Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Macaluso posted:

Was there a different Monster House that was released that actually looked good or do people just keep lying about this movie

I think most people just haven't seen it in 10 years.

That being said, I don't remember the Polar Express looking that bad either.

e: poo poo I thought Polar Express came out after Monster House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clumsy Card House
Jan 6, 2008

I actually liked Happy Feet.

...and the sequel. :cripes:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

computer parts posted:

I think most people just haven't seen it in 10 years.

That being said, I don't remember the Polar Express looking that bad either.

e: poo poo I thought Polar Express came out after Monster House.

Polar Express is an interesting case in that it looked really horrifically bad when it came out... but then video game cutscenes improved in quality and ended up being on the same level, quality-wise, with the Polar Express. Since people are now used to how video game cutsenes look, the Polar Express looks a bit better retroactively. Here's a screen grab:

Basically it's still bad, it's just that we're used to it now. Same thing with Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, I should think (note: I have not revisited FF:TSW to confirm because I do not hate myself).

[Edit: Actually, fine, here's FF:TSW:

And yeah, looks like it came straight out of a Mass Effect cutscene, ridiculous fake film grain and all.]

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

lelandjs posted:

Polar Express is an interesting case in that it looked really horrifically bad when it came out... but then video game cutscenes improved in quality and ended up being on the same level, quality-wise, with the Polar Express. Since people are now used to how video game cutsenes look, the Polar Express looks a bit better retroactively. Here's a screen grab:

Basically it's still bad, it's just that we're used to it now. Same thing with Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, I should think (note: I have not revisited FF:TSW to confirm because I do not hate myself).

And yeah, looks like it came straight out of a Mass Effect cutscene, ridiculous fake film grain and all.]

I actually think it looks better in motion, even if some of the characters (mostly Tom Hanks) are kind of awkward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBauzzrohUo

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Was talking about the academy nominations for animation past and present, and ended up getting utterly pissed off how Despicable Me 2 even got nominated with the "WE NEED A MOM! SINGLE PARENTS ARE FREAKS!" message.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

Was talking about the academy nominations for animation past and present, and ended up getting utterly pissed off how Despicable Me 2 even got nominated with the "WE NEED A MOM! SINGLE PARENTS ARE FREAKS!" message.

That movie is absurdly terrible. And racist.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Worst yet, if Frozen didn't end up with the hype train it did, it probably would've won.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I liked Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

Come at me

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I liked Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

Come at me

I think people are more likely to shuffle away from you now.

(I liked Advent Children, and thought it was cool that they added more stuff to the bluray release.)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Monster House was released in theaters? I love how to train your dragons but 2 is so by the numbers that it will be bullshit if it wins. How is the ghibli flim?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Junkie Disease posted:

How is the ghibli flim?

:stwoon:
It's seriously one of the best animated films I've ever seen.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Art.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Aww :unsmith:

Poor LEGO movie. It was robbed. I like Laika, but Boxtrolls really didn't deserve a place on that list. It was boring and muddled and just plain dull, visually speaking, in comparison to the exuberance and charm of the LEGO movie. My small niece and nephews will sit quietly through pretty much any cartoon film, but they were thoroughly unimpressed by Boxtrolls, and so was I. Quite frankly, the Penguins of Madagascar movie had more going for it (if only for the Werner Herzog cameo at the start and for the sheer joy of hearing John Malkovitch play a psychotic octopus scientist called Dave)

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
I'm assuming The LEGO Movie's absence is mostly down to how important studio lobbying is when it comes to nomination. I'm assuming Sony Pictures had other things on their plate and didn't put as much into lobbying as the other studios did.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Plus as great a movie it is it is also a literal toy commercial and I can see how people on the committee would feel like it was beneath them or would cheapen the award to nominate it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

That was my thought, anyone who didn't see it thought it'd be a 90 minute lego commercial and given the Oscar's love of dramatic and 'deep' storytelling, I'd be very surprised if HTTYD2 doesn't win.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

computer parts posted:

I actually think it looks better in motion, even if some of the characters (mostly Tom Hanks) are kind of awkward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBauzzrohUo

So, when will networks stop trying to sell this as a classic like they do every year?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chieves posted:

So, when will networks stop trying to sell this as a classic like they do every year?

It's better than the claymation stuff.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Sleeveless posted:

Plus as great a movie it is it is also a literal toy commercial and I can see how people on the committee would feel like it was beneath them or would cheapen the award to nominate it.

Robindaybird posted:

That was my thought, anyone who didn't see it thought it'd be a 90 minute lego commercial and given the Oscar's love of dramatic and 'deep' storytelling, I'd be very surprised if HTTYD2 doesn't win.

I haven't seen HTTYD2, but I'm hard-pressed to buy that its storytelling goes as deep as "Anarchy Is Awesome." (Or was that semi-sarcastic? I can't tell anymore.)

The only lesson is the old one - award shows are bullshit. Notice the trend of nominating abjectly mediocre and bad films if there aren't enough good ones to nominate? The sane response to this scenario would be to only nominate and award the films you feel worthy, but the position of the "Academy" of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences is that bloated pretense is more important than honesty. Which is weird, because the organization touts itself with the assumed prestige that comes with film as the great popular art form, but nominating something just so you can fill out a quota of people to invite to your ceremony is, like, the opposite of populism.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Do they actually show The Snowman Stateside? I know its an annual classic in the UK, but I haven't seen it on TV since I was a toddler.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

Do they actually show The Snowman Stateside? I know its an annual classic in the UK, but I haven't seen it on TV since I was a toddler.

