Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Nationalist and Communist China:china:

Here is the southern China theater:

Hainan and Canton have been conquered by Japan. The Chinese armies are setup around these hexes. China has a saved oil resource in Kunming. The Kunming warlord cannot be in any hex more than two away from its home city. It could attack into a third, but could not move into that hex.

The Burma Road:

The central China theater:

Japan has control of Wuhan, Hangchow, the mountain hex between them, hex 0233, and all hexes northeast. The Cheng-Tu warlord is the furthest it can be away from that city. The Chungking warlord and the 6th army are located in the hex west of Wuhan. Chiang’s HQ, the division, the Canton militia, and the I-16 aircraft are located southwest of Wuhan. The 1st Army, and the 13th Garrison are located in Chang-Sha, southwest of the mountain hex. The 14th Army is located southwest of Hang Chow. The 1 Cavalry unit is located in the hex south of Hang Chow.

The Communist China theater:

Japan controls the resource hex northeast of Chengchow, the mountain hex northeast of Si-An, the city Tai-Yuan northeast of that mountain hex, the mountain resource hex northwest of that city, and the desert hex northwest of that hex along the rail line. The artillery and the 1st army corps unit are in Chengchow. The 5th garrison army is in Si-An, Mao and the Lan-Chow warlord are in the hex northwest of Si-An. The Lan Chow militia is in the mountain hex. The Cavalry unit is in the desert hex surrounded by the river. The Lan Chow militia and Cavalry are both still in supply even though Japan controls the rail line. These units trace supply to Mao, then from Mao to Si-An.

China has 1 pilot in reserve. When building a Chinese unit (until Communist China is recognized by the USSR), the unit type chosen is out of the pool for both Communist and Nationalist units. The units must be built in the cities controlled by their side in China. Whenever Japan takes control of a city in China, there is a possible US entry chit that may be drawn. Nothing is in process of being built at the start for China.

Next is the Commonwealth

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Commonwealth Setup:britain::canada::australia:

The Commonwealth needs small groups of ships that can guard their convoys, and two or three large fleets that can handle the Germans, Italians, and possibly some Japanese ships.

All of these ships must start at Commonwealth ports on the Americas map.
The ships will start based from Bermuda:

The ships will start based in Halifax:

The two cruisers will start in St Johns will rebase back to Europe as soon as possible:

All of these ships must start on the Asia/Pacific map.
These ships will start in Singapore and will sail back to Europe as needed:

These ships will start in Perth, Australia:

All of these ships must start in bases in Europe, around the Mediterranean, or Africa.
These ships will start in Scapa Flow. Ships based in Scapa can move to either the North Sea or the Faeroes Gap.

These ships will start in Newcastle to support operations in the North Sea:

These ships will start in Gibraltar:

These ships start in Malta:

These ships start in Plymouth:

These ships will start in Liverpool and relegated to convoy duty. The carriers will be moved to other areas once better carrier aircraft are available.

The 16th Indian group and the ocean liners Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth will start in Calcutta (to transport the unit back to the UK). A territorial unit was drawn to start in Burma:

Wavell starts in Alexandria. The Commonwealth also drew two territorial units, one in Egypt, and one for Palestine.

Here are the Commonwealth units that are along the English Channel coast:

Plymouth has a shipyard for surface combat ships. The column with the transport, XV corps, Anson, and the Spitfire I, are in Southampton. The column with the C-47, artillery, Farley Battle, and Hurricane I, are in Portsmouth. The units and transport in the bottom right are in Dover. The Blenheim, Spitfire I, and the flak gun are in London. The two Whitleys and the Wellesley are in Harwich.

The Commonwealth units in Northern England:

There is a saved oil resource. There is also a synthetic oil plant. The two sub units are based in Glasgow. The 2nd division and the Swordfish are based in Hull. The spare convoy and tanker points are in Liverpool. A shipyard for surface combat ships is in Edinburgh.

