Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

precision posted:

Chappie is going to be a surprisingly good film I think. Die Antwoord are a lot smarter than people think and the misleading "is this a remake of Short Circuit" trailer only sells me on it more.
"Ninja" Watkin Tudor Jones is apparently is a completely horrible person and Blomkamp never wants anything to do with him ever again.

EDIT: gently caress that, I'm not calling him that. It's just like McG Joseph McGinty Nichol.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

"Ninja" Watkin Tudor Jones is apparently is a completely horrible person and Blomkamp never wants anything to do with him ever again.

Wasn't he supposed to be the lead in Elysium?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

MH Knights posted:

Yeah, but he actually turned the role down.

Casimir Radon posted:

That's kind of a bummer, it's seems they've been buds for years, been looking forward to seeing them collaborate for a movie ever since Ninja showed up with the prawn arm in Evil Boy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Going back a couple of pages but yes, the plot of Taken 2 was that Liam Neeson and Famke Janssen get kidnapped by the relatives of all the guys he killed in the first movie. Although that whole bit is just a small part of the movie and most of it is just Liam Neeson killing his way around a foreign country.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

MH Knights posted:

Second choice, after Eminem.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Why they would have wanted Eminem is even more of a mystery. He's probably a worse person.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
He's an all right actor though.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Despite it being a Futurama Tales of Intrigue short stretched out into a feature-length film, and despite is starring Adam Sandler (and his entourage), I'm kind of excited for Pixels. Aliens invading with tactics based on 80s arcade games is the kind of stupid-but-great premise that I wont pretend to be above seeing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Esroc posted:

I'm still holding a grudge against whatever studio was responsible for Man of The Year.

I watched this movie when I was really sick. It's one of the most terrifying movies I've ever seen. Viseral reaction yo.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Despite it being a Futurama Tales of Intrigue short stretched out into a feature-length film, and despite is starring Adam Sandler (and his entourage), I'm kind of excited for Pixels. Aliens invading with tactics based on 80s arcade games is the kind of stupid-but-great premise that I wont pretend to be above seeing.

But will it have a female love interest for Sandler who is with a white Republican rear end in a top hat that Sandler needs to save her from?

edit - I wish Chris Columbus was writing it instead of directing it. It's going to be awful.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 3, 2015

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

precision posted:

Anyone on the fence about Chappie needs to Google the poster for it. I'm in my phone or I'd link it.

This one?

When I first saw it, I was expecting it to be Bender Bending Rodriquez: The Movie (and it might be, I guess).

Proposition Joe posted:

Republicans are still probably really made about it actually.

What? Like U.S. Republicans or whatever is the South African version of U.S. Republicans?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

axleblaze posted:

I think it's more that it's brutally depressing and the trailers just made it look like a half assed Narnia rip off.

This was assigned reading when I was in fifth grade so everybody crying over the trailers after seeing the movie was the best.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm reserving all judgement until I see a trailer. It looks like the kind of movie 12 year old me would have loved.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

DrVenkman posted:

P.S. He fights Benny 'The Jet' Urquidez, the only thing that would've made GPB better was if Don 'The Dragon' Wilson was in it.

drat it. Martial Arts dudes with 'the' in their nickname are like an extension of 'The Bill Pullman/Bill Paxton Thing' for me apparently.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

This was assigned reading when I was in fifth grade so everybody crying over the trailers after seeing the movie was the best.

How depressing are we talking about? Would it be like seeing Watership Down because "bunnies in the trailer!" or Plague Dogs because "doggies in the trailer!" or are we talking Grave of the Fireflies because "it's got kids so it's a kid movie"?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

monster on a stick posted:

How depressing are we talking about? Would it be like seeing Watership Down because "bunnies in the trailer!" or Plague Dogs because "doggies in the trailer!" or are we talking Grave of the Fireflies because "it's got kids so it's a kid movie"?

One of the children dies and the other one has massive guilt about it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The children use a rope swing to go to the area they pretend is a magical land called Teribithia and one day the boy goes to a museum trip and the girl uses the rope swing and it breaks and she dashes her head on rocks below and drowns.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

The children use a rope swing to go to the area they pretend is a magical land called Teribithia and one day the boy goes to a museum trip and the girl uses the rope swing and it breaks and she dashes her head on rocks below and drowns.

