Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I think I breakfast jook'd.

Yea/nea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

toplitzin posted:

I think I breakfast jook'd.

Yea/nea?

In my mouf now. Is that bacon?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

In my mouf now. Is that bacon?

Bacon, fried egg, tapatio, maple drizzle.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'd eat the hell out of that.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

toplitzin posted:

Bacon, fried egg, tapatio, maple drizzle.

MAKING THAT TOMORROW. Holy poo poo, Amerijook is born. Because crispy bacon and smooshy rice is delicious.

Maybe some thin sliced tomato, but that's all else.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I love how casu pretty much did the exact same breakfastish jook thing on page 1 but no one gave a crap until this one.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

GrAviTy84 posted:

I love how casu pretty much did the exact same breakfastish jook thing on page 1 but no one gave a crap until this one.

Pff, that one had vegetables. And MUSHROOMS.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

It also lacked the glory of maple surple :byobear:

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

It also looked like a garbage plate.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

It also looked like a garbage plate.

so's your face

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Hey now, lets just all make a breakfast jook tomorrow morning, ok?

I need a new one because the parsley was a bad idea, and i want more sambal in my life.

(also a secret idea to be revealed)

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

so's your face

Well I did just get done eating your mom.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Just because you put bacon and eggs on it doesn't make it a breakfast jook. It already was breakfast jook. :ssh:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Drink and Fight posted:

Well I did just get done eating your mom.

Oh yeah? I just told YOUR MOM how disappointing you are. So then she adopted me and then that morning she made me BREAKFAST JOOK turns out she's a lovely cook and lady why you disrespecting yourself like that new sibling

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh yeah? I just told YOUR MOM how disappointing you are. So then she adopted me and then that morning she made me BREAKFAST JOOK turns out she's a lovely cook and lady why you disrespecting yourself like that new sibling

Actually my mom is a terrible cook. Ask me about surviving my teen years on bagel bites. :(

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Maybe she just didn't love you enough to make breakfast jook :(

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Bob_McBob posted:

Maybe she just didn't love you enough to make breakfast jook :(

No I got Quaker instant oatmeal packets.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

No I got Quaker instant oatmeal packets.

P sure that's just Pennsylvanian jook

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/saddest-food-goons/8/

quote:

Growing up my Mom was a terrible, terrible cook. Combined with the fact that my family was barely paying the bills, each meal was either buttered noodles, mac and cheese, or the cheapest cut of pork cooked until it was burnt to "make sure it was safe." I always jumped at the chance to eat at a friend's house whenever I could. Other families used spices! Meat cooked properly! And SALADS! Holy poo poo, I remember my first salad. loving life-changing.

One day in High School I came home to find my Mom pulling a quiche out of the oven. A quiche. One of the best ones I had ever eaten in my life. Confused, I asked if Dad cooked for once.

Nope. It was Mom. Turns out she's a fantastic cook. Dad even pulled out her old '70s cookbook. It was filled with amazing, yet cheap (since they were poor hippies at the time) recipes, all written in my Mom's terrible handwriting. He told me that after Mom had her first kid she simply 'gave up' cooking since kids wouldn't know any better. After that one quiche she remarked how it was harder than she remembered and went back to noodles and overcooked pork.

That was the last and only time I tasted my Mom's cooking.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Are you saying we should top our jook with quiche? I'm so confused

Quiche jook, would eat

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

English Breakfast Jook (No beans/black pudding edition)

egg, bacon, fried tomato, siracha

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

I jook'd. My fridge is pretty bare so it's just topped with a poached egg and some oyster sauce and sesame oil with some ginger and seasoning cooked in.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
i got this rad mixed miso paste that also has bonito and other stuff in it. tuesday the gees get miso con'd because gently caress if i know if thats a thing or not but it sounds good to me

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
Hey I congee'd finally

Shrimp, green onion, Szechuan chili oil and lots of angry lady. Overcooked the egg but oh well.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Chinese coworker and I:

Me: I went to the Asian Market Saturday.

Her: Oh really? What did you buy?

Me: Galangal, coconut buns and Lao Gan Ma.

Her: Oh I love lao gan ma, what did you buy it for.

Me: To try in congee.

Her: In congee?? What the hell, gross. How do you even know about lao gan ma.

Me: The internet.

*shrug* she's from Northern China and says congee isn't quite like the pictures I showed her from the thread. My other coworker said it was delicious in congee.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Echeveria posted:

Chinese coworker and I:

Me: I went to the Asian Market Saturday.

Her: Oh really? What did you buy?

Me: Galangal, coconut buns and Lao Gan Ma.

Her: Oh I love lao gan ma, what did you buy it for.

Me: To try in congee.

Her: In congee?? What the hell, gross. How do you even know about lao gan ma.

Me: The internet.

*shrug* she's from Northern China and says congee isn't quite like the pictures I showed her from the thread. My other coworker said it was delicious in congee.

Congee is typically a bowl of slop with poo poo mixed in. People are topping things all fancy and giving it the Instagram treatment but usually its a pretty humble dish.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tell your coworker that she's fake chinese and that lao gan ma is delicious in congee

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

Tell your coworker that she's fake chinese and that lao gan ma is delicious in congee

the most confusing part is why someone would be surprised that you'd heard of chili oil - which is a pretty loving basic chinese/cantonese condiment - and not surprised that you had heard of congee.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

the most confusing part is why someone would be surprised that you'd heard of chili oil - which is a pretty loving basic chinese/cantonese condiment - and not surprised that you had heard of congee.

Because you're white and she'd be right to assume you didn't know about lao gan ma 99% of the time

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

The city I live in is like half immigrants. A somewhat disproportionate amount of whom work in healthcare (with me). And healthcare staff have a lot of potlucks. So I get exposed to a lot of Filipino and eastern euro dishes. It's not the dish that surprised her, but a seemingly obscure condiment I knew the actual name for.

My brain is addled. It's 3am and I took double my normal muscle relaxants and an Advil cold and flu, and I'm still loving awake.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

I don't think it's that she's suprised she knows what chili oil is, I think she's surprised that she knew what Lao Gan Ma is by name.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I get angry lady now. It's so good.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Black bean > peanuts > sichuan peppercorn > everything else

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I'm glad to know that I wasn't just being crazy when I put a bunch of black bean sauce on my nook now

saphron
Apr 28, 2009
I was feeling like poo poo, and then I saw this thread and had a bunch of warm fuzzy memories of too-loving-early breakfasts. And then I looked in the pantry and realized I only had maybe a half cup of rice so that pretty much sealed the deal. :V

Shredded rotisserie chicken, lap cheong, shiitake mushrooms, diced dried prawns, kale (in a moment of anguish, realizing I had no other greens), hard-boiled egg in a jook that contained chicken broth and part whatever soaking liquid I had from the mushrooms and the prawns.

Doesn't taste at all traditional, but it's goddamn delicious all the same.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
i bar-b-jooq'd

smoked & fried pork chop in szechuan pepper & ginger jook w/spanish hot smoked paprika, fried onions, and furikake

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

wheez the roux posted:

i bar-b-jooq'd

smoked & fried pork chop in szechuan pepper & ginger jook w/spanish hot smoked paprika, fried onions, and furikake

has quickscoping gone too far......

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

wheez the roux posted:

i bar-b-jooq'd

thats a hella golden lookin pork chop right there :eyepop:

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
How'd you fry that pork chop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Which legume that could approximate the texture of congee?

• Locked thread