Yes, they do.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I am bad at TV. :saddowns:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

lelandjs posted:

I've never heard anyone say the actual rendering was the bad part of either of those movies. In fact the thing that people raved about The Spirits Within when it came out was how good it looked.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

I am bad at TV. :saddowns:

Peter Auty sings like he's never even HEARD of testicles.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sleeveless posted:

That kind of thinking would be pretty rich coming from the organizers of a loving award show.

Chieves posted:

This year they were really pimping the poo poo out of that horrible loving Jim Carrey Christmas Carol. I'd watch Polar Express 1000 times if it meant I never had to see that again.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Das Boo posted:

Rarely.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I will concede that Boxtrolls' story and ending is worth criticism, I will have to disagree and say that it has a place as a nominee for best Animated film. Because while it isn't a great film, it is indeed one of the best animated. I would say that as an example of a dying form of animation, it is near flawless, inspiring questions of 'How did they do that?'. As stop-motion is in a perpetual state of being inches away from death as a commercial artform, I would say it's worth it to put this film along side better ones, and tell people that this one is worth your time.

That said I would probably say that Princess Kaguya is the one most deserving of a mainstream award. Both as a proclamation of traditional animation as a still remarkable and powerful piece of art, and as what may potentially be a last hurrah for Studio Ghibli, the finest animation studio there ever has or will be.

As the Oscars are bullshit and Lego Movie was robbed.:reject:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

I didn't see it on TV that often but we had the videocassette when I was a kid.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
As far as forgetable Christmas films I'd say that Arthur Christmas is criminally underrated. Like I caught it last month on abc family and would be fine if that was rerun more than they do The Polar Express.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Clumsy Card House posted:

I actually liked Happy Feet.

...and the sequel. :cripes:

I'm really surprised people DON'T like Happy Feet.

The song pastiches were VERY well done, the attention to detail on actual animal behavior was great (and made it educational), the score was really good, and the messages were fantastic, ESPECIALLY for children. "Being a slave to religious/traditional thinking against reality is backwards and leads to ruin, progression needs reason and forward thinking" is fantastic, and that goes outside of the other messages about outcasts and such. I didn't like the animation -that- much, but it worked well for the time and the focus.

Also, the big problem with HTTYD2 is that it's not the best animated movie ever due to some mis-steps (I think the biggest problem is that the movie should end with the death and the hopeful beat being flying off on the juvenile dragons, ie. ESB - that final attack/act is basically what the NEXT movie should have opened with - leaving the movie where it did udercut the weight of the emotions that should be felt), but it's still better in totality than the Lego Movie (in which you feel really good at the end because of the message, but the rest of the movie does not hold as much interest on subsequent movies). Lego Movie basically does the "Pixar trick" of ending with the most heartfelt moment of humanity that everyone can relate to, which kind of makes you forget how uneven the rest may have been *cough Toy Story 3.*

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

raditts posted:

I've never heard anyone say the actual rendering was the bad part of either of those movies. In fact the thing that people raved about The Spirits Within when it came out was how good it looked.

It looked so good it almost caused Squaresoft to go tits up!

But I never saw The Spirits Within beyond a seeing a short clip at a local museum exhibit on aliens back in 2005 (which was hella rad, I might add)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I enjoyed The Spirits Within, but haven't seen it since its release, soooo....

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pick posted:

I enjoyed The Spirits Within, but haven't seen it since its release, soooo....

I watched it the other day for maybe the 3rd time? That includes seeing it in the theater. I enjoyed it. Definitely brings back memories because I remember my brother and I were floored at the CG then and we couldn't stop talking about it once we got out of the theater.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I had a friend who was going into animation right around the time Spirits Within came out. He said that the fact that the characters' noses didn't move slightly when they talked (as, apparently, human noses do) drove him to distraction and prevented him from enjoying the movie.

Personally, I was just distracted by how obviously they wanted Alec Baldwin's character to look like Ben Affleck.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Spirits Within was really hurt by trying to be a focused-marketed movie and be all things to all people to make its investment back (which backfired). It plays as a really dull action-sci fi film that doesn't really reach outside of any bounds, which is really bad for animation. It needed to go all out sci fi, or mystical Eastern, or batshit Square, really.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think what everyone was (rightly) expecting from a Final Fantasy film was high fantasy with some steampunk undertones. I don't know the story behind Spirits Within, but it felt like a completely unrelated script got the Final Fantasy brand slapped on it at the last minute.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Das Boo posted:

FYI, there's an HD remastered version of The Snowman that looks gorgeous. It's on Hulu and Netflix last time I checked. It's always been a Christmas tradition with my family (along with Mickey's Christmas Carol).

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
So, uh, Strange Magic is in theaters in a week and its Twitter account only has 800 followers. Are we looking at a monumental flop here? It seems like awareness for this one is at an all-time low. Maybe I just haven't seen any ads.

That said, if no one else is going to subject themselves, I'll gladly sacrifice a bit more of my sanity and volunteer as forum tribute next Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I intend to see it because 1) morbid curiosity and 2) I can buy movie tickets from a machine and not have to actually say the words "I want a ticket to Strange Magic".

• Locked thread