The Commonwealth has a saved oil resource in Quebec and another saved oil resource in Singapore. The Commonwealth starts with 81 convoy points. Half of these at the start may be oil tankers. A maximum of 41 tankers can be setup at the start.

Canada will attempt to send 5 resources and 1 oil to England through 3 sea zones. That leaves 63 remaining. Venezuela will attempt to send 3 oil resources to England through 4 sea zones, 12 oil tankers for that route. There is an oil and resource from the British Guyana through 4 sea zones. That is 4 more oil tankers and 4 more convoys.

That leaves 44 convoys and a maximum of those can be 20 tankers.

South Africa will try to send 3 resources to England. That is through 5 sea zones using 15 convoy points. 29 points remain.
1 resource from Cyprus going to England through the Mediterranean through 4 sea zones which uses 4 convoys. 25 convoy points remain.
The Commonwealth is receiving 1 oil from Persia through the Mediterranean and through 7 sea zones. This uses 7 tanker points.

18 convoy points remain. 13 of those may be oil tankers.

Protect those western approaches by any means! (the sea boxes are just copied/pasted map images, they don't actually look bunched together like that)

India will attempt to ship 1 of their resources to England through 6 sea zones. This uses 6 convoys. Malaya will attempt to send 1 of the two resources there to England through 7 sea zones. There are 5 convoys remaining. 2 tanker points will transport 1 oil resource in the Dutch East Indies to store it in India. The commonwealth will keep 1 of those as an oil tanker and 2 regular convoy points to be kept in reserve in Liverpool.

Here is what is under construction in Portsmouth, Plymouth, and Liverpool:

The half-completed carriers in Portsmouth are the Formidable and Victorious. There are several ships that can be built in Plymouth. The half-completed battleships in Plymouth are King George V, Iron Duke, and Prince of Wales. The convoy points are being constructed in Liverpool.

Edinburgh production:

There are a few half-completed ships in Halifax:

There is one class 3 carrier plane in reserve. The cruiser Trinidad will be completed in Edinburgh in the March/April 1940 turn. A submarine will be half-completed in Glasgow in the Jan/Feb 1940 turn. 2 naval bombers will be completed in Manchester on the Nov/Dec 1939 turn. The Commonwealth starts with 10 pilots in reserve. The commonwealth drew two additional territorial units, one for central Africa in Uganda and one in New Zealand.
The ships are placed on their specific maps based on the theaters they can start and how I thought they would best help protect convoys and to counter any German or possible Italian threat at the start. They may be re-based and re-organized later as the war needs.

When lending build points or resources and building units, the Commonwealth controlled major countries, UK, India, Canada, South Africa, Australia; can either lend their resources or build points to each other or to Britain or use them themselves. If the other countries choose to produce their own units, the must be either given build points, or produce the build points on their own. The production multiple for all Commonwealth countries is what is listed on the production multiple table for their specific year and modifiers. There are units that have an abbreviation for their specific Commonwealth country, those units must be built in that specific Commonwealth country. All Commonwealth countries may build pilots, convoy points, or oil tanker convoy points that may be used by all Commonwealth countries.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 28, 2015

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

France:france:

The French battleship fleet based in Marseilles:

The French carrier task force based in Brest:

There are two submarine units, a saved convoy, a transport, and shipyard for surface combat ships located in Marseilles:

The French navy has the La Motte-Picquet based in Diego Suarez in Madagascar:

Here is the French army in northern France along the Belgian border and behind the Maginot Line:

The motorized and Alpine unit is in the hex SW of Lille. Billotte’s HQ, the division, and artillery are in the same hex. The 4-3 and 6-4 infantry are in the hex with the D500. Georges’ HQ, the 5-4, and the 105mm artillery are in the same hex. The Amiot bomber, the D510, and the cavalry unit are in Metz. The MS405 and the garrison are in Strasbourg. The other two units are in the remaining hexes behind the forts. Paris has the flak gun. The Latécoère seaplane will start in Le Havre.

