Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
So I watched this movie the other night - the third highest grossing film of all time, btw - and I have some questions:

1. Why can't Thor briefly pick up his hammer, and then he can?
2. How/why does the Hulk turn "smart" at the end of the movie? What changes?
3. Why is Captain America a tactical leader? How does getting a super serum turn a 98 pound beta into a tactician?
4. Why doesn't Hawkeye run out of arrows?
5. How many people do you think died during the alien invasion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

redshirt posted:

So I watched this movie the other night - the third highest grossing film of all time, btw - and I have some questions:

3. Why is Captain America a tactical leader? How does getting a super serum turn a 98 pound beta into a tactician?

3. is because he is a hardened military leader who helped end WW2

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Hawkeye does run out of arrows though. It makes him look like a total bitch, it's pretty lol.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TOILETLORD posted:

yeah like how oblivious do you have to be to not realize this?

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
also he's Captain America, it's right there in his name

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TOILETLORD posted:

How did he acquire this tactical knowledge? During the Captain America montage scene?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Harald posted:

also he's Captain America, it's right there in his name

Wasn't that just a stage name?

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

redshirt posted:

How did he acquire this tactical knowledge? During the Captain America montage scene?

uhh by fighting nazis

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Harald posted:

uhh by fighting nazis

So every and all soldiers become tactical leaders by fighting in a war?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

redshirt posted:

yes? if they know more than the people around them and were trained right.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

redshirt posted:

just super-soldiers

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TOILETLORD posted:

yes? if they know more than the people around them and were trained right.

And what training has Cap received? All I can remember is he did some USO's shows, than action montages.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

redshirt posted:

he was literally in charge of a squad that did special missions to fight nazis, maybe you should familiarize yourself with the backstory more.

quote:

Rogers' battle experience and training make him an expert tactician and an excellent field commander, with his teammates frequently deferring to his orders in battle. Thor has stated that Rogers is one of the very few humans he will take orders from and follow "through the gates of Hades".[129] Rog

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

argondamn posted:

just super-soldiers

So it's the serum, then?

Can we get some real nerds in here to answer this important question, please?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

redshirt posted:

And what training has Cap received? All I can remember is he did some USO's shows, than action montages.

he did boot camp too.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

also it's not like he was a grunt, he was the leader of his little squad with years of experience and the only one in his squad who ever died actually didn't

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

redshirt posted:

Wasn't that just a stage name?

It's a stage name in the same way Iron Man is a stage name, he is not literally a man made of Iron

also the Super Serum improved his brain too which helps his tactician skill tree, but Steve Rogers already had a great mind and heart even before becoming Cap

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

argondamn posted:

also it's not like he was a grunt, he was the leader of his little squad with years of experience and the only one in his squad who ever died actually didn't

Years of experience? He couldn't have more than a couple.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

Years of experience? He couldn't have more than a couple.

He had a lot of time to think while he was a popsicle

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Don Tacorleone posted:

It's a stage name in the same way Iron Man is a stage name, he is not literally a man made of Iron

also the Super Serum improved his brain too which helps his tactician skill tree, but Steve Rogers already had a great mind and heart even before becoming Cap

yes he is since originally the suit was made out of steel, steel is just steeled iron that's why he is called iron man. retard. steel is iron.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

TOILETLORD posted:

yes he is since originally the suit was made out of steel, steel is just steeled iron that's why he is called iron man. retard. steel is iron.

then he should be called Steeled Iron Suit Wearing Man

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

1. A goof on the part of the filmmakers.
2. The Hulk was faking at being stupid so that he could get away with stuff.
3. While he was a 98lb beta, Steve Rogers was way into nerd stuff like Chess and Dungeons and Dragons, accumulating a wealth of tactical experience.
4. He would but over the course of the movie he never fires more arrows than would have fit in his quiver without needing to reload.
5. Probably fewer than die on an average day in New York because it was the most ineptly planned invasion in history. The aliens chose to halfassedly strafe a single civilian neighborhood rather than launch coordinated strikes against industrial/military targets.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd accept the answer that the super serum somehow programmed his brain to be an incredible tactician, but that doesn't seem very likely, as tactics are learned and specific, not instinctual or general.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
You have just discovered the harsh truth that superheros don't make any sense

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Don Tacorleone posted:

then he should be called Steeled Iron Suit Wearing Man

steel is short for steeled iron.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
1. I don't remember this at all. He couldn't pick up the hammer in Thor 1 because he was an asshat and his dad punished him by making him not able to pick up the hammer until he proved he was less of an asshat.

