Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
This thread is really for anyone who can pass on their own tips and special techniques for helping a loved one reach a positive turning point in their eating disorder.

I started seeing a girl recently and when we slept together for the first time I noticed she was very thin, with prominent hipbones and a xylophone-style spine. She is a vegetarian (no meat or fish) and the morning after, painstakingly made me a breakfast smoothie that must have had at most 75 calories in.

I understand that anorexia is the world's deadliest mental illnesses, with roughly 20% of patients sadly succumbing to it. Call me an old softie but I'd like to do what I can to help stop or at least delay that. I accept that the will to change must come from the sufferer but as I'm eight years older and going out with this girl, perhaps my chances of influencing her are better. Another factor is she is an aspiring actor. I don't know if being really thin holds you back there though. She is also about to start working in a new industry so things may be in flux at the moment. I don't want to rush in but equally feel it's never too early to prepare.

I'd like to support her to gain weight. I've not mentioned her problem (in fact I've been showering her with compliments) but I would like to intervene once I've gained her trust. I've gone out with sub-100lb (40-45 kg) girls who lived on coffee and yoghurt, but this seems more serious.

I found http://eating-disorders.org.uk/information/treatment-of-anorexia-for-carers/ quite useful, and was particularly struck by this phrase: We no longer think it is important for someone to admit that they have Anorexia because recovery depends on doing other things such as building self confidence and helping someone to fight their deep fears of food.

Please share your positive experiences below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Im afraid I cant take you seriously, OP

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I too have a slim girlfriend OP :highfive:.

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness
How tall/thin are we talking, OP?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
She's about 5'5" but I haven't yet thought of a sensitive way to broach the subject of her weight. My impression though is that, under the right conditions, her ribcage could act as an aeolian harp.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Living every man's dream of dating a white girl with a thigh gap, please help goons.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

What other instruments do parts of her body look like OP?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Sorry if it came across that way. I thought there would be a few people on here who had loved ones in the same boat and could advise. I'm sure there are similarities in the treatment of under- and overeating so if you have ex peer once of that instead go ahead and let me hear your ideas.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Skutter posted:

What other instruments do parts of her body look like OP?

I suppose in toto shes a little like a violin, with a slim neck, painfully defined waist but with small sensitive pink nipples instead of the looping characters printed (embossed?) on the top half of some violins.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof
Start putting peanut butter on your crank

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Has the topic actually ever come up between you two? She could very well just be really, really thin. However, if you want to approach the topic carefully, maybe you could make her a meal sometime and if you still feel worried about her eating pattern, ask if she's okay. Avoid any kind of accusatory statements like "you never eat!" "You must be anorexic!" Etc. She might be very self conscious about her body and get defensive, so approach the topic from a very understanding point of you and don't press it.
Unfortunately, eating disorders are about more than just food. You wanting to support her weight gain is likely not going to be ballpark enough. If she is anorexic, chances are she has some issues that tied to, could be control issues, tied to trauma, self esteem/worth....There is so much it could compromise. I suggest above all you act as a sympathetic ear and be patient and understanding, you can't help someone who isn't ready for it or doesn't want it.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You say you're dating, but it sounds really new. Do you know anything about her medical history? She could have problems that make weight gain hard. Some people are really thin, and that's just that.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
The bigger problem is you are already thinking about fixing someone you just met. Wait until you know each other a little better before you try to do or say anything.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Maybe she's just old fashioned, and waiting for you to invite her to dinner.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Toriori posted:

Has the topic actually ever come up between you two? She could very well just be really, really thin. However, if you want to approach the topic carefully, maybe you could make her a meal sometime and if you still feel worried about her eating pattern, ask if she's okay. Avoid any kind of accusatory statements like "you never eat!" "You must be anorexic!" Etc. She might be very self conscious about her body and get defensive, so approach the topic from a very understanding point of you and don't press it.
Unfortunately, eating disorders are about more than just food. You wanting to support her weight gain is likely not going to be ballpark enough. If she is anorexic, chances are she has some issues that tied to, could be control issues, tied to trauma, self esteem/worth....There is so much it could compromise. I suggest above all you act as a sympathetic ear and be patient and understanding, you can't help someone who isn't ready for it or doesn't want it.

