Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Igor Strelkov posted:

Add someone from the top five of the next two drafts and they could be even better. As long as Flip doesn't blow it.

Flip's drafted pretty well. He traded Trey Burke for Shabazz and Dieng, which is looking like a brilliant deal right now. LaVine isn't setting the world on fire, but he does look like he could become a decent rotation piece and I think I like him more than any of the guys taken in the next 5 or so (I guess Nurkic looks better, but at the time of drafting he wouldn't have seen the floor).

The only bad move Flip's made is getting Thad Young, but that was completely the ownership with their stupid goal of winning the same number of games post Love to prove some stupid point. In a vacuum that trade wasn't that bad, Thad Young is a better player than the late pick they'd expect from the Heat, but it just made no sense for the Wolves.

Death By The Blues posted:

Okafor would be a great fit for them. They have good perimeter/individual defenders in Rubio and Wiggins so Okafor doesn't need to be a rim protector or have defenses heavily rely on him.

They need some rim protection right now, every team in the league does with today's PGs, though Dieng looks like he might become a plus in that area soon. If Thad leaves, Wolves need a PF or a defensive big. Obviously, you get #1 you probably take Okafor regardless.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I think half of the Kings' baskets against the Timberwolves were dunks. I'd put money on that being true for the first half. Their defense is really bad

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Blinkman987 posted:

India and the Middle East are a few thousand km apart, so that's cool.

Someone once told me naan and pitas were the same thing

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

Someone once told me naan and pitas were the same thing

You punched that cracker right in his lilly white face, right?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

You punched that cracker right in his lilly white face, right?

Was a super Chinese dude. Or Japanese. Same poo poo.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The AJC is reporting the Hawks are about to be sold. It'll be interesting to see if it's to a local group, they seem like the most likely candidate for relocation right now. Still tricky, though:

quote:

[U]nder the terms of the new bond agreement, the Hawks cannot leave Philips Arena for at least seven years even if they pay off the bonds in their entirety. If the Hawks do leave, there's a $75 million "early termination penalty" that the Spirit or the new owners that want a team elsewhere would be socked with. [...]

[The team] could theoretically pay off the remaining $123.5 million in bonds off tomorrow and the Hawks could leave, but they cannot leave until the 2018-19 season at earliest without also forking over another $75 million in addition to the $123.5 million or so left remaining on the bonds.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 2, 2015

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If the franchise was gunna move you'd think they'd float out rumors first to dampen any blowback, but maybe not with the Hawks...

Other news, Kevin Martin may be close to returning, get the NBA Trade Machine fired up!

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/287302981.html

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Lockback posted:

If the franchise was gunna move you'd think they'd float out rumors first to dampen any blowback, but maybe not with the Hawks...

Other news, Kevin Martin may be close to returning, get the NBA Trade Machine fired up!

kevin martin for carl landry and maybe some picks involved. it will happen

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

http://imgur.com/a/OmMVI

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Niwrad posted:

Why is Nate Robinson so bad now?

He's always been pretty bad

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009
Does the selling of the Hawks make them a likely candidate to be moved? Their support is weak, but it's still a huge market and a good basketball team.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

they and the Bucks are the only teams I can envision moving now that Ranadive bought the Kings and Seattle still really wants (and should have) a team, so yeah it's definitely possible.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
pay attention to boogie

http://i.imgur.com/vN77zdX.gifv

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Wouldn't you react the same way if you had a coach you finally liked and respected, the team was winning, you got meningitis and then everything was ripped away from you and replaced with Tyrone Corbin.

I don't blame Boogie, the Malone firing was baffling and no good answer was really given.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

crazycello posted:

Does the selling of the Hawks make them a likely candidate to be moved? Their support is weak, but it's still a huge market and a good basketball team.

The city is big but it's generally a pretty bad pro-sports market. A bigger problem would be how to manage the "East to West" move. You could slide Minnesota, NO, or Memphis east.

NO and Memphis are further east, but MN would make more sense in a division with Milwaukee and Chicago.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Spoeank posted:

I don't blame Boogie, the Malone firing was baffling and no good answer was really given.

