Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
net work error
Feb 26, 2011

hogmartin posted:

It matters, but you can use either, it just depends on the result you want.

I'm a congee noob so if you can explain it a little more that would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Can i start with dry rice and go direct to jook/congee via the "porridge" setting on my rice cooker?
Do i just double/triple/X+ the water?

A quick google says thusly:
Thick : 1 cup rice to 8 cups water
Medium : 1 cup rice to 10 cups water
Thin or Watery : 1 cup rice to 13 cups water

Or do i start with cooked rice then add even more water/chicken/garlic/ginger etc?

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 2, 2016

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Short grain rice will be more creamy, it's not my preference for congee so I use long grain generally.

Yes you can go from raw rice to congee with the porridge setting. Usually there's a line on the rice cooker pot to show you where to fill liquid to with x cup of rice. I find 1:8 as well as that line on the rice cooker pot makes very thick congee. I prefer at least 1:10.

Pieholes
Sep 18, 2010

I present to you the most humble of jooks, bought to you by a complete cooking amateur. All the ingredients were stuff I found in my kitchen so this jook lacks meat. Also, turns out some chicken stocks have spices in them (this caused the slight yellow color of the jook) so I will pay more attention to choosing a good chicken stock the next time I'm cooking this (I might also try my hand in making my own chicken stock, as I said I'm new to cooking). It was very good though, especially since the weather is cold now. I'll make a better one with actual chicken and vegetables now that I know this dish is enjoyable.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Pieholes posted:

I present to you the most humble of jooks, bought to you by a complete cooking amateur. All the ingredients were stuff I found in my kitchen so this jook lacks meat. Also, turns out some chicken stocks have spices in them (this caused the slight yellow color of the jook) so I will pay more attention to choosing a good chicken stock the next time I'm cooking this (I might also try my hand in making my own chicken stock, as I said I'm new to cooking). It was very good though, especially since the weather is cold now. I'll make a better one with actual chicken and vegetables now that I know this dish is enjoyable.

Very nice!

Just between you and me, I use canned chicken in congee because that's how I want the chicken to turn out anyway. Saves having to mess with raw chicken sanitation too. Don't tell anybody.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 3, 2016

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

What's the best way to freeze congee for future use, is there a recommended way? I froze a bit of my last batch but it ended up slightly more rubbery than its fresh/only refrigerated counterparts. Inevitable?

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Another person new to jook checking in with what's probably a dumb question... If I use brown rice, will I have to up the water amount or cooking time? Or is it even worth using brown rice? Brown rice is just generally what I have on hand.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I've never frozen it but can't imagine why it wouldn't work. When reheating it try adding a bit more liquid to loosen it up, it may be rubbery because it's just absorbed too much liquid?

Brown rice should be fine for congee, I do think you'll probably need more liquid, like 1:10 at minimum.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah I use brown calrose for my congee. Works good, is good.

rysfade
Mar 31, 2009
Jook'd for the first time tonight. Kept it really simple since I've been feeling a little off today; 1:8 rice:water, ginger, green onion, shredded chicken. Hard boiled egg, minced green onion and a little kimchi on top.

Holy gently caress, jook forever.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
my gallbladder is causing me hell, and is probably coming out, so I need to be eating nothing but soups and the like. I am doing jook for the first time tonight and excited!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I have jooked:

made some stock and threw it in the rice with a buttload of ginger, lemongrass, fish sauce, mirin, some dried wild mushrooms a friend picked, green onion, and some black and white pepper. Toppings were meat from the rotisserie chicken I threw in the stock, garlic mushrooms, white pepper, serrenno slices, green onion, cilantro, and cock sauce/hoisin since I forgot that I broke my jar of angry lady sauce I got from some good place in Jersey City :(

this stuff is really good. I also really should have thought about how much I was making because I have a HUGE pot filled with it. I guess I'll be freezing

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
I fucks with congee.

Roast pork, ground pork, and pork floss. Couldn't find 1000 year egg so I settles for salted duck egg.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Made my first Congee just like the OP said and it was drat tasty. It's gonna be a regular! Just green onion, fried shallot and soft boiled egg, but who knows what the future will hold. Thanks!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

BBQ Dave posted:

Made my first Congee just like the OP said and it was drat tasty. It's gonna be a regular! Just green onion, fried shallot and soft boiled egg, but who knows what the future will hold. Thanks!

I need to get on this fried shallot train, and ASAP. Any tips?

Also, what are other great things to add to the jook? I already do pretty quality beef/chicken stock, ginger, and sometimes some green onion ends. I need to step my jook game up hardcore this next batch!

Also I need to jook, hardcore. Think I might do that tonight so I have lunch for the next ~1.5 weeks...

Carillon
May 9, 2014

This is my go to fried shallot recipe. It's really quite good.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/02/thai-style-fried-shallots.html

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I jooked American today. Rice w/ chicken stock, ginger, cracked pepper, onion, garlic, chopped carrots and mushrooms. Topped w fried shallots and garlic, thin sliced pork chop, and fresh sweet corn. And some chili paste. So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Johnny Truant posted:

I need to get on this fried shallot train, and ASAP. Any tips?

Also, what are other great things to add to the jook? I already do pretty quality beef/chicken stock, ginger, and sometimes some green onion ends. I need to step my jook game up hardcore this next batch!

Also I need to jook, hardcore. Think I might do that tonight so I have lunch for the next ~1.5 weeks...

The ones in the picture are breaded, although I'm going to try the other recipie Carilon posted.

1) thinly slice shallots (like a poker chip thick) into cute little rings and store them temporarily in a bowl of cold water
2) when everything else is ready I bread the shallots in lightly salted flour
3) and fry in an even layer in very thin layer of olive oil (I fry about half a big shallot a time)
4) and put them on a plate with a couple paper towels. No need to blot.

Fresh is the watch word! Do them last. I learned from blue apron.

PS Jook leftover was awesome breakfast in the morning.

• Locked thread