Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

How long has CIMA been using the Meteora as his finisher? If it's been any sort of time how does he still have functioning knees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Dimebags Brain posted:

How long has CIMA been using the Meteora as his finisher? If it's been any sort of time how does he still have functioning knees?

He started using it after he came back from his really bad neck injury in 08. Between that and using the Mad Splash through 2004, it's really a wonder.

must be that midbreath

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
So I completely missed it, but the three infinities that covered the majority of KING OF GATE are up and we have a live Korakuen next week.

#375 05/16/2015 (Hulk v Tozawa, Yoshino v Shimizu, Eita Returns)

#376 05/24/2015 (Hulk v T-Hawk, Yoshino v Mochizuki, Class 3B Student Council, I believe the match where KAGETORA gets hella injured)

#377 05/30/2015 (T-Hawk v Yoshino, CIMA joins JIMMYZ for a night) & 5/31/2015 (Final Show at Sapporo Teisen Hall)

If there is interest, I'll toss these together for a KING OF GATE psp night next week either Tuesday or Thursday.

Korakuen has the big double main event 6-Man tags with Current Gen v 4th Gen (Hulk&Akira&Shingo v T+E+R) and Current Gen v "International Gen" (Speed Muscle/YAMATO v CIMA/Ricochet/Likely Matt Sydal) and it's up for pre-order on niconico.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Dammit NQQ I had poo poo to do today.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
is there enough interest for me to do a special Kobe World thread or should I just keep it in here? I'm going to at least do rundowns of the main matches/previews. I was also thinking of doing an podcast catching folks up for Dragon Gate's biggest show of the year.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

is there enough interest for me to do a special Kobe World thread or should I just keep it in here? I'm going to at least do rundowns of the main matches/previews. I was also thinking of doing an podcast catching folks up for Dragon Gate's biggest show of the year.

Your detailed DG posts are always quality, do it

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Do it. I've been really busy so I haven't been following DG as much as I've wanted since DOA outside of the King of Gate matches.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I would just keep the post here. I'm a couple months behind on Dragon Gate and they are always very helpful

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Word. I'll keep it here. I've already outlined the four title matches so expect effort posts about those in the weeks leading up to Kobe World. I've updated the graphics on the first post. Will do an update of the units later this week, probably after Korakuen.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

He started using it after he came back from his really bad neck injury in 08. Between that and using the Mad Splash through 2004, it's really a wonder.

must be that midbreath

Midbreath's pharmacology team is a work of art.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
So I'm not going to pull this off next week, but I do have the last Mochizuki Presents Buyuden and Minoru Suzuki/Mocchy at Kobe World 06. I was thinking about next Tuesday-Thursday. What sounds good?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
starting this morning's korakuen. stoked about the big 6 mans.

I hate to see Shachi down in the preshow opener after dropping the twin gate but his match with Arai was a lot of fun!

Really disappointing to see how much joining Millenials killed the love that Tokyo had for Lindaman.

Mike Sydal's yoga gimmick and move set is pretty cool. It's already connecting and Dragon Gate is the perfect place for something goofy like that. I think him getting a good excursion/a lot of dojo time will be good for him. Also Gamma saying hi to Sho Funaki in the crowd was great.

Congrats Kotoka, your improvement and PT being horrible has elevated you above being the most garbage wrestler in the company. PT you're the worst! Fujii and Saito beating the poo poo out of you wasn't enough to make that tag match watchable!

I think Kong's best role is being the beefy tag team partner. Him and K-ness were awesome and the tag they had with DK/Shisa was probably five minutes away from being a MOTY HM. K-ness breaking out some of the Darkness Dragon callback moves and having incredible chemistry with all three other people in the match was great. Worth watching!

I can't wait for 2020 and Genki Horiguchi becomes a super sleazy Ricky Fuji doing the H.A.GeeMee stuff.

Susumu/Horiguchi v Kzy/Mocchy is also worth a watch. Really really good and makes me really bummed that Mocchy v Susumu from KING of GATE didn't make tape.

