Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Goals:

- 52 books again
- once again at least 20% of the books should be from female authors
- at least 10 different nationalities (no idea how difficult/easy this one is)
- The Blind Owl if I can find it in the library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Good post modern books: Something by Thomas Pynchon (Gravity's Rainbow is hard to read but one of the best books ever written, Mason & Dixon is easier + very good, Crying of Lot 49 isn't 1000 pages long and some people like it but I thought it was bad.), J R (haven't read but everyone loves it, also difficult to read), White Noise (same as J R), If on a winter's night a traveller (reads very nicely, quite short, not as good as the others but still very good), Nabokov stuff (Pale Fire is really great)

Good absurdist books: I'm not really sure about these but La Peste is good. Stuff by Samuel Beckett? I've never really been sure of the difference between absurdist and just existential literature so find something someone else calls absurdist and good and read that. Dostoeyevsky? IDK. I've heard people call My Idea of Fun by WIll Self absurdist and it's a pretty good book.

Good books about love/hate: What we talk about when we talk about love (lovely short stories about love + rural America, v good, v sparse style which makes it a nice read), Lolita (classic AMerican love story), this category is really quite broad because lots of things are about this so I'm going to recommend two books I really love, Invisible Cities (love of a place?? you should read it anyway it's beautiful) and Moscow to the End of the Line (also called Moscow - Petushki, about a man who is getting a train to see his son and he gets very drunk on the train and starts talking to people about his life and problems)

For post-modern books: Vonnegut is great and easy to read even for somebody unfamiliar with the genre.

For absurdist books: I'm pretty sure Catch-22 counts as one (and if not, it should), but the classical and most obvious example of the genre is probably Kafka.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Groke posted:

What the hell, wildcard me too.

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat.

• Locked thread