2. That's his secret, Captain. He's always angry.

3. The serum literally makes him "be all he can be". Captain America is "peak human", meaning that any feat any human can do or has ever done, Captain America can do it. He can bench press as much as the strongest Olympic weightlifter, he can shitpost better than any GBS poster.

4. Uh..... Hawkeye totally did run out of arrows though.

5. A couple of thousand. Thanks to the heroic efforts of Earth's mightiest heroes, it wasn't even as bad as half of a 9/11.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

redshirt posted:

he was p[retending the whole time

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Before the U.S. was ever officially involved in the war, Captain America was fighting Nazis. Since then he has gone on to lead dozens of teams including the All Winners Squad, Invaders, and most notably the Avengers.

But what was it about Captain America that made him such a great leader? The comic universe is full of heroes, so why him, and what can we learn from it?

1. Stand For Something

Few characters of literature, let alone comics, can still be recognized 70 years later as a cultural icon.

Unlike many other characters at the time, Captain America wasn’t just a guy with super strength, special abilities, and a fancy costume. Before anything else, he was created to stand for something.

“He stands for America as an ideal, not America as it’s practiced,” says Englehart who wrote “Captain America and the Falcon” during the Vietnam War. In addition, he stands for freedom, liberty, justice, and doing what’s right.

Leaders in our own lives should take note from this. If you truly want to leave a mark 10, 20, 70 years from now, it’s not going to come from your amazing talents or special skills.

The difference you make as a leader will stand heavily on what it was you stood for.

So what are your over arching missions or values that drive your actions?

2. Lead by Example

Have you ever seen the leader in myth, fiction, or comics sit on the sidelines as the rest of the team goes charging into battle? Think of Achilles, Odysseus, or even Harry Potter.

Captain America was no different. Whether fighting Nazi’s during World War II or aliens from the Kree Empire, Captain America was leading his team every step of the way.

Do our own lives reflect this belief of leading by example? I believe so.

Working under someone who has no understanding of what it takes to do the job is one of the best ways to demotivate your team. Likewise, there may be no better feeling of motivation than when you see your manager getting their hands dirty helping take on the very work you find a challenge.

3. Use Your Tools

Who would Wolverine be without the claws, Green Lantern without the ring, or Captain America without the shield?

They would be completely different characters.

Chris Evans in one interview mentioned how you start to see Captain America reach his full potential once he gains his shield.

Rightfully so, if you saw the movie that shield did everything from blocking laser guns to ricocheting off of walls to make impossible take downs.

Although we probably don’t carry a red, white, and blue shield to the office every day, we each have our own tools of the trade. The exceptional talents we bring to the job that show our value.

Captain America didn’t try to become a human Swiss army knife, lugging around bazookas, swords, and what have you. Likewise, we shouldn’t try to hone our skills into a cornucopia of shallow talents.

Be like Captain America, take your core talents and make them shine. If you like shields, become the best shield tossing, bullet blocking, hero in the world.

4. Break the Rules to Make the Right Things Happen

A few years ago Captain America made national news when he was the center of a polarizing event happening at Marvel.

Reflecting on the events leading out of 9/11, Mark Miller crafted a story in the Marvel Universe reflecting the dilemma we face when conflicted between greater security and personal freedom.

9/11 had made us vulnerable in a way many Americans had never felt before. In light of the tragedy, “we accepted a lessening of liberties in the forms of wire tapping, e-mail monitoring, lengthier airplane boarding procedures, broadened government ability to engage in search and seizure, expanded regulation of financial transactions, and easing of restrictions on foreign intelligence gathering on U.S. soil.“

So how would our country react to a similar tragedy, caused by super powers gone wrong? And where would our heroes stand?

Such is the concept Miller grabbed hold of in Marvel’s Civil War. When a renegade mutant uses his powers to blow up a school of children in Stanford, the government passes the Superhuman Registration Act, “requiring everyone with superhuman abilities in the United States to register with the federal government, reveal their identities to authorities, and receive formal training. When some characters oppose the law on the grounds that it violates civil liberties and removes the protection that secret identities provide, conflict arises between pro-registration and anti-registration heroes.”

Captain America has to make a difficult decision. Enforce the government’s law, meaning tracking down old friends and imprisoning them if they won’t come forward, or become an outlaw fighting for civil liberties and freedom.

He follows through staying true to what he stands for, protecting our freedoms. Ultimately he pays for the freedom of his friends and heroes with his life, as he is shot in the back by a sniper outside a federal courthouse after turning himself in.

Captain America understood the importance of doing what’s right even if the rules went against it.

Legendary leaders understand when to take risks and disregard rules when a greater good can be achieved. Steve Jobs, Richard Branson, and Sam Walton are just a few recognizable rule breakers who demonstrated this art of leadership.