Thanks for a very helpful post. We havent spent much time together yet so i cant say for sure there is a problem. She did put soya protein powder in the smoothie so she is aware of what she is missing out on. But attention to diet is not a red flag in itself.

Ah cool she added me on fb so I can look thru her stuff. I see a lot of upheaval in 2014... She seems to have been really thin throughout her life...She used to ballet dance...She was one of the only day girls at her school.

I suppose the best thing for me to do is model good eating behaviours, and be aware of what I'm saying, not be flip etc.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Breath Ray posted:

Thanks for a very helpful post. We havent spent much time together yet so i cant say for sure there is a problem. She did put soya protein powder in the smoothie so she is aware of what she is missing out on. But attention to diet is not a red flag in itself.

Ah cool she added me on fb so I can look thru her stuff. I see a lot of upheaval in 2014... She seems to have been really thin throughout her life...She used to ballet dance...She was one of the only day girls at her school.

I suppose the best thing for me to do is model good eating behaviours, and be aware of what I'm saying, not be flip etc.

Maybe this is just me, but this seems kinda creepy to me. I have to agree with Keyvin on this one, maybe immediately trying to fix someone that you don't even know has a problem is not the best idea? Also, a scoop of protein powder is generally like, at least 70 calories on its own, if not more, and milk or soy milk or whatever has a ton of calories. You sure that smoothie was really that low in calories? Was it like, a shot glass size or something?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Araenna posted:

Maybe this is just me, but this seems kinda creepy to me. I have to agree with Keyvin on this one, maybe immediately trying to fix someone that you don't even know has a problem is not the best idea? Also, a scoop of protein powder is generally like, at least 70 calories on its own, if not more, and milk or soy milk or whatever has a ton of calories. You sure that smoothie was really that low in calories? Was it like, a shot glass size or something?

Am i being creepy? That's a fair question. I think the reason why I'm more concerned at this early stage is that shes younger than me, so I feel more protective than I would otherwise. And also, never since we studied the liberation of Belsen have I seen such hipbones. Obviously I'm not going to roll her up in a bathmat and take her to a&e, or rub cornflour into her gums as she sleeps. I'm not looking for a diagnosis, or a molecular analysis of the green seed smoothie - just tips on how to be a loving and responsible partner to one of the skinniest people ever discovered.

Walter Reuthless
Oct 26, 2006

Problems on Purpose

Breath Ray posted:

Am i being creepy? That's a fair question. I think the reason why I'm more concerned at this early stage is that shes younger than me, so I feel more protective than I would otherwise. And also, never since we studied the liberation of Belsen have I seen such hipbones. Obviously I'm not going to roll her up in a bathmat and take her to a&e, or rub cornflour into her gums as she sleeps. I'm not looking for a diagnosis, or a molecular analysis of the green seed smoothie - just tips on how to be a loving and responsible partner to one of the skinniest people ever discovered.

Yep, it's creepy.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Breath Ray posted:

I think the reason why I'm more concerned at this early stage is that shes younger than me, so I feel more protective than I would otherwise.
That's also creepy. Sets up a weird power dynamic for the relationship. Don't date people you don't feel are your peers. How old are you guys?

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Breath Ray posted:

I suppose in toto shes a little like a violin, with a slim neck, painfully defined waist but with small sensitive pink nipples instead of the looping characters printed (embossed?) on the top half of some violins.

Instead of describing your gf's nips in painstaking detail to internet randoms, how about you sit down and (tactfully) discuss her health, with her.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
gently caress her rear end with your erect penis

say you wanna blend her smoothie with ur frozen banana

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
You should feed her whatever they eat in Brazil because god drat

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

keyvin posted:

The bigger problem is you are already thinking about fixing someone you just met. Wait until you know each other a little better before you try to do or say anything.

This, and eating disorders are among the most difficult, stubborn, soul-sucking things to deal with, if that's what her issue is.
Don't forget that she is a grown adult, and she is capable of making her own decisions, and since you two aren't married (or even if you were), you are under no obligation to play nanny to her well-being if she isn't exhibiting any symptoms of being unwell.

