Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

rejutka posted:

Scott for whorey sark.

Stonebridge for laser-focus deathbeast.

Buddy.

to be fair, it's not Scott that's a whore, It's Sully

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWIIiXx8O8U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
So when Strike Back ends this year (:(), can the boys pick up their roadtrip where they left off, and maybe show up in a certain small town with big secrets?

(I still remember watching the first season of Banshee and not being able to get over how Hood is like Cinemax couldn't decide if they liked Scott or Stonebridge better, so they just made a clone of them both and gave him a show. Hood's real last name is Scottbridge.)

edit: VVVV loving YES.

KatWithHands fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 28, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

KatWithHands posted:

So when Strike Back ends this year (:(), can the boys pick up their roadtrip where they left off, and maybe show up in a certain small town with big secrets?

(I still remember watching the first season of Banshee and not being able to get over how Hood is like Cinemax couldn't decide if they liked Scott or Stonebridge better, so they just made a clone of them both and gave him a show. Hood's real last name is Scottbridge.)

When Banshee ends, Antony Starr should walk straight into this costume.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Rocksicles posted:

When Banshee ends, Antony Starr should walk straight into this costume.

poo poo yes. Starr even looks like a younger Ray Stevenson, that's basically canon right there

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

rejutka posted:

Good call, buddy.

KatWithHands posted:

Come back with a trip report when you're done, buddy.

Honestly, since I started watching Strike Back, I can't read the word 'buddy' without hearing it in his voice.

Buddies.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Greg Yaitanes has endorsed a Banshee recap: http://blacknerdproblems.com/site/banshee-a-fixer-of-sorts/

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

hahaha beautiful

"Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo let them Rics Flair man"

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013
So is Strike Back actually good? The first 2 episodes were included with my blu Ray of Banshee season 1. I started episode one and thought it was pretty bad. Someone sell me.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yes for goodness sake for the millionth time Strike Back is very very good. It's awesome action movie action all the time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

G-Whizard posted:

So is Strike Back actually good? The first 2 episodes were included with my blu Ray of Banshee season 1. I started episode one and thought it was pretty bad. Someone sell me.

Note that the first season of Strike Back (when the series was still made in britain exclusively and not by Cinemax) is very, very different in tone to the point of being almost a different show altogether. I'm not sure which season the Banshee bluray takes its episodes from, but if it's the first you might just wanna consider skipping straight to season 2. It has a new set of protagonists and isn't really connected to the first season at all.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Perestroika posted:

Note that the first season of Strike Back (when the series was still made in britain exclusively and not by Cinemax) is very, very different in tone to the point of being almost a different show altogether. I'm not sure which season the Banshee bluray takes its episodes from, but if it's the first you might just wanna consider skipping straight to season 2. It has a new set of protagonists and isn't really connected to the first season at all.

I got the same DVD. It's the first two episodes of the Cinemax run.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
So, episode 4. Probably my favorite episode title of the whole run: Real Life Is the Nightmare. Simple, maybe more of a 13-year-old's idea of "dark and edgy" than something that's legitimately that way, but what can I say? I get chills just reading it.

quote:

Siobhan is torn between exposing Lucas and keeping his secret; Brock learns that his ex, Emily, is working as a caregiver for Proctor's mom; Chayton readies his army for an assault.

While you wait for that, Cinemax has Jason Bateman's Bad Words premiering at 8:30 EST. And while you wait for that, something to chew on:

I tried to get some of my friends and acquaintances into this show by showing them Hood vs. Sanchez. One of them liked the tension of the scene, but complained that it was unrealistic. In particular, he cited "no one in the audience helped him, plus he started the assault."

I mean, I've already written him off as a lost cause, but just for shits and giggles...thoughts?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
If he's worrying about realism during Banshee, he's already hosed up

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Soothing Vapors posted:

If he's worrying about realism during Banshee, he's already hosed up

This plus, frankly, I've been attacked a couple of times in the street and people used not to help you at all and now they just whip out their phone and start recording so it really doesn't strike me as the most unrealistic thing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DivisionPost posted:

So, episode 4. Probably my favorite episode title of the whole run: Real Life Is the Nightmare. Simple, maybe more of a 13-year-old's idea of "dark and edgy" than something that's legitimately that way, but what can I say? I get chills just reading it.

