Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I like my cong simple, like a simple chao ga. Cooked with chicken broth, ginger, fish sauce, with shredded chicken and some aromatics to top (standard Vietnamese green onion and cilantro, maybe add some other onion and fried onion).

I often also like it brothier like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Any combo of

Green onion + cilantro
fish sauce or soy sauce
Ginger
Angry lady
Plain chili oil if you lack angry lady
Poached or fried egg or century egg
Sauteed mushrooms
Pork floss
Chinese sausage
Bacon
Steamed green veg tossed with some soy sauce and vinegar
Chinese fried dough sticks

Anything you might eat on a bowl of rice you can eat on a bowl of congee. If you browse through the thread people put all kinds of stuff on and lemon and chicken are pretty easy to combine with other things. For chicken congee I'm partial to just ginger/fish sauce/green onion/cilantro.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
You can eat like an infinite combination of items on rice and rice porridge is just rice cooked with more liquid and generally more seasoning.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Just because you put bacon and eggs on it doesn't make it a breakfast jook. It already was breakfast jook. :ssh:

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I've got to get under a blanket to be comfortable which means it's rice porridge weather!

I deboned a split chicken breast earlier in the week to make schnitzel so used the bones to make broth and poached the tenderloins for a topping along with a crispy fried egg, angry lady, chili oil, and green onions. Seasoned with plenty of fish sauce, pepper, and ginger. Some pickled radish on the side.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Short grain rice will be more creamy, it's not my preference for congee so I use long grain generally.

Yes you can go from raw rice to congee with the porridge setting. Usually there's a line on the rice cooker pot to show you where to fill liquid to with x cup of rice. I find 1:8 as well as that line on the rice cooker pot makes very thick congee. I prefer at least 1:10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I've never frozen it but can't imagine why it wouldn't work. When reheating it try adding a bit more liquid to loosen it up, it may be rubbery because it's just absorbed too much liquid?

Brown rice should be fine for congee, I do think you'll probably need more liquid, like 1:10 at minimum.

• Locked thread