Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

One thing that does annoy me about Cataclysm, watching it now, is that it just takes forever to hyperspace the main vessel. There's a reason the Mothership in the original game is tall instead of long. I don't remember if the Taidan mothership had the same issue in the first game. The reason it bugs me is because it drags out a cinematic sequence that just, I don't know, "feels better" in comparison when done in a shortened way. Like there's additional padding that's been cut. I mean, do we really need to see every bit of that giant ship get phased out every time? Weirdest little nitpick I ever wrote, I think, but there you go.

Also, what the heck was with the weird accents all of a sudden?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

The line you're referring to is my favorite line in the entire franchise.
Bullshit. That one belongs to the Bentusi.
Although the one you're talking about is pretty great.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

MJ12 posted:

Note that the Acolyte is a design that the Somtaaw don't fully understand, because it is a Bentusi-gifted technology (as were the high-efficiency fighter drives) so the linking technology may be the Somtaaw figuring out how to improvise new features according to what the Acolyte chassis can do but they haven't worked with yet. Keep this in mind for a bit. Also, on the things early in the game (or in the manual) you should keep in mind, keep in mind how the Kuun-Lan introduces itself in Mission 1. That also has a great payoff later.

Oh, I know about that little bit. Even with Bentusi level science and magics it's an odd way to design a thing.

Also the Somtaaw like to lift design clues from the Bentusi, take a look at our brave little resource processor.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
One thing really makes me sad about this game: The writing is, as mentioned, solid, a little by the numbers, but definitely solid. I'm surprised you didn't mention this, but... The writing team is Martin Cirulis (Mecron) and Arinn Dembo. Graem Castell (voice) is also a familiar name for some reason, but it claims he's only ever worked on Homeworld: Cataclysm.

Still... That's a lot of crew we just lost. A lot of crew.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
It's debatable how much crew was lost considering most of lost ship was resource tanks and a shipyard.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Execution is everything. A bad/overused idea done well is leagues better than a good/original idea done poorly.

While the Taiidan Imperialists are still in the picture, a saga against them would tread too much old ground and there's already a pretty neat story in the Cataclysm manual about just such a thing.

Executive Summary: A married couple of Kiith Tambuur are the only ones of their clan to make the List of people to go on the Mothership to find the Homeworld. The husband wakes up on Hiigara to find out that not only is Kharak gone with the rest of his clan, his wife's cryostasis pod was one of those irreparably damaged in the attack. He promptly declares 'Eternal Vengeance' on the Taiidani Imperialists. A few other survivors woken up from cryostasis are totally on board with that and join up with him, becoming honorary members of Kiith Tambuur. In respect for his oath the Hiigarans give him and his followers a frigate and let him get on with his vengeance.

He has since risen to become one of the top bounty hunters in the quadrant with the heads of over 300 Taiidan war criminals credited to his name.

More evidence that you don't mess with the Hiigarans even without their salvage corvettes!

Another part of the manual states that this husbands story, or some variation of it, is actually the case for pretty much all the mimic pilots.... save the "gaining respect", and "rise to be a hero" part of course, because this is Homeworld and the Universe would like to say "gently caress you". They are (usually) made up of the Sleepers who woke up from the cryopods and couldn't deal with reality. Their therapy is to become essentially (spoilered because I'm not sure we have seen the ability yet)suicide bombers.

Speaking of great lines, I still don't know whether "Cut us loose" or "I'm sure they'll forget to thank us later" better encapsulates the game. Either are spectacular examples of well-delivered lines in an age before voice acting was really recognized as the art that it is. At any rate, I look forward to seeing the Somtaaw engineers at work, to whom "risk averse" is a malady that will get you kicked out of school.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 4, 2015

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The voice acting and some of the audio direction in that cutscene ruins some of it for me. Science guy sounds like the scratch dialogue they recorded to get the timing right but never replaced and then you get Command hearing the agonized screams of the crew in the background but somehow the guy he's talking to doesn't notice until a couple of lines later :v:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

evilmiera posted:

I would attribute that to some lesser Kiith individuals with different accents being assimilated into Somtaaw.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

The voice acting and some of the audio direction in that cutscene ruins some of it for me. Science guy sounds like the scratch dialogue they recorded to get the timing right but never replaced and then you get Command hearing the agonized screams of the crew in the background but somehow the guy he's talking to doesn't notice until a couple of lines later :v:

Nah, the camera hears the screaming first, through the hull, and the void of space, for effect.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

evilmiera posted:

It's an easy way to represent that Somtaaw has been strengthened and is a political force mostly because a ton of people whose old Kiiths died on Kharak are now members of Somtaaw.

