Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Cuckoo posted:

Royce Gracie steps out of a time machine from the past to school Jones

RULES
*There will be no rounds
*Jones will be strapped to a gurney like hannibal lector throughought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Dangersim posted:

If I was Stuart Scott I would have just given up after last night too

this is how I feel today as the day goes on. I understand Jones is great but I'm bummed that Jon Jones is never going to lose and it's bad. Every record in UFC's book is going to belong to Jon Jones. Most title defenses, most wins, most eye pokes, most time in the cage, most cancelled events, it doesn't matter he's going to have them all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The concept of a GOAT in a sport as young as MMA in its current form is kind of laughable to me.
The likelihood is that in 20 years from now, we'll have fighters who are much more skilled, talented and well trained than the best of the best currently. It'll own.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Bundt Cake posted:

Rankings are really sweet but lets just say there have been a lot of great fighters and there have been guys who have been dominant champions for different stretches and its impossible to quantify greatness in some way to come up with a definitive hierarchy, and because there have been so many great fighters over two and half decades its stupid to just blanket that two guys who went on great runs during the peak of the UFC's popularity as indisputably the best and assert that its ignorant to suggest otherwise is annoying and limits conversation to Joe Rogan talking points

Dangersim posted:

I want you to list who was better then Anderson and gsp

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Joe Rogan is the GOAT in podcasts though.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Aurain posted:

The concept of a GOAT in a sport as young as MMA in its current form is kind of laughable to me.
The likelihood is that in 20 years from now, we'll have fighters who are much more skilled, talented and well trained than the best of the best currently. It'll own.

boxing dude. everyone in talks for goat are dead or basically dead

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I would like to put Fujita forward as GOAT

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I said as good. And fine, I'll wade into your argument, but I'm pretty sure you're going to keep arguing without actually listening to me and change between whether its about accomplishments or who would beat who.

Lets open with COleman, Chuck, BJ, Hughes, Bustamante and Nogueira. Thats off the top of my head.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Lets be real for one second. Nobody gives a poo poo about aldo.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
GOAT chat is so boring god drat

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Roy nelson woild beat the poo poo out of GSP

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

origami posted:

GOAT chat is so boring god drat

I think it could be cool to talk about great fighters, but I guess we have to make sure that all the idiots know they're dumb if they consider fighters besides anderson and GSP as the greatest of all time.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

I said as good. And fine, I'll wade into your argument, but I'm pretty sure you're going to keep arguing without actually listening to me and change between whether its about accomplishments or who would beat who.

Lets open with COleman, Chuck, BJ, Hughes, Bustamante and Nogueira. Thats off the top of my head.

not hughes because i don't like him

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

True, but Boxing has a long storied history with an enormous pool of exceptional talent to choose from. MMA doesn't really, at least for now. The pool of talent on that level is much, much smaller. I'm not sure it holds much validity in Boxing either, but it's a much more reasonable thing to discuss for Boxing.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
All of the fighters you listed were extremely one dimensional and sucked by modern standards haha..

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I'm really more bummed that DC lost than that Jones won. I like DC a lot and he seemed to take that loss really hard.

Marching Powder posted:

Money Mayweather is still alive and kicking (women).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Bundt Cake posted:

Rankings are really sweet but lets just say there have been a lot of great fighters and there have been guys who have been dominant champions for different stretches and its impossible to quantify greatness in some way to come up with a definitive hierarchy, and because there have been so many great fighters over two and half decades its stupid to just blanket that two guys who went on great runs during the peak of the UFC's popularity are indisputably the best and its ignorant to suggest otherwise is annoying and limits conversation to Joe Rogan talking points

With GSP that's arguably true. With Anderson, it isn't. If you are judging GOATness by a period of absolute dominance, nobody can even compare to him and it's absurd to suggest otherwise. For years he beat down his opponents any way he wanted, and only one person managed to even slightly threaten him. He had one tough fight, and in the rematch he destroyed the man.