France has an infantry unit that starts in Algeria:

France has an infantry unit that starts in Syria:

These will be transported to France as soon as possible.

France has 10 convoy points available at the start. They are using 3 of those to transport 1 resource from Senegal to France across 3 sea zones. 1 convoy is at sea in moving the resource from Algeria to France. 5 are used as tanker points to transport 1 oil resource from Iraq trough 5 sea zones to France. 1 convoy is in reserve. France draws 2 territorial at the start of the game. One of these is in Syria, the other in New Caledonia. France has a resource in New Caledonia that is not transported anywhere. France has a saved oil resource in Lyon. France has 5 pilots in reserve.

Next will be Japan

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 27, 2015

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I would like to be a Spitfire please

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

biosterous posted:

I would like to be a Spitfire please
based in London at the start, right in the thickest of poo poo.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
I'd like to be anything from Tito's Yugoslavia. So please, no unit from Kingdom of Yugoslavia.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

so i see that the commonwealth has extra convoy/oil transport points and france has an extra resource they can't transport. could france and the commonwealth negotiate a trade to balance that out, or will something in-game happen to unify the allies that way? also, do you have any control over where you draw your territorial units and how much does that shape your strategy in this game? thanks and looking forward to japan's chits

edit: show me your chits baby

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
F3F in 1939 :yikes:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I don't think you've said - who's actually playing these countries?

Edit: Actually, curious. Why would the various African corps get shipped home? There are a few resources in Africa, are they simply not worth the bother?

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 28, 2015

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

This chit must get eaten alive

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Japan:japan:

The Japanese large battleship squad and a light carrier to support them (the carrier plane will receive an upgraded carrier plane unit as soon as possible):

They will be based in Taihoku to support possible amphibious landings around East Asia.

The Akagi task force will start in Tokyo.

The Kaga task force will start in Tokyo.

The Soryu task force will start in Fukuoka.

The Ryujo task force will start in Fukuoka.

The Hiryu task force will start in Ominato.

Japan has the following setup in Manchuria at the start:

The Teracuhi HQ and 2 Motorized, are in Port Arthur and will be moving to the Chinese front.

Japan has these units against the Communist Chinese:

The 5-4 corps and 1-4 division are in the mountain hex east of Mao. The 105mm artillery, the 11th corps, and the Mary are in the hex east of there with the resource. The 70mm artillery, Umechi HQ, and the Nate are in the hex east of the 1st Communist Chinese corps unit.

Japan has these units against the Nationalists:

The Sonia, the 5-2 Nagoya militia, and 2nd division are in Wuhan. The 3-1 garrison is in Shanghai. The Nell is in Nanking. The other Sonia and the Nate are in the hex with 27th corps unit southwest of Shanghai. The 18th corps is in the coastal hex northeast of the Cavalry.

The areas of southern China:

The Marine division is in Hainan. The 4-1 garrison is in Canton.

The home islands of Japan:

A naval bomber is based in Fusan and another in Niigata. The Tokyo militia and a transport are in Hiroshima. There is a shipyard for surface combat ships in Osaka. Nagoya has the transport, amphibious unit, the two marine units, and the anti-tank unit. Tokyo has a shipyard for carriers, the two submarines, another transport, Yamamoto HQ, and the engineer. Japan has 3 oil resources saved in Japan and 1 oil resource saved in Shanghai. Japan also has a synthetic oil resource also.

The Idzumo and the captured Ping Hai will base in Tsing-tao, China.

Japan has a total of 20 convoys at the game start. 10 of these are needed to complete the Japan-USA trade agreement:

Japan needs 4 of the remaining 10 transport the oil from the Dutch East Indies to Japan, and the remaining 6 to transport resources from Hainan, Taiwan, and mainland Asia to Japan:

Japan has a total of 6 factories they can use in mainland Asia (2 red factories in China, 2 red factories in Manchuria, 1 red and 1 green in Korea, and 2 more red in Canton if they choose to send resources there). Japan can move a possible 5 of those to Japan, and can use the red factories for the remaining 3 to build units in Asia.

