Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Spiderfist Island posted:

Why would you even need to model land campaigns in South America or sub-saharan Africa in a World War II game? I mean, I know why they decided to (grog completionism :rolldice:), but... why? How does it even change the experience?

My guess would be resources and shipping lanes for both. Shutting down Panama Canal or havig a big naval presence at the tip of South America could mean bad news for the Allies, same with the Suez Canal/Horn of Africa and the Cape of Good Hope.

That and trying to conquer all of Africa as Italy is a silly but amusing goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Claiming as I always do the USS IOWA if we pick lucky chits

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I'm not even sure what I'm looking at but I sure will be following. Good luck! Can't wait for the first proper turn.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Is there a list of chits anywhere :stare:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

The base game without extra maps or boards has over 1200 chits.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

uPen posted:

:stonklol: That's...awesome

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Considering the length of this, vast amounts of units, diversity of units and nationalities, will there be a lucky chits list? :downsrim:
Each of you can pick any corps/division/unit/ship if you guys want. Keep in mind, the better stuff is not available until later in the war. Good luck (it's all based on d10 die rolls anyway).

Spiderfist Island posted:

Why would you even need to model land campaigns in South America or sub-saharan Africa in a World War II game? I mean, I know why they decided to (grog completionism :rolldice:), but... why? How does it even change the experience?
It's always fun to invade some small-off South American nation for an extra resource, or two. Fighting the Platinean War would be interesting.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

My guess would be resources and shipping lanes for both. Shutting down Panama Canal or havig a big naval presence at the tip of South America could mean bad news for the Allies, same with the Suez Canal/Horn of Africa and the Cape of Good Hope.

That and trying to conquer all of Africa as Italy is a silly but amusing goal.
This too. Italy has conquered Ethiopia at the start, so when the go to war, they could go from there, if they could supply the units.

AtomikKrab posted:

Claiming as I always do the USS IOWA if we pick lucky chits
Sure, the USS Iowa is yours. It becomes available to be laid down to start building in 1940, and takes 2 full years to be completed.

markus_cz posted:

I'm not even sure what I'm looking at but I sure will be following. Good luck! Can't wait for the first proper turn.
Welcome. I'm going over the basic rules and map info before diving into the start of the game.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

https://sites.google.com/site/frenchwifpage/home/world-in-flames-final-edition/counter-lists/gallery-of-countersheets

I don't think this has all of them though.

uPen posted:

Top Hats Monthly posted:

:stonklol: That's...awesome

quote:

The World in Flames Super Deluxe game set consists of 8,920 counters.

We actually have more than that since I'm playing until the end of 1950, I think the total is up near 10,000.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 14, 2015

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I'll leave the Surcouf for GenHavoc, so rather I'll have HMS Ark Royal.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
That's amazing. I'm tempted to pick the RM Aquila, but is it even in the game?

If not, totally picking anything with Adolf Galland as a named person. And if THAT isn't an option, either Jagdgeschwader 26 or 1. Fallschirmjägerdivision

Edit: RM not RN

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 14, 2015

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Readingaccount posted:

I'll leave the Surcouf for GenHavoc, so rather I'll have HMS Ark Royal.

You got it. Subs aren't actually named in this, only Carriers, Surface Ships, and Land Units have names. Hope you last longer than the historical date.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If not, totally picking anything with Adolf Galland as a named person. And if THAT isn't an option, either Jagdgeschwader 26 or 1. Fallschirmjägerdivision

The RM Aquila is in the game and has not been laid down yet. The aircraft units are not individual named units, but different types/models of aircraft. BF 109B/C/E1/E2/E4/E7, etc. The German paratroop units available are Corps sized: I or II, Divisions: 7th

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 14, 2015

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
If we're picking lucky chits, I'll take the GD ARM corps.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Arrion posted:

If we're picking lucky chits, I'll take the GD ARM corps.

okay then, see you in 1944.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Are there National Guard units?

US 34th Infantry Division if possible.

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 14, 2015

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
I meant the German GD (Grossduetschland), not the Russian 1 GD (1st Guards).

EDIT: and in general, ground units are Corps in this game. Only a few divisions are represented. For the US, I know the 1st-3rd Infantry, 1st-2nd Armored, 1st-2nd Marine, 10th Mountain, and 82nd and 101st Airborne have counters. I don't know if any other divisions do.

Arrion fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 14, 2015

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Give me the USS Minneapolis

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

I'll grab the USS Massachusetts.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 14, 2015

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

How do I build stuff????

When you want to build a specific type of unit, say a 2 turn fighter, or an infantry corps, or a transport, or a light carrier, you would randomly pick one from the group of that type of unit. What you draw is what is built.

