Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Try to remember that the Air Force sometimes manages to find a bit of that old school cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OWD50S_aYc

Try not to think about the other stuff. It makes it easier.

DO NON FUTIUS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Slippery will come back when he retires after he realizes he'll never make O6 because no one promotes maintenance officers or whatever it is he did that wasn't flying

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Someone was paying attention in EO training.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

smertrioslol posted:

Slippery will come back when he retires after he realizes he'll never make O6 because no one promotes maintenance officers or whatever it is he did that wasn't flying

Obama Africanus posted:

I'd join back in as an officer in a heart beat if there were a way. Or enlisted if I started no lower than E-5.

I give no fucks what AFSC either. I guarantee my next 4-6 years would own like a mother compared to yours if I could only do it all over again with the knowledge I have today.

:3:

poo poo if any of you retards really is thinking about joining I feel like we need our yearly break talk session on so's and donts for having agoid USAF time,

I believe current AD sentiment is don't join. I can cheer lead for team blue for some fields and situations though.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

I'm tired of dealing with political E7s. I still have a good time because I'm always drunk though. Korea is the best.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

smertrioslol posted:

Nah, you can make O6 relatively easily as a mx officer, it's the only career field that literally has an entire Group devoted to it in every flying wing...even with flyers the OG can still theoretically split between pilots/CSOs/ABMs depending on the base/wing (key word theoretically).

Of course going beyond O6 the rates decline significantly relative to other career fields and even to make O6 you still have to suck a colossal amount of dick...but out of all the non-ops/support officer career fields it's probably "easiest" to make O6 as a mx o.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Seems like a bit of a stretch to say "relatively easy" when we're talking about one slot per flying wing. I've never seen a deputy that was an O-6.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey, so is there a trick to aiming steady on the double-action 9mm shots on the shooting tests? The force required on the trigger pull always screws up my aim.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I don't know of anything really game-changing...just make sure you're using the pad of your finger, not the joint. If you've got the trigger on the inside of the joint it's easier to pull to the side without realizing (if you're shooting right handed, it'll pull to the right). Pull the trigger slowly...as they say, it should surprise you when it goes off. A slow trigger pull stops you from making jerky motions (usually to the right again, or maybe up/down). You've got plenty of time, so don't sweat the clock.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Seems like a bit of a stretch to say "relatively easy" when we're talking about one slot per flying wing. I've never seen a deputy that was an O-6.

Compared to every other support career field where it's basically one slot per flying wing for all of the career fields put together plus a couple ancillary jobs here and there (career field specific staff jobs or relatively unique stuff like LRG/CEG/SFGs/etc) plus some joint billets.

The MXG/CC is only ever going to be a 21A/21M, the MSG/CC is going to be a (pick a non-mx/non-medical support officer AFSC). Like I said it's way relative compared to zippersuits, I was just saying that in response to smertrioslol's post.

TheOtherGypsy
Apr 6, 2004

Dominoes posted:

Hey, so is there a trick to aiming steady on the double-action 9mm shots on the shooting tests? The force required on the trigger pull always screws up my aim.

You're aircrew. Each bullet hole counts as three.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Just discretely pull the hammer back when drawing the pistol and fire that first round off single-action.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

pkells posted:

Just discretely pull the hammer back when drawing the pistol and fire that first round off single-action.
Might be worth a go. The amount of plausible deniability when caught depends on how heavily they emphasize not to do it beforehand, and if you've been caught already.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 4, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Jesus, it's not that hard. Don't cheat on your qual.

Dominoes posted:

The best advice is to find someone (or a nearby rental range) with a Beretta and blow through a few boxes of ammo the week before instead of going in cold.

