Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Even though I know better, every time I see a commercial for Strange Magic I still think "Isn't this that Epic movie that came out like 2 years ago?"

Phylodox posted:

I think what everyone was (rightly) expecting from a Final Fantasy film was high fantasy with some steampunk undertones. I don't know the story behind Spirits Within, but it felt like a completely unrelated script got the Final Fantasy brand slapped on it at the last minute.

It was definitely meant to be a Final Fantasy movie from the ground up, but it was a movie that was made in the wake of Final Fantasy 7, which is probably what poisoned it concept-wise.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Phylodox posted:

I think what everyone was (rightly) expecting from a Final Fantasy film was high fantasy with some steampunk undertones. I don't know the story behind Spirits Within, but it felt like a completely unrelated script got the Final Fantasy brand slapped on it at the last minute.

I really liked the world and the setting of TSW. The story, say what you will about it, but I liked the weird duck-aliens and energy dragon things that sucked the souls out of people.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

raditts posted:

Even though I know better, every time I see a commercial for Strange Magic I still think "Isn't this that Epic movie that came out like 2 years ago?"

It was definitely meant to be a Final Fantasy movie from the ground up, but it was a movie that was made in the wake of Final Fantasy 7, which is probably what poisoned it concept-wise.

Square badly wanted it to succeed with American markets, so they tried to market it to Americans as much as possible. As I stated earlier, it was a test-focused film that was basically a result of marketing. Action/Sci-fi, guns, aliens rip-off, trying to make the main male character look like Ben Affleck, marketing the female character's "sex appeal," etc. but there was still a big Japanese mythology backdrop to it as well to appeal to the native country. It's a very interesting film, for that reason, even if it doesn't quite work, imo.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

I really liked the world and the setting of TSW. The story, say what you will about it, but I liked the weird duck-aliens and energy dragon things that sucked the souls out of people.

I don't remember how good it was or not, just that it was so far removed from just about everything anyone had come to associate with the Final Fantasy brand (except for a character named Cid, I think) that I think it was just off-putting for the audience at large. It would be like a Star Wars sequel that was suddenly set in modern times and involved orcs and magic*.

*Which, yes, might be awesome, but it would be really, weirdly un-Star Warsy.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It was also directed by Hironobu Sakaguchi, who created the series but had never directed anything before. His background was in programming like all early game desingers were.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's a Nico-Marlett-designed film coming about about a moon guardian called Mune. It's Italian or something? Trailer's out but not on Youtube so I can't embed it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Pick posted:

There's a Nico-Marlett-designed film coming about about a moon guardian called Mune. It's Italian or something? Trailer's out but not on Youtube so I can't embed it.

Here's the trailer in Italian.

https://it.cinema.yahoo.com/video/mune-il-guardiano-della-luna-084618776.html

Zero subtitles, but you can still kinda see what's going on, and can still get a feel for the animation.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Phylodox posted:

I don't remember how good it was or not, just that it was so far removed from just about everything anyone had come to associate with the Final Fantasy brand (except for a character named Cid, I think) that I think it was just off-putting for the audience at large. It would be like a Star Wars sequel that was suddenly set in modern times and involved orcs and magic*.

*Which, yes, might be awesome, but it would be really, weirdly un-Star Warsy.

While they were smart enough to have a Cid, they had the audacity to spell it Sid. I will not stand for it, no sir. :colbert:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
BREAKING

Dreamworks shutting down San Francisco office, laying off 500 across the board.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
Ugh. The job hunt is going to be brutal for those guys...

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Shaocaholica posted:

BREAKING

Dreamworks shutting down San Francisco office, laying off 500 across the board.

It's legit. What the hell happened, I thought Dreamworks was doing pretty well? Or is this just plain corporate bullshit at its finest?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I imagine it's a little of Column A and Column B, HTTYD2 did very well, but Turbo bombed as did Peabody and Sherman. iirc, Rise of the Guardians also underperformed.

They've been hit or miss, and likely a CEO is panicking and trying to stop perceived bleeding of money by cutting things down.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

It's legit. What the hell happened, I thought Dreamworks was doing pretty well? Or is this just plain corporate bullshit at its finest?
They're doing great, they just hired a single animator with 1,000 arms who works for a fraction of the cost.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I hear that Steve (the guy's name is Steve, with the arms) is working on a movie where the El Dorado guys dig up lost Egyptian treasure with the help of Moses' ghost.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Dreamworks has been having a pretty rough last few years, with most of their films making disappointing numbers at the box office. I'm honestly not particularly surprised at this news; Dreamworks has been stretching themselves too thin lately, with seemingly no strategy other than throwing tons of films out there and hoping one of them becomes a successful franchise. I think paring back and focusing their efforts on a smaller amount of films will benefit Dreamworks in the long run.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dreamworks executive: "I don't understand! We made the time dog movie, and the fast snail movie! Why is there not any money?"