While you wait for that, Cinemax has Jason Bateman's Bad Words premiering at 8:30 EST. And while you wait for that, something to chew on:

I tried to get some of my friends and acquaintances into this show by showing them Hood vs. Sanchez. One of them liked the tension of the scene, but complained that it was unrealistic. In particular, he cited "no one in the audience helped him, plus he started the assault."

I mean, I've already written him off as a lost cause, but just for shits and giggles...thoughts?

End your friendship with these people that don't like Banshee :colbert:

Or fight them Lucas Hood style :twisted:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

rejutka posted:

This plus, frankly, I've been attacked a couple of times in the street and people used not to help you at all and now they just whip out their phone and start recording so it really doesn't strike me as the most unrealistic thing.

Yeah this. Unless you point at one person and tell them to help no one will do a drat thing.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

People don't want to get their hands broken in half, made sense to me no one jumped in to help the MMA guy

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm going to be pissed if they kill off Siobhan, and yet that's the only place I see this next episode going. gently caress.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

C'mon Hood, how could you loving miss at that range. :commissar:

Next episode is going to be loving crazy. Kill em all Chayton!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Perestroika posted:

I suffered through season 1, the 2 pilot episodes are probably the best. Rhona Mitra joins in season 2, making it a proper B action movie.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

C'mon Hood, how could you loving miss at that range. :commissar:

Next episode is going to be loving crazy. Kill em all Chayton!

Every time Hood and Proctor clash it is metal as gently caress.

I am terrified Siobhan is going to get dead now.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
As soon as they showed some random people at the police station I thought Assault on Precinct Banshee and it sure as hell delivered. The next one will probably be the 'so many squibs' one that was mentioned. And then it's just episode 5, what the hell can they do the rest of the season unless it's the station siege in real time ?

Loved the opening Cinemax engine roar replaced by the sound of the badge spinning. They do so many interesting things with standard openings.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
You know what's sad? This show has a multipage thread and Ray Donovan had no thread what so ever.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sell it here, go.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ray Donovan had potential to be interesting with him being a fixer of messes for the rich and powerful, but wasted it all on dumb family poo poo no one gives a gently caress about. At least for season 1. I never bothered to check on 2.

CeeJee posted:

Assault on Precinct Banshee

I bet this is how Neo-nazi(he's a neo nazi that looks like Keanu :downsrim:) proves himself and gets the job. That or Siobhan / Raven / Lotus die and he gets their spot by default.
Also Proctor is totally going to gently caress the poo poo out of Lotus's ex wife.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

You know what's sad? This show has a multipage thread and Ray Donovan had no thread what so ever.

banshee is actually good

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

am0kgonzo posted:

banshee is actually good

Yeah, Ray Donovan is on my to watch list but don't be talking smack about my Banshee. I've been telling a lot of people it is now a must watch show. Also, The Affair is showtimes best show right now. What a hell of a first season.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Soothing Vapors posted:

I am terrified Siobhan is going to get dead now.

I think it's at least as likely that things go to hell so much next week that Siobhan realizes that they need Hood around one way or another.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

hcreight posted:

I think it's at least as likely that things go to hell so much next week that Siobhan realizes that they need Hood around one way or another.

That's what I'm hoping for. I'd much rather see Siobhan wrestle with knowing and keeping the secret, even as Hood keeps doing dirt, because either alternative -- be it Hood's departure or outright exposure -- would be disastrous. I hate when stories kill off love interests to generate motivation.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
gf fell asleep during banshee last night, most def going to break up b/c of this

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was going to complain about the product placement, but then they show the characters balking at the price, then going back to steal the overpriced product later on.

Then even later on when the character is dropping off the stolen thing, you get a closeup and it is the Day One Edition of the game further cementing the ice burn since it is still overpriced 2 years later. Anti product placement?

