Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You say you're dating, but it sounds really new. Do you know anything about her medical history? She could have problems that make weight gain hard. Some people are really thin, and that's just that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Breath Ray posted:

Thanks for a very helpful post. We havent spent much time together yet so i cant say for sure there is a problem. She did put soya protein powder in the smoothie so she is aware of what she is missing out on. But attention to diet is not a red flag in itself.

Ah cool she added me on fb so I can look thru her stuff. I see a lot of upheaval in 2014... She seems to have been really thin throughout her life...She used to ballet dance...She was one of the only day girls at her school.

I suppose the best thing for me to do is model good eating behaviours, and be aware of what I'm saying, not be flip etc.

Maybe this is just me, but this seems kinda creepy to me. I have to agree with Keyvin on this one, maybe immediately trying to fix someone that you don't even know has a problem is not the best idea? Also, a scoop of protein powder is generally like, at least 70 calories on its own, if not more, and milk or soy milk or whatever has a ton of calories. You sure that smoothie was really that low in calories? Was it like, a shot glass size or something?

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Breath Ray posted:

I think the reason why I'm more concerned at this early stage is that shes younger than me, so I feel more protective than I would otherwise.
That's also creepy. Sets up a weird power dynamic for the relationship. Don't date people you don't feel are your peers. How old are you guys?

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Troutful posted:

Instead of describing your gf's nips in painstaking detail to internet randoms, how about you sit down and (tactfully) discuss her health, with her.

Oh yeah, that was also pretty creepy.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Breath Ray posted:

Every day? I wish! More like once a week FTL. But you're right, it is fun and a good way to relieve stress...plus the control element might be just the thing to replace the calorie counting, if that turns out to be necessary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergymnasia

Maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't be trying to fix someone when you don't know what you're doing? And no, really, how old are you guys? What's the actual age difference? Because no, I don't think you think of her as a peer at all. There's nothing wrong with dating someone you have more life experience than and wanting to help them out because you have knowledge or something, but you don't have knowledge here. This isn't something you've been through/had a loved one go through. You don't even know there's a problem! You're white knighting in the most patronizing way.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Breath Ray posted:

Just to clarify - I'm not trying to fix anything. (Im not even sure where you got that from - did you have the wrong tab open?) Asking people to share their experienxes of having a loved one with an eating disorder is not white knighting. Right now I'm happy to be my usual swoon-worthy self, and perhaps learn a good recipe for vegetarian lasagne.

Where did I get what from? The fact you're trying to fix her, which is the entire point of the thread? Or the fact you said, in the quote in my post, that maybe exercise would help her because of control, leading me to link to that wikipedia article?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Breath Ray posted:

People, people... I said I don't want to rush in but equally feel it's never too early to prepare. If she needs to gain weight I will support her. And the age gap is there too, which makes me think you are reading something else entirely.

e. I'm on my photo so can't check rap sheets, sorry :blush:

"Half my age plus seven" without telling us your age doesn't help much. Also doesn't tell us if you're in your twenties, fifties, teens, or what. It affects whether you're creepy and stupid or inexperienced and stupid.

Edit: Oh, rap sheets. I always forget about those. Yeah...

• Locked thread