Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nick Thompson is The Goat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Here's what the lady who was beaten to death last night was doing before going to the UFC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v5SNexJSVs

Legit prospect.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Re: Cain's leg extensions - I've never read an article on injury prevention that says anything other than to avoid doing any kind of heavy lift through fast reps. That's why people get injured doing crossfit - they try to use weights to get their cardio in. The problem with those leg extensions is not the number of reps, it's the way that he's gangling through it as fast as he can with poo poo rear end form.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Another thing that people forget about the Anderson-Chael II is that right before the backfist Chael ate a hammer of a right hand, and was pretty solidly rocked. I always hear "that idiot tried to throw a backfist and fell over like an idiot," but he was already hurt with compromised equilibrium. It was a desperation move to try to create some space, and it probably would have worked against any other fighter, even with the tumble.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

vOv most of the time when we see a fighter throw a backfist, his opponent avoids it by stepping out of the pocket, and most of the time when we see a fighter trip, the opponent doesn't jump on him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What if the Silva who shows up to fight Diaz is analogous to the BJ who showed up to fight Frankie for a third time?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So if Cerrone wins that's 6 wins in a 12 month span. What a guy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Was that when he accepted the title shot after Rashad got injured? I was barely watching MMA at the time and wasn't aware of the details of why that was such a bad thing to do.

It was the Rashad title shot, and it wasn't a bad thing to do. That whole scenario was one of the most retarded and manufactured rivalries and pointless controversies in the UFC's history - I got injured and the guy I know who is undefeated and fights in the same division took the title shot and won! He's a traitor!. Because I don't really watch interviews with fighters, and that was the only "Fake Jon" thing I had seen, it took me a long time to really buy what an rear end in a top hat he is.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bubba Smith posted:

Then that's where the problems started. You a clown.

it's also why Rashad frequently says he'll never fight Vitor Belfort or Anthony Johnson now.

That doesn't change the fact that it was retarded and manufactured. What I do remember is that the narrative surrounding that 'controversy' changed a number of times between Rashad getting injured and their eventual fight. The whole thing was probably dreamed up by some lazy production assistant.

I did add the disclaimer that I don't watch fighter interviews so I didn't get all of the nuances of the story, and that Jon Jones is a piece of poo poo. 9/10 times if someone posts a link and it ends up being video (or even audio) and not fight footage I close it, because I don't feel like giving 3-5 minutes of my life to hearing someone like Helwani ask the same stupid questions over and again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Agreed posted:

How motherfuckers can dig Chael and hate Jones is beyond me, Jones is just an rear end in a top hat, not a crook...

Chael says interesting things.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

UFC does not deliberately manufacture drama because it employs real people and not characters in storylines, and LHW is not a "great division" but is in fact an aged one that just has/had a lot of marquee stars. I don't think there's anything wrong with fighting a teammate for a belt but I do think it's lovely to repeatedly say to a guy and the media that you'd never fight him and then get the belt and immediately say you'd fight him.

Well that's my two cents, hope this helps and you guys have a nice day

Here's what strikes me about this now, and what makes me think that it was lazy kayfabe, is that this was used as anti-Jones fodder: it was before he had the title he said that he wouldn't fight Rashad. But once he got it he was like "Sure, if Rashad wants to fight me I'll fight him" - isn't that him actually being the nice guy while Rashad is the one using some code of honoure to make his (former) teammate seem like a bad guy for advancing his career?

"I wasn't going to challenge my teammate for a #1 contender spot or try to take the title from him, but if he decides that he wants to make lots of money on a title shot by fighting me now that I have the belt, I'll give him that opportunity."

Not to be a Jones apologist, but how is he the bad guy in that situation?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Reminder: people buy premium coffee with butter in it from that man

grass-fed butter. Important distinction.

(apparently)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This will also be Cerrone's 27th WEC/UFC fight, which is pretty cool, and ties the record for most fights for Zuffa.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 6, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MY CHRISTMAS WISH CAME TRUE!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

He was on coke during The Brawl.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This dispute suggests that the consensus is that this is a really tough matchup for reem. Think he has enough gas to stick-and-move for three rounds?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

He refused to talk about the dick vid to the deadspin reporter, told the reporter he and his fiance made a great team and had a happy family, and immediately thereafter flirted with a waitress and gave her his phone number, all in front of said reporter.

The brawl, of course, if it doesn't have that already.

All of these incidents make more sense if you imagine that he was on cocaine throughout.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

They need to get their spin doctors going to find a way to punish Jones and at the same time give a push to loveable champs like Weidman and DJ (maybe TJ?). Promote them as good role models, &c. Really, Jones's reputation is beyond salvaging now, so they might as well just let him continue on the jones.txt trajectory and make money off of people buying shows so that they don't miss it when he finally loses.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Agreed posted:

That's a loving joke.

Edit: was my initial reaction but I mean he wasn't supposed to be tested for it in the first place, if fuckers randomly drug tested me for things they aren't telling me about I'd be fairly uncomfortable with that notion. But it seems like they should be testing for coke when fighters get suspensions or shitcanned for weed. This is bullshit, haha.