A bit of a slow burn after last week's episode but I liked seeing Niece and Attack Dog team up and get poo poo done. They seem like a good power couple.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ray Donovan had potential to be interesting with him being a fixer of messes for the rich and powerful, but wasted it all on dumb family poo poo no one gives a gently caress about. At least for season 1. I never bothered to check on 2.

Season 2 is more of the same. 'Hey we've got a couple of powerhouse actors in Liev Schreiber and Jon Voight, why don't we have a bunch of crappy child actors on screen as much as possible? Also let's write the wife character using as many TV tropes as possible.'

Did anyone else cringe during the 'I keep waking up from the dream to realize it's real life that's become the nightmare' speech? I could not believe that was real.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 31, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yo, that weird ReformoNazi is in there too!

Anyone who does the top button up and no tie, is not to be trusted.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Former Nazi guy is going to end up saving the day. Also hope Siobhan doesn't get killed because it's actually an interesting dynamic between the two now. Although if she does die, Hood is going to go medieval.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Former Nazi guy is going to end up saving the day. Also hope Siobhan doesn't get killed because it's actually an interesting dynamic between the two now. Although if she does die, Hood is going to go medieval.

Her dying will push him into finishing both Proctor and the Red Bones. Not to mention finishing off the test of the military thieving. No one is gonna make it out of this season.

I truly, TRULY, hope that we never find out who Hood really is.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man

Solice Kirsk posted:

Her dying will push him into finishing both Proctor and the Red Bones. Not to mention finishing off the test of the military thieving. No one is gonna make it out of this season.

Yeah, I was so sure he was gonna say something stupid like "Hi Siobhan I'm Benedict" and started thinking how that would ruin everything forever. Glad it never happened, best fake sheriff ever.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Solice Kirsk posted:

He tried to finish Proctor this ep. He missed. :colbert:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I am only commenting because it happened back to back with the shows I watched... If you are going to threaten someone with the gun, why isn't it loaded. Every time, for dramatic effect, they cycle the slide/pump the shotgun... Loading the round.

I love this show and its competent consultants, but Christ this gets my goat. It happened in 12 monkeys too.. Supposedly the guys are on patrol,gonna shoot at any time, but no, he had to pump a shotgun to be dramatic.

/rant off

This was a slow episode comparatively, but my wife wonders, if hood is such a great fighter, why does proctor give him such a run for his money?

Also that miss :/

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Roundboy posted:

I am only commenting because it happened back to back with the shows I watched... If you are going to threaten someone with the gun, why isn't it loaded. Every time, for dramatic effect, they cycle the slide/pump the shotgun... Loading the round.

I love this show and its competent consultants, but Christ this gets my goat. It happened in 12 monkeys too.. Supposedly the guys are on patrol,gonna shoot at any time, but no, he had to pump a shotgun to be dramatic.

/rant off

This was a slow episode comparatively, but my wife wonders, if hood is such a great fighter, why does proctor give him such a run for his money?

Proctor is a badass as well. We've seen him working out on his Mook Yan Jong (wooden dummy) which is often used by Wing Chun practitioners as well as other styles of Kung Fu and Karate. Wing Chun is especially well suited for close quarter fighting with a lot of trapping, redirection, smothering, etc which makes him well suited as an opponent for Hood's style of fighting. /martial arts nerd

I reckon as we go along we'll see more of his skill as Proctor and Burton will hopefully make it to the end of the series for a big balls out super battle royale with Hood.

I have a feeling that there will be an uneasy alliance between everyone in the police station vs Chayton and his gang. Aside from the Native Americans in the jail, everyone there has a reason to side with Hood to at least make it through the assault alive. The former skinhead will likely prove his worth since he wants to be on the police force. Not sure about the random people that came in asking to see Hood. Are they special in some way? I may have missed something with regard to them.

BTW, where was Burton during the Hood/Proctor brawl?

Goddamn I love this show so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Roundboy posted:

Looked to me like Proctor knocked the gun out of the way in time. Hood comes in very angry and this makes him take a brazen, bad approach at killing him. Pointing a gun up so close that Proctor had time to react and disrupt the shot.

• Locked thread