Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
So D.C. is freaking out over the <2in. of snow we got today. Here's one of our Tomb Sentinels here at The Old Guard standing watch at the Tomb of the Unknowns in Arlington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Ultrasonic cleaning is a two step process that most units focus on part one of: get poo poo off of it.

Unfortunately, this step also removes any "not metal" from the metal, including old lube buried deep in the pores of the metal.

You need to ultrasonically lube it to get oil back down in those pores. Most units don't do this. They wipe it with oil, and the part will not properly absorb all of it, so it'll be MORE vulnerable to poo poo sticking to it.

But the military focuses on the dumbest poo poo on getting a gun running, mainly keeping them looking pretty, by scouring off minor poo poo with horrifyingly caustic and abrasive materials, slowly loving up the tolerances of the weapon.

There's no such thing as blueing private, take a wire brush and get the weapon clean.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Ultrasonic cleaning is a two step process that most units focus on part one of: get poo poo off of it.

Unfortunately, this step also removes any "not metal" from the metal, including old lube buried deep in the pores of the metal.

You need to ultrasonically lube it to get oil back down in those pores. Most units don't do this. They wipe it with oil, and the part will not properly absorb all of it, so it'll be MORE vulnerable to poo poo sticking to it.

But the military focuses on the dumbest poo poo on getting a gun running, mainly keeping them looking pretty, by scouring off minor poo poo with horrifyingly caustic and abrasive materials, slowly loving up the tolerances of the weapon.
It almost seemed like it had a film on it after the bath. It turned what would have been maybe 45 minutes of work into 2.5 hours.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

There's no such thing as blueing private, take a wire brush and get the weapon clean.
Back when my dad was in he stopped out at a missile site for some reason and during conversation mentioned that one of the security policemen should clean his M16. Next time he was out there the guy comes over all proud to show him the cleaning job he did. He'd run it through an industrial dishwasher and wore almost all the bluing off.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Pretty :nms: video of an Egyptian EOD technician getting blown up in Cairo earlier today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFCO1kF_CLM

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
The bomb suit really helped!

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
At least he didn't have time to think about how much time he spent sweating his balls off in that thing for no loving reason.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Huh, I'd heard about that kind of IED but never seen one in the wild. At least if it was what I think it was. I think OPSEC Wizard (RIP in piss) would get pissed at me for explaining it though.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

It went off a second or two after he dropped that pack next to it. I'm no EOD but he was trying to BIP it with a satchel? The drat thing was probably radio controlled. ADE 651 failed them :(

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

In Egypt, ADE 651 may be better as a magic device that cures HIV and Hep-C.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Huh, I'd heard about that kind of IED but never seen one in the wild. At least if it was what I think it was. I think OPSEC Wizard (RIP in piss) would get pissed at me for explaining it though.

rip OPSEC WIZARD :smith:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

drat, IEDs, AIDS, these things do it all.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Yo that's a virginity tester in this context

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
PTSD is for pussies - Sir Adrian Carton de Wiart

Boer War, WW1, WW2

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Zeris posted:

The bomb suit really helped!

kept all his bits in a tidy package mostly!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

kept all his bits in a tidy package mostly!

He might even get to have an open casket funeral!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ded posted:

PTSD is for pussies - Sir Adrian Carton de Wiart

Boer War, WW1, WW2

Those upper five are all chivalrous orders, aren't they?

Edit: and a Victoria Cross on the bottom left

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Shot twice in the face, losing his eye. This was before he went to the Western Front and got the VC in WWI.

quote:

In male company he was 'a delightful character and must hold the world record for bad language.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Carton_de_Wiart

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Shot twice in the face, losing his eye. This was before he went to the Western Front and got the VC in WWI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Carton_de_Wiart

Probably the only man to ever claim that he enjoyed the first World War

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

"Adrian Carton de Wiart" posted:

We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.

True loving badass :clint:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
thats a nice gently caress you

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
:captainpop:
Is that going to be in the Aussie papers today/tomorrow?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I don't know, I'm not even sure what it means besides a vague Han/Greedo reference and an implication to the idiocy of arguing that the cartoonists in any way deserved it, or could be reasonably expected to have known this was a consequence worth considering.

If they'd hired a security guard or two after the fire bombing, for example, the body count would just be that much higher. Dudes weren't loving around.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Zeris posted:

I don't know, I'm not even sure what it means besides a vague Han/Greedo reference and an implication to the idiocy of arguing that the cartoonists in any way deserved it, or could be reasonably expected to have known this was a consequence worth considering.

If they'd hired a security guard or two after the fire bombing, for example, the body count would just be that much higher. Dudes weren't loving around.

They had upped their security measures after the firebombing. One of the cops killed was there as a security detail for the editor-in-chief.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Zeris posted:

They shot a cop that was doing PSD for one of the redactors, and another one in the street after. So yeah.

e: gently caress you raplh

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Well goddamn

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Zeris posted:

These guys had actual training, not the regular terrorist morons. More guards would have definitely been killed as well.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

ded posted:

These guys had actual training, not the regular terrorist morons. More guards would have definitely been killed as well.

I'm glad we agree?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
That's pretty loving good shot groupings. Jesus

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

That's pretty loving good shot groupings. Jesus
Yeah, nice and low on the windshield. Short range but still. I don't which car that is, but one car actually intercepted them after the fact, and had to retreat under fire.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Too soon?

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah, nice and low on the windshield. Short range but still. I don't which car that is, but one car actually intercepted them after the fact, and had to retreat under fire.

Probably this one:

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Caconym posted:

Probably this one:

They then proceeded after this to execute the downed policeman.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
gently caress, that poo poo was cold blooded, dude had his hands up and was shot execution style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2sWndROaGg

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 8, 2015

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Marines embark for the assault on Peleliu Island, 1944

Motherfucker's stache game is on point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!