It sounds like her build is a point of focus for you. This may be an early sign that you two aren't compatible. Don't ever date a person wishing to change them. If you can't look past her build, you may not be a good fit.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is this like a feeder fetish thing?

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Troutful posted:

Instead of describing your gf's nips in painstaking detail to internet randoms, how about you sit down and (tactfully) discuss her health, with her.

Oh yeah, that was also pretty creepy.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sounds like she needs to get stole. Introduce her to the rigorous lifting regimen you no doubt already do every day, sexhaver.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Araenna posted:

That's also creepy. Sets up a weird power dynamic for the relationship. Don't date people you don't feel are your peers. How old are you guys?

Ha, thought this might come up. Shes 13 and im an unspecified, but adult, age.

But seriously, she's half my age plus 7, widely accepted as the best possible gap. Do I consider her a peer? Yes, plus we have more in common than I normally have with girlfriends. We've both studied and worked abroad, live in 3-person houses, and enjoy the ballet.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
You're being creepy.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

carry on then posted:

Sounds like she needs to get stole. Introduce her to the rigorous lifting regimen you no doubt already do every day, sexhaver.

Every day? I wish! More like once a week FTL. But you're right, it is fun and a good way to relieve stress...plus the control element might be just the thing to replace the calorie counting, if that turns out to be necessary.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Breath Ray posted:

widely accepted as the best possible gap
This is not the "best" gap, it's the maximum gap, you creep.

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
I wonder if bones knows she's about to be saved by a goon.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Toriori posted:

You're being creepy.

It is Breath Ray, come on.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Faustian Bargain posted:

Actually, 1/2 + 7 is definitely the best gap.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Breath Ray posted:

Every day? I wish! More like once a week FTL. But you're right, it is fun and a good way to relieve stress...plus the control element might be just the thing to replace the calorie counting, if that turns out to be necessary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergymnasia

Maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't be trying to fix someone when you don't know what you're doing? And no, really, how old are you guys? What's the actual age difference? Because no, I don't think you think of her as a peer at all. There's nothing wrong with dating someone you have more life experience than and wanting to help them out because you have knowledge or something, but you don't have knowledge here. This isn't something you've been through/had a loved one go through. You don't even know there's a problem! You're white knighting in the most patronizing way.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Faustian Bargain posted:

Thigh gap best gap haha. But anyway, sounds like I just sneak in to the uncreepy rankings - at least as far as age goes!

As it seems to have provoked a firestorm of condemnation, I can edit out the bit about seeing her naked in the op. Although it doesn't make so much sense without that imo

girlwithgloves
Jun 5, 2011

Ballet? Explains everything. That world is full of pressure for staying thin. Basic programming to be in ballet.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Replace all of the milk with heavy cream, all of the diet soda with sugar soda (pour in extra corn syrup for good measure), etc.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Araenna posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergymnasia

Maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't be trying to fix someone when you don't know what you're doing? And no, really, how old are you guys? What's the actual age difference? Because no, I don't think you think of her as a peer at all. There's nothing wrong with dating someone you have more life experience than and wanting to help them out because you have knowledge or something, but you don't have knowledge here. This isn't something you've been through/had a loved one go through. You don't even know there's a problem! You're white knighting in the most patronizing way.

Just to clarify - I'm not trying to fix anything. (Im not even sure where you got that from - did you have the wrong tab open?) Asking people to share their experienxes of having a loved one with an eating disorder is not white knighting. Right now I'm happy to be my usual swoon-worthy self, and perhaps learn a good recipe for vegetarian lasagne.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

girlwithgloves posted:

Ballet? Explains everything. That world is full of pressure for staying thin. Basic programming to be in ballet.

I know what you mean, but it is wonderful to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Breath Ray posted:

Just to clarify - I'm not trying to fix anything. (Im not even sure where you got that from - did you have the wrong tab open?) Asking people to share their experienxes of having a loved one with an eating disorder is not white knighting. Right now I'm happy to be my usual swoon-worthy self, and perhaps learn a good recipe for vegetarian lasagne.

Your entire OP was about 'helping her' :shrug:

• Locked thread