Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
you would pretty much have to commit the equivalent of an ethic minority genocide to overthrow the Saudi Kingdom at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Just want to add that even as a member of the SNP (Scottish Nationalist Party for the ignorant and/or American) I and many others in the party really like the Queen.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Lichy posted:

you would pretty much have to commit the equivalent of an ethic minority genocide to overthrow the Saudi Kingdom at this point

Luckily genocide is well outside the purview of the Secret Service.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
I'd take the dumb monarchy and NHS over an elected president and the US private healthcare system any day of the loving week.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

A Tartan Tory posted:

Just want to add that even as a member of the SNP (Scottish Nationalist Party for the ignorant and/or American) I and many others in the party really like the Queen.

sorry about your stockholm syndrome

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

OP, you've missed the trick. By using up all our pageantry on a bunch of clearly ridiculous bullshit with no powers or consequences we free up our actual politicians to be the subject of complete and open derision. We find the level of reverence Americans have for their senators or whatever in general, and their presidents in particular, to be really loving creepy. (Also the way you seem to think of your laws and constitution as magic)

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Dzhay posted:

OP, you've missed the trick. By using up all our pageantry on a bunch of clearly ridiculous bullshit with no powers or consequences we free up our actual politicians to be the subject of complete and open derision. We find the level of reverence Americans have for their senators or whatever in general, and their presidents in particular, to be really loving creepy. (Also the way you seem to think of your laws and constitution as magic)

yeah we sure revere our congress with their 6% approval rating

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Lichy posted:

see what you don't know is that abdullah is a member of a royal family numbering around 7 000 that occupy all the senior posts in government, so beheading a hydra won't really do much

Good to see that someone beat rurik's high score.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
I'd have a beer with the queen

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
The UK isn't a monarchy, it is a theocracy, since the head of state is also the head of the official religion.

I've actually had this conversation with a lot of Canadians (also a theocracy)

"So by law, every member of your government and civil servant has to swear a loyalty oath to a religious leader to have a job? Doesn't that seem a bit odd."

"Well, it doesn't really count!"

"So why take the oath? What about Jews, Muslims, Quakers, atheists, or any other person who doesn't want to have to swear an oath to a church leader?"

"Uh...we have free health care! Because we have such a small population and control a gigantic chunk of the world's resources that we we are short-sightedly exploiting are so progressive!"

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

plain blue jacket posted:

I'd have a beer with the queen

she wouldnt have a beer with you

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Lawman 0 posted:

Good to see that someone beat rurik's high score.

are you saying rurik was a sex machine

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

sorry about your stockholm syndrome

What about the Swedish monarchy?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

glowing-fish posted:

The UK isn't a monarchy, it is a theocracy, since the head of state is also the head of the official religion.
This would be an interesting point if it weren't for the fact that, like any other European country with an official state church, it's all just remnants of earlier times that are little more than ceremonial in nature today. Do you ever hear of queen Elizabeth deciding important questions within the Anglican church, or even expressing her opinion on such matters? The UK might technically be a theocracy, but to actually characterise it as such is so far removed from the reality of it all that it just comes across as being excessively pedantic (and even a bit juvenile).

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

glowing-fish posted:

"So by law, every member of your government and civil servant has to swear a loyalty oath to a religious leader to have a job? Doesn't that seem a bit odd."

"So why take the oath?"
That's a fair question, and some people do want it changed, but you are going to find Jews, Muslims, the oath-taking kind of Quaker, atheists and so on in the civil service, which only in very special cases requires an official Oath of Allegiance. The people who don't take it are people like Sinn Fein, there've been non-CofE Christians, Jews, Muslims and atheists in parliament since ages ago; we had an openly atheist PM in the forties and the King didn't do much about it.

It's also worth pointing out that the Queen is not in any real sense at the centre of the Church of England, that's the Archbishop of Canterbury, currently Justin Welby. She doesn't normally go to its Synod, and is maybe even less involved in its everyday running than she is in Parliament.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Kitchner posted:

As someone who's actually worked with MPs I can honestly say it's not the same in the slightest.

Big organised groups and businesses have influence in the UK, but it's usually not directly linked to money, it's more about the fact that the CEO of Money Grabbing Corp went to Oxford with the Chancellor or something.

Plus thanks to our enlightened political system you don't get MPs literally being paid cash to do poo poo like they do in the US because it gets plastered all over the news as soon as they do.

The rich have more influence in the UK because they can afford a good education where they build the sort of connections they use to advance their careers. I'm not saying this isn't a problem though, I'm saying it's a different one from corporations literally buying your politicians.

yeah ok pal, say hi to the City remembrancer for me he seems like a swell chap

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

glowing-fish posted:

I've actually had this conversation with a lot of Canadians (also a theocracy)

"So why take the oath? What about Jews, Muslims, Quakers, atheists, or any other person who doesn't want to have to swear an oath to a church leader?"

"Uh...we have free health care! Because we have such a small population and control a gigantic chunk of the world's resources that we we are short-sightedly exploiting are so progressive!"

Doesn't the American President take his oath of office while placing his hand on a Bible? Isn't "..under God" plastered all over the place in DC?

