Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah it takes a bit to go from raw to brown but then from brown to black it takes like 3 milliseconds.

Learned the hard way. My husband went from "looks good" to "omg noooooo" in the span of about 3 chews into his first bite. He ate frozen burritos for dinner :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

I've eaten jook for dinner, 5 nights out of the last 8 because of this thread, all with pork meatballs, cilantro, and century eggs. With soy sauce and white pepper on top. Sometimes with green onion.

I don't understand the fried shallots in jook. I tried it and it soaked up water too quickly and became hard/chewy and not nice. :\ Am I supposed to eat it right away, or do I need to get a new can of fried shallots?

I want fish porridge so badly now, but I keep forgetting to buy fish.

Munchlover
Dec 29, 2012
I'm trying this tonight, with some long sauteed mushrooms and an egg. This is exciting, I've never had this before!

Edit: Here we go
http://imgur.com/mCfCz3W
Oh my god how is something cooked to a pulp so good

Munchlover fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 12, 2015

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Packed a jook for lunch with some siopao (steamed buns filled with meat, this one was storebought).

Basic jook w ginger and fish sauce. Topped with chopped up fried chicken, scallions, and black garlic oil.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
A big sloppy bowl o' jook right here.

Cooked the rice all day in chicken stock and ginger with white pepper and fish sauce. Topped with chicken/bacon/garlic, green onion, sesame, kimchee, and an egg. A good supper.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Small breakfast jook

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dinner congee #1: green onions, lao gan ma, chinese sausage

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yes/no in congee:

Bok choy?

Bamboo?

Snow fungus?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Yes/no in congee:

Bok choy?

Bamboo?

Snow fungus?

yes

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

the answer to: "Does this go in congee?" is usually "yes."

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Congee dinner 2: random poo poo

Pork sung, snow fungus, scallions, century egg, old unhappy woman sauce

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Btw these Taiwanese century eggs suck and are not completely cured so even if they're full of arsenic and lead I'm going to buy chinese next time.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I like my cong simple, like a simple chao ga. Cooked with chicken broth, ginger, fish sauce, with shredded chicken and some aromatics to top (standard Vietnamese green onion and cilantro, maybe add some other onion and fried onion).

I often also like it brothier like this.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
I'm home sick today and had leftover rice in the fridge, so I decided to make my first congee.

With ginger, onion and chicken stock, then topped with chicken thigh, scallions, and cilantro, added fish sauce at the end. Holy crap, this is really good!

Also, I learned a little bit of white pepper goes a long way.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Had a salmon skeleton in the freezer so I made a stock out of that, then jooked with that stock, ginger and some sliced white fish. I then piled too much crap on it

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
Been watching this thread, decided to give it a try. Currently cooking some congee with saffron broth. Also roasting a pork shoulder on a bed of lemongrass and some other poo poo.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Here's the result:

Saffron broth congee
Lemongrass Pork Shoulder
65c Egg
Cilantro/Green Onion/Shallot/Ginger/Thai Chili slaw
Caramelized Fennel
Forest Mushrooms
Chili Oil (I forgot to find lao gan ma this morning)

I liked the congee, and I liked the toppings, I dont know if I actually like them together.
Tomorrow I'll make a seafood set of toppings, probably will go better with the saffron broth.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Woof! Woof! posted:

Here's the result:

Saffron broth congee
Lemongrass Pork Shoulder
65c Egg
Cilantro/Green Onion/Shallot/Ginger/Thai Chili slaw
Caramelized Fennel
Forest Mushrooms
Chili Oil (I forgot to find lao gan ma this morning)

I liked the congee, and I liked the toppings, I dont know if I actually like them together.
Tomorrow I'll make a seafood set of toppings, probably will go better with the saffron broth.

Fancy

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

There's a specific filipino cong called Goto which has a saffron broth and tripe. It owns

SnakeParty
Oct 30, 2011

jooked a jook with lotsa turmeric jook. Should have added more water, it was a chunky jook.

Put a biscuit and mushroom gravy on that jook.

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser
Ask not for whom the Jook bowls

It Congs for ee

[scallions, cilantro, angry lady, soft boiled egg, pork floss, white pepper not pictured]

on a side note, I tried century egg in it yesterday but didn't take a picture. I wasn't a fan :(

close to toast
Dec 12, 2006

I made the congee version of avegolemono!

