Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Banshee is a show that dares you to log onto Tumblr and complain about it. Its treatment of women, while not overtly terrible, is a little suspect. Its violence and sexual content goes so far over the top, some of it has not yet returned from Earth's orbit. There is barely any thematic heft, zero commentary on the human condition. And in a post-Ferguson world, a story where the protagonist is a violent thief who poses as a small town sheriff and lays down the law however the gently caress he likes should make us all a little queasy.

None of that poo poo matters, though. You know why? Because it's loving

From the jump, Banshee casts itself apart from every other conversation people are having about TV right now. It immediately disassociates from the prestige of Mad Men, The Sopranos, and Friday Night Lights. Nor does it ride on the sleek, thrilling superheroics of Arrow, The Flash, or even 24. Banshee instead finds kinship with the rogue grit and cheap thrills of films like Commando, Road House, Cobra, and maybe a little bit of A Better Tomorrow. Banshee takes that aesthetic, gives it a few modern twists (antihero as protagonist) and quirks (the primary antagonist is an Amish exile turned gangster), and presents it without discretion or apology. In a world of gloss, sophistication, and candy sweetness, each episode of Banshee is a fifth of Jack that you slam straight down your gullet.

I mean, you could criticize it. You may even get respect for criticizing it. But honestly, unless some of the material hits way too close to home for you (there is a lot of rape and sexual assault in the first season), you might as well enjoy it because there's just too goddamn much to enjoy. Besides, Banshee doesn't even pretend to be interested in the bigger questions that would spark such serious discussions about its content. The show has a very personal scope; it's focused solely on the man on the pale horse, the town he rode into, and the Hell that followed him.

God bless it for that.

For those of you just joining us, our hero (played by Antony Starr, pictured above in the foreground) is technically still unnamed. We know him as Lucas Hood because that's the name he took hours after he rode into Banshee, PA, looking for his once-true love Ana (Ivana Milicevic, background). See, Lucas is a convicted thief who gave himself up to protect Ana, and spent 15 years in the pen for his trouble. And if he can't have her, he wants his cut of the diamonds they stole together. Unfortunately, the diamonds are no longer viable, and Ana is now Carrie Hopewell, married to the town's DA and with two kids of her own (one of whom was inconveniently sired by Lucas).

Lucas is out of moves until he gets involved in a skirmish between two thugs and the new incoming sheriff of the town -- the real Lucas Hood. The thugs kill the sheriff, the thief kills the thugs. For a multitude of reasons --he wants to protect the kindred soul that runs the bar, he wants to stay close to Carrie, he doesn't have any better ways to spend the rest of his life, and frankly because he's just loving nuts -- our Lucas takes the man's identity and is sworn in as the town sheriff days later.

Hood's Deputies

Brock Lotus (Matt Servitto) holds seniority amongst the deputies and was disappointed when he didn't get promoted. Naturally, he's suspicious of Hood and the two of them don't often get along. Still, Hood respects Brock and counts on him to keep things running smoothly whenever his real life starts to pull him away from his fake one.

Siobhan Kelly (Trieste Kelly Dunn) survived an abusive relationship, leaving her with steel nerves and an inability to tolerate bullshit. She takes an immediate shine to Hood, but this only buys him a sliver of extra wiggle room around her.

Emmett Yawners (Demetrius Grosse) is a former college football player. When Hood meets him, he has a baby on the way, so naturally he's now dead. (I think the real spoiler (in the "giving away a surprise sense," Yawners was awesome and he'll be missed) is that he survived past season 1.) He was gunned down alongside his wife by neo-Nazis (no orphans, though, they beat his wife into a miscarriage a few weeks before) as revenge for the death of their leader. Expect them to die hilariously if they ever show up again.

Hood's Crew

Job (Hoon Lee, left) is Hood's go-to smartass computer wizard. You know the type: can get into anything that has an internet connection while sarcastically commenting on how easy it is for him or how much poo poo he takes, blah blah hacked the Pentagon blah. Job is a transvestite, which often causes people to underestimate his abilities in the field. This is a mistake.