Production in the Tokyo port:

Since the carrier shipyard is in Tokyo, Japan will try to construction construct carriers there. The face down unit in the 2 box is the Zuikakau. The large carrier half-completed in the construction pool is the Shokaku. The others are light carriers.

Production in the Osaka port:

The face down unit in the 6 box is the Yamato.

Japan has a submarine in Nagoya that will be half-completed in the Nov/Dec 1939 turn. Japan has 6 pilots in reserve and will receive an offensive chit in the March/Apr 1940 turn.

Next is the last setup prior to the war start, Germany.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Jesenjin posted:

I'd like to be anything from Tito's Yugoslavia. So please, no unit from Kingdom of Yugoslavia.
You can have Tito's unit:

There is a special rule for both his unit and for Zoya's Russian partisan unit. They are partisan HQ units. Whenever two partisan units are placed on the map in the same hex, (in Tito's case: Yugoslavia, in Zoya's case: the USSR), their units may be placed on the map instead. They are treated as a Yugoslav or USSR infantry HQ, they do not need oil to reorganize and are always in supply in their home country. If they are destroyed in combat, they are removed from the game until two partisans are placed in the same hex again in their respective country. They both become available in 1942.

oystertoadfish posted:

so i see that the commonwealth has extra convoy/oil transport points and france has an extra resource they can't transport. could france and the commonwealth negotiate a trade to balance that out, or will something in-game happen to unify the allies that way? also, do you have any control over where you draw your territorial units and how much does that shape your strategy in this game? thanks and looking forward to japan's chits

edit: show me your chits baby
Once the Commonwealth and France declare war on Germany in their first impulse of the game, they can lend and transport each other's resources with each other's convoys or tankers as well as their own. They do need enough convoys to move the resource through all the required sea zones to where they want to transport it.

The territorial units at the start are random. But once the game starts, a nation can choose from which area they want to draw a territorial unit from. They are treated like normal infantry units, but have advantages if fighting combat within their own territory.

I only see F4Fs on the map right now for the USA, no F3F bi-planes.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

This chit must get eaten alive
Tell the IJN to do their goddamn job when I make the die rolls.

Gamerofthegame posted:

I don't think you've said - who's actually playing these countries?

Edit: Actually, curious. Why would the various African corps get shipped home? There are a few resources in Africa, are they simply not worth the bother?
I am going to run things. But each nation will always take advice from their commanders in the field if they have reasonable suggestions for an objective or plan.
France has no land threat in Africa until the Italians enter the war, at minimum. They will need every unit possible in France to try and stop the Germans, and even then, that is likely to not be enough.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 28, 2015

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

will_colorado posted:

I am going to run things. But each nation will always take advice from their commanders in the field if they have reasonable suggestions for an objective or plan.

The good old "jesus christ thread shut up about iceland" method of running things, eh?

Well!

:italy:

Our trains certainly never ran on time, but our conquest of the world certainly will!

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
He means the F3F chit on the Béarn.

I've seen bits of this game be played. With strategical hindsight (not tactical, German units were not that superior, if French doctrines could have been corrected...) France stopping Germany is more likely than historical with players of even skill on both sides, but it is very hard.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 28, 2015

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

The good old "jesus christ thread shut up about iceland" method of running things, eh?

Well!

Our trains certainly never ran on time, but our conquest of the world certainly will!

Okay, that Iceland quote made me laugh more than it should have.

Readingaccount posted:

He means the F3F chit on the Béarn.

I've seen bits of this game be played. With strategical hindsight (not tactical, German units were not that superior, if French doctrines could have been corrected...) France stopping Germany is more likely than historical with players of even skill on both sides, but it is very hard.