If I, as a Canadian, were to be elected Prime Minister as an open atheist, there would be less hullabaloo when I declined to swear an oath of fealty to The Queen (do our PM's even have to do this anyway), than if an athiest American President declined to swear his oath of office on a Bible or didn't say "...and may God bless America" after every speech. And that's if the athiest could even get elected to Bumfuck County dog catcher in the US, which he almost certainly couldn't.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The best thing to come out of the UK is the United States.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Andorra has two Co-Princes who are whoever happens to be the President of France and the Bishop of Urgell. They're paid in hams and live chickens. Makes being ruled by German weirdos look almost normal.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

she wouldnt have a beer with you

She strikes me as a Pimm's kind of person. Old ladies like that kind of poo poo and she's hella old.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

"Yeah we pride ourselves on our individualism and limited government"

*children are forced to swear allgience to the state every day*

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

the united states is just as, if not more evil, but at least our leaders arent larping

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Lol americants are so salty about us lately. I wonder what happened.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

proof of concept posted:

Sure no worries, I mean it's not like he does poo poo:

quote:

The Remembrancer is a Parliamentary Agent, and as such can observe House of Commons proceedings from the under-gallery facing the Speaker's chair.[3] However this access does not give the ability to participate in or influence the proceedings.[1]

The Corporation in general, and the Remembrancer in particular, have no power to overrule Parliament, which has the right to make legislation affecting the City...The Remembrancer does not have any entitlement to see Parliamentary Bills or other papers before they are publicly available or to amend laws. The right to submit briefings to MPs or to submit evidence to Select Committees is the same as that of any other individual or body.

Also the "corporation" it refers to is London's local government, not an actual corporation.

Read a book for gently caress sake, or you know, even your own source.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 4, 2015

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

proof of concept posted:

If I had the job of remembrancer I'd be overjoyed so I wouldn't give a poo poo

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Bozza posted:

I'd take the dumb monarchy and NHS over an elected president and the US private healthcare system any day of the loving week.

Except that the NHS is being destroyed, so there's no more advantage...? :confused:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

ThirdPartyView posted:

Except that the NHS is being destroyed, so there's no more advantage...? :confused:

Not living in America

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Kitchner posted:

Sure no worries, I mean it's not like he does poo poo:

Also the "corporation" it refers to is London's local government, not an actual corporation.

Read a book for gently caress sake, or you know, even your own source.

lol if you think the city corporation has no power

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Sombrerotron posted:

This would be an interesting point if it weren't for the fact that, like any other European country with an official state church, it's all just remnants of earlier times that are little more than ceremonial in nature today. Do you ever hear of queen Elizabeth deciding important questions within the Anglican church, or even expressing her opinion on such matters? The UK might technically be a theocracy, but to actually characterise it as such is so far removed from the reality of it all that it just comes across as being excessively pedantic (and even a bit juvenile).

"Well, it doesn't really count..."

If the Queen doesn't have any real power over the church, why is she the head of it?

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

glowing-fish posted:

If the Queen doesn't have any real power over the church, why is she the head of it?

because of history you pig-ignorant yank cretin

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

glowing-fish posted:

wait till that oval office Charles or whatever his name was succeeds her and declares equality and tolerance abolished and institutes homeopathy as primary NHS treatment

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
When the Queen dies, the funeral will near-definitely be a national holiday. Then Charles will become King and he'll likely die in my lifetime too, meaning another day off.

I don't like monarchy, but I'm willing to support it for as long as I get two extra days off work. Possibly three if William takes a dirt nap before his time.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

glowing-fish posted:

Sombrerotron posted:

it's all just remnants of earlier times that are little more than ceremonial in nature today
Welcome to the United Kingdom Europe Earth, where practices that once had clearly defined purposes and motivations have long since degenerated into either custom or codified tradition, and people are generally disinclined to change them because they don't see any harm in it and are resistant to altering familiar things.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Sombrerotron posted:

Welcome to the United Kingdom Europe Earth, where practices that once had clearly defined purposes and motivations have long since degenerated into either custom or codified tradition, and people are generally disinclined to change them because they don't see any harm in it and are resistant to altering familiar things.

marx referred to this as "the muck of ages"

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Lol that video is retarded, it actually costs the UK money to maintain those inbred Germans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2IO5ifWKdw

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

TEAYCHES posted:

"hello i am the queen"

- some lady can say that with utter seriousness and shes right, she is the queen. her children are princes and princesses

Some men can say that with utter seriousness as well.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

TEAYCHES posted:

I bet Karl would've been so upset to learn that, well over a century after his death, most people would still rather have muck than Marxism.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Axetrain posted:

Lol that video is retarded, it actually costs the UK money to maintain those inbred Germans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2IO5ifWKdw

this owns

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

Lol if the queen deigned to even acknowledge you you'd been on the floor licking her bodyguard's boots. You protest way too much to not have some twisted submive fetish going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

opus111 posted:

Lol if the queen deigned to even acknowledge you you'd been on the floor licking her bodyguard's boots. You protest way too much to not have some twisted submive fetish going on.

sorry, top

• Locked thread