Here is part of what the Germans can build at the start:

Just randomly draw one of the types of units you want to build, that's it.

How are these actually built?

Here is a section of the factory production chart just from England:

Here is a section of the ports chart just from England:

Each column for each city or port has a column of 6 through 2, then a deploy box. The factory section shows the number and type (red/blue/green) of factories in the city. Each port will show if it is a major or minor port, and will also have a construction pool (for ships that are half completed), and a repair pool (for ships that are damaged).

Only aircraft may be built at factory locations, and only naval units may be built at ports. All land units that are not militia, garrison, or territorial units are built at factory locations. Those types of units, and also things like pilots, additional factories, offensive chits, and additional rail lines are not built in either factories or ports; there is a column for those types of units. (These images also show the lend-lease section and aircraft reserves for the British).

There is a stacking limit for production. For each of the 6 thru 2 boxes in factory cities, the maximum number that can be in the same numbered box is the number of factories in that city. For minor ports the stacking limit for each box is 1 ship, or 2 convoy points. For major ports it is 2 ships or 4 convoy points.

Let’s look at this British V corps unit again:

The cost is 3 build points and 2 turns. It would be placed in the 2 box, if the British decide to pay all 3 build points. During the production phase, all units that have been fully paid for are moved down one box until they are in the deploy box. When a moves to the deploy box, it may then be placed on the map at the start of the next turn’s reinforcement phase. Naval units are placed on map in a port. Land and aircraft units are placed in the city or an adjacent hex of the city, which they can stack in. Pilots are placed on the pilots track. Garrison units are placed in any in-supply city. City or territorial units are placed in their specifically named city or territory. If placing a unit would exceed the stacking limit of a hex, it will stay in the deploy box until the next turn. There is no limit to the number of units in the deploy box. For any units that only take one turn to build, they are placed in the deploy box to be available as reinforcements at the start of the next turn.

A nation may pay additional build points to have a unit built in that many turns faster than normal. A nation may also pay fewer build points to have it that many turns further from being completed. The minimum required amount to start building a unit is one build point. If a nation pays less than the full cost of the unit, during the production, it must pay and the build point to move the unit down the column until it has been fully paid. If a unit is fully paid for, no additional cost is needed, except to repair bombing damage. (If a unit would take more than 6 turns to be built when only partially building it, there are numbered marked that will show the turns above 6)

For the unit posted above, the British decide to only pay one build point and partially build it. Instead of the 2 box, it would then be placed in the 4 box. During the next turn production, they could pay one to move it down one more to the 3 box, or the full 2 points remaining to move it to the 2 box. Since the initial numbers of turns to build the unit are only two, once the unit is paid to that point, no additional cost would need to be paid. To show that a unit is fully paid on the charts, it is rotated 90 degrees. This applies to all units in production.

For the naval units that require 2 builds to be fully completed during the first half of the production, they are face down on the production charts. If it is the second half of production, they are face up.

There are certain things that can be built to be added to the map:
A single blue factory can be built for 8 build points and take 4 turns to complete. They are placed on the map in any city, not exceeding the maximum of 3 factories per city rule.

A new rail line can be built through a hex with cost being the movement cost of a motorized unit through the hex. Rail lines may be damaged by strategic bombing. To repair the rail line, a face up unit must be in the hex and must be flipped to repair it at the end of an impulse. (exception: an Engineer division or HQ would not need to be flipped, the line is just repaired)

Some nations have synthetic oil plants that may be built. These produce one oil resource to that nation. The costs and time vary for each.

Some nations also have fortifications available that cover 1, 2, or 3 hex sides. Forts cut in half the attack value of land units attacking across their covered hex side. They take 5 turns to build and 2 points for a fortification for one side, 4 points for two side, and 5 points for three hex sides. When completed and first placed on the map, they are rotated to cover any of the required sides needed. They cannot be rotated once placed on the map.

British fortification:

A few nations have coastal batteries that can be built in a coastal hex. They add their defense to any units in the hex.

A Japanese coastal fort:

Major nations have different types of shipyard available. These are placed at a major port in the home country. There are different types of shipyards, what is available just depends on the country, there are four types: surface ships, carriers, convoys/transports, ASW units, or subs. When a unit is built at a shipyard, that shipyard produces one additional build point to be used for naval units at that port for the same type of unit.

For example, here's German shipyard for surface combat ships in Stettin:

Any surface combat ship placed in Stettin to be built, the shipyard produces one build point that can be used for another surface combat ship there.