Oh, thanks. Just noticed it was that, myself. In the few games I've seen, I have never seen France stop the Germans. I guess a success would just be holding them off until even one turn later than historical.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 28, 2015

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Yeah, I could be flat out wrong, it was a long time ago. Some players thought France might have a small chance if the weather is really bad, and Germany/Italy prioritize other targets first and the allies go all-out on holding France. Though if it can even work it would mean huge territorial losses around the Mediterranean at the very least.

Btw., is the Ark Royal on the map? I can't seem to find it.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 28, 2015

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Readingaccount posted:

Yeah, I could be flat out wrong, it was a long time ago. Some players thought France might have a small chance if the weather is really bad, and Germany/Italy prioritize other targets first and the allies go all-out on holding France. Though if it can even work it would mean huge territorial losses around the Mediterranean at the very least.

Btw., is the Ark Royal on the map? I can't seem to find it.

She is in Plymouth with the ships here:

If the weather is complete and utter rear end, the French have a much better shot a surviving. The last game I played, once we got into the middle '43, the Allied player tried to invade one or two hexes in western France, and they got stuck into basically WWI level type static warfare, with the German side firing artillery and ground striking with aircraft that prevented them from moving.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 28, 2015

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Germany

First is the Kriegsmarine, which will start in Kiel:

The two pocket battleships will cover the Baltic from Stettin:

The German units along the Dutch/Belgian border:

Von Leeb’s HQ and the BF-109E1 are in Essen. The flak gun is in Düsseldorf. The XXXV and the Stuka are in Cologne. The transport plane is in Hanover.

The German units opposite the Maginot Line:

The BF-109 E4, the XXXIII Infantry and the fortification is in Saarbrucken. The fortification is against the French hex sides. The XLIX Mountain unit and the Stuka are in Karlsruhe. The LXIII and the JU-86 are in Stuttgart. The two garrison units sit across the Rhine from the remaining French units.

The units in northern Germany:

The fortification is facing the northwest sea side in the hex west of Bremen. The other fortification is facing the west sea side hex in hex 0739. The XLV infantry unit is also in this same hex. The seaplane is based in Bremen. The flak gun, Bf-109 EF, amphibious, transport, and the 5-1 garrison are in Kiel. The three subs are in Hamburg. There is a shipyard for surface combat ships in Kiel and a shipyard for subs in Hamburg. Germany has a missile research site in the hex east of Rostock.

Germany has 3 convoy points in the Baltic to transport the 3 resources they are getting from Sweden. 8 convoy points are in reserve in Stettin.

Units around Berlin:

The two bi-plane units will be put into reserve as soon as possible. Germany has 3 saved oil resources at the start in Dresden. Germany has two synthetic oil resources at the start. The 3rd division is in Berlin.

Removed the Czech units and changed the placement around the Polish border:

German submarines under production in the Hamburg port:

Production in the Kiel port:

All of the German auxiliary cruisers just need to be repaired to be seaworthy. The half-completed carrier is the Grap-Zeppelin. The Tirpitz is also half completed and face down.

Germany starts the game with 12 pilots in reserve. It starts the game also with 1 offensive chit. 1 additional pilot and another offensive chit will be completed in the Nov/Dec 1939 turn.

Remaining production:

The VII SS corps and the bomber will be completed in Essen in Jan/Feb 1940. The HG tank division will be completed in Dusseldorf then. The anti-tank unit and the paratroop corps are in Munich.

And that should be all major countries and their aligned minor countries at the start. The remaining minor countries will be setup once they are aligned or get involved in the war. Poland will be setup in the turn when Germany declares war on them.

quote:

Sir, a message from Headquarters:
31 August 1939. 1900.

Message to commanders is designated areas:

Fall Weiß is to proceed at 0445 tomorrow.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 31, 2015

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Will, I don't mean to be annoying but I'm fairly certain that you got the Czechoslovak setup wrong. Those units are not meant to be there, I think. Aside from the historical perspective - the Czechoslovak army was disbanded after the country was occupied by Germany, and certainly didn't fight at the German side (well maybe aside of the Slovaks) - there's also the issue of game balance. Those are some beefy units there, and they'd make Germany considerably stronger than it is supposed to be.