OH DIP MASATO TANAKA TEAMING WITH SHINGO VS HULK/SHIMIZU AT WORLD I AM loving HYPED

haha Doi's utter contempt for Tokyo and the Speed Star stinger starting Yoshino's theme.

The International Generation 6 man tag was mental! I love Rico in LU but he's much more in his element in Dragon Gate and the Tokyo crowd loved and missed him so much.

The Next Gen v Current Gen was amazing as well! I love Big R as a big man and I honestly think he has a better future ahead of him rather than T-Hawk, but that's not going to stop Genki/CIMA from having T-Hawk be their young guy.

AND THE SHAKE UP HAPPENS! I can really see Jimmyz get ended at this point, followed by Blankey and then Millenials. I don't know what you do with guys like PT, Mondai, Tanizaki, Kanda and Kotoka if their groups get dissolved but we need some movement. MX needs reenforcements, CIMA/Gamma/Fujii need an unit and DH could use a new member.

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 2, 2015

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

when is somebody streaming dragon gate ty

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

epitasis posted:

when is somebody streaming dragon gate ty

I can do the king of gate stuff tomorrow night or next week. I refuse to stream today's show immediately because all the pirating reduced the amount of shows dg runs on iPPV. Support the drat product y'all.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Akira Tozawa seriously has the best screams of pain I've ever heard from any wrestler and yes I'm counting Show getting crotched.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
so gaora has been pulling on a spree of pulling dg stuff from dailymotion again so nix that king of gate idea.

does anyone have jeff lynch's new email address? i haven't got an email about his trading mailing list over the last few months.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I hope they join the bandwagon and start a monthly streaming service. I admit that NJPW World and WWE Network have spoiled me to the point where I'm reluctant to pay for single shows unless it's something huge like Kobe World or DOA, but I'd definitely give a streaming service a try.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Thauros posted:

I hope they join the bandwagon and start a monthly streaming service. I admit that NJPW World and WWE Network have spoiled me to the point where I'm reluctant to pay for single shows unless it's something huge like Kobe World or DOA, but I'd definitely give a streaming service a try.

Yeah GAORA is the one hold out. I've looked into IPTV and other methods to get it, but it's frankly too much of an investment at this point. Luckily niconico isn't so bad when you get used to it and they're back to showing shows from Osaka, so viewership must be up.

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 3, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hey NQQ, what's going on with Flamita right now? Daryl Surat was saying he's not on AAA shows and he isn't on DG ones either, so....

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Hey NQQ, what's going on with Flamita right now? Daryl Surat was saying he's not on AAA shows and he isn't on DG ones either, so....

DG wise? I believe that he was finishing up his tour commitment with that return to face Tozawa and he doesn't have anymore tours on his contract this year. DG contracts traditionally renew after Kobe World, so if he's getting another Gaijin Tour contract, it'll be around then. They haven't announced the wrestlers in the 3 way elimination unit dissolves match on 8/6 so he might resign at World and show up on the Millenials team. If it's a trios or atomicos match, they'll need someone to bollster that team because T-Hawk/Eita/U-T ain't gonna cut it even if Hawk and Eita win their title matches.

I thought I saw he was on a Chillanga Mask show this month so he hasn't completely disappeared. His home base was DTU, which was affiliated through AAA through Crazy Boy but someone more versed on Lucha would know about that relationship.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Oh dang, Shingo's tagging with Masato Tanaka vs Hulk & Shimizu at World. That's going to be nuts. That whole card looks great.

I'm a little sad that Ricochet didn't just go straight back to MX, but he'd overshadow them at this point. Putting him with Sydal and an unaffiliated CIMA is interesting.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

Oh dang, Shingo's tagging with Masato Tanaka vs Hulk & Shimizu at World. That's going to be nuts. That whole card looks great.

I'm a little sad that Ricochet didn't just go straight back to MX, but he'd overshadow them at this point. Putting him with Sydal and an unaffiliated CIMA is interesting.

