Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

berzerker posted:

It's bizarre to me, as a historian, to see anyone refer to Reconstruction and Jim Crow as "missing" years. They ARE a standard part of American history courses. Few high school courses go into enormous detail on any aspect of US history, and fewer still get past WWII due to time reasons, but that doesn't make a conspiracy to hide post-WWII history from students. (Cue 20 pages of people with anecdotes about how well or poorly taught it was in their specific schools)

I don't think there is a conspiracy or anything but I do think the period gets insufficient attention paid to it given the enormous impact it has had on present day America. It is also really hard to drill into a teenage student's mind just how godawful it was to be black during that time period, in much the same way that people have difficulty getting a true grip of other atrocities in human history. You just don't want to think that people are capable of such horror.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Any text from the patent reform bill?

I'm fairly sure it was nearly entirely targeted at Non Practicing Entities, including fee shifting to make NPEs responsible for defendant's fees if the NPE loses, limits on discovery, "real party of interest" rules to prevent the current tactic of filing lawsuits using empty shell companies (and helping get better fee recovery), and stricter requirements for NPEs to actually identify how they believe their patent is being violated. Also longer post-grant review window filing times, barring NPEs from using the International Trade Commission import injunction process, and perhaps additional post-grant review for older patents.

The real party of interest rule combined with fee shifting could completely gently caress over trolling firms because right now if they lose they just dissolve up whatever shell company they spun off for the purpose suing, and the limits on discovery and ITC ban would significantly defang their ability to harass and threaten companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

berzerker posted:

It's bizarre to me, as a historian, to see anyone refer to Reconstruction and Jim Crow as "missing" years. They ARE a standard part of American history courses. Few high school courses go into enormous detail on any aspect of US history, and fewer still get past WWII due to time reasons, but that doesn't make a conspiracy to hide post-WWII history from students. (Cue 20 pages of people with anecdotes about how well or poorly taught it was in their specific schools)

I think there's probably less enthusiasm to talk about post-WWII stuff in History class even if you have time because it's WAY more controversial. Obviously Bush 43 and Obama can't be covered in an objective way right now, and we're still fighting about Reagan & Clinton and their impacts and legacies. Heck, half of the stuff our parties fight about traces back to LBJ's Great Society programs and whether to maintain them or partially roll them back.

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't think there is a conspiracy or anything but I do think the period gets insufficient attention paid to it given the enormous impact it has had on present day America. It is also really hard to drill into a teenage student's mind just how godawful it was to be black during that time period, in much the same way that people have difficulty getting a true grip of other atrocities in human history. You just don't want to think that people are capable of such horror.

Plus there are sensitivity limits on what teachers can talk about - white slaveowners regularly raping their slaves isn't something you can easily go over even in a 10th grade class without having certain types of folks breathing down your neck in areas where parents unironically opt their kids out of abstinence-only sex ed for being too salacious.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 2, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

This would have belonged in the last thread, but I'm glad that my congressional district was not fired up and ready for Ro.

I know I did my part. :patriot:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jackson Taus posted:

I think there's probably less enthusiasm to talk about post-WWII stuff in History class even if you have time because it's WAY more controversial. Obviously Bush 43 and Obama can't be covered in an objective way right now, and we're still fighting about Reagan & Clinton and their impacts and legacies. Heck, half of the stuff our parties fight about traces back to LBJ's Great Society programs and whether to maintain them or partially roll them back.

Nah, this might've been true a decade or two ago but not today. The Cold War ended 20 years ago and the people who served in (e.g.) Vietnam are in power and want you to know how much of a fuckup it was.

Even Iran-Contra is covered although it's more likely in a context of "allegations would not stick to the Teflon President".