Those chits are in fact meant to represent a Fall Grün scenario where Czechoslovakia defends against Germany in force.

If you go to the official World in Flames website and download the Scenario Setup Information, there is a rule precisely for this scenario. On page 3, under "24.1.5 Sorting out the counters", if you read a bit to the next page, there is this part:

quote:

Set aside these units for now:
ï all Austrian and Czechoslovakian units (these are only used in games of Days of Decision);
ï units with an availability date on their back that is later than the game’s starting year. They will become available later (see 4.1.1);
ï units that name a city on their back that you don’t control. They will become available when you control that city (see 4.1.2);
ï units that list a major power on their back (e.g. “Ge”) that you are not at war with. These units will become available when you are at war with that major power (see 4.1.2);
ï all MIL and ‘Res’ units if you start the game as a neutral major power. These units become available when you are at war with another major power (see 4.1.2); and
ï the HQ-A Tuchachevsky from all scenarios starting after 1936.

I'm trying to understand if I'm looking at a wrong file or anything, but I don't think so. Don't these rules apply for us, are we using a different scenario or is this simply an outdated rulebook?

EDIT: Also found this in the Clarifications:

Under 2.5, Control:

quote:

Q: I am confused by control. Austria and Czechoslovakia appear to be sovereign countries on the WiFFE map. I can’t find any reference to them in the index or the rules that would indicate they are part of Germany. In fact in some - but not all! - of the 1939 start scenarios, Czech. is “aligned” with Germany - does this mean Germany gets the Czech army units?

Ans: Austria is part of the German home country. Czechoslovakia is aligned with Germany, but unlike all other aligned 19 minors, you don’t get any Czech units. This is quite clearly stated on pg. 101, “The World Order of Battle” (the little asterisk note in the bottom right corner). I don’t know how you missed it. Date: 18/12/96

Sorry for nitpicking, but this is a matter of grognardy preciseness!

However, I have to admire the zeal of them getting annoyed at the player for not having noticed the little asterisk note in the bottom right corner of pg. 101! It's so obvious, jeesh!

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 29, 2015

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

markus_cz posted:

Will, I don't mean to be annoying but I'm fairly certain that you got the Czechoslovak setup wrong. Those units are not meant to be there, I think. Aside from the historical perspective - the Czechoslovak army was disbanded after the country was occupied by Germany, and certainly didn't fight at the German side (well maybe aside of the Slovaks) - there's also the issue of game balance. Those are some beefy units there, and they'd make Germany considerably stronger than it is supposed to be.

Those chits are in fact meant to represent a Fall Grün scenario where Czechoslovakia defends against Germany in force.

If you go to the official World in Flames website and download the Scenario Setup Information, there is a rule precisely for this scenario. On page 3, under "24.1.5 Sorting out the counters", if you read a bit to the next page, there is this part:

I'm trying to understand if I'm looking at a wrong file or anything, but I don't think so. Don't these rules apply for us, are we using a different scenario or is this simply an outdated rulebook?

EDIT: Also found this in the Clarifications:

Under 2.5, Control:

Sorry for nitpicking, but this is a matter of grognardy preciseness!

However, I have to admire the zeal of them getting annoyed at the player for not having noticed the little asterisk note in the bottom right corner of pg. 101! It's so obvious, jeesh!

This game really does bring out the sperg in all of us.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

markus_cz posted:

The scenario here is not one of the ones listed there. Those clarification questions are from at least 4 rule sets in the past. This full scenario is in one of the updated magazines produced from the early 2000's that allows units from all sets of the game to be played together. This is why the game can go through the end of 1950. The rules for the scenario state that Austria is part of the German home country, which is why no Austrian units. It states that Czechoslovakia is a minor nation aligned to Germany at the start of the scenario (the same minor nation rules apply as other nations that may be aligned with a major power in the future; Belgium or the Netherlands with either the Commonwealth or France, Rumania with Germany, Brazil or Mexico with the USA, etc.) It is not a conquered country in the same manner as Ethiopia has been conquered by Italy (no units of a conquered country may be built by the conquering nation).

