Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Ikuhara needs to get together with Shinbo and SHAFT they seem like they could make a batshit crazy masterpiece together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's written into the Japanese constitution that they're not allowed to work together lest they accidentally rip open a hole in the fabric of the universe.

I started watching Penguindrum again and I've had 'Welcome to Rock and Roll fight' stuck in my head for about twelve hours now.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Ikuhara needs to get together with Shinbo and SHAFT they seem like they could make a batshit crazy masterpiece together.

Silverlink is pretty shatft lite.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chrunchyroll picked up the non-US streaming rights, not including the UK unfortunately for me.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
So hype for this! Too many boys though, gross.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Petition to rename the thread "The bear and maiden fair" :colbert:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I never watched Utena. Is the dub OK or should I get my hands on the original?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Watch the sub. From what I remember the dub was made to try and cash in on Sailor Moon, and... no.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
So it's as heavily edited as SM?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Renoistic posted:

So it's as heavily edited as SM?

Nah, I think they just used some of the same voice actors or something? Sub is preferable because it's an early 2000 dub, so not great but you're not gonna really miss out on anything if you watch it that way. Though it's sometimes kind of hilarious hearing some of the ridiculous Ikuhara lines in English.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's not as heavily edited, but they made attempts to downplay the sexuality, homo or otherwise, at least from what I remember. Also, the dubbing is pretty bad in general. The shadow play girls, especially, are way too overacting and drawn out, when the entire gag in the original was how spontaneous they were, how they were chatting like hyper schoolgirls. It's like the dubbers saw that they were supposed to be deep and decided that deep = talking slowly and dramatically.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
The dub of Utena is great and super 90s, Rachel Lillis (Misty from Pokemon) as Utena is wonderful. Also, the sexuality isn't downplayed like at all, the biggest changes are more timing based, characters tend to say a lot when their faces aren't on screen and very little when they are to match the lip flap. There were plans to completely localize it under the title Ursula's Kiss but that never went through because Central Park wanted to ensure the ridiculous integrity of the ~original masterpiece~.

The Japanese is obviously superior because lol 90s central park dubs, but I love watching it in English because of just how perfectly 90s it is. The performances by the end aren't terrible and actually sort of fit the mood pretty well. Crispin Freeman plays like 4 characters and talks to himself QUITE a bit.

Utena's dub in Japanese is very ridiculous though, and is even talked about today. Not many people catch it because they don't speak Japanese but it is very purposefully overacted to make it seem like a Takarazuka stage play, which is especially apparent with the Shadow characters. It's part of the aesthetic that I think the English dub captures pretty well. There is literally 0% subtlety in either dub.

The biggest difference between the two tracks is that the music is WAAAAAAAAAAAY louder in English, which makes some of the dialogue unclear.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention that the subtitles available on most rips of the show are just Dubtitles, so even if you watch in Japanese you won't know the difference unless you speak Japanese.

laplace fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 4, 2015

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I guess this thread is the best place to ask this question, but what demographic was Utena even made for? It's way too disturbing for kids or young teens, has a bunch of wacky cartoon shenanigans going on, and is metaphorical and needs to be read on more than just the main plot line.

laplace posted:

There were plans to completely localize it under the title Ursula's Kiss but that never went through because Central Park wanted to ensure the ridiculous integrity of the ~original masterpiece~.
Holy poo poo please tell me there's an interview somewhere about this.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Robert Denby posted:

I guess this thread is the best place to ask this question, but what demographic was Utena even made for? It's way too disturbing for kids or young teens, has a bunch of wacky cartoon shenanigans going on, and is metaphorical and needs to be read on more than just the main plot line.

Holy poo poo please tell me there's an interview somewhere about this.

Here's a link to the rightsholder's website. It's amazing and 100% a real thing that was going to exist. Here's a writeup about it.

Utena's demographic was targeting fans of Twin Peaks, which was a massive success in Japan. This is not a joke, Ikuhara talks about it on the commentary.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

God, I'd forgotten all about Ursula's Kiss in all its terrible glory.

I would have liked to have seen them try to do a 'no-homo' version of the Utena movie, it would be about five minutes long.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just watched the first four episodes of Utena and I didn't expect it to be so humorous. Also, Utena is a pretty awesome protagonist so far. Love how she just runs with the insanity and pulls a sword out of her roommate's chest as if it's nothing special.

