Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Husband says he's game to try it this weekend. To keep Grav from losing his mind, I'll put a soft boiled egg in my husbands. I have half a roasted chicken, could I just throw the meat in with the broth andrice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

My plan for dinner is a jook. How much ginger and garlic should I put in with the rice? I have very few asian ingredients around the house right now, so I thought I'd use chicken broth, garlic and ginger, and a bit of soy sauce? Then top with scallions, bacon and whats left of my roast chicken. I don't think I have much hot sauce kicking around. Husbands will get an egg.

I know this is supposed to be a throw together recipe BUT IM SO NEW TO THIS DISH.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Ok. I've got it worked out. Will post pictures tonight.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I fear I would give myself botulism. I have everything except sichuan peppercorns, though, and I can get them close by. There is a huge Asian market here, it's just on the absolute other end of the city. Lazy.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

So I did jook, but uhhhh I burnt my crispy garlic, having never done it before. And I didn't realize it was so burnt, and that it was such a pervasive flavor. It was really terrible, but I'm pretty sure it was because of the garlic. I will try again, and just buy the loving crispy garlic.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah it takes a bit to go from raw to brown but then from brown to black it takes like 3 milliseconds.

Learned the hard way. My husband went from "looks good" to "omg noooooo" in the span of about 3 chews into his first bite. He ate frozen burritos for dinner :/

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Chinese coworker and I:

Me: I went to the Asian Market Saturday.

Her: Oh really? What did you buy?

Me: Galangal, coconut buns and Lao Gan Ma.

Her: Oh I love lao gan ma, what did you buy it for.

Me: To try in congee.

Her: In congee?? What the hell, gross. How do you even know about lao gan ma.

Me: The internet.

*shrug* she's from Northern China and says congee isn't quite like the pictures I showed her from the thread. My other coworker said it was delicious in congee.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

The city I live in is like half immigrants. A somewhat disproportionate amount of whom work in healthcare (with me). And healthcare staff have a lot of potlucks. So I get exposed to a lot of Filipino and eastern euro dishes. It's not the dish that surprised her, but a seemingly obscure condiment I knew the actual name for.

My brain is addled. It's 3am and I took double my normal muscle relaxants and an Advil cold and flu, and I'm still loving awake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I get angry lady now. It's so good.

• Locked thread