Some land units can be upgraded with heavy weapons. To upgrade a land unit, take it off the map and place the heavy weapons unit on an available factory box. It costs 1 build point and 2 turns to upgrade a land unit with heavy weapons. If a land unit becomes upgraded, the original version is out of the game. If a unit with heavy weapons is destroyed, the upgraded unit remains in place of the original. Some of these types of land units have no original unit to start, they are just built as heavy weapons outright.

Example: German 12th Infantry Corps, regular unit on the left, heavy weapons upgraded unit on the right:

Some naval units have a gold printed number on the back, these are upgrades of original units. The upgrade cost is the same as the repair cost (1st cycle cost, 2 turns). The same rule as heavy weapons apply, take the original unit out of the game, place the upgraded unit on an eligible port.

The KM Gneisenau, regular unit on the left, then the upgrade available for it on the right.

Rockets and A bombs and H bombs: (this is really expensive and REALLY difficult to achieve at any time, regardless of the amount of resources you control)

There are two other types of research sites that can be built and placed on the maps: missile sites, nuclear sites. At the start of the game, there is one missile research site in the hex east of Rostock. There is one nuclear research site in southern Norway in the forest hex northeast of Kristiansand. These are the only two on the map at the start (the printed fallout symbols in North America are not used for this)

Each major power (US/CW/France/China, USSR, Germany/Italy/Japan) may build either one type of sites, only once per turn, and only once the USA is at war with all three major Axis countries. Once a major power has 10 nuclear research sites, it may research the bomb. Once a major power has 5 missile research sites, it may research V-weapons. An additional nuclear site cost 30 build points and takes 2 turns to build (25 for the CW/USA/France), minus 2 points for each already under the major power’s control, the minimum cost is 5. An additional missile site cost 30 (25 for the Germans) and 2 turns, minus 2 points for each already under the major power’s control; the minimum cost is 5 build points. A maximum of three of research sites per hex.

Once per turn each major power may buy a research roll on a d10 (1 through 10) to determine the number of research points received for one of these types of weapons. The cost is 25 build points for the bomb minus 2 for each research center, and 15 per missile minus 2 for each missile research center. The minimum cost of a roll will always be 5.

For the bomb, once a nation reaches 50 points for bombs, it has the A-bomb, once it reaches 200, it has the H-bomb.

A-bombs have 25 strategic bombing factors. H-bombs have 2 strategic bombing factors of 25.
/duck, cover, and possibly kiss your rear end goodbye.

For missiles, once a nation reaches 20 points, it has the V-1, 50 for the V-2, 80 for the V-3. Once a power reaches a higher level, all previously built units and new units are now of the upgraded unit.

Bombs and missiles can be saved and multiple launched at once, but only one can be built per turn for one build point. (These are tracked for each power on a chart) To drop the bomb on a hex, you must use a bomber with a strategic bombing factor of 9 or more, or attach it to a V-3 level rocket. To launch a V-weapon, you only need to select a city or port that can trace supply to the nation’s home country
The last things that can be built are Offensive Supply Chits They cost 15 build points and take 3 turns to build.

How do they work?

When using an offensive supply chit, they are only effective for that impulse, and the effects are based on the type of impulse chosen. If used in an air or land impulse, an HQ unit must be selected, and the benefits are provided to any units with the range (reorganization value) of that HQ. This can be provided for as many units as equal to the reorganization value of the HQ unit.

For an air impulse, all units within range of the HQ:
  • all aircraft controlled by that major power roll two die for any ground strike mission
  • all aircraft ground support and strategic bombing values are doubled
  • aircraft units reorganized by the HQ, the cost is half

For a land impulse, all units within range of the HQ:
  • all land attack values of the units are doubled
  • grey backed artillery values are doubled when doing a ground strike.
  • land units reorganized by the HQ, the cost is half

For a naval impulse, the power that played the offensive chit may request that a naval search roll be re-rolled a maximum number of times as the HQ’s reorganization value.

For a combined impulse, the power that played may do the maximum number of moves allowed by all impulses. Example, if Germany plays an offensive chit and choose a combined action, they may do any number of naval, air, and land movements and attacks and 3 rail moves of any eligible unit.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 14, 2015

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Arrion posted:

I meant the German GD (Grossduetschland), not the Russian 1 GD (1st Guards).

EDIT: and in general, ground units are Corps in this game. Only a few divisions are represented. For the US, I know the 1st-3rd Infantry, 1st-2nd Armored, 1st-2nd Marine, 10th Mountain, and 82nd and 101st Airborne have counters. I don't know if any other divisions do.

okay, got you changed

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Give me the USS Minneapolis

got you too

Rogue0071 posted:

I'll grab the US Massachusetts.

okay.

