Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Sasgrillo posted:

The other was 2A6, Air Craft Fuels.

They're all crammed into the same base, and don't get the state tuition waiver.

If it makes any difference the base is McGuire.

There are 1nx jobs at McGuire. Don't go any lower than a 1nx if picking AFSC's. Shoot for 1ax. Trust me. Unless you get/want active duty 9s as a job.

There are no good enlisted AFSC's that don't start with a 1 or 9.

Simply aim for a lower number/letter with afscs or go for broke in the 9's.

Legit good advice. Sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I would add here that what you're seeing are the jobs they're advertising right now. If you set up an informational interview ( basically saying, "I am interested in joining your unit and would like to talk to someone working there to get more information") and make a good impression, they may tell you that they will be advertising for a boom operator next quarter. Applying to the Guard is much more like getting into a local mom & pop business or rushing a frat than joining the USAF.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Guard POL shops are about as chill as you can get. Active duty isn't bad, but I'm not sure I would recommend it for anything other than four years to get benefits. Just passed my six year milestone and all I do is get drunk with my leadership and pretend to be working on additionally duties while playing my vita or something else at work.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Aircraft maintenance is a poo poo career field so any 2a will suck but the farther away you are from the flight line the less poo poo it is. So stay away from the flight line.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Obama Africanus posted:

There are 1nx jobs at McGuire. Don't go any lower than a 1nx if picking AFSC's. Shoot for 1ax. Trust me. Unless you get/want active duty 9s as a job.

There are no good enlisted AFSC's that don't start with a 1 or 9.

Simply aim for a lower number/letter with afscs or go for broke in the 9's.

Legit good advice. Sadly.

Listen to Shim. He is wise and correct.

If you are seriously looking at a Reserve 1N position, let me know.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Medical can be very chill in the Guard. 4A if you want to file records, 4N if you want to take vital signs and give vaccines.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Derek Dominoe posted:

Medical can be very chill in the Guard. 4A if you want to file records, 4N if you want to take vital signs and give vaccines.

The AFSC really stands for Air Force Specialty Caste, for enlisteds, and my lower number/letter rule of thumb works BEAUTIFULLY if you look at how the AFSC's are laid out.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Aircrew is generally pretty sweet. I was just pointing out that ANG enlisted medics generally have it pretty good, but it violates your 1 or 9 rule.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014
besides the funny name, i truly thought loadmaster would be one of the coolest jobs

until i saw that scary rear end video from afghanistan D: D: D: D: D:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Obama Africanus posted:

The AFSC really stands for Air Force Specialty Caste, for enlisteds, and my lower number/letter rule of thumb works BEAUTIFULLY if you look at how the AFSC's are laid out.

Except all the mx and logistics gigs are 2-whatever, and with a couple of very isolated exceptions that entire career field is a cesspool compared to a significant portion of the 3-whatever AFSCs (not to mention 4-whatever medical).

Also yeah Sasgrillo I was just running you through the jobs that are currently listed as being available. If you have some flexibility/don't mind waiting for a slot to open then definitely hold out for 1-something job, preferably aircrew.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

Except all the mx and logistics gigs are 2-whatever, and with a couple of very isolated exceptions that entire career field is a cesspool compared to a significant portion of the 3-whatever AFSCs (not to mention 4-whatever medical).
That said, I would make every single Services airman form human barriers at the gate if I thought it would save the life of one seven level maintainer or loggie.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

That said, I would make every single Services airman form human barriers at the gate if I thought it would save the life of one seven level maintainer or loggie.

Well I was just talking about relative quality of life for individuals in the jobs in question, not their contribution to the mission. When you look at it that way Shim's rank-order makes a lot of sense.

Also just wanted to remind all you enlisted scum that a dog outranks you.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm pretty sure that it's only since the 70's that we had to start treating enlisted better than pets.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
We could replace 9 out of every 10 general officers with dogs without making things worse.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
New 2015 MRE menus: Alpo, Fancy Feast

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Wild T posted:

I was TDY with a Chaplain's Assistant a few months ago. The dude got drunk and chased snapper every night and would always tell stories about how stupid, entitled, pretty or flat-out insane various chaplains are. Based on this sample size I've determined that Chaplain's Assistants are pretty cool.

Edit: The actual job is about 50/50 managing the schedule for a bunch of holy men who don't want to come to work and setting up for various worships or events.

if i was forced to reenlist my first choice would be chaplains assistant

p. much the most chill job possible

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

justice4trayvawn posted:

besides the funny name, i truly thought loadmaster would be one of the coolest jobs

until i saw that scary rear end video from afghanistan D: D: D: D: D:

Everyone I know who's a loadmaster (read: 3 dudes) is a huge douche. In two of the cases they were fine before and seemed to become a douche after becoming a loadmaster and now all they do is post loadmaster memes and say poo poo like AIRCREW COMIN THROUGH on Facebook.

So the real question is are you a douche and if not how do you feel about becoming one?

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
Find the most obscure job that no one thinks about and then chill for four years. Chaplain assistants probably just spew out reported/unreported briefings by reflex every once in a while and then make snack tables at the chapel. pro job

Do services people work at base kennels? I would explode if my job in the military was to literally play with dogs during the day.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rough Lobster posted:

Everyone I know who's a loadmaster (read: 3 dudes) is a huge douche. In two of the cases they were fine before and seemed to become a douche after becoming a loadmaster and now all they do is post loadmaster memes and say poo poo like AIRCREW COMIN THROUGH on Facebook.