EDIT: One thing, though. What's up with the random spinning roses? Some kind of funky censorship or are they all supposed to be there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqftBAuFYsk&t=610s

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 4, 2015

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

laplace posted:

Here's a link to the rightsholder's website. It's amazing and 100% a real thing that was going to exist. Here's a writeup about it.
Good lord, this is up there with Doozy Bots and Saban Moon. I didn't think an English-friendly version of "Utena" would actually get far enough that they'd have spec character and story stuff ready to shop around. They mention "Slayers" in the article about Enoki, and I know there was a heavily-edited version of that shopped around to American TV networks as a potential Saturday morning cartoon. They even redubbed the first episode, but nobody picked it up. I don't know if that was before or after the Saturday morning cut of "Vision of Escaflowne" tanked.

laplace posted:

Utena's demographic was targeting fans of Twin Peaks, which was a massive success in Japan. This is not a joke, Ikuhara talks about it on the commentary.
This reminds me of an interview with the director of "House", where Toho told him they wanted that movie to be their answer to "Jaws". And yeah "Twin Peaks" was a massive hit in Japan, to the point where they reunited the cast to shoot commercials for coffee drinks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2j2-1V3Vw8

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I feel like Slayers has way more potential for saturday morning cartoonism than Utena, period jokes aside.

edit: Though if they tried to make Gourry the protagonist instead of Lina, like Escaflowne tried to do, then, uhh...

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Endorph posted:

I feel like Slayers has way more potential for saturday morning cartoonism than Utena, period jokes aside.

edit: Though if they tried to make Gourry the protagonist instead of Lina, like Escaflowne tried to do, then, uhh...

What did Escaflowne do anyways? I've heard a lot about that, but never saw it myself (I saw a different language dub that I've read is pretty faithful to the original).

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

You know, I could have gone my whole life without knowing that one of the greatest antagonists in anime history was almost named "Mike".

Mikl posted:

What did Escaflowne do anyways? I've heard a lot about that, but never saw it myself (I saw a different language dub that I've read is pretty faithful to the original).

From what I remember, it was mostly just general censorship stuff(no blood, no alcohol, simpler dialogue, etc.), and cutting out a lot of the romance subplots. I'm also pretty sure the network dropped it around the time the two evil catgirls show up, because there was no way to cut around all the crazy poo poo at the end.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 4, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'FK.'... In the coffee!

Mikl posted:

Aside from the usual violence censoring, they tried to re-cut it so the Van was that main character instead of Hitomi.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 4, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They edited it to try and make it about the guys, even though the protagonist is female and it's a pretty shoujo series. There's definitely action in the show, but I wouldn't call it an action series, which is what they tried to make it be. A real square peg, round hole situation.

Compare the JP OP to the US one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbhcChdCAUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ZXbrqPjKM

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

The roses are there as both an intentional visual symbol and an aesthetic choice to mirror screens used to mask actors on stage during complicated moments.

If you ever have a question about "why is this here" in Utena, the answer is either "it means something really overt" or "it's to make it look more like a play"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ikuhara just loves motifs as well, Penguindrum has the same thing with all the subway imagery.

Edit: Oh and apples, apples in everything.
If anyone hasn't seen Night on the Galactic Railroad they really should, it's an amazing movie and Ikuhara references either it or the original book in pretty much everything he does.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 4, 2015

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Well, the subway imagery in Penguindrum is deliberate to tie the story to Night on the Galactic Railroad and the Sarin Gas attacks. The thing about Ikuhara motifs is that they're all really overt.

Penguindrum was an adaptation of Night on the Galactic Railroad in everything except name.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008
I'm rewatching Utena a third time because I'm showing it to a friend. We're watching the dub via Hulu, and honestly it's kinda tolerable. After the first two or three episodes it got less.. horrid, and besides for some stupid name pronunciation it's all right.
Also my friend is hooked largely because it's all very pretty and strange, so I guess there's that. We just finished the first arc, I can't wait to get to the stinger at the end of the Black Rose arc or Akio. Just, Akio. To see what she thinks.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
To be perfectly honest, the stuff I've seen of this new anime looks kind of garbage. Seeing panty shots of all the main characters in their first appearances doesn't give me a lot of faith in the final product. I enjoyed Utena a lot, and Penguindrum was pretty good, so I'll give this a try, but I am not expecting much.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Momomo posted:

