Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

They've really gone in a couple unexpected directions lately. I figured Doi would come out of the feud with CIMA as a face, but the cage gave CIMA a ton of sympathy heat. I'm also a little surprised K-Ness is sticking with Mad Blankey and not the Zombies. T-Hawk aligning with CIMA is also about the last alliance I expected. These aren't unwelcome changes, mind you, I just didn't see them coming.

I'm wondering if they're starting to brew tension with Tozawa and Takagi too. They were somewhat at odds in the cage match because of the delegates, and now they have a first round tournament match.

imo Doi is the biggest pure heel in the company. His match with CIMA pretty much cements that and CIMA is deep in that Bruno Sammartino role of being cheered even as he was in MB. I like K-Ness in MB because you need another decent worker in that group outside of Doi/Yammy. He also felt more of an outlier as at Vet Zombie and it lets him to go back to his evil Darkness Dragon personality. I don't think MB (or really MX considering they are still at 4 members) makes it through this summer, but I don't know what heel group can erupt out of it. It'd be really cool to do a generational Big Six group but I doubt Hulk or Tozawa are going heel anytime soon.

In spoilers is the KING of GATE bracket after today's show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Oh dude please tell me that Hulk/Tozawa match is televised. :neckbeard:

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

Oh dude please tell me that Hulk/Tozawa match is televised. :neckbeard:

They always tape that venue in Osaka. It's not listed as an infinity but it'd be stunned if they don't tape it.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
So it seems from now on only Korakuens and PPVs are going to be on niconico. Not enough people ordering the Osaka/Hakata shows and way too much streaming. Both DEAD or ALIVE and the KING of GATE kickoff are still available to purchase on VOD on niconico for those interested. I'm real bummed that the 5/10 show wasn't taped with Kojima, but thems the breaks.

Here is the updated KING of GATE bracket after the Round of 16. Osaka (5/16) will be taped. I doubt Mie (5/17) will be.

I'll also be showing a couple of 2011 Mocchy Produce/Buyuden shows this evening at 8 PM Eastern. My psp-tv channel is psp-tv.com/r/ebrietas

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

jae posted:

Hulk thanked Tozawa for the match. He said this was the type of match he wished to have as Dream Gate champion, not the match we saw in Aichi with Cyber Kong.

Hulk's still pissed about DoA.

Also, the King of Gate semis are T-Hawk/Hulk and Yoshino/Mochizuki. I really thought they would go with Doi/Hulk and save the T-Hawk/Hulk singles match for Kobe. But considering the way DG books, there's nothin preventing them from doing a rematch for the title there.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 17, 2015

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
We have our KING of GATE finals decided as T-Hawk beat BXB Hulk and Masato Yoshino defeated Masaaki Mochizuki today in Kobe. This show made tape and will be on an episode of Infinity early next month (6/8). Last week's show in Osaka (Yoshino/Big R, Hulk/Tozawa, Eita's return) will air on Infinity the night before (6/7). The two nights in Sapporo (5/30-31) will air on 6/22. There will be a live Korakuen on 6/3 (or should be, its pre-order isn't up on NicoNico).

Here is the bracket as of today.

So this is easily the most anticipated KING of GATE matchup in recent history. Yoshino is striving to achieve the sole accolade that has alluded him, a KING of GATE total victory. As the last Big Six member not to have faced BXB Hulk, a tournament victory would propel him into getting a key and perhaps in the drivers seat for the main event at the 16th Kobe World Pro Wrestling Festival. T-Hawk is facing destiny and leading the charge of his generation. He's not happy to be the best 4th Generation Dragon Gate wrestler or right behind the Big Six. Winning KING of GATE would cement him as a top line player in Dragon Gate, and he'd get the chance to face the man he beat today, BXB Hulk, for the Open the Dream Gate.

This is a hard final to call, much more so than other KING of GATEs of recent years. There is a lot of momentum behind T-Hawk, but Dragon Gate is a company that takes a long time to pull the trigger. Hulk had more Dream Keys than anyone before they finally put the title on them. They still haven't given Tozawa a run with it and he's the most over person in the promotion. Thinking of that, I have to go with Yoshino. Hulk gets to attempt his clean sweep of the Big Six and if he succeeds, you can get ready to transition to another wrestler at Kobe World or Dragon Gate's debut at Ota City Gym for DANGEROUS GATE.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah it's really hard to call. Would the winner get their title shot at Kobe? Cause if so I'm thinking T-Hawk wins it. Otherwise I'd go Yoshino.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Dimebags Brain posted:

Yeah it's really hard to call. Would the winner get their title shot at Kobe? Cause if so I'm thinking T-Hawk wins it. Otherwise I'd go Yoshino.

Sometimes they have it immediately and sometimes the person who eliminated the champion has it first. It makes it sort of complicated in my mind.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
The finals of the 2015 KING OF GATE happened this morning/yesterday evening Sapporo time:

The Open the Dream Gate challenge is happening at Hakata before Kobe World. This could mean a whole lot (Hulk vanquishing the last of the Big Six, T-Hawk getting the shot at Kobe World) or not a lot (Yoshino wins (doubt it), Hulk crosses the one year mark (possible), Hulk drops it to someone else at Kobe World (very unlikely)).