Have you ever let an opportunity go by because rules stopped you? Ask yourself, “What would Captain America do?”

Become A Super Leader

If you are going to lead, you might as well do it in style. Captain America embodies the qualities I look for in a leader, what about you?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
2. the hulk played dumb so he could just whip it out and rub one out whenever and whereever he wanted to.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Applewhite posted:

1. A goof on the part of the filmmakers.
2. The Hulk was faking at being stupid so that he could get away with stuff.
3. While he was a 98lb beta, Steve Rogers was way into nerd stuff like Chess and Dungeons and Dragons, accumulating a wealth of tactical experience.
4. He would but over the course of the movie he never fires more arrows than would have fit in his quiver without needing to reload.
5. Probably fewer than die on an average day in New York because it was the most ineptly planned invasion in history. The aliens chose to halfassedly strafe a single civilian neighborhood rather than launch coordinated strikes against industrial/military targets.

1. It's a pretty deliberate scene, referring back to the original Thor movie, implying Thor is briefly not worthy of the hammer. I'm wondering why? Because he got punked by Loki? That scene where Thor is trapped in the cage and falling from the sky is wicked cool though.
2. He seemed pretty "Ragey" while rampaging through the Hellicarrier.
3. I'd accept this as an answer.
4. While Hawkeye does run out of arrows at the end of the battle, he's fully stocked again when the team all confronts Loki at the very end. Regardless, Hawkeye was pretty badass in the movie.
5. I don't know man, a lot of buildings got wrecked. There's no way a lot of people didn't die, though of course because of PG-13 we don't see a single body. The aliens were limited in their attack by the location of the portal and the fight from the Avengers.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

OP I noticed you did not have any questions about The Scarlet Spy, played by Scarlett Johansson

Interesting, perhaps you should check your privilege?

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
its a movie for kids so .......

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Don Tacorleone posted:

OP I noticed you did not have any questions about The Scarlet Spy, played by Scarlett Johansson

Well, I chock her up to the Whedon inspired trend of small, normal women who somehow can take on dozens of huge dudes no problem.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Don Tacorleone posted:

the only thing worth talking about is how she had implants and they looked good then she got them out and now she just looks weird and out of place where ever she is since she was use as a pair of walking tits since she can't act.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

the serum made cap a really good soldier. it improved his muscles and the tactical part of his brain, duh

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Network Pesci posted:

1. I don't remember this at all. He couldn't pick up the hammer in Thor 1 because he was an asshat and his dad punished him by making him not able to pick up the hammer until he proved he was less of an asshat.

2. That's his secret, Captain. He's always angry.

3. The serum literally makes him "be all he can be". Captain America is "peak human", meaning that any feat any human can do or has ever done, Captain America can do it. He can bench press as much as the strongest Olympic weightlifter, he can shitpost better than any GBS poster.

4. Uh..... Hawkeye totally did run out of arrows though.

5. A couple of thousand. Thanks to the heroic efforts of Earth's mightiest heroes, it wasn't even as bad as half of a 9/11.

1. After Thor escapes the falling prison, he goes to pick up his hammer in a field, and he can't. Then, cut back a few scenes later, and he can.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Parallax Scroll posted:

the serum made cap a really good soldier. it improved his muscles and the tactical part of his brain, duh

There's no tactical part of the brain.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

1. It's a pretty deliberate scene, referring back to the original Thor movie, implying Thor is briefly not worthy of the hammer. I'm wondering why? Because he got punked by Loki? That scene where Thor is trapped in the cage and falling from the sky is wicked cool though.
2. He seemed pretty "Ragey" while rampaging through the Hellicarrier.
3. I'd accept this as an answer.
4. While Hawkeye does run out of arrows at the end of the battle, he's fully stocked again when the team all confronts Loki at the very end. Regardless, Hawkeye was pretty badass in the movie.
5. I don't know man, a lot of buildings got wrecked. There's no way a lot of people didn't die, though of course because of PG-13 we don't see a single body. The aliens were limited in their attack by the location of the portal and the fight from the Avengers.

1. It was meant to be deleted before the final cut.
2. Rage makes fools of us all.
3. N/A
4. He stocked up between scenes.
5. Loki did a bad job of choosing a location for the portal, just another item on a long list of how poorly coordinated/planned the invasion was. I'll concede that several people were probably killed in building collapses.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

redshirt posted:

There's no tactical part of the brain.

its a comic book human being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

probs been mentioned already but when those aliens opened up the portal why didn't they open it above Washington DC to capture the white house or something? or near the pentagon?

why do it over manhattan or whatever?

• Locked thread