It's on the drawing board waiting to be built.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Edit: RM not RN

Did you want the RM Aquila or one of the air units, or a paratroop unit?

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 14, 2015

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Is the German 7th Armored Division in?

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Thanks for the chit!

Why are the frogmen destroyed upon completion? I understand they must've had pretty drat high casualty rates, but to be rendered completely ineffective?
Though they are Italian units, so...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
If the RM Aquila is exactly a chit in this game I'll take that

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Everyone is calling things, so I'm gonna go ahead and stake a claim for Wasp II, i.e. CV-18 (not that Washington-Naval-Treaty Loser CV-7).

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

sniper4625 posted:

Is the German 7th Armored Division in?

Yep, you can have it. It's waiting to be built. The game has it as a mechanized division, as it was not changed to a full panzer division until after Poland surrenders.

Readingaccount posted:

Thanks for the chit!

Why are the frogmen destroyed upon completion? I understand they must've had pretty drat high casualty rates, but to be rendered completely ineffective?

I think it replicates the use of the torpedoes/minisub type craft to use them. In the game, they only cost 1 resource and 3 turns.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 14, 2015

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Readingaccount posted:

Italian naval commandos (e.g. Decima MAS) were remarkably effective, and your disdain is unwarranted.

The problem is that on a successful attack, the frogmen are probably captured, interned, or sneaking through a neutral country after the operation, if not dead, of course. Whether that's because they jumped off their MTMs before they rammed a ship or harbor boom, or swam ashore from planting mines with an SLC, etc etc is an open question.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Neato, thanks.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If the RM Aquila is exactly a chit in this game I'll take that

fermun posted:

Everyone is calling things, so I'm gonna go ahead and stake a claim for Wasp II, i.e. CV-18 (not that Washington-Naval-Treaty Loser CV-7).

just don't get sunk like that first one.....

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Why not? Argentina was pro-axis and Brazil even sent expeditionary forces to Europe for the Allies.
Argentina wasn't "pro-axis" any more than a lot of Western European or the US were until the Germans invaded Poland and all poo poo really went to hell. There were some political factions that viewed the Axis favourably, these were people who were either actual fascists (a fair amount of Argentine army officers trained in Italy) or mainly because they didn't so much like Germany as they didn't like the a) Communists b) decrepit liberal western democracies. Large amounts of the military were pro-Allies (the majority of the armed forces were pro-neutral actually), the entire democratic spectrum of society was pro-Allies, and the overwhelming majority of business interests were pro-Allies. Argentine trade with the allies (particularly Britain) was very important, and the British ran up a huge war debt from buying Argentine supplies (canned beef being the most important, a considerable amount of which was given for no charge at all).

Argentina didn't hop onto the war for a multitude of reasons. 1) Argentina is in the rear end-end of the world, so it could just not concern itself with issues outside of Latin America 2) it was neutral in WW1, which was a popular decision 3) it was rich and big enough that it was politically independent from the USA (unlike all the Central American states that just declared war and then didn't do anything) 3) The British government was not worried at all about Argentina being neutral, since this actually gave Argentina an advantage in supplying food to Britain.

A lot of the "Argentina was pretty much Nazi" narrative is still a holdover from the end of the war. The US wanted all of Latin America to go along with it following the bombing of Pearl Harbour, and Argentina was the biggest holdout to that policy (Argentina did declare a state of emergency and clamped down on German spies though). There was therefore a lot of US diplomatic and economic pressure focused on Argentina to join the war, and a message that if they weren't joining then it was because they were against them (even though Argentina was effectively in economic terms part of the Commonwealth). There was even a ridiculous plan (that would never had happened) for the US to support Brazil in invading Argentina kicked around at a fairly high level.

Anyways sorry for the derail, the game looks ridiculously complicated but fun, good luck.

Ghost of Mussolini fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 14, 2015

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
If we're calling lucky pieces then I'll take the USS Ranger

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Anyways sorry for the derail, the game looks ridiculously complicated but fun, good luck.

Cool info! Thanks :)

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
Since we're calling lucky chits I'm gonna go with the DKM Bismarck. Hopefully it lasts longer here than in real life.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

I would like to claim the 1. Gebirgsjaeger "Edelweiss" (1st German Mountaineer division).

Edit: if a division is too small, I take the whole Alpine corps.

And if land troops are too general or not named, I guess I want the German heavy cruiser Admiral Hipper.