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

The finals of the 2015 KING OF GATE happened this morning/yesterday evening Sapporo time:

The Open the Dream Gate challenge is happening at Hakata before Kobe World. This could mean a whole lot (Hulk vanquishing the last of the Big Six, T-Hawk getting the shot at Kobe World) or not a lot (Yoshino wins (doubt it), Hulk crosses the one year mark (possible), Hulk drops it to someone else at Kobe World (very unlikely)).

Excuse me, but Akira Tozawa: Dragon Gate Triple Gate Champ, is totally happening.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

t-hawk is so winning that belt at kobe

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Dave thinks T-Hawk is Dragon Gate's Roman Reigns

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

epitasis posted:

Dave thinks T-Hawk is Dragon Gate's Roman Reigns

T-Hawk is much prettier.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
The first night of KING OF GATE (5/8 Korakuen) is up on DailyMotion for those who didn't get it on niconico. I gave all three of the tourney matches an HM but the beginning of the card was kinda bleh imo.

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x3uxbf_JAHMAL1111_dragon-gate-infinity-374/1#video=x2sapok

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

The first night of KING OF GATE (5/8 Korakuen) is up on DailyMotion for those who didn't get it on niconico. I gave all three of the tourney matches an HM but the beginning of the card was kinda bleh imo.

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x3uxbf_JAHMAL1111_dragon-gate-infinity-374/1#video=x2sapok

The King of Gate and the trios match were all fantastic. Totally watch this poo poo. I need more hot Susumu on Mochizuki action in my life.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 1, 2015

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
What's the story with Team Veteran being against Mad Blankey in the opening trios? I read the iheartDG synopsis but I couldn't tell whether they're a permanent faction now or if it's just for this show.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

What's the story with Team Veteran being against Mad Blankey in the opening trios? I read the iheartDG synopsis but I couldn't tell whether they're a permanent faction now or if it's just for this show.

Team Veteran was still united after DEAD or ALIVE, but obviously K-Ness was just swerving them. Fujii/CIMA/Gamma have been tagging with Saito as "City of Show" Middle School the last tour but it seems it was really just something for them to do until the units shake up.

DG has a new rookie that's been wrestling in dark matches over the last tour, haven't heard much about him though. He was on an episode of PRIME ZONE but I'm woefully behind on it.

Korakuen is tomorrow morning and is available on niconico with T&E's return to Tokyo and a big Korakuen Middle School v MAD BLANKEY matchup.

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 2, 2015

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, I got the part about K-ness working them, I just wasn't sure if CIMA/Fujii/Gamma had all officially reformed after Doi kicked them out, or if it was unofficial and they were just temporarily using the old colors.

That 8-man is going to be fun as hell. I wonder if Saito will to wrestle the whole match as Saito Sensei. It seems like they might be prepping him to defect from Jimmyz if he keeps teaming with the Veterans.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Korakuen was a lot of fun. I feel like a lot of it was killing time until Kobe World but the matches set up at CHAMPION GATE should be fantastic. YAMADoi v Amigo Tag and JACKED K-Ness versus Tozawa on the first night, then Jimmyz v newly graduated 3B Student Council (or VTRGUN) and Yoshino v Hulk for night two.

Next Korakuen has generational combat with the uneasy trio of Hulk/Tozawa/Takagi v T-Hawk/Eita/Shimizu which I think will lead to a singles match between Shimizu and Takagi at World. The other match is a reunited Speed Muscle/YAMATO v CIMA/Two Returning Americans. I'm guessing Johnny Gargano and Rich Swann but it could be anyone! Even Roderick Strong! (it's not Roderick Strong).

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i'm so excited to watch Speed Muscle fight each other instead of Ronin or whoever

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Stalker Ichikawa... won a match...? :stare:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

someone please post a photo of Lady CIMA and Santa Maria

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Is there a reason there haven't been any title matches for any belt at all since Dead or Alive? I know King of Gate kind of derails focus on belts in favor of the tournament, but it feels odd to have nothing defended on any card for over a month.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

oatgan posted:

someone please post a photo of Lady CIMA and Santa Maria

from Jae's twitter

sticklefifer posted:

Is there a reason there haven't been any title matches for any belt at all since Dead or Alive? I know King of Gate kind of derails focus on belts in favor of the tournament, but it feels odd to have nothing defended on any card for over a month.

KING of GATE/El Numero Uno always derails everything else. Next week in Hakata has everything defended, which is what they usually do to burn off the KoG defense/catch everything up.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Why did Flamita take off? Cagematch says he's only done 3 matches in minor Mexican promotions since last month. Does AAA want him or is this a temporary excursion sort of thing? He'd be perfect for LU.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

Why did Flamita take off? Cagematch says he's only done 3 matches in minor Mexican promotions since last month. Does AAA want him or is this a temporary excursion sort of thing? He'd be perfect for LU.