Top Hats Monthly posted:

This game really does bring out the sperg in all of us.

so very much so.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 30, 2015

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
I'm pretty sure that markus_cz is correct. Czechoslovakia is aligned so that Germany can use the blue factories there, and so the Allies cannot liberate it separately. That does not mean that Germany gets any of the Czech units. At least, that's how it worked in every version of the game I ever played, and matches the actual history.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
And to clarify, I am including the scenario that runs to 1950 and has the western allies fighting the russians after the historical war. Basically to use the Czech (and Austrian) units you have to play a scenario that starts before 1939.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Arrion posted:

I'm pretty sure that markus_cz is correct. Czechoslovakia is aligned so that Germany can use the blue factories there, and so the Allies cannot liberate it separately. That does not mean that Germany gets any of the Czech units. At least, that's how it worked in every version of the game I ever played, and matches the actual history.

There are no blue factories there, only red factories. It will be played as it's currently setup per this scenario info I have. Austria is what is showing as part of Germany, no Austrian units.

Arrion posted:

And to clarify, I am including the scenario that runs to 1950 and has the western allies fighting the russians after the historical war. Basically to use the Czech (and Austrian) units you have to play a scenario that starts before 1939.

That's what I'm looking at too. It states it is aligned with Germany, not part of Germany.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Arrion posted:

Yeah, unless this is a special scenario I have never heard of. The only time I have used the Czech counters was when playing with the 1936 Days of Decision and Britain and France both blocked the annexation and the Czechs fought the Germans with their allies honoring their agreements. That game ended for the Germans in 1938. Italy sought an alliance with the Soviets and Japan was very cautious, hoping the Soviets would start a war in Europe so the Japanese could snap up the Pacific while the United States was busy elsewhere.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

will_colorado posted:

That's what I'm looking at too. It states it is aligned with Germany, not part of Germany.

It is aligned and you get the factories but unless it is a special scenario where the Czechs joined the Germans voluntarily you do not get the military.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Xenocides posted:

It is aligned and you get the factories but unless it is a special scenario where the Czechs joined the Germans voluntarily you do not get the military.

Okay, I'll exclude them and treat it as a liberate-able nation if that's what everyone says that's how they are setup. Anyone object to that change?

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 30, 2015

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Removed the Czech units:

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I can sleep easily now ;)

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

September/October 1939, start of turn.

US Entry totals: The US has two entry markers against Germany/Italy: 2, 5. The US has one entry marker against Japan: 2.

Reinforcements: no nation has reinforcements at the start of this turn

Lending of oil/resources/build points (if short the required number convoys/no supply path is available at the end of the turn, resources given are lost):
USA: trade agreement with Japan, they will send Japan 2 oil and 2 resources, and receive 1 build point in return. Philippines are sending 1 resource to the USA. Venezuela sending 3 oil to the USA.
USSR: trade agreement with USSR, sending Germany 5 resources and 2 oil, and receiving 2 build points in return.
China: none (US Entry option has not been played yet)
France: Iraq sending 1 oil to France. Algeria sending 1 resource to France. Senegal sending 1 resource to France.
Italy:1 resource from Sardinia. 1 oil from Rumania. (Germany and Italy can give each other build points/resources/oil once Italy at war)
Japan: trade agreement with the USA, receiving 2 oil and 2 resources and sending 1 build point. 2 oil from the Netherlands East Indies to Japan. 1 resource from Hainan to Japan. 1 resource form Formosa to Japan. 3 resources from China to Japan. (2 of the resources in Manchuria will go to the factories in Mukden. The other resource and the resource in Korea will go to PyongYang and Seoul)
Commonwealth: Canada sending 5 resources and 1 oil to England. Venezuela sending 3 oil to England. British Guyana sending 1 oil and 1 resource to England. Cyprus sending 1 resource to England. South Africa sending 3 resources to England. Persia sending 1 oil to England. India sending 1 resource to England. Malaya sending 1 resource to England. Netherlands East Indies sending 1 oil to India. India has 3 remaining resources and 3 factories it can use. Australia has 3 resources remaining and 1 factory it can use.
Germany: Trade agreement with USSR, receiving 5 resources and 2 oil, sending 1 build point to USSR. Sweden sending 3 resources to Germany. Hungary sending 1 resource to Germany. Receiving 1 oil from Austria. Czechoslovakia sending 1 resource to Germany. Turkey sending 1 resource to Germany.