OperaMouse fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 14, 2015

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
This is the most complicated game I've ever seen. :catstare:

Is the 21st Panzer in this? I'll take that and watch someone else play it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If we're calling lucky chits, I suppose someone has to stick up for the Italians. Calling the battleship Andrea Doria.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Also, missiles really do not look like they are worth it, unless you drop tons of funds on a V-3 and an A-Bomb, but that looks difficult

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
The Bismarck was claimed already?
Welp, I'd like the Battleship Tirpitz, then. Maybe it'll get out of harbour this time around.

brb on fire
May 12, 2013
This is horrifying. I'll be watching every step of the way. :getin:

For my lucky chit I'll take the the HQ-A Right Honourable Field Marshall Earl Wavell, the one man in the Middle East who is certfiably too old for this poo poo. Also a one eyed badass.

And no, I don't think missiles are worth it. But how can you not drop the A-Bomb?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

What's the earliest the US can get involved?

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

No prob. The allies could always use a few more resources under their own control :devil: Feel free to post about whatever WWII era stuff we are talking about.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

If we're calling lucky pieces then I'll take the USS Ranger
She's with the Atlantic fleet in Norfolk.

Mortuus posted:

Since we're calling lucky chits I'm gonna go with the DKM Bismarck. Hopefully it lasts longer here than in real life.
She is under construction in the Hamburg port and is scheduled to be completed and launched at the start of the July/Aug 1940 turn. Just stay away from those damned British aircraft.

OperaMouse posted:

I would like to claim the 1. Gebirgsjaeger "Edelweiss" (1st German Mountaineer division).
Edit: if a division is too small, I take the whole Alpine corps.
And if land troops are too general or not named, I guess I want the German heavy cruiser Admiral Hipper.
Here you go:

Lynneth posted:

The Bismarck was claimed already?
Welp, I'd like the Battleship Tirpitz, then. Maybe it'll get out of harbour this time around.
She's half completed, sitting in the Hamburg construction pool

Saint Celestine posted:

This is the most complicated game I've ever seen. :catstare:

Is the 21st Panzer in this? I'll take that and watch someone else play it.
No, there are many armored corps units that have not been selected yet: XLVIII, DAK, XLI, XLVII, III, LVII, I/II/III SS, XLIX, XLVI, LII, XL, and several other mechanized corps. The specific armored divisions that have not been picked by someone are the 1st, 2nd, 1st SS, 10th SS, and the Hermann Goering division.

Cythereal posted:

If we're calling lucky chits, I suppose someone has to stick up for the Italians. Calling the battleship Andrea Doria.
She's in the Taranto port repair pool waiting repairs and upgrades. And no, we don't need separate supply for your pasta.

brb on fire posted:

This is horrifying. I'll be watching every step of the way. :getin:
For my lucky chit I'll take the the HQ-A Right Honourable Field Marshall Earl Wavell, the one man in the Middle East who is certfiably too old for this poo poo. Also a one eyed badass.
And no, I don't think missiles are worth it. But how can you not drop the A-Bomb?
Waiting in Alexandria for something to happen:

quote:

Also a one eyed badass.

quote:

Italy sent over a million men in the Italian Army to Libya. Wavell, with only 36,000 men, was easily outnumbered. On 13th September, 1940, Marshall Rodolfo Graziani and five Italian divisions began a rapid advance into Egypt but halted in front of the main British defences at Mersa Matruh.

Wavell ordered a British counter-offensive on 9th December, 1940. The Italians suffered heavy casualties and were pushed back more than 800km (500 miles). British troops moved along the coast and on 22nd January, 1941, they captured the port of Tobruk in Libya from the Italians.

:stare:

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Also, missiles really do not look like they are worth it, unless you drop tons of funds on a V-3 and an A-Bomb, but that looks difficult
And yes, missiles aren't really worth it. A-bombs may not be worth it: just the bare minimum needed to get the A-Bomb, even for the Commonwealth or the USA, I've calculated to be around 350 build points, and that includes if you roll 10's on all your research rolls. 350 build points is as as much as 60 armored corps units.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

What's the earliest the US can get involved?

The earliest I've seen is the March/April 1941 turn. I've seen examples of games where they don't get involved until early 1943. It just depends on how successful the Axis are in the early part of the war. (the US gets a large entry boost if an Axis land unit sets foot on Great Britain)

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 15, 2015

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Since someone called the Bismarck, I'm calling the HMS Hood. Hopefully that pesky British air cover can sink the Bismarck before she sinks the Hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

A White Guy posted:

Since someone called the Bismarck, I'm calling the HMS Hood. Hopefully that pesky British air cover can sink the Bismarck before she sinks the Hood.
good luck, watch out for the Kreigsmarine.