I think his contract was x amount of tours a year and he reached that. AAA at one time really wanted him, and there was a bit of a struggle to see who he'd go with, but I haven't heard anything about his status lately. DG's contracts expire/renew around Kobe World.

Speaking of that:

I'm shocked that they had Hulk drop the title in his last defense before world, even if I mentioned that as a possibility. Masato Yoshino now ties CIMA and YAMATO for most ODG reigns with 3. The main event challenger at 16th Kobe World is whom we expected: T-Hawk.

So that's going to be a hell of a match up. Yoshino is making his first Kobe World main event since 2010 and it's going to be likely his V1 defense. If T-Hawk wins, he takes a fall from the King of Gate, the new ODG champ, and someone who has only dropped one fall since March. That's a hell of a feather in his cap. Yoshino doesn't want to become a zero key champion, which has a stigma in DG.

The Brave Gate match at Kobe Word is Tozawa defending against Eita. Tozawa's egotistical streak is starting to crop up. I think it'll be interesting what's going to happen with that in regards to an unit shuffle, which feels pretty eminent to me.

Worth noting: rovert mentioned in another thread that it looks like Ricochet is getting a new Japanese visa and DG seems to be the rumor. That would make a lot of sense as one of CIMA's gaijins at the Korakuen in a few weeks. I guess it's him and Swann so Inner City Spiked Mohicans are a possibility going forward.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Ricochet returned today and will be there through Kobe World. Yay Rico!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Ricochet returned today and will be there through Kobe World. Yay Rico!

You think he'll get a title shot?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Maybe down the road? I believe that a lot of stuff is up in air with him and LU/WWE (he has lived with Uhaa in the states, and had that infamous tryout). I get the sense that he doesn't want to be based in Japan anymore, with his kid and career going in that trajectory. If LU doesn't get renewed, I expect him to have some more tours. He doesn't have the typical DG Gaijin contract (he didn't renew last year at World), so it might be a tour by tour thing with him.

They do really need to replenish their gaijin. It's cool that they are bringing folks back and especially the folks they are brining back, but with Uhaa gone/Flamita up in the air this is now the first time since 2005 without significant gaijin representation. I wonder if they are doing more scouting with Tozawa going back to PWG since the DG/Gabe relationship is dead.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Maybe down the road? I believe that a lot of stuff is up in air with him and LU/WWE (he has lived with Uhaa in the states, and had that infamous tryout). I get the sense that he doesn't want to be based in Japan anymore, with his kid and career going in that trajectory. If LU doesn't get renewed, I expect him to have some more tours. He doesn't have the typical DG Gaijin contract (he didn't renew last year at World), so it might be a tour by tour thing with him.

They do really need to replenish their gaijin. It's cool that they are bringing folks back and especially the folks they are brining back, but with Uhaa gone/Flamita up in the air this is now the first time since 2005 without significant gaijin representation. I wonder if they are doing more scouting with Tozawa going back to PWG since the DG/Gabe relationship is dead.

They should look towards the UK, lots of good talent there.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Bring in Speedball!

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

They should look towards the UK, lots of good talent there.

I'd love to see Osprey and Dar in DG. They had Scurill and Haskins back when PAC was around and they promoted the DGUK shows but I don't know if they still do those or if they're on hiatus.

ChampRamp posted:

Bring in Speedball!

I'd love to see him or Lee/Everett there. I think Speedball and Everett would have the best chance to both catch on (CIMA loves flipz, yo) and could get a lot out of the tours/dojo.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

I'd assume he just goes back to MX.

I wonder if Mundo would ever come to DG for a stint.

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I'd love to see Osprey and Dar in DG. They had Scurill and Haskins back when PAC was around and they promoted the DGUK shows but I don't know if they still do those or if they're on hiatus.

I'd love to see him or Lee/Everett there. I think Speedball and Everett would have the best chance to both catch on (CIMA loves flipz, yo) and could get a lot out of the tours/dojo.

They did 2 shows in the UK last year (sadly couldnt go :(), nothing announced for this year.

Ospreay would be a perfect fit for DG, he's in BOLA/PWG too right?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Regarding gaijin talk, from the June 3rd Korakuen show:

iheartdg posted:

CIMA talked about all the various friends that he & Tozawa made while on their various overseas excursions. He recently heard from two of them who wanted to return to the DRAGON GATE ring. He will bring them next month, but is keeping their identities a secret until then.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah that's Rico and NQQ says Swann but Meltz says Sydal

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Ricochet is X. There is a Y and a Z. The Z is not as well known, so that would make sense if it's Matt and Mike Sydal.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

ChampRamp posted:

Ricochet is X. There is a Y and a Z. The Z is not as well known, so that would make sense if it's Matt and Mike Sydal.

Yeah I was thinking Swann because of how long it's been since he's been there but knowing that there is a third, Matt and Mike Sydal make more sense. Mike Sydal was an assistant for MX when he was there so that'd further bolster that group. I don't remember much from watching him in DG other than he was wearing Matt's old tights.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

how come Rico isn't one of those two gaijin friends idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
https://vine.co/v/e5dUnj2YX1h

:3:

• Locked thread