The M9 double action is spectacularly lovely and the trigger stages hard when it's engaging the firing pin block. The thing to remember is that you're shooting for accuracy, not combat shooting. Start with your grip. Travis Haley talks about handgun grip. That technique will give you a solid grip. With the M9, I like to index my left thumb on the flat of the takedown lever, and when shooting for accuracy I relax the grip of my right pinky so that tension in my hand doesn't dip the muzzle. Inhale as you acquire sight picture, and exhale half way. Focus on the target, and center the front sight post on the chest or head. Now, focus on the front sight. The most important part: focus on keeping the front sight centered in the fuzzy notch of the rear all the way through the trigger pull, including follow-through. You can try letting the trigger out all the way on the single action shots so the motion is more consistent.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Dominoes posted:

The CATM guys generally wait until you've completed the qualification test before they grade you. One of my CATM buddies recommends aiming for the head with every shot when you're firing at the nearest target, and then aiming at the center of mass at the farthest target. Also, don't rush the shot. As Godholio said, squeeze the trigger slowly and let the shot surprise you.

I'd never touched a pistol in my life until I qualified on the M9, and it wasn't particularly difficult. Especially since we didn't need to do crazy trick shots like firing an M16 with the old MCU-2 gas mask.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Double action never bothered me. Gotten marksman each time, and I've never touched a pistol outside of CATM. Just go with what everyone else has said about pad of the finger, and surprise yourself when it fires.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kandak Sayaqa posted:

As Godholio said, squeeze the trigger slowly and let the shot surprise you.

Don't do what I did and interpret this advice as "take 10+ seconds to fire as you ever so gingerly squeeze the trigger"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:lol:

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thanks for the advice. This one wasn't timed, which made it a lot easier - I squeezed the trigger super slow, and made sure to correct whenever the pull jerked it. Skipped the headshots, and shot 44/45 on paper, with 40 in the chest.

Goatschach
Dec 25, 2006

Who watches the goatman?
Next time just bring your own rounds/mags to top off that score a bit

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Signed up for TAPS. But before that I had to sign up for a pre-sep briefing. And between those there's another bullshit thing I have to go to. Sign a piece of paper to stay in, but to get out it's bullshit on more bullshit.

Goatschach
Dec 25, 2006

Who watches the goatman?

A Kpro posted:

Signed up for TAPS. But before that I had to sign up for a pre-sep briefing. And between those there's another bullshit thing I have to go to. Sign a piece of paper to stay in, but to get out it's bullshit on more bullshit.

Is it the informed decision brief? Honestly TAPS was pretty nice, and if you are doing something like going to school when you get out and have your acceptance letter you can bypass it after the first two days.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I asked about that because I already went to the informed decision briefing. Turns out the Pre-sep brief is different. The other other briefing is the track class or something? It all sounded like a waste of time.

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.
Eh, I'd rather sit in a classroom doing nothing productive if it got me out of work for a week. I'm getting paid the same regardless.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

CaptainStag posted:

Eh, I'd rather sit in a classroom doing nothing productive if it got me out of work for a week. I'm getting paid the same regardless.

As long as you can nod off without someone telling you to stand up

Mister Man
Nov 22, 2006

IWHBYD...
My base upgraded the teal ropes to teal tshirts 2 times a week. Fly, Fight, And Rape.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Teal ropes are still a real thing that is really happening like right now? gently caress

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Does anyone know about refusing on base lodging under the new JFTR? I'm being told that I can refuse on base lodging, stay off base, and get full reimbursement on my voucher up to the on base lodging rate. It seems a little too good to be true.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Dead Reckoning posted:

Does anyone know about refusing on base lodging under the new JFTR? I'm being told that I can refuse on base lodging, stay off base, and get full reimbursement on my voucher up to the on base lodging rate. It seems a little too good to be true.

Are quarters available and also directed on your orders?