The Stauskus video is all the answer you need. Ranadive is surrounded by sycophantic yes men which doesn't work if you think you know how to run a basketball team. Same issue with Dolan. Ranadive probably got it in his head that the Kings are a top 3 team in the West, his team wasn't lighting the world on fire, and so he convinced himself it must be the coaches fault, not the eh roster he was building.

Shame too because the Kings looked like they were finally trending up.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

The city is big but it's generally a pretty bad pro-sports market. A bigger problem would be how to manage the "East to West" move. You could slide Minnesota, NO, or Memphis east.

NO and Memphis are further east, but MN would make more sense in a division with Milwaukee and Chicago.

Memphis probably makes the most sense if you want to do as little realignment as possible, though

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Ranadive seems like he is trying to follow the Warriors plan. Even taking Malone and Mullin away from them. Then he saw that the Warriors were one of the highest paced teams and thought it would be a good fit with the Kings

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

IcePhoenix posted:

Memphis probably makes the most sense if you want to do as little realignment as possible, though

I wish that New Orleans was in the Southeast instead of Washington. In this situation I don't know what team would go West but it'd be fun to see New Orleans try to make rivalries with Charlotte and Atlanta.

Edit: The only way I could imagine this happening is two expansion teams added to the West, New Orleans moving to the East, OKC joining the best division, and one of the new West teams being Seattle.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 2, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Lockback posted:

Yeah but then you don't have "Spurs East" anymore. What kind of Spurs would the Seattle Superhawks even be.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Anthony Davis running the East for the next decade would be cool, too.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

I wonder if he'll be scoring 20 points per game like he was before the injury

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Ok, that's great.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Igor Strelkov posted:

I wonder if he'll be scoring 20 points per game like he was before the injury

Shabazz and Wiggins are getting more touches, so probably not, but that team needs anyone who can play competently so I think he'll still look good.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
http://www.nba.com/raptors/derozan-practices-raptors-nears-return-lineup

quote:

The Toronto Raptors kicked off their first practice of 2015 with a welcome addition to the fray. DeMar DeRozan went through his first full session since sustaining a torn left adductor longus tendon in a loss against the Dallas Mavericks on November 28th.

“Today was my first day really out there practicing, being out there with the guys doing everything,” DeRozan said. “Today felt good.”

While there isn’t a firm date for his return, his recovery has been going well and returning to practice means that DeRozan is nearing the light at the end of the tunnel. It has been a long month for the fifth-year guard. In addition to dealing with the first serious injury of his career, DeRozan has had to learn patience while he remains on the sideline. He's kept a cool demeanour, acted as sideline reporter after a recent victory, and slipped on his videographer’s hat to film some scenes for Open Gym during the Raptors' current road trip, but the time off has been difficult.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spoeank posted:

Wouldn't you react the same way if you had a coach you finally liked and respected, the team was winning, you got meningitis and then everything was ripped away from you and replaced with Tyrone Corbin.

Remember that the FO isn't talking to anyone. The players found out about Malone from Twitter and found out that Corbin was locked in for the year from Twitter. No players have any idea what is going on.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

:golfclap:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

they've rightfully given up

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

Why even have the game

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Man I am excited to see that box score.

JR Smith gonna shoot 40 times.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Vertical Lime posted:

Just pick 5 guys from the stands, they can't be any worse at not running the magical triangle.

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.
Why do the Knicks even exist? Even the Post has given up on making fun of them. They'd rather talk about the Jets. That has to be the final straw.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Clutch is running a half marathon in the mascot gear again to support the cause of organ donation. Dude is nuts, and that's why he is the best.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

Fancy ways to look at shooting

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vertical Lime posted:

Lookin forward to see them just lay down and die on the battlefield like real warriors.

Sandeep
Mar 27, 2002

I should be working on Summoner 3 instead of engaging in political discussions

hitze posted:

This is awesome. Also Chris Paul is really good.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Larry Sanders is out indefinitely for "personal reasons," according to Jason Kidd.

cfgardner @cf_gardner · 11 minutes ago
I asked for details: Kidd said, "It's just personal. There's nothing I can give you more. That's the way the question will be answered."

Zach Lowe @ZachLowe_NBA · 6 minutes ago
Kidd used this same language re "personal reasons" last season w/ Blatche, and it was code for Kidd telling him to stay away from the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

hitze posted:

Dope

Curry and Wes Matthews are the only all red ones

• Locked thread