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Shifty Pony posted:

I dunno, is it fair to say that insufficient attention is paid to it when its taught multiple times in some form. People get what was going on in those years in the rest of the country once (US History I was what it was called when I was a kid) throughout the whole of their education. Post-WWII gets covered even less, as was pointed out in this thread. Its interesting, there's a lot to cover yet for some reason certain areas get far too much of it. We spend too much time on the Aztecs, Incas and Mayas, too much on the French and Indian War, too much on the Holocaust, and (unless you are like me and live in PA) too much on William Penn and the founding of Philadelphia. We spend far too little on the 1880s to 1900s, settlement of the "Trans-Mississippi west", urban history, and classical history. But where do you fit all that poo poo in? And what do you do about current events/modern history without pissing anybody off?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

computer parts posted:

John Adams was a shithead.

Abigail Adams was awesome.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

This would have belonged in the last thread, but I'm glad that my congressional district was not fired up and ready for Ro.
A-loving-men. :patriot:

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Steve Scalise defender's ties to white nationalist group closer than he disclosed, documents show

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I'm glad Guy Fieri is finally being outed for the monster he really is.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Please let that guy's middle name be like Kevin or Keith.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cliff Racer posted:

I dunno, is it fair to say that insufficient attention is paid to it when its taught multiple times in some form. People get what was going on in those years in the rest of the country once (US History I was what it was called when I was a kid) throughout the whole of their education. Post-WWII gets covered even less, as was pointed out in this thread. Its interesting, there's a lot to cover yet for some reason certain areas get far too much of it. We spend too much time on the Aztecs, Incas and Mayas, too much on the French and Indian War, too much on the Holocaust, and (unless you are like me and live in PA) too much on William Penn and the founding of Philadelphia. We spend far too little on the 1880s to 1900s, settlement of the "Trans-Mississippi west", urban history, and classical history. But where do you fit all that poo poo in? And what do you do about current events/modern history without pissing anybody off?

I think we could probably stand to teach economic history and the development of capitalism from the 1500s onwards, American social history from the early 1800s onwards, and sampler courses on other cultures' histories, and drop everything else. The areas where I personally spent the most time on useless poo poo was Greco-Roman classical history and American military history. Meanwhile stuff like the period from the 1860s to WW1 was basically brushed aside as empty space.

The problem though is that liberal/left-leaning people criticizing history courses usually come from the angle of wanting to teach that liberalism/social democracy actually worked quite well and was pretty much the governing paradigm for America for a long time, but not only are you fighting for teaching time with people who are actively hostile to that message, you're also fighting for time with people who actually care about the boring, "irrelevant" bits of history like Classical Greek city states and military history. I think when criticizing this you should have a pretty specific idea of what exactly you want there to be more of, and what you want high school history courses to actually do

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 2, 2015

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

What the hell is he waiting for? He's going to be competing with football season.

It seems like the RNC is trying to limit the number of debates and keep them under strict control (so that they don't have people applauding Texas's execution record or saying "WOO! YEAH!" when the moderator asks if someone without health insurance should die in the street.)

Maybe scheduling debates so that few people actually watch them is part of the strategy. :v:

baw fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 2, 2015

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

icantfindaname posted:

The problem though is that liberal/left-leaning people criticizing history courses usually come from the angle of wanting to teach that liberalism/social democracy actually worked quite well and was pretty much the governing paradigm for America for a long time, but not only are you fighting for teaching time with people who are actively hostile to that message, you're also fighting for time with people who actually care about the boring, "irrelevant" bits of history like Classical Greek city states and military history. I think when criticizing this you should have a pretty specific idea of what exactly you want there to be more of, and what you want high school history courses to actually do

Why would you want there to be less Greece and Rome? There might be too much Greece (sorry, Hellophiles, Greece is far less important than Rome to modern culture) but I think we get enough or possibly slightly too little Rome and not enough classical Europe. Military history is interesting, less time should be spent on how most of the wars were fought but more should be spent on what effects the wars had politically and socially. Because most all of them, even ones that tend to get skipped over (Spanish American War!) did have large effects on the country for a time. As I said, there's just too much poo poo to get through.

Oddly enough I spent a whole year (5th grade) learning about the other countries in the western hemisphere. I assume that was a 1990s Pennsylvania only thing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mario Cuomo died, and I don't care.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Cliff Racer posted:

As I said, there's just too much poo poo to get through.