Also, now that we've gotten a look at the Acolyte, let's talk about it compared to the Interceptor. The Acolyte is slightly slower, although it accelerates faster, but has nearly 50% more health (220 versus 160) and marginally more damage (the Interceptor does 7 damage per shot and fires every .18 seconds, the Acolyte has 2 7 damage/shot guns that fire once every .3 seconds each). Furthermore, as noted, the Acolyte has 2 missile launchers. Each missile does *400* damage, which means that two Acolytes can one-shot a heavy corvette in an opening alpha strike, and a full wing of Acolytes can instantaneously erase a frigate from a map or cripple a destroyer, basically turning them into the Somtaaw replacement to attack bombers. Unfortunately it costs about 50% more (75 RUs to 55 RUs) to gain these abilities.

The Acolyte is basically a interceptor/bomber/light corvette and it's pretty great.

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 5, 2015

Carnafex
Sep 6, 2006
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Oh man I'm so glad you're doing this one, its by far my fav homeworld game in the series.

I think other people have touched on it already, but someone once summed this game up like this: HW was a story on a galactic scale, this one is an individual story about you and your fleet, it feels so much more important to me for that.

And to you haters on the voice acting: voice actors nail it here hands down :colbert:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I don't know, the new fleet command/intelligence sound a little less serious.

Yeah, the CUT US LOOSE part is great. The closest thing to horror I've seen in a strategy game. At the end they even sound like it's less "dump us, save yourselves" and more "set us free".

I generally like the bumper car aesthetic of the Acolyte, though the name is strange for a mainly industrial (versus religious) clan.

So, lore aside, the Mimic is GLA bomb truck IN SPACE?. One thing that's a pity is that Homeworld didn't incentivize the use of probes more. It's such a sci-fi thing to do, sending probes somewhere.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

JamieTheD posted:

The writing team is Martin Cirulis (Mecron) and Arinn Dembo.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

JcDent posted:

though the name is strange for a mainly industrial (versus religious) clan.

Somtaaw was a highly religious clan on Kharak, before becoming miners. The mining thing was actually a side effect of being a largely neutral party in the middle of a huge war, as I remember it, as they could no longer fund themselves via religious tourism to their many temples, and had no real means of protecting themselves, so when they found high-quality iron ore in one of their valleys, they instantly started trading good steel to the mercenary clan(Soban, if I remember right) in exchange for a thousand-year protection contract.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

MJ12 posted:

The Acolyte is basically a interceptor/bomber/light corvette and it's pretty great.

I love that the engineers improved on it by just saying "gently caress it, bolt some big rear end missiles to it."

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

JcDent posted:

I generally like the bumper car aesthetic of the Acolyte, though the name is strange for a mainly industrial (versus religious) clan.

Read the Manual! Seriously! It's explained in there! I even linked it the OP for this purpose!

Abridged History of Kiith Somtaaw.

They were a Religious Kiith (All Kiith on Kharak were one of three super-types: Workers, Soldiers and Priests) who held control over a series of temples that went from the Desert to the highest known peak of Hiigara. People would make pilgrimages through, one of the stations of which was "Kuun-Lan" or "The Purifying Flame". Anyways, during some wars, their homes were cut off from the outside world, and they held an excellent defensive position to keep the marauders out. However, this isolation was bad for the Kiith, and after a couple centuries of this, one of the Kiith-sa had a dream about Saajuk that led her to order dig sites in a remote valley they controlled.

What they found was Kharak's greatest source of iron, less than 6 feet down. Naturally, this was cause for concern given that there were still wars going on. (Imagine playing Civ 5 and having the only source of Iron on the map.) Refocusing on this new resource, they contracted Kiith Sobaan mercenaries for protection - a hundred year contract no less! The entire Kiith changed focus from Religion to Mining as this was the way they were shown by Saajuk.

This source of Iron carried them into the 'modern' era of Kharak, and Somtaaw were a small, but great Kiith who performed primary resource operations for the Mothership, and operated the Collectors during the Homeworld War.

I'm serious. READ THE MANUAL. It's awsome.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

berryjon posted:

I'm serious. READ THE MANUAL. It's awsome.

I cannot agree more, BUT! There are... rather sizeable spoilers in the unit descriptions, in the sense that they go into detail on all ships in the game regardless of when they're introduced in the plot. Like, things relating to that red stuff that ate half the ship. So, maybe don't read those parts yet? The stuff before that is safe, but don't read the profile of any ship you haven't seen in game if you care about spoilers.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
There's no spoilers in the history and the events of the Hiigaran landfall as far as I can recall.