Sugar Bates (Frankie Faison, right) is a former World Champion boxer who now runs The Forge, Banshee's local dive bar. Bates was the only witness to the fight that led to Lucas Hood becoming, well, Lucas Hood -- not that he's ever gonna say a word to anyone else about that. Sugar certainly doesn't hold the crew back, but Hood mainly keeps him in the fold out of generosity and appreciation for his hard-won perspective on life.

Carrie's Family

Carrie's also an occasional part of Hood's crew. Despite being "the girl" of the story, Carrie's a bad motherfucker in her own right. She's fiercely protective of her family; her son Max (Gabriel Suttle, pictured below on the far right) has chronic asthma and will need a lung transplant soon, which leads her to take some jobs on the side to help pay for his upcoming surgery.

Deva (Ryann Shane, middle -- apologies for the horrible picture) is the bastard child of Carrie and Hood, initially unbeknownst to anyone else. Her rebellious streak wouldn't be too disconcerting or out of the ordinary if it wasn't happening just as her town was being terraformed into a war zone. As far as her stepfather is concerned: Gordon Hopewell (Rus Blackwell) is a hero of the Gulf War who, perhaps sensing a deeper connection between his wife and the new sheriff, is also getting a little suspicious of Hood's presence. But unlike Brock, Gordon's already got a full plate trying to bring down the neighborhood crime syndicate that rules the town.

The Proctor Syndicate

Kai Proctor (Ulrich Thomasen) is an Amish exile who has his hands in every crooked aspect of Banshee. Half the town is on his payroll in one way or another, and the head office is so fed up with being unable to touch this guy that they actually hired Lucas Hood (the real one) as a ringer to take him down. (Our Lucas Hood can be a little more flexible: he's not afraid of Kai Proctor, but in the past, he’s been willing to work with him when necessary. He’s also been happy to gently caress with him when the need arises, though, and the events of last season have set Hood on the warpath against him.)

To date, Hood is the only man who's pretty much gotten away (this long) with crossing Proctor. People who have done so in the past have been fed to Proctor's dogs and ground into chopmeat. If you're too important to be killed, you'll probably just have cow guts dumped into your jacuzzi one night, right as you're about to put your penis inside a pretty lady or two.

Rebecca Bowman (Lili Simmons) is Proctor's niece: quiet Amish girl by day, wild child by night. Her promiscuous ways eventually get her booted from her home, leading her to shack up with an uncle that she’s starting to have -- to put it mildly (and in a hilariously misleading way) -- very conflicting feelings for. She's essentially training to be Proctor's number two.

Clay Burton (Matthew Rauch) is Proctor's assistant.

Don't let him take off his glasses.

Just don't.

The Kinaho Tribe

Previously allied with Proctor, the Kinahoes have begun to break away due to the influence of Chief Alex "THE THUNDER MAN" Longshadow, who inherited the post from his father (who was on much better terms with Proctor). Alex himself is no longer a problem: Rebecca killed him before he could testify against Kai. The REAL trouble is the fallout from killing him, starting with this big motherfucker:

Chayton Littlestone (Geno Segers). When we first met him it took Hood and all three of his deputies to bring him down, and that wasn't without a long fight. He eventually escaped police custody; before he left, he made an implicit promise to come back and raze Banshee to the ground. The death of his chief gives him a good goddamn reason to fulfill that promise.

There's also Nola Longshadow (Odette Annable), Alex's war-mongering, tomahawk-throwing, no-gently caress-giving sister who warned Alex not to piss around with Amish crime lords, and is probably a little miffed that he essentially got killed by one.

---

Is that everybody? Finally? I left out Rabbit, who was Carrie's dad and Lucas's former boss, and was hunting them over the first two seasons, but his arc's pretty much over. So other than him, I believe that's everybody. Hopefully that wasn't too much of a slog to read.