Initiative: The Axis have the initiative at the start. The Axis currently have +2 for their initiative die rolls.

quote:

We are getting scattered reports of German movement along our western border.............................

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 31, 2015

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Well, uh, I guess if we're doing this;

Rush down Malta, ultimately take Gibraltar at all costs

Mediterranean kings.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
:911:

I call being the Supreme Leader, King if you will, of America!

As King, I think should avoid sending our precious resources to europe and instead Build Carriers, ships and subs.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
:britain: Advice to High Command: Aggressively defend the Mediterranean, engaging at sea if the situation is favorable or even (port strikes are to be considered of course, but should be secondary to a warm welcome to any maneuvers the Italians voluntarily makes in the open sea, in particular offensive Italian maneuvers). Our outposts in the Mediterranean must be protected.
I hereby request the Ark Royal and Plymouth Battlegroup set sail to reinforce the Mediterranean Theater for patrol duty from the Gibraltar to the Suez.

I also advice that we reinforce the land forces in Egypt and engage the Italians in Libya.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 31, 2015

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i'll transubstantiate into japan and say don't build the yamato and musashi, use the time and resources on building up the naval air force. maybe i'll have to more to say after a turn or two, mostly i guess japan is mucking around in china for the next few turns anyway

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
:japan:

I say that Japan should ignore the navy cowards and their metal boxes and focus on building up our Army. We're an island nation after all, we won't really need a navy.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Hmmmm, you set a brilliant example for us Sir. Maybe I should look up old-timey newspapers for exhortations on good ideas.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 31, 2015

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

will_colorado posted:

Yes, until they are at war with Germany.

Pick a unit and :getin:

Field Marshall Zhukov.

quote:

The USSR can get utterly steamrolled if they are in poor defensive positions, like leaving infantry alone in clear hexes, not getting behind rivers and in forests for defensive bonus, etc. Here is what the Germans did to the Russians in the game I was playing with a friend a couple of years ago:
Germans around Moscow:

Germans cutting off the southern parts of the Red Army in the southern Ukraine from the rest:

This is in March/April 1943.

Hahaha, yeah, that's more likely where you end up with your rear end in the wind. You are doing the d10 rules (as opposed to the 2d10) and oil (gas?) rules, right?

Also,
:ussr:
Time to slowly rail some more (Siberian corps?) bodies to Leningrad and pretend that Finland really wants to give us that swamp right around there.

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 31, 2015

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
:france:

We're going to need as many soldiers and equipment as possible to defend the homeland. Algeria should be put on alert while Syria's units should return home posthaste. Our ship in Madagascar should be ready to move towards Italian Ethiopia while the Mediterranean fleet needs to be ready to sally and fight the Italian Navy, with our sub's ready to blockade any major Italian port. The carrier fleet should stand ready to assist the Brits.

What does Frence production look like by any chance?

NormalCat
Mar 25, 2006
:france:

Agreed. We should also build as many armoured divisions as possible, I hear it's the future of modern warfare or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
:ussr:
The German invasion is a ruse. Attack Japan, the real threat to International Communism.