He's tagging with them on the live Osaka show. I think if Sydal and Rico are sticking around, they might end up in an unit with the Triangle Gate team, but they'd still need a loss post. I don't think they are sticking though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Is it just a perspective trick, or do Sydal and Ricochet actually switch positions in midair? Sydal starts around YAMATO's torso and Ricochet starts around his waist.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 4, 2015

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

Is it just a perspective trick, or do Sydal and Ricochet actually switch positions in midair? Sydal starts around YAMATO's torso and Ricochet starts around his waist.

I think Sydal goes diagonally but Ricochet stays even.

Also it looks like that all of the GAORA shows are going to be on VEOH. All the title matches from CHAMPION GATE are up here: http://www.veoh.com/list/u/RealHero120. I haven't seen any of them but I'm pumped for all four.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I'm running the title matches with other stuff including a MINORU SUZUKI/MOCCHY TAG MATCH RIGHT THE gently caress NOW at http://psp-tv.com/r/ebrietas

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Kobe World Preview Series Part One

Open the Triangle Gate 3-Way Match: CIMA/Gamma/Don Fujii © v Masaaki Mochizuki/Dragon Kid/Kzy [DIA.HEARTS] v Ryo “Jimmy” Saito/Jimmy Susumu/Genki Horiguchi H.A.GeeMee!! [JIMMYZ]

It’s a 3-Way!

It wouldn’t be a Pro Wrestling Festival without a multi-team match. Since the days of Crazy Max v M2K v Toryumon Sekigun, the hallmark of the Dragon System has been the elimination trios match. This year we have many of the veterans of Dragon Gate in the most frantic match DG has to offer with CIMA, Fujii, Mocchy, DK, Genki and Saito being the representatives from the first 3-way match. Honestly, not many of them have lost a step in the 14 years since that first go around. CIMA even dusted off the cobwebs from his original finishing combination, the Iconoclasm followed by the Mad Splash to defeat the Jimmyz team in the Triangle Gate decision match a few weeks back. Expect to see an incredibly fast pace and a bunch of hijinks with the Jimmyz and Gamma in this matchup.

Recent Pedigree

Talking about the Triangle Gate decision match, all three teams have had recent experience holding the Triangle Gate with Kzy and Saito excluded. Dia.Hearts started the year as Triangle Gate champions with Mocchy, Dragon Kid and Big R Shimizu. They would have three defenses before dropping the straps to Susumu, Jimmy Kagetora and Horiguchi. The Jimmyz team would defend the titles twice before they were forced to vacate due to Kagetora suffering a severe back injury. Often in the 3-way and 4-way matches there will be a team that feels added to create this stipulation. This isn’t the case now, all three teams will be coming into Kobe strong and have rational opportunities to leave Triangle Gate champions.

End of the School Year

There is a bit of storyline to discuss when we talk about this matchup. A major storyline for 2015 was the Zombie Veterans group of CIMA/Gamma/Fujii/K-ness being forced to join Mad Blankey due to a case of Doi Darts and Saito becoming Vice Principal of Middle School Class 3B. Sensei Saito spent his spring beseeching Tatsuki Fuji to discover the errors of his ways and come back to the side of good. It took until DEAD OR ALIVE for Fujii to heed the call of Sensei and snap out of his Zombie personality to aid Saito out of the cage match.

Soon after K-ness and the rest of Mad Blankey would expel the rest of the Veterans and they would come under the tutelage of Saito’s Student Council. Fujii was declared President, Gamma the Secretary, and CIMA would be the lowly class janitor. Although it was a short lived gag unit, during the decision match Saito looked heartbroken as his pupils attacked him viciously in order for them to win the match. It doesn’t help that the Jimmyz’ future is at stake soon after Kobe World in a 3-way Loser Disbands match on 8/6 and that they are the most senior unit in Dragon Gate. Unit movements are on the horizon and the Jimmyz will need a strong win in this match to gain momentum going into Korakuen Hall with their existence on the line. A successful defense by the champions could indicate that the three will stay united as the winds of change are upon Dragon Gate.