Plus it adds to the exchange between Fleet Command and the Somtaaw Kiith-sa about what to do with the derelict and why the Kiith-sa want to get whatever secrets they can from it by themselves.
Kiith Nabaal really likes snapping up smaller Kiith to bolster their numbers and tried to do so with Somtaaw but Paktu and Soban helped back up Somtaaw in staying independent and getting them Mothership time to build their three big ships.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

EponymousMrYar posted:

Kiith Nabaal really likes snapping up smaller Kiith to bolster their numbers and tried to do so with Somtaaw but Paktu and Soban helped back up Somtaaw in staying independent and getting them Mothership time to build their three big ships.

I've always liked the idea that Soban were just continuing to honor that hundred year contract mentioned above.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Polaron posted:

I've always liked the idea that Soban were just continuing to honor that hundred year contract mentioned above.

It's written as pretty much exactly that, actually.

quote:

Kiith Soban honoured its ancient ties to Somtaaw and opposed Nabaal's power-hungry crusade, and so did the Paktu, a kiith inclined to support Somtaaw both out of historical sympathy with the underdog and respect for the rising confederation of Somtaaw with other weakened Kiithid.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I get the sense that the manual exists, similar to in Homeworld 1, to make you feel like you're playing as a well-realized people that you give a drat about. Mission 3 wouldn't have punched as hard without knowing what was lost in HW1, and here, knowing the Somtaaw makes you like the dependable little buggers. To clarify, I mean that I don't think the intrigue and stuff is being ignored so much as it's setup to make the setting more fully realized and to explain why the Somtaaw were so eager to get the Box.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I get the sense that the manual exists, similar to in Homeworld 1, to make you feel like you're playing as a well-realized people that you give a drat about. Mission 3 wouldn't have punched as hard without knowing what was lost in HW1, and here, knowing the Somtaaw makes you like the dependable little buggers. To clarify, I mean that I don't think the intrigue and stuff is being ignored so much as it's setup to make the setting more fully realized and to explain why the Somtaaw were so eager to get the Box.

It's almost like they have motivation and history!

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

berryjon posted:

A quality that is almost non-existent in games these days!

I miss good world-building manuals. :sigh:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I miss good world-building period.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

One bit of worldbuilding that actually caused me to laugh like a moron when I first read it is regarding the Recon fighter.

quote:

"As a result of the fact that most recon patrols require spending long periods of time in a small cockpit, many Seeker pilots are young, single women of smaller stature. This has led to deep recon missions being referred to as 'Heartbreak Patrols'... but whether this is to do with the stress they put on fledgeling relationships, or the disruptions caused by the pilots making up for lost time upon their return is not known."

It's a stupid paragraph, and in any other game it would probably have been cut, but it adds a touch of reality to the situation, especially if you've spent a significant time away from a loved one.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

berryjon posted:

Oh, yes. I meant that in response to the person who felt it was all 'thrown away' for the main plot. It's not! It's there to make you give a drat in the first place.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe
Berryjon, the video links on page 3 of the thread aren't working for me. They point to a different (removed?) video than the link in the thread OP, which does work.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

propatriamori posted:

Berryjon, the video links on page 3 of the thread aren't working for me. They point to a different (removed?) video than the link in the thread OP, which does work.

Fixed!

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Koorisch posted:

A quality that is almost non-existent in games these days!

I miss good world-building manuals. :sigh:

When I first bought Homeworld I spent a long time in the car on the ride home reading the big manual, poring over the history of the Kiith and just drinking in the backstory. I did the same thing with the Cataclysm manual when my folks bought that, too. When I bought Homeworld 2, however, I was distressed to see the big world-building manual replaced with the more common CD case-sized manual that barely had any mention of the story and focused entirely on the gameplay. That was only the beginning of my disappointments and frustrations.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

MJ12 posted:

Note that the Acolyte is a design that the Somtaaw don't fully understand, because it is a Bentusi-gifted technology (as were the high-efficiency fighter drives) so the linking technology may be the Somtaaw figuring out how to improvise new features according to what the Acolyte chassis can do but they haven't worked with yet. Keep this in mind for a bit. Also, on the things early in the game (or in the manual) you should keep in mind, keep in mind how the Kuun-Lan introduces itself in Mission 1. That also has a great payoff later.

Yeah, the Acolyte was given to the Somtaaw by the Bentusi for their help in dangerous mining operations, where even Bentusi mining drones don't work.