If you judge GOATness by absolute ability, then it will be decades before the GOAT is ever anyone who isn't currently active at the time of discussion. Do you really want to think about what would happen if Nog in his prime tried to fight today's Velasquez or Werdum? Can you imagine what Hendricks or Lawler would do to Matt Hughes face?

Basically, you have to tell us how you judge who is the GOAT before the absurdity of claiming it's anyone from the PRIDE era can be properly exposed.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Middle Weight Division

Also no one is sparkling. Everyones had ugly moments. Anderson had trouble with Damien Maia and Thales Leites. one of his defenses was against Patrick Cote, and he did almost nothing. Marquardt worked to get him down for four minutes, then got stood up instantly. Lutter mounted him.

He wasn't invincible and flawless. He was an amazing fighter in a bad division. he had plenty of good opponents, but lacked challengers at times

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
GOAT chat is so boring, and Rankings chat is stupid. Talking about buyrates is also stupid, and talking about "Dream match ups" is also stupid and from Sherdog. Shut her down.. fellas....

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Mma is a lot more complicated than boxing so you csnt really compare

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

NippleFloss posted:

Money Mayweather is still alive and kicking (women).

sure if he fights pac i'll put him behind 7 or 8 other dudes

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Dan Henderson is the greatest

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
if "Pound For Pound" was a real thing that actually meant what its supposed to then Aldo would be ahead of Jones, but no one actually cares because hes small and isnt murdering the remnants of the Pride pro wrestling marquee steroid guy division

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Dominick cruz #1 p4p

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

manyak posted:

GOAT chat is so boring, and Rankings chat is stupid. Talking about buyrates is also stupid, and talking about "Dream match ups" is also stupid and from Sherdog. Shut her down.. fellas....

I actually agree with this. We should discuss DC dropping even more weight to go down to MW since he looked absolutely tiny last night.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Marching Powder posted:

sure if he fights pac i'll put him behind 7 or 8 other dudes

Ironic, since the only way he fights Pac is if he gets to stand behind 7 or 8 other dudes.

(I like Mayweather and think he would win)

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Alternate Universe Mark Coleman where he isn't broke and throwing fights to strange Japanese men is also probably the best

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

I think it could be cool to talk about great fighters, but I guess we have to make sure that all the idiots know they're dumb if they consider fighters besides anderson and GSP as the greatest of all time.

I mean none of the fighters you listed have the resume Anderson has and a few of them aren't even remotely close.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nick Thompson is The Goat

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

as far as any singular accomplishment goes i think tj deserves serious consideration for outclassing and then wrecking a guy in the 'p4p rankings'. if you're ranked in the p4p list, you should not be able to be dismantled and if you are, it's an incredible achievement..... but once a fighter is defeated he wasn't that good anyway let's stop pretending he was back o the line tj

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Ty1990 posted:

I mean none of the fighters you listed have the resume Anderson has and a few of them aren't even remotely close.

Why dont you make a specific point professor

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Here's what the lady who was beaten to death last night was doing before going to the UFC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v5SNexJSVs

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

And we resort to GOAT chat because I want to forget everything about last night.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Ty1990 posted:

it's not about 'who'd beat who in a fight' or anything like that because there is a generation(s) gap.. greatness is intangible, they all deserve consideration, like bundt said ages ago

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
If p4p was real then ronda rousey wouldnt be on the list , shed be behind gleison tibau somewhere

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Aldo will get his due if/when he beats McGregor. It will likely take place in front of the largest UFC audience ever and it will have as much hype as any tiny MMA fight has had. And it should happen before Jones next fight.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Here's what the lady who was beaten to death last night was doing before going to the UFC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v5SNexJSVs

lmao.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Ty1990 posted:

And we resort to GOAT chat because I want to forget everything about last night.

If this is all we have to talk about UFC is dead rip

Dr. Pancakes
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for not eating me without syrup
Demetrious Johnson is the real goat since there is no chance he is going to lose a fight as champion and he fights regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
PETE WILLIAMS

• Locked thread