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Dead Reckoning posted:

You could do that under the old JFTR too. Basically, you're authorized the on-base rate no matter what. If you can produce a non-A, then you're authorized up to the full rate. But there is absolutely nothing forcing you to stay on base. Wish I had a reg reference, but I see guys do it at Altus/Randolph all the time with off-base crashpads.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I think the sticking point is the "get full rate without a non-A letter" which I don't think is gonna happen.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Nah, I found a local place that will match the on-base rate. The sticking point is that government quarters are available, and I don't want to get stuck with a bill because I turned down government quarters.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Just sort of a random feeler - if anybody works in medical, I'd be curious to talk to them. I was a 6 year Navy HM before I got out, and I'm considering taking money from the military for medical school. I'd be curious to talk to some AF medical people about the options/differences, since I only have experience with Navy stuff. I'm pretty sure I have PMs.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Dead Reckoning posted:

Nah, I found a local place that will match the on-base rate. The sticking point is that government quarters are available, and I don't want to get stuck with a bill because I turned down government quarters.

You shouldn't get stuck with it. Like I said, it's allowed, but if your DTS approving official gives you poo poo for it, you should have the reference in the JFTR ready. I'm 100% positive it's in there! but I'm personally too lazy to look for you.

Also, for any aircrew or pilots in the house, I'm wondering if anyone has a good guide or reference about airborne weather radars. I'm thinking I want to teach people about how to get better at detecting, recognizing, and mitigating storms while in flight following the AirAsia crash.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Per the JTR para 2560 para D:

"A member who uses other lodgings as a personal choice when adequate Govt Quarters use is directed on that U.S. installation and are available on that U.S. installation, is limited to the Govt Quarters lodging reimbursement cost on the U.S. installation to which assigned TDY."

So yeah, you can head off base without a non-a, you're just only going to get reimbursed for the on-base rate (which sounds like it isn't an issue.)

Also for Rek, try asking in the aviation thread in AI. There's also a pilot thread in A/T that might be worth asking in.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
^^^ thanks dude, I couldn't get on to ePublishing

Rekinom posted:

Also, for any aircrew or pilots in the house, I'm wondering if anyone has a good guide or reference about airborne weather radars. I'm thinking I want to teach people about how to get better at detecting, recognizing, and mitigating storms while in flight following the AirAsia crash.
Radar scope interpretation is more art than science. Modern radars are low powered compared to their predecessors, because the receivers and signal proccesors are much more sensitive. As a result, the system is partially dependent on the computer deciding how to display returns. The most important skill is learning how to distinguish terrain from weather returns on your equipment. For example, I know that the WXR-700 tends to paint terrain features as irregular bands with ragged and broken edges all the way around, while storms tend to have at least one smooth edge, and are usually smooth all the way around. Cells or lines of storms will look like clusters or bubbles, different from the more smear-like appearence of terrain. Other aircraft appear as small, extremely intense storms. It can't paint ground returns worth a drat. Dry precipitation (such as hail and ice crystals) give a less intense return than water droplets, so winter storms may appear less intense than tropical. A key skill is being able to "break out" weather returns from terrain near the horizon and mountains. This involves careful management of the gain and sweep, usually by slowly raising the sweep to eliminate the ground clutter. Collins actually publishes a pilot's guide for the WXR-700, so getting a hold of that and the radar use section of your 3-3 would probably be a good start.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 11, 2015

TheOtherGypsy
Apr 6, 2004

Rekinom posted:

There's a technique in the 3-3. Something along the lines of tilting the radar all the way and then bringing it back up until the outer third is ground clutter.

I've flown with dudes that treat yellow returns as a cell, which I guess lets them be more conservative with the 20 miles.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Put the radar in A/G mode, point it up, and don't fly into the bright areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

quote:

Can I get a copy of your OPR bullet?

If you'll excuse the mid 90s layout, this guy publishes a new edition every month. It's pretty short this round:

http://www.radar4pilots.com/

An old sim guy showed it to me, great reference, easy to understand and useful. Had a really good one on lightning strikes on the airfield a while ago and why lightning within 5 restrictions exist.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 12, 2015

• Locked thread