It is mentioned in the manual that since Somtaaw went out into space, they've been building a lot of ties with the Bentusi. The Kuun-Lan and the Faal-Corum probably spend most of their time either mining independently or asking the Bentusi for contracts, if they managed to earn enough goodwill with the Exchange to be given the Acolyte.

That or the man responsible for that contract was a really, really shrewd business man.

On the other hand, I can imagine the Bentusi's point of view.

---

"Hmm? Oh, the Somtaaw Exiles. Following us like eager little puppies again, we see? Tell you what, help us with this mining operation and we'll give you a treat. Remember to be careful, little ones."

Delta Green fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 5, 2015

Zudrag
Oct 7, 2009

JamieTheD posted:

One thing really makes me sad about this game: The writing is, as mentioned, solid, a little by the numbers, but definitely solid. I'm surprised you didn't mention this, but... The writing team is Martin Cirulis (Mecron) and Arinn Dembo. Graem Castell (voice) is also a familiar name for some reason, but it claims he's only ever worked on Homeworld: Cataclysm.

Still... That's a lot of crew we just lost. A lot of crew.

I was surprised to learn after the trainwreck of "Artistic vision" that was SOTS2 that Mecron was involved with HW:C. Was he the lead writer? Do you know if any of the other big wigs from Kerberos worked on HW:C?

JcDent posted:

Yeah, the CUT US LOOSE part is great. The closest thing to horror I've seen in a strategy game.

That bit gave me nightmares when I was younger playing through this game.

Also as a side note to Berryjon: Video looks better, but the sound seems like it's too loud when it's being recorded and it's peaking on bits like some of the music and the cutscene dialogue. It might just be on my end or the result of the game itself, but I noticed it in HW too during cutscenes primarily.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Zudrag posted:

Also as a side note to Berryjon: Video looks better, but the sound seems like it's too loud when it's being recorded and it's peaking on bits like some of the music and the cutscene dialogue. It might just be on my end or the result of the game itself, but I noticed it in HW too during cutscenes primarily.

IIRC he's already recorded a bunch of Cataclysm videos, at least through mission 6 or so, so it'll be awhile before we see the changes.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Zudrag posted:

I was surprised to learn after the trainwreck of "Artistic vision" that was SOTS2 that Mecron was involved with HW:C. Was he the lead writer? Do you know if any of the other big wigs from Kerberos worked on HW:C?

Marcus Skyler. :v:

e: Seriously, though, Arinn Dembo worked on Homeworld (and HW:C), Ground Control, and frikkin Arcanum before moving on to SotS.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

my dad posted:

Marcus Skyler. :v:

e: Seriously, though, Arinn Dembo worked on Homeworld (and HW:C), Ground Control, and frikkin Arcanum before moving on to SotS.

That's crazy. Did their talents just atrophy over the years or were they coralled into positions and creative avenues where they were left to languish?

Wait, isn't Dembo the woman who writes erotic Liir fiction?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

murphyslaw posted:

That's crazy. Did their talents just atrophy over the years or were they coralled into positions and creative avenues where they were left to languish?

Wait, isn't Dembo the woman who writes erotic Liir fiction?

No, we did. Also Liir/Tarka Changed Male fiction. Because it was funny. She writes "Liir Are Perfect" fiction though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I imagine they kept the under close surveillance while working on HWC. Possibly in pens. Definitely not in positions where they'd get to decide poo poo.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

I did not want to know that. :stonkhat:

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I imagine they kept the under close surveillance while working on HWC. Possibly in pens. Definitely not in positions where they'd get to decide poo poo.

It's possible. The other possibility is that their insanity merely progressed as time went on.

Where they were sane and able during Cataclysm, illness had set in during SOTS I and had developed into full grown insanity and madness at the time of SOTSII.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Delta Green posted:

It's possible. The other possibility is that their insanity merely progressed as time went on.
Where they were sane and able during Cataclysm, illness had set in during SOTS I and had developed into full grown insanity and madness at the time of SOTSII.

Or mercon being the head of a project should have never been a thing, seems like everyone that was competent got fed up with his poo poo and quit and now the only people that are left is his circle jerk crew.
Dolphins INNN SPAAACCCCEEE, Is a GREAT idea!
How the gently caress is that company not bankrupt?
For people who missed out: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521006&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

HW talk: Kind of annoying on mission one that you can't salvage all those chumps that show up, then the next mission there is the "O we figured out how to salvage again":rolleyes:

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Crash74 posted:

HW talk: Kind of annoying on mission one that you can't salvage all those chumps that show up, then the next mission there is the "O we figured out how to salvage again":rolleyes:
Looks like they were just as annoyed as you. :v:

• Locked thread