The trick, and what makes this really inconsistent, is the different testing windows for weed and coke. If Jones and Diaz are both fighting Feb 1, and on New Years Eve each go party, Diaz will probably pop for pot, but Jones probably wont, even if he went on a week-long bender and Diaz only had one rip.

There's not much room for doubt that had this been about pot that he would have failed an "In-competition" test.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Has this been the funniest ~24 hours in MMA history? It has to be on the short list.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I can't wait for Cain-Bigfoot III. By my calculation the fight would last -24 seconds.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had actually forgotten that Weidman had almost KOd Silva in the first round of the second fight, so I rewatched it. Ezekiel choke. Cool. Rogan and Goldberg freaking out ("good shots from the bottom!") whenever Silva does anything.

But the way that Silva dropped from that short hook in the first round. That makes me think that age has caught up with his chin.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Agreed posted:

No poo poo. He definitely checked the kick. It wasn't luck that he checked the kick. It was luck that the result of doing so wasn't just a block, or a painful bruise, or even just a good opportunity to wail on Silva for second. Those things are pretty predictable when you successfully check a kick. The other dude's leg snapping in half is a major accident. Sure, it resulted in the total disabling of Silva and so he won the fight fair and square. It was also luckier than the most puncher's-chance knockout I've ever seen.

:dogout:

This is some of the most retarded poo poo I've ever read, and I really hate when I have to read retarded poo poo which I've read before. This garbage about it being "luck" that it broke is not only false, it's the same drivel which idiots on sherdog were saying years ago. It wasn't luck when Spong's leg broke. It wasn't luck when Taylor's leg broke. It's no more "luck" than a punch causing a broken metacarpal. It's a basic and fundamental risk of the activity. Quit saying stupid things.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

david carmichael posted:

apropos of nothing i think its time that we all agreed that its notorious cheater dan miller's fault that palhares had to destroy all those knees

I thought that was Matt Lindland's fault

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

UFC 186 in Montreal on April 25. Any ideas on which title fights could end up there? I'd drive to Montreal to see TJ vs Assuncao.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

origami posted:

I think everyone needs to get their test levels checked and maybe up the vitamin D.

something something your mom the vitamin D

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

david carmichael posted:

i would expect quebecois fighters if there are any still around. maybe yves jabouin, mitch gagnon (not really quebecois but northern ontario french which is close enough i guess), etc. i wouldn't count on a title fight, but it could happen

Is Gagnon Franco-Ontarian? He's from Sudbury. I thought he just had a French name.

Anyway, there are all of those clowns from TUF nations, I suppose. I'm just trying to imagine a headliner.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

colonel_korn posted:

Yeah I would expect something like Rory vs Lombard in a title eliminator though that probably isn't enough to carry the card. McGregor vs Aldo possibly?

McGregor vs Aldo is going to be in a stadium in Ireland if it happens

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Stann on the JRE said the only other person who he's ever heard have the same kind of gym mystique/people raving about them as Jones was....Chris Weidman.

What about Keith Jardine

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

And this is why Sonnen is the greatest of all time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Skip My Posts posted:

Rumble is gonna win

Except if gus does

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Funny to think that a UFC fighter's union might be more capable of cleaning up the sport than anything else, because they could strike a collective bargain to enforce equal treatment of athletes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

fatherdog posted:

If you think a fighter's union would result in more people being penalized for drug use you have serious misconceptions about the history and purpose of collective bargaining.

I imagine that it would just make this code of conduct poo poo consistent rather than "We'll penalize you except if you make us lots of money"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dangersim posted:

Breaking news: life's not fair

Breaking news: that's what collective bargaining works to counteract.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

the more i think about this the more incredible it is. it's positively pro-wrestling in its inevitability. dave herman says some things that eventually leads to a decrepit nogueira getting to do a jiu jitsu in brazil

http://youtu.be/myRaxbkJN64?t=10s

http://www.ufc.tv/video/brian-bowles-vs-miguel-torres-wec-42 (55 seconds)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dangersim posted:

It's rare when we get a title eliminator with the actual consensus top contendors who are both fun to watch. This is a really, really, big fight.

Neither of these guys seem to get tentative against a dangerous opponent shut down under pressure, or at least they haven't for a long time. I feel like Rumble has kind of a couple times, but not since he stopped cutting stupid amounts of weight, so that was probably gas.

Point being, I don't see this becoming one of these fights where two dangerous guys stand and stare at each other for a boring decision (like Stevens-Guillard).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

origami posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK8QWb0mzMM

e: granted this guy had the opportunity to tap - it's a comp but it popped into my head (like his leg)

AUGH CRACK gently caress. Audible. Jesus christ.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Keith Jardine spotted in Inherent Vice. Not just a cameo-type role, either. He was pretty good considered that his previous career involved getting paid to get knocked out.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just tuned in - who is this whose credentials they're summarizing right now (reffed worldwide, &c)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cool. I like him. I also like how they're so worried about corruption that they get an FBI check on the refs, presumably for mob ties.

• Locked thread