Sounds like it teaches kids a very important lesson about the danger of rope swings.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Groovelord Neato posted:

Don't forget the whole reason he went on the museum trip was because the boy was secretly hot for teacher!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

They marketed it as a fantasy film so that was deserved. People who'd read it were pissed because they thought their coming of age story was being turned into some lovely fantasy tentpole, and people who didn't got a kind of depressing story.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Was it actually good though? Say you went into the wrong movie. Y mistake and had never seen any marketing for it.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

I don't see a huge distinction between the latter two (other than the fact that children dying is inherently more distressing than animals dying, but then again they are sentient talking movie animals so it sorta balances out)

Corek posted:

I just want to see how many small children are brought in to this R-rated movie. I remember hearing that during District 9 some people were covering their kids' eyes during the Vikus torture scene.

You guys REALLY need a proper system where you can't bring kids into unsuitable movies. In the UK anything over a PG has an absolute age cutoff; you cannot bring someone younger than 15 into a 15, or under 18 into an 18. Most R rated movies end up in one of these two categories, it's like NC 17 but not financial suicide to release a movie with that certificate.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Was it actually good though? Say you went into the wrong movie. Y mistake and had never seen any marketing for it.

It was quite good just brutally depressing.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Fatkraken posted:

You guys REALLY need a proper system where you can't bring kids into unsuitable movies. In the UK anything over a PG has an absolute age cutoff; you cannot bring someone younger than 15 into a 15, or under 18 into an 18. Most R rated movies end up in one of these two categories, it's like NC 17 but not financial suicide to release a movie with that certificate.

Fascist.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Fatkraken posted:

what boring childhoods you people must have

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl

Fatkraken posted:

You can keep your nanny state. We don't need the government telling us what we can't watch! :hellyeah: :911:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

greatn posted:

I liked the book when we read it in 3rd grade, didn't see the movie.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

I know. I look at the incredible job that the MPAA does and I say to myself, "What they really need is more power."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

any system that allowed for my stepdad to take me to see Supercop at age 7 is an unambiguous good

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Same except legit dad, robocop and 9

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
No, being able to keep kids out of those movies is the best because it's a perfect system. If those kids can't see them in the theaters there is no way they can possibly see them. Problem solved.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My parents followed MPAA guidelines with me for the most part, then they let my brother watch Black hawk Down when he was 6. Good going assholes.

My dad happened to walk in on us watching Borat during the naked fight, that didn't go over well. He was giggling while trying to yell at me.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

Fatkraken posted:

I don't see a huge distinction between the latter two (other than the fact that children dying is inherently more distressing than animals dying, but then again they are sentient talking movie animals so it sorta balances out)

First of all, Terabithia was rated PG, so your point here is kind of irrelevant. Second of all, this isn't really possible with our current system. Our next highest rating after PG is PG-13. 13 year olds don't have any sort of state issued ID, so the only way to prove their ages would be to show birth certificates, which is totally impractical. Furthermore, a system like that can easily be circumvented by purchasing a ticket to a different movie. Some theaters will check IDs at the door to the auditorium for R-rated films, but that's generally only on opening weekend for films that would attract a lot of minors (horror or comedy for example). By our rules, anyone 21 or older can purchase tickets for minors to R-rated films, but also must accompany them to the film. All of this is pretty hard to keep track of at a 20+ screen multiplex.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

FishBulb posted:

Universal Soldier, opening weekend, age 7 :smug:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

FishBulb posted:

Same, except legit dad, Alien/Blade Runner, 11.

Hell, I'm for returning to the pre-1984 system. Either you think little kids can see it, you're not sure, or they can't. PG-13 seems to exist as a rating only to excuse exposing kids to conspicuous violence and objectification of women.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It'd be cool if you could show boobs in a pg movie again.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

It'd be cool if you could show boobs in a pg movie again.

Why do goons care so much about this?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

axleblaze posted:

What you don't like boobs

Baps

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

axleblaze posted:

Because they're just so open-minded and sexually liberated, what are you some kind of puritan :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

FishBulb posted:

What you don't like boobs

Baps

Boobs are cool. I can also see them really really easily if I want and don't really need PG movies to provide them.

I think there's some sort of lamentation that kids these days won't get the joy of seeing a PG film and having it turn out to be 2 seconds of boob in but let me assure you people that kids exist in a world where they right now have access to more boobs than most people in this topic had in their entire childhoods. It's not the same world anymore. Boobs are no longer this forbidden asset that is found in boxes in the woods.

• Locked thread