Here's what we have to look forward to:
  • Geno Segers is now part of the main ensemble this year. Also being promoted: Afton Williamson, who had a couple of guest appearances as Banshee's ADA last year.
  • New Characters, according to Wikipedia and Alan Sepinwall:
    • Denis O'Hare (DENIS loving O'HARE) as the latest FBI agent to look into this Lucas Hood character. Reminder that the last time Denis O'Hare appeared in an Alan Ball-produced show, this was one thing that happened.
    • Megan Rath (Sally on Being Human [U.S.]) as Aimee King: The sole deputy in the corrupt Kinaho Reservation Police Department. (Over/under on how long it takes Lucas to sleep with her: three episodes from her introduction.)
    • Chaske Spencer (Into the West, The Twilight Saga) as Billy Raven: A former deputy in the Banshee Sheriff's Department, now considered an outcast by the Kinaho people.
    • Tom Pelphrey (newcomer from the soap opera circuit) as Kurt Bunker: A former skinhead who applies to be a deputy in the Banshee Sheriff's Department.
    • Langley Kirkwood (Charlie Jade, Generation Kill, Strike Back, Black Sails) as Col. Douglas Stowe: A former Green Beret now running an illegal business out of Banshee's Camp Genoa.
  • Episode titles this season:
    • 3.1: "The Fire Trials"
    • 3.2: "Snakes and Whatnot"
    • 3.3: "A Fixer of Sorts"
    • 3.4: "Real Life is the Nightmare"
    • 3.5: "Tribal"
    • 3.6: "Bury the Dead"
    • 3.7: "Breach"
    • 3.8: "All That History In One Moment"
  • Alan Sepinwall has reviewed the first six episodes of Season 3, giving the batch an A-. There's at least one nugget he drops about the season premiere that you're going to wish you experienced tabula rasa, so exercise caution before you click. Basic gist of it: consistently over the top, remains preposterously entertaining.
  • Finally, keep an eye out for posts by Surreal Windmill. He's been off our radar recently, but he's a confirmed member (not a writer or director) of the Banshee production team. (He warned us Chayton Littlestone was coming a year before his first appearance.) He's naturally under a mountain of NDAs; don't expect anything too juicy. But he seems to think the third episode of this coming season is among the craziest hours of TV they've ever produced, and his only comment about episodes 305 and 306 was "So. Many. Squibs."

Now, how do you catch up? If you get Cinemax the entire series is available through Cinemax on Demand and MAX GO. If you don't get Cinemax, but you do get money, you can get the first and second seasons on DVD (1, 2) and Blu-Ray (1, 2; comes with free digital copies). There are no free streaming options beyond MAX GO, but you can also purchase episodes digitally though your provider of choice. (Here's season 1 and season 2 via Amazon Instant Video.)

It's like this: If you yearn for the days of action movies being showcases of pure human-scale badassery without the glossy facade of "super"heroism and the goal of four-quadrant appeal, and you haven't tried this show, you're loving doing it wrong.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Updated the OP a bit to reflect new information that came out in the review Alan Sepinwall posted today. One thing I'm happy to tell you: Denis O'Hare shows up as another FBI agent looking into Lucas Hood and Banshee.

But there's the other thing that was revealed in Sepinwall's review. A good thing, a very good thing, but I'm torn about whether I should drop it here. Not because it's plot related; it's really some scant details about a major set piece in the season premiere. It just sounds like something that would have been awesome to experience unspoiled. But then again, the anticipation for that moment could make the release that much sweeter.

