monarchs being good/supported by magic or whatever. The White Hats are ignorant, wasteful, and self-centered, and they're pretty much the reason why the city is gullible and cruel enough to support someone like Snatcher. And if they'd learned a lesson about actual responsibility or destroyed their White Hats that would be great and we wouldn't have this problem. But they don't.

I think the problem might be Steampunk as a nerd/cultural thing. Because a lot of the time it takes the poverty, sexism, and racism of Victorian England and throws it aside because hey, we can put useless gears on our hats and stick boilers on everything. Which isn't a bad thing (until we get to poo poo like "chap-hop" and Imperial apologism) necessarily, but it's shallow and gives you mixed messages when the society you're trying to defend is ostensibly responsible for child slavery and global war crimes.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

Disney is the biggest media conglomerate on the planet, that's basically a BS standard to hold anything to, as everything is smaller than Disney.

I'd argue at this point Ghibli might as well be considered as big or bigger than Dreamworks, the company desperately begging anyone who'll listen to buy them out of the hole they're in.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ghibli's not doing too hot either, financially.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
yeah ghiblis done dude. they dont make anime anymore

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The museum does pretty good business (especially with the occasional Miyazaki short coming) and it's not as though any of the three people they actually allow to direct things there have anything on their plate, though. The studio's in more of an actual transitory state as compared to Dreamworks, especially if Miyazaki and Takahata both are really as done with features as they seem. Dreamworks can't exactly wind down and become a cog in the machine as easily as Ghibli could (Ghibli having done for-hire in-betweens and production assistance practically since their inception).

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

axleblaze posted:

IIRC, wasn't Paprika snubbed because of some dumb technical reason that didn't even let it compete?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, 2006 wasn't as bad as people remember, there were plenty of good candidates that simply weren't nominated. A Scanner Darkly absolutely should been nominated and won that year. I've read that some people have issues considering it to be a animated film, since it was rotoscoped from footage of actors, but the fact is that aspects of the story really only work in an animated film (scramble suit). Additionally, the fact that the animation skewed so close to looking lifelike helped add a sense of otherworldliness and drugginess to the film, which further helped it succeed.

Finally, an adult film winning a Best Animated Oscar would have helped get rid of the idea that animation=children. Honestly, so would the Lego Movie, since it's arguably just as much for adults as it is children, but that didn't happen.

And as for Paprika--well, even the American live action adaptation didn't get nominated for best picture, so obviously the Academy just has a bias against the whole concept.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

Yeah, 2006 wasn't as bad as people remember, there were plenty of good candidates that simply weren't nominated. A Scanner Darkly absolutely should been nominated and won that year. I've read that some people have issues considering it to be a animated film, since it was rotoscoped from footage of actors, but the fact is that aspects of the story really only work in an animated film (scramble suit). Additionally, the fact that the animation skewed so close to looking lifelike helped add a sense of otherworldliness and drugginess to the film, which further helped it succeed.

The arguments against rotoscoping would have to also apply to mocap and that year Monster House was nominated so if that's why it wasn't nominated, that would be bullshit.

I honestly like the animation in Monster House too. It's the only Mocap animated film I've seen that I thought didn't look like complete garbage and in fact looked really good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's a rule that the film has to be 75% animated, so it should not have excluded the LEGO movie, but did prevent Arthur & The Invisibles from nomination. That movie is creepy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

axleblaze posted:

I honestly like the animation in Monster House too. It's the only Mocap animated film I've seen that I thought didn't look like complete garbage and in fact looked really good.

Was there a different Monster House that was released that actually looked good or do people just keep lying about this movie

• Locked thread