NEXT UP ON WEDNESDAY: OPEN THE BRAVE GATE - AKIRA TOZAWA © V EITA

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

you're a real treasure for these.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I have a busy rest of my week so I'm posting the next preview early

===

Open the Brave Gate Match: Akira Tozawa © [MONSTER EXPRESS] v Eita [MILLENIALS]

Similar Personality

The first thing I’d like to get into about this match was that it hit me how similar the two are personality-wise. Akira Tozawa’s early career was full of him being an obnoxious teenager that pissed off the vets/staff and he was forced down the card and being treated like poo poo. Someone not as committed to wrestling would quit rather than being forced to gain almost a hundred pounds and wrestle in the smallest pair of trunks imaginable. Eventually Tozawa had his miracle excursion and became the Big Over, but still a petulant and self-absorbed side of Akira Tozawa exists.

Eita Kobayashi was the first person sent on excursion after Tozawa. He won the KING OF CHOP tournament and asked to go to Mexico as his prize. This would be the first seed of the formation of the Millenials as later T-Hawk (then known as Tomahawk amongst thirty other names) and U-T (then a DG Nex trainee named Yuta Tanaka) joined him. Since his return, Eita has been known as a prickly character. On social media he’d mention he wished he was back in Mexico. Earlier this year Eita was off a few months worth of cards, partially due to an injury but murmurs spread that his return was held up due to behavioral issues. So at Kobe World we will see two of the black sheep of the Dragon System face off for the Brave Gate.

Build Up

It has been rather one-sided between Tozawa and Eita since Tozawa called Eita out after his last successful defense against K-Ness. (which is worth a view! I thought it was about ****/MOTYHM) Each time Tozawa has faced Eita in a multi-man match in the build up to Kobe, he has dispatched him with ease. Afterwards, Tozawa would grab the microphone and belittle Eita, saying that he’s going to take him out and embarrass him in front of the biggest crowd of the year. His dickhead streak is coming back out and he’s making a point that Eita doesn’t have the bravery to unseat the eternal Brave Gate champion. Eita thinks his experience in surviving Mexico makes him more brave than anyone and he’ll put the older wrestler in his place as he and T-Hawk plan for a New Generation clean sweep.

2015 and where to from here?

2015 has been a strong year for Akira Tozawa. He captured his first major singles title and is arguably the most popular wrestler in the promotion, getting the majority of the calls during his matches. As Monster Express has been undermanned with Uhaa Nation’s departure and the hiatus of Ricochet, he has been their cornerstone. He is Monster Express. He’s beaten Flamita, the last dominant Brave Gate champion, in a decisive matchup and with the exception of his matches with BXB Hulk he is the most protected man in the promotion. If he makes his next defense against Eita, the question is who’s next? Is he going to have a reign like PAC/Neville or Flamita or is it time for a new champion? Could Akira Tozawa try to be a triple champion and claim the next Dream Key and get the next shot between T-Hawk and Yoshino?

As mentioned before, Eita’s 2015 has been rather spotty. Millenials temporarily ended their war with Mad Blankey with the new members of Kotoka and El Lindaman bolstering their unit. If he wins the Brave Gate, Eita will have some much needed elevation and momentum going into the Losing Unit Dissolves match in August. But what if he loses? Will he still be in the DG doghouse? Will Millenials have enough power on their side to survive? If they fail, will Eita be on the wayside during the unit shuffle or seen as the weak link of the T+E team?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cool thank you. go tozawa imo

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
I like Eita but being against Tozawa means there is zero chance of rooting for him.

Tozawa should defend and then win every belt, in DG and also every other promotion.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I don't think Eita's quite there just yet. Out of the Millennials the obvious immediate future star there is T-Hawk. Tozawa's right on the cusp of being main event and he needs this more.