This is the truth. People are people and while historical contexts do change, they don't change so much that we can't derive useful lessons from nearly any event in the past. There are just too many relevant and important events in history to teach them all.

The problem here isn't so much history lessons as popular culture, entertainment doesn't care to focus on stuff that will make the audience feel bad. Heck, if instead of the Civil War, which makes great goodies vs baddies fodder for both sides, slavery had just been slowly compromised away there would probably be much less popular awareness or concern about slavery in general.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

zoux posted:

He opposed the death penalty, so that was something.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

zoux posted:

Doo dah, doo dah.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I'm still pretty interested to see how the Democrats are going to be able to retort against the coming cries of "We TRIED to get work done but OBAMA didn't let us! He's a tyrant!" when he vetoes anything more important than lunch orders.

Honestly, it seems like a pretty easy messaging win for the Republicans. They can push really hard for things they want (stronger laws against abortion, putting gays back in the closet, killing atheists in the street), knowing that they really don't have to think them through because they won't pass. When Obama blocks them for literally any reason, they just need to scream about how awful he is for keeping them from doing the good work they were elected for.

That will strengthen their base and maybe even win over some of the people who aren't terribly educated in the issues but just want the gridlock to stop. After all, the Republicans are trying to eliminate the gridlock but Obama won't let them!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

joeburz posted:

He opposed the death penalty, so that was something.

What was his stance on Israel.

I guess I'm glad of the death of a Yankee politician.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SquadronROE posted:

I'm still pretty interested to see how the Democrats are going to be able to retort against the coming cries of "We TRIED to get work done but OBAMA didn't let us! He's a tyrant!" when he vetoes anything more important than lunch orders.

Honestly, it seems like a pretty easy messaging win for the Republicans. They can push really hard for things they want (stronger laws against abortion, putting gays back in the closet, killing atheists in the street), knowing that they really don't have to think them through because they won't pass. When Obama blocks them for literally any reason, they just need to scream about how awful he is for keeping them from doing the good work they were elected for.

That will strengthen their base and maybe even win over some of the people who aren't terribly educated in the issues but just want the gridlock to stop. After all, the Republicans are trying to eliminate the gridlock but Obama won't let them!

Now they just have to agree on what they want, without earmarks to persuade reluctant members.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

SquadronROE posted:

It gets harder for them to blame Obama when they control both chambers. All the things they can do to turn out their own base will turn out the Democratic base in 2016 as well. There's obviously more "slack" in the Democratic base as far as people actually turning out to vote. I think the line they have to walk over the next two years is thinner than most people realize.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

SquadronROE posted:

If stopping the gridlock was enough to motivate such people wouldn't the past few years already have done that? Granted the R side tends to be much, much louder.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

SMLOTUS in an exercise accident.

(He'll be fine but he broke his face and some ribs)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

baw posted:

How's his spine?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Hasn't had one for years :v::hf::v:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReV VAdAUL posted:

This is the truth. People are people and while historical contexts do change, they don't change so much that we can't derive useful lessons from nearly any event in the past. There are just too many relevant and important events in history to teach them all.

The problem here isn't so much history lessons as popular culture, entertainment doesn't care to focus on stuff that will make the audience feel bad. Heck, if instead of the Civil War, which makes great goodies vs baddies fodder for both sides, slavery had just been slowly compromised away there would probably be much less popular awareness or concern about slavery in general.

At least from my experience, they have phased out all of the stuff people find tangential (Greek, Roman stuff) or at least it's not included in a class about US history. It also really depends which age group you're talking about though.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Chadderbox posted:

It gets harder for them to blame Obama when they control both chambers.

On the other hand the right wing pundits have been priming their "Democrats are the real Party of No" tag line all last Congress and the Tea Party wing is already pointing to Obama's veto pen as proof. It'll be hard to shake off that label when it's no longer hidden in negative actions (legislative tricks like not taking up bills). When rejection is refocused as a positive action (vetoing bills) it's a lot harder to dodge blame.

baw posted:

SMaLOTUS soon to be SMiLOTUS.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

On the other hand the right wing pundits have been priming their "Democrats are the real Party of No" tag line all last Congress and the Tea Party wing is already pointing to Obama's veto pen as proof. It'll be hard to shake off that label when it's no longer hidden in negative actions (legislative tricks like not taking up bills). When rejection is refocused as a positive action (vetoing bills) it's a lot harder to dodge blame.