Covered whole chicken with water, threw in onion, carrot, bay leaves, neck bone - cooked for 45 mins until chicken is done. Kept boiling the liquid until chicken was slightly cooled. De-meated chicken and threw bones back in the stock. Let it go for 2 more hours. Skimmed and strained the chunks. Added a cup of short grain rice. Cooked another 30. Then whisked 3 eggs with 2/3 cup of lemon juice. Tempered with hot stock. Returned to pot.

Served with chicken on top, chopped flat leaf parsley, green onions, and white pepper. One of roommates proposed marriage. Was too busy enjoying the food + compliments to take pictures, but since I have many leftovers there will be another chance.

Mmmm custardy lemony chickeny rice pudding!!

close to toast
Dec 12, 2006

Any ideas for how to spice up the leftovers? What additions would suit the lemon chicken custard vibe?

I kinda wanna eat it for breakfast.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Congee is breakfast food so you could just eat it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Congee is actually traditionally breakfast, so just eat it lol

close to toast
Dec 12, 2006

definitely had a decent sized bowl for breakfast. congee breakfast, best breakfast!

any ideas for ways to spice it up?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Any combo of

Green onion + cilantro
fish sauce or soy sauce
Ginger
Angry lady
Plain chili oil if you lack angry lady
Poached or fried egg or century egg
Sauteed mushrooms
Pork floss
Chinese sausage
Bacon
Steamed green veg tossed with some soy sauce and vinegar
Chinese fried dough sticks

Anything you might eat on a bowl of rice you can eat on a bowl of congee. If you browse through the thread people put all kinds of stuff on and lemon and chicken are pretty easy to combine with other things. For chicken congee I'm partial to just ginger/fish sauce/green onion/cilantro.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Grav :argh:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

:stare:

you win

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Made a big batch of midnight cong last night. Mmm breakfast.

close to toast
Dec 12, 2006

mich posted:

Any combo of

Green onion + cilantro
fish sauce or soy sauce
Ginger
Angry lady
Plain chili oil if you lack angry lady
Poached or fried egg or century egg
Sauteed mushrooms
Pork floss
Chinese sausage
Bacon
Steamed green veg tossed with some soy sauce and vinegar
Chinese fried dough sticks

Anything you might eat on a bowl of rice you can eat on a bowl of congee. If you browse through the thread people put all kinds of stuff on and lemon and chicken are pretty easy to combine with other things. For chicken congee I'm partial to just ginger/fish sauce/green onion/cilantro.

great, tyvm! gonna try out your personal recommendation tonight or tomorrow :)

also, is it sacrilege to eat congee cold? because i kinda like a few bites tbh

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
The only way to eat congee is the way you enjoy it.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Crispy pancetta, fried shallot, 62c egg, paprika shramps, scallion, angry lady, microgreens.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Show off.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

GrAviTy84 posted:

Packed a jook for lunch with some siopao (steamed buns filled with meat, this one was storebought).

Basic jook w ginger and fish sauce. Topped with chopped up fried chicken, scallions, and black garlic oil.

you weren't kidding about being able to eat this stuff all the time huh

I've never actually had, but I'm going to try it now

mich
Feb 28, 2003
You can eat like an infinite combination of items on rice and rice porridge is just rice cooked with more liquid and generally more seasoning.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Is there any kind of rice that is better/worse?
All i have right now is some brown rice and some aborio.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I have recently been on holiday in Thailand and had seafood congee for breakfast, it was delicious. When I saw this thread I had to try make my own.
I even went to the Asian store to get Angry Lady. The Vietnamese dude there looked at me funny, asked me what it was, and when I showed him the brand name in Google he said "Lao Gang Ma? I don't know what that is supposed to be..." Just as I was about to leave, :siren: my girlfriend :siren: spied a tiny glass in a corner that looked like the GWS page entry picture. After a bit of chinese character matching we decided it was the same thing and bought it.

Thank you for making me aware of Angry Lady, the stuff is the bomb! It is sooooo great.

Pan seared chicken, spring onion, cilantro, soft cooked egg, angry lady, soy sauce (I used a little veggie broth in combination with water to cook the rice in.)

(Delicious bonus hilarity: I completely misjudged the amount of rice and have about 4 helpings left so I'll take some to work tomorrow.)

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

toplitzin posted:

Is there any kind of rice that is better/worse?
All i have right now is some brown rice and some aborio.

Arborio should work ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Work it work it.

• Locked thread