Seeing panty shots of all the main characters in their first appearances doesn't give me a lot of faith in the final product.
Yeah... panty shots seem to be added mostly as an attempt to compensate for a lack of quality. But it never works and instead it acts like a warning flag to watch something better. Plus they're kinda creepy.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Momomo posted:

To be perfectly honest, the stuff I've seen of this new anime looks kind of garbage. Seeing panty shots of all the main characters in their first appearances doesn't give me a lot of faith in the final product. I enjoyed Utena a lot, and Penguindrum was pretty good, so I'll give this a try, but I am not expecting much.

Eh, I can give anything that's not a Xebec anime the benefit of the doubt for a few episodes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

smdh if you let a panty shot convince you to not check out a show by a hella talented director with a good track record.

Space Flower posted:

Eh, I can give anything that's not a Xebec anime the benefit of the doubt for a few episodes.

Hey now they handled the Yamato 2199 anime and it ruled!

Go by the people involved in the production, not the studio.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Srice posted:

smdh if you let a panty shot convince you to not check out a show by a hella talented director with a good track record.

No one said that, just that it's a good reason to temper expectations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So far there's been zero reason to think that any of that stuff will make it into the final production, character sheets often have a lot of unnecessary details.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'm just following this thread to see how people respond to something that sounds really batshit. I have no intention of actually watching the show, unless there's like a torrent of praise.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Srice posted:

It implies the show is pandering to a demographic that is completely different from what other works the director has done. And to be honest, Penguindrum had a lot more of that fanservice than Utena did, so in my mind this might just be Ikuhara falling further down that hole.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Eh if I see a director I really like moving to a different demographic I just think "hm, I wonder what he's gonna try now" and not worry about the demographics or anything.

That said the trailers show stuff that look Ikuhara as gently caress so I do not think he is going to drastically change his style!

Srice fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 5, 2015

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Sakurazuka posted:

Nah, I think they just used some of the same voice actors or something? Sub is preferable because it's an early 2000 dub, so not great but you're not gonna really miss out on anything if you watch it that way. Though it's sometimes kind of hilarious hearing some of the ridiculous Ikuhara lines in English.

After watching episode 14, the first episode of the second arch, I'm pretty happy I didn't go for the dub. Hearing the Sailor Moon voice actors in a show where one of the main characters is having nightly visits with her big brother , would feel pretty off! Love the show so far, in any case. The interview scene in that episode was great. The show also has some of the greatest mood whiplashes I've seen. Having Nanami getting chased by surfing elephants in one episode, then drowning a kitten in a flashback and also trying to kill the MC in the next is pretty... special.

The "walking up a giant staircase then pulling out a sword from a girl's chest while a choir is chanting" routine is now one of my favourite magical girl transformation sequences.

How is Ikuhara's other works?

EDIT:
(Ep. 15) Miki/Mickey and his sister are 13? Holy poo poo. Also, everything about the fight at the end was great. The cheery song! Drinking milkshake! Powering up a sword by stroking it!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 5, 2015

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Penguindrum has structural problems and a stretch of being extremely ugly but is somewhat charming in its attempts to be extremely overly strange.

Sailor Moon goes from being a story about a magical moon princess to transgender warriors fighting off helldemons from space.

So basically, just like Utena.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ikuhara stayed out of anime after Utena and just came back a few years ago to do Penguin Drum and now Yuri Bears. Penguin Drum is... complicated. The best way the describe it is a study on the types of loves in relationship to natural survival strategies of species. At leasts, thats its core. Add in some diary magic, crystal princesses, penguins, modern day japan, sarin gas attacks, nihilism and the number 23 and you got the entirety of Penguin Drum.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

laplace posted:

Penguindrum has structural problems and a stretch of being extremely ugly but is somewhat charming in its attempts to be extremely overly strange.

Sailor Moon goes from being a story about a magical moon princess to transgender warriors fighting off helldemons from space.

So basically, just like Utena.

Ikuhara had nothing to do with Stars though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Yuri Kuma Arashi is a show that promised lesbians, bears, and bullets.

It delivered on all counts.

SHOCK! KUMA SHOCK!

• Locked thread