Side note: Is there any actual way to get a hold of early DG shows? Even just the main PPV ones would be fine, like anything post-Torymon up to late 00s. Aside from scouring Dailymotion for specific matches I haven't found much of a way to see older shows. I really wish Gaora would throw it all together onto a streaming service. They have the rights to tons more poo poo than DG so they could easily pull it off.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

I don't think Eita's quite there just yet. Out of the Millennials the obvious immediate future star there is T-Hawk. Tozawa's right on the cusp of being main event and he needs this more.

Side note: Is there any actual way to get a hold of early DG shows? Even just the main PPV ones would be fine, like anything post-Torymon up to late 00s. Aside from scouring Dailymotion for specific matches I haven't found much of a way to see older shows. I really wish Gaora would throw it all together onto a streaming service. They have the rights to tons more poo poo than DG so they could easily pull it off.

I would totally sign up for Open the Streaming Gate, especially if they got archives. I'd love to see guys like Mochizuki, Susumu, Magnum, and Millano tear it up in their prime.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I love tozawa

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Dimebags Brain posted:

I would totally sign up for Open the Streaming Gate, especially if they got archives. I'd love to see guys like Mochizuki, Susumu, Magnum, and Millano tear it up in their prime.

i know what you mean by 'in their prime' but susumu & mochizuki were having incredible matches like 3 years ago mochizuki especially.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

Tozawa's definitely a main eventer. He's a member of the big six class and pretty much from when he took control of Blood Warriors/turned it into Mad Blankey he got that position. It's just the weirdness of his career that this is his first singles title belt and that he has taken Hulk's role as biggest loser and most keys without a title win. (or it might be Kong but Kong doesn't count because lol CIMA/Genki ain't going to trust him again after another stinker on PPV).

https://www.openthedragongate.com used to be updated all the time but has gone dormant this year/a lot of their stuff went down. There still is a lot of big ppvs/some Toryumon stuff up there. Outside of that, Jae has almost every big show from the DG era/a lot from Toryumon, and he only charges $3 per mp4. Outside of that, you'd have to go tape trader and I think Jeff Lynch is the person with the most complete library. I think IVP had to pull a lot of Dragon Gate because of Gabe.

NotQuiteQuentin fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 8, 2015

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
so according to big dave one of the japanese wrestlers getting a tryout last week was yo-hey/the former ryoma.

yes. that ryoma.

:bang:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

That's the toryumon trainee who took all the heat off Shingo for the monkey thing, yeah?

he'd actually be an ok signing

oatgan fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 9, 2015

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

oatgan posted:

That's the young lion who took all the heat off Shingo for the monkey thing, yeah?

he'd actually be an ok signing

it was him, shingo, another dojo kid that were the ones who took it. ryoma and the dojo kid mainly, but shingo, cima, okamura and kagetora took significant blame. if i'm right cora ended up with someone close to cima's parents (this was close to seven years ago so my memory is fuzzy).

i was more frustrated that it was him getting a look than others, but he's been working with tajiri for years since getting back into puro so i suspect that's why.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'd imagine a lot of the more prominent DG guys are locked down. I really want Flamita in a major North American promotion though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

sticklefifer posted:

I'd imagine a lot of the more prominent DG guys are locked down. I really want Flamita in a major North American promotion though.

Everyone is year to year like other Japanese promotion. The only major difference is that DG traditionally runs a Kobe World to Kobe World contract structure rather than Jan 4 to Jan 4 like NJPW. Rarely DGers leave, the major ones that have were Milano and SUWA. I'm really surprised that Flamita hasn't popped up on USA indies or Gabe hasn't tried to get him on Evolve shows.

While I was doing work this morning I found one of my favorite matches in Toryumon History on Veoh. Enjoy the 2/3 falls Mascara contra Mascara match between Dragon Kid and Darkness Dragon from 2002! It's from the major Toryumon Japan v T2P show which also featured Disco Inferno of all people.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v795628GwRn6SwR?h1=Dragon+Kid+vs+Darkness+Dragon%2C+2%2F3+falls%2C+mask+vs+mask

• Locked thread