SMaLOTUS soon to be SMiLOTUS.

Don't worry the GOP will take 100% credit for low gas prices and good economy though.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Fried Chicken posted:

My New Year thus far involved a kitchen fire, so needless to say my plans to build on and tweak the contribution of ComradeCosmobot were delayed. I present what they put together (9 pages worth) below

quote:

All this horrible stuff, like wow. This is bad.

:negative:

Yeah. I'm going to take the thread title's advice. gently caress politics forever.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DemeaninDemon posted:

Don't worry the GOP will take 100% credit for low gas prices and good economy though.

Rick Perry is very much hoping that people don't credit him with low gas prices.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

Rick Perry is very much hoping that people don't credit him with low gas prices.

Its funny how they championed the idea that Obama was driving gas prices sky high, and now are embarrassed because their lobbyists are hurting from low gas prices.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Inglonias posted:

Yeah. I'm going to take the thread title's advice. gently caress politics forever.

Some of my favorites are the bills specifically designed to do nothing more than produce Fox talking points whether they pass or not. "Why doesn't Obama want us to know how many regulations his agencies are promulgating? How do we know how big government really is? We need smaller government!"/"Did you know that over 1,000 regulations will be added in the next year? We need smaller government!"

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

SquadronROE posted:

I would hope that the Democrats could push back by highlight some of the shittier bills as stuff that the American people don't want,, but that would require competence.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Yeah, as the GOP have shown inaction and obstruction can motivate your base if you sell it right but the Dems likely won't be able to do that.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

On the other hand the right wing pundits have been priming their "Democrats are the real Party of No" tag line all last Congress and the Tea Party wing is already pointing to Obama's veto pen as proof. It'll be hard to shake off that label when it's no longer hidden in negative actions (legislative tricks like not taking up bills). When rejection is refocused as a positive action (vetoing bills) it's a lot harder to dodge
It's already an article of faith with the right that it was the Dems who shut down the government because the GOP wanted to fund everything except X, Y and Z and the Dems wouldn't go along

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Obama won't be running for office again though. I'm sure there will be strategic defections in Congress on this bill or that which only take place because they know the President will veto the bill if it passes. There will be difficulty painting the entire party that way. I'm actually anticipating that they're going to try and pass bills that are reasonable ENOUGH that Obama will sign a few of them, lest they confirm they were the problem all along which will hurt them far longer than just 2016.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SquadronROE posted:

They can't push too hard or they're in danger of being hoisted on their own petard. They were always going to complain about Obama's tyranical veto pen, but they can't actually get anywhere with that if Obama's vetoes are of the Lock Gays In The Closet Bill, Burn The EPA At The Stake Statute, and the Tax Cuts For The Rich, Snide Laughs For The Poor Omnibus.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Gyges posted:

They can't push too hard or they're in danger of being hoisted on their own petard. They were always going to complain about Obama's tyranical veto pen, but they can't actually get anywhere with that if Obama's vetoes are of the Lock Gays In The Closet Bill, Burn The EPA At The Stake Statute, and the Tax Cuts For The Rich, Snide Laughs For The Poor Omnibus.

They could if they piggy back Lock Gays in the Closet with No Social Security for Osama bin Laden.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Jackson Taus posted:

I would hope that the Democrats could push back by highlight some of the shittier bills as stuff that the American people don't want,, but that would require competence.

It would also require a majority of the voting public to understand subtleties.

All they'll hear is politician XX voted against the "MAKING 'MERICA GREAT" bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Gravel Gravy posted:

They could if they piggy back Lock Gays in the Closet with No Social Security for Osama bin Laden.

What about a "find Osama's corpse so we can piss on it" act?

• Locked thread