Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, I just checked the Wikipedia article on this and apparently it's going to be a 12-episode / 1 cour thing. While I'm on Camp Ikuhara and I hope this is good, I really wonder just how are they gonna pull it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blockhouse posted:

the right to arm bears has been invoked

You should feel awful for getting me to snicker because of this wordplay. Nevertheless, let us talk lesbears and crackpot theories: I, for one, would like to imagine that Ikuhara became acquainted with the Bear subculture within the gay community and said to himself “Ah, what a lovely bunch of people” and decided to celebrate them by portraying them within one of his works. Alas, Ikuhara's enthusiasm was short-lived when, after finishing the pitch for the Penguindrum anime, he noticed the current state of the industry.

“I say! They are still but hopelessly obsessed with Anno's character; the one he created to make them realize how unhealthy it was to create a dead throne worshipping fictitious entities. And they keep going on and on about High-school”. He knew what had to be done, and he soldiered on. After creating the original pitch for Yuri Kuma Arashi, back when it was still known as the Penguinbear project, he felt hesitant for a moment. “No. This idea must prosper. For the people of Japan need to know about this wonderful thing that is the Bear subculture!”.

Finding himself the object of ridicule, Ikuhara continued to endure the petty name-calling and finger-pointing that followed him around. Soon, he was contacted by someone familiar; a man who started to work in the industry around the same time as he did.

It was his old friend, Hideaki Anno. “It's useless to try, Iku-chan. They are only able to see what they want to see. The Curse of Eva has engulfed this generation as well. Get with the times or you will find yourself becoming another footnote of this industry”. Anno's words hit him harder than any ridicule he had so far endured from his so-called peers...

... it was only then that the man known as Kunihiko Ikuhara knew what had to be done. “When was the last time that we actually decided to allow artless dreck to become the norm? WHEN DID BOREDOM BECAME A DESIRABLE GOAL?! I will make this right as rain once more!”

Then Ikuhara had another vision: For all the people that ridiculed him for trying, he would serve them their just desserts, so he started rewriting his story, willing to compromise even if it meant that his ideas for the Bear subculture had to go into the backseat. Then, he decided to take a shitload of drugs. Finally, a stronger idea was born.

“A story that deals with bullying in a sensitive manner”, Ikuhara proudly proclaimed. Before showing the final story to Anno, the man behind the Evangelion franchise inquired: “It's not going to be about portly guys anymore, is it?”

“No” Ikuhara firmly said. “It's going to be about pretty, middle-to-high-school-aged girls fighting against bullying. And lesbears”.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

If you'd seen Blue Blazes you'd know Anno doesn't talk about anything except Ultraman and Ideon.

I saw it! It ruled. Is the original manga any good?

Also, my previous post was written under the effects of Ibuprofen, a humongous (and equally delicious!) Campechana and insomnia, so I sincerely apologize if any goon was offended by my idiotic lack of restraint.

With regards to the first episode itself: I'm just kinda wishing it didn't feel so... by-the-numbers? Like I'm pretty sure Ikuhara needs to have the Shadow Play girls in some shape or form within his works, but when the Life dudes made an appearance, it felt like I almost knew how this whole show is gonna play out. And I don't want that to happen. C'mon Ikuhara: I want to have fun, like with Utena and Penguindrum.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
^^ e: Holy poo poo, Kannazuki no Miko. ^^

a kitten posted:

But, like how much of a thing is class-s stuff now? Just grabbing a sample of yuri from the past few years* they end with exchanging rings, or the idea that even if Japan doesn't allow same-sex marriage other places do, sometimes there's sex, sometimes not, but in all the cases they are actually for-real in romantic love with each other. Yuri, at least in manga has already moved past the chaste and or doomed stylings of its beginnings. I'm actually having a hard time thinking of anything modern that dooms the couple or punishes them in any way. Sometimes the characters encounter actual homophobia, but i think that's a different idea than the narrative somehow condemning it. There's still a huge disconnect between actual queer identity and yuri a lot (maybe most?) of the time, but they're not as far aparts as...oh i dunno Marimite.

In no particular order: Sasameki Koto, Girl Friends, Kisses Sighs and Cherryblossom Pink, Chatting at the Amber Teahouse, Octave, Aoi Hana. More that i'm forgetting.

While I've read Sasameki Koto and Aoi Hana and I can only be objective regarding those two (they are good), I want to think that these other works you mentioned are also somewhere in the same spectrum of quality, so I'm thinking along the lines of them being honorable exceptions rather than the rule when it comes to Yuri/Class-S and such. Also, Ikuhara is probably playing it from old memory or somesuch.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 19, 2015

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

Okay, they're in bed and what are they doing? They're reading a book. It's still being presented as a chaste or 'pure' relationship, which is a trap a lot of bad yuri stories fall in to.

Honestly I could be wrong, though, I have only vague memories of that scene and a lot would be in how it's presented.

It reminded me of a certain scene from Stone Ocean a lot. Of course, JoJo shout-outs aren't all that uncommon.

• Locked thread