The general public: "If only... they could hear our cries for more Shreks..." *single tear*

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

FactsAreUseless posted:

They're doing great, they just hired a single animator with 1,000 arms who works for a fraction of the cost.

Their new studio is in China, not India :v:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

neonnoodle posted:

Their new studio is in China, not India :v:
Uh, are you trying to imply that a Chinese person with one thousand (1,000) arms would not be able to reach the keyboard to make movies because they are so short? I find that racist.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
For context, here's Dreamworks' recent box office history, which has been terrible in the last few years.

Madagascar 3 was their last big inarguable hit in June 2012, taking in $750 million worldwide off a $145 million budget. Then, in late 2012, Rise of the Guardians was a major debacle. It too cost $145 million, but it grossed just $103 million in the US and $306 million worldwide. Dreamworks had to take an $87 million writedown for its performance.

The Croods was a bright spot in early 2013, pulling in just under $600 million worldwide off a budget of $135 million. The profits there basically righted the ship and canceled out the Guardians flop. Of course, right after that came Turbo, the NASCAR snail movie that captured the hearts of zero Americans. It grossed $282 million off a budget of $135 million and became the first Dreamworks movie in seven years not to make at least $100 million in the United States. Dreamworks only announced a $13.5 million writedown for Turbo, but it turns out the SEC is now investigating that - which makes sense, as Turbo grossed less than Guardians yet had a writedown a fraction of its size.

Things didn't get much better in 2014, as Mr. Peabody and Sherman grossed even less than Turbo worldwide. It managed to break $100 million in the states, but took in just $272 million worldwide. That led the company to take a $57 million writedown for it. For those playing along at home, that's more than $150 million in writedowns in fifteen months.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 was a smash-hit worldwide last year with $618 million worldwide, but it actually grossed about $40 million less than its predecessor in the States, which was a big blow for Dreamworks - they hoped it would gross $40 million MORE than the original, and that was a rough $80 million swing for them to stomach. Stock prices for the company plummeted more than 15 percent when its opening weekend results were released and fell 35 percent in 2014 as a whole.

And most recently, likely the move that led Dreamworks to make these layoffs, was that Penguins of Madagascar vastly underperformed at the box office as well. It had a disastrous showing in the States with just $80 million, and even though its overseas grosses saved it from being a true flop - it'll end up making about $330-350 million worldwide - the company likely made these layoffs in lieu of another writedown.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

CRINDY posted:

...the company likely made these layoffs in lieu of another writedown.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/dreamworks-animation-restructuring-to-cut-500-jobs-with-290m-charge-1201355918/

$290mil write down including restructuring costs from closing a big rear end studio.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

http://deadline.com/2015/01/dreamworks-animation-restructuring-to-cut-500-jobs-with-290m-charge-1201355918/

$290mil write down including restructuring costs from closing a big rear end studio.

Oh my god they pushed Boss Baby to a January release. A Dreamworks movie so bad Fox pushed it to January. Holy poo poo, that's going to be bad.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CRINDY posted:

Oh my god they pushed Boss Baby to a January release. A Dreamworks movie so bad Fox pushed it to January. Holy poo poo, that's going to be bad.
Oh come on, how could a movie called Boss Baby be bad? The name alone makes me laugh. A boss... who is a baby! A baby... who is your boss!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Boss Baby, Turbo - it's just loving amazing how movies like these ever got out of the planning stages. Makes you wonder whose the idiot that keeps pitching them and what dirty secrets they have over everyone else.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

CRINDY posted:

For context, here's Dreamworks' recent box office history, which has been terrible in the last few years.

Madagascar 3 was their last big inarguable hit in June 2012, taking in $750 million worldwide off a $145 million budget. Then, in late 2012, Rise of the Guardians was a major debacle. It too cost $145 million, but it grossed just $103 million in the US and $306 million worldwide. Dreamworks had to take an $87 million writedown for its performance.

The Croods was a bright spot in early 2013, pulling in just under $600 million worldwide off a budget of $135 million. The profits there basically righted the ship and canceled out the Guardians flop. Of course, right after that came Turbo, the NASCAR snail movie that captured the hearts of zero Americans. It grossed $282 million off a budget of $135 million and became the first Dreamworks movie in seven years not to make at least $100 million in the United States. Dreamworks only announced a $13.5 million writedown for Turbo, but it turns out the SEC is now investigating that - which makes sense, as Turbo grossed less than Guardians yet had a writedown a fraction of its size.

Things didn't get much better in 2014, as Mr. Peabody and Sherman grossed even less than Turbo worldwide. It managed to break $100 million in the states, but took in just $272 million worldwide. That led the company to take a $57 million writedown for it. For those playing along at home, that's more than $150 million in writedowns in fifteen months.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 was a smash-hit worldwide last year with $618 million worldwide, but it actually grossed about $40 million less than its predecessor in the States, which was a big blow for Dreamworks - they hoped it would gross $40 million MORE than the original, and that was a rough $80 million swing for them to stomach. Stock prices for the company plummeted more than 15 percent when its opening weekend results were released and fell 35 percent in 2014 as a whole.