So the real question is are you a douche and if not how do you feel about becoming one?

Also if you enjoy replying to any insult by saying "nonner." Aircrew thinks that literally every other job in the air force exists to get their dumb asses into the air.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
i figured this would be relevant at this time

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Aircrew types seem to really buy into all that stupid Chive poo poo.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014
Chive on bros

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Aircrew thinks that literally every other job in the air force exists to get their dumb asses into the air.

Well...

Actually, I guess there's PJs. Or do they count as aircrew?

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
You are forgetting our Space warriors who exist to masturbate together in underground vaults and our eminent Cyberwarriors who exist to make the rest of us feel better about ourselves a la the village idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF-CkMpQtlY

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Godholio posted:

Well...

Actually, I guess there's PJs. Or do they count as aircrew?

I've never done anything in my career that helps a plane get into the air. In fact, them being in the air is what enables some of the missions that I support. So they are the scrubs.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Aircrew thinks that literally every other job in the air force exists to get their dumb asses into the air.
Support functions act like the Air Force is a financial/medical services/telecommunications/real estate company that happens to wear funny clothes and launch airplanes and satellites from time to time.

I talk a lot of poo poo about the Marines, but I've never once heard one say, "Oh, that's not my job. I can't help you."

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 19, 2015

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
What a hosed up organization. This warrior airman is actually offended at the suggestion that he might be somehow affiliated with getting airplanes into the air to do airplane stuff.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

What a hosed up organization. This warrior airman is actually offended at the suggestion that he might be somehow affiliated with getting airplanes into the air to do airplane stuff.

Because, all fluffing aside, not everyone in uniform is a loving hero or a warrior.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Godholio posted:

Because, all fluffing aside, not everyone in uniform is a loving hero or a warrior.

Please convince medical leadership of this. Not only does the "warrior" circlejerk often conflict with or directly interfere with my job, it causes dumbass leaders to forget basic LOAC.

Take, for example, the deputy commander in Kandahar who threatened me for refusing to arm up and man a fire team position during an actual threat. He thought that since I was issued an M9 like every other doctor, I had transformed into a combatant. I had to appeal to the OG, who thankfully knew that doctors and chaplains aren't "warriors".

Never mind the stupidity it takes to send your only physician to the front line to shoot a rifle when you expect casualties.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Godholio posted:

I thought that 'warrior airmen' was so tongue in cheek that nobody could miss it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

No, that was a legit attempt at making people feel more important.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A bunch of dumb idiots realized they didn't join the army or the marines so they wanted to ruin the only good branch.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Derek Dominoe posted:

Please convince medical leadership of this. Not only does the "warrior" circlejerk often conflict with or directly interfere with my job, it causes dumbass leaders to forget basic LOAC.

Take, for example, the deputy commander in Kandahar who threatened me for refusing to arm up and man a fire team position during an actual threat. He thought that since I was issued an M9 like every other doctor, I had transformed into a combatant. I had to appeal to the OG, who thankfully knew that doctors and chaplains aren't "warriors".

Never mind the stupidity it takes to send your only physician to the front line to shoot a rifle when you expect casualties.

lol

That checks for 451st leadership

that place was is such a bastion of stupidity...everything I've heard indicates it's only marginally gotten better since the Wing went away.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
relevant: http://www.jqpublic-blog.com/service-culture-youre-wrong/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't say I feel bad about aircrew expecting me to work for them when my whole job (in AMC) is to help them. That said it's not my job to do a lot of stupid poo poo that I do anyway.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
real talk, although I poo poo on the af a lot, I do have my decision to join the military to thank for largely elevating me away from the typical millennial life experience of the last decade. People talk about strange things like "student debt", "can't afford a house", "can't save up for retirement", "can't start families". There's been times when it sucked, but the vast majority of the bad times have been rather benign, and the good times have been really good. I've seen the world (mostly the good parts), I've learned skills and acquired the requisite experience for an industry that's catching on fire that also has an absurdly high barrier to entry. poo poo, I've even learned a new language...sort of. I've never feared for my life, physical, or mental health, not once. I still have a GI Bill that I can pass onto my kids, but they won't need it because they're guaranteed a free ride to the ivy of their choice, thanks to affirmative action. Oh and I'm getting a free (albeit useless) master's degree.

*~officer life lol~*

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
you an O4 yet? i probably wouldn't have made it lol

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Nah, I figure it's a coin flip at this point. the only thing I have going for me is that sooo many people in my year group got out that it's going to be like 95%.

So the coin flip is whether I'm in the 0-5% or the 6-10%.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Cojawfee posted:

A bunch of dumb idiots dumb generals realized they didn't were too scared to join the army or the marines so they wanted to ruin the only good branch but later got upset that their warrior penis looked small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Found out one of my coworkers got suckered into going to one of those World Wide Dream Night dinner things. I thought it seemed kinda weird that he would be paying $70 for a hotel dinner, it didn't take long to uncover the bullshit behind it all. Even after finding out about the BS he's still going, but I think it's more to look out for his friend who seemed really caught up in the scam.

• Locked thread