And most recently, likely the move that led Dreamworks to make these layoffs, was that Penguins of Madagascar vastly underperformed at the box office as well. It had a disastrous showing in the States with just $80 million, and even though its overseas grosses saved it from being a true flop - it'll end up making about $330-350 million worldwide - the company likely made these layoffs in lieu of another writedown.

Jesus, you know something's bad when HTTYD 2 somehow turns out to be a net loss. :stare:

Like Robindaybird said their output has been hit or miss for awhile now, but stuff like HTTYD proved to me that they are capable of more than just endless Shrek sequels. At the very least they do (did?) have some real talent working there and it's unfortunate that a good chunk of that talent may now be out of a job.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 23, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

Boss Baby, Turbo - it's just loving amazing how movies like these ever got out of the planning stages. Makes you wonder whose the idiot that keeps pitching them and what dirty secrets they have over everyone else.
It's probably Brad Bird.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm really stunned by the direction they took after HTTYD. Everything just seems so... insincere, for lack of a better word.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I really liked The Croods, but to be honest their attempts at better, more serious films have been troubled.

CRINDY forgot Puss in Boots, which was somewhat profitable with $550,000,000 globally on a budget of $150,000,000.

What's funny is that their "safe" films (NASCAR, reboot of known franchise) loving tanked.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

The big problem for Dreamworks - other than the dire nature of their original films these days - is that they chased the money with their franchises by releasing all those TV shows and diluted their brands - short-term gain from TV advertising revenue masking long-term loss from a smaller market.

It makes sense for stuff like Monsters vs. Aliens, which was a decent success but couldn't spawn a sequel, to have a TV show. For How To Train Your Dragon and Penguins of Madagascar in particular, putting out the animated series on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network diluted the brand and made the eventual movie releases less of an event. Seriously, if there are 20 hours of Penguins of Madagascar in reruns on Nick, why would parents pay more than that for a not-very-different movie adaptation?

I'm 100 percent convinced that's what killed HTTYD2. And as a result I'm worried about what it means for Kung Fu Panda 3 (KFP2 grossed $50 million less than KFP1 in the States, too).

If Home doesn't do gangbusters in March - and I feel like it might not, the marketing is middle-of-the-road - the only successful franchise they'll have launched in the last five years is The Croods, and their other franchises are dying on the vine.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
That's what happens when you develop your films by casting chicken bones.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Home is about aliens coming to earth, not finding any military resistance whatsoever and then putting the entire human population into a concentration camp in the Australian desert. Blomkamp should have directed. There's also a bit about speciocide.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 23, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Robindaybird posted:

Listen, it's a snail.....but it goes fast! Surely this idea is worth putting a full two-minute trailer during every single commercial break on Cartoon Network for the entire summer.

They loving AGGRESSIVELY advertised that movie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mean, this is really lovely news in my opinion, it's just not unexpected at this point.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Waffleman_ posted:

Listen, it's a snail.....but it goes fast! Surely this idea is worth putting a full two-minute trailer during every single commercial break on Cartoon Network for the entire summer.

And I wonder how much of the disinterest isn't as so much 'it's a snail on steroids in NASCAR' as much as being loving repelled by the aggressive advertising. It wasn't just CN, it was on every channel I regularly watched.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Robindaybird posted:

And I wonder how much of the disinterest isn't as so much 'it's a snail on steroids in NASCAR' as much as being loving repelled by the aggressive advertising. It wasn't just CN, it was on every channel I regularly watched.

gently caress, I don't even watch TV all that much, and I still saw adds for it all the drat time.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Robindaybird posted:

Turbo is one of those movies that seems perfect to a marketing person and absolutely awful to like any actual human being. Like it's Ratatouille plus Cars! Those are two things that were popular so how can combining them possibly fail???

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So apparently Don Hertzfeldt just got his script for a feature length animated movie optioned by the production company that made You're Next and The Guest.

Let me be the first to say yyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!! :woop:

Also that same production company is apparently putting out an animated film by Charlie Kaufman.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh come on, how could a movie called Boss Baby be bad? The name alone makes me laugh. A boss... who is a baby! A baby... who is your boss!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/563302 ???

Waffleman_ posted:

SNAILED IT

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Don't forget the Netflix Turbo cartoon!

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

axleblaze posted:

So apparently Don Hertzfeldt just got his script for a feature length animated movie optioned by the production company that made You're Next and The Guest.

Let me be the first to say yyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!! :woop:

Also that same production company is apparently putting out an animated film by Charlie Kaufman.

Oh thank god that's fantastic news. It's Such A Beautiful Day kills me every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm also seeing his new short on Saturday. That should be awesome as well.

• Locked thread