I'll just let you decide for yourself whether you want to read it.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 6, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
ONE MORE DAY, MOTHERFUCKERS. In case you missed it, here's the season 3 trailer I stupidly forget to include:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp9giKVV__U

And if you need more now, here's a five minute EPK / shot call for season 3, which includes a look at that thing Sepinwall told you about a day or two ago. Also: Kai vs. Lucas! Chayton in warpaint! Rebecca going dark! Gordon and Carrie tag-team beatdown! Sugar punching fools! Lucas the "alleged" sheriff!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Two hours out; let's see what's in store for the season premiere: "The Fire Trials"

quote:

Carrie faces backlash in the wake of her revelation to Gordon and Deva about her past; Lucas faces a new threat; Chayton Littlestone is hell-bent on whipping the Kinaho tribe into a frenzy of violence against their enemies.

See you on the other side!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Thank gently caress it's Friday: "Snakes and Whatnot"

quote:

Lucas and Carrie investigate the tunnels under Camp Genoa; Proctor and Rebecca become embroiled in a face-off with rival drug suppliers; Carrie tries to end a relationship with Colonel Douglas Stowe.

10 PM. Godzilla's on Cinemax right now if you want to kill time.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Visiting family now, so I can't post a full synopsis (at least right now), but tonight's episode has been described by MIA goon insider Surreal Windmill as the craziest episode they've ever done.

EDIT: Just for the books, A Fixer of Sorts.

quote:

Lucas' secret is threatened when he's arrested; against Chayton's orders, Tommy Littlestone spearheads a second strike against Proctor at a local gentleman's club.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 24, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

DivisionPost posted:

Tonight's episode has been described by MIA goon insider Surreal Windmill as the craziest episode they've ever done.

:vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Liking Agent Robert Phillips, if only because he was smart enough to send proof to the sheriff department. I wonder if he will come back. Shame the same can't be said for fat Brantley

Brantley died as he lived: excessively.

And my only complaint about the Nola / Burton throwdown is that it seems like a waste of her character. And yet, what a way to send her off, goddamn.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Greg Yaitanes has endorsed a Banshee recap: http://blacknerdproblems.com/site/banshee-a-fixer-of-sorts/

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Perestroika posted:

Note that the first season of Strike Back (when the series was still made in britain exclusively and not by Cinemax) is very, very different in tone to the point of being almost a different show altogether. I'm not sure which season the Banshee bluray takes its episodes from, but if it's the first you might just wanna consider skipping straight to season 2. It has a new set of protagonists and isn't really connected to the first season at all.

I got the same DVD. It's the first two episodes of the Cinemax run.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
So, episode 4. Probably my favorite episode title of the whole run: Real Life Is the Nightmare. Simple, maybe more of a 13-year-old's idea of "dark and edgy" than something that's legitimately that way, but what can I say? I get chills just reading it.

quote:

Siobhan is torn between exposing Lucas and keeping his secret; Brock learns that his ex, Emily, is working as a caregiver for Proctor's mom; Chayton readies his army for an assault.

While you wait for that, Cinemax has Jason Bateman's Bad Words premiering at 8:30 EST. And while you wait for that, something to chew on:

I tried to get some of my friends and acquaintances into this show by showing them Hood vs. Sanchez. One of them liked the tension of the scene, but complained that it was unrealistic. In particular, he cited "no one in the audience helped him, plus he started the assault."

I mean, I've already written him off as a lost cause, but just for shits and giggles...thoughts?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm going to be pissed if they kill off Siobhan, and yet that's the only place I see this next episode going. gently caress.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

hcreight posted:

I think it's at least as likely that things go to hell so much next week that Siobhan realizes that they need Hood around one way or another.

That's what I'm hoping for. I'd much rather see Siobhan wrestle with knowing and keeping the secret, even as Hood keeps doing dirt, because either alternative -- be it Hood's departure or outright exposure -- would be disastrous. I hate when stories kill off love interests to generate motivation.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Cactus posted:

Bag of nails to the face.

That is all.

oh my goodness

(If I wasn't dreading Siobhan's potential death I'd be PRIMED.)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Tonight: "Tribal", AKA Assault on Precinct Banshee (love ya, CeeJee):

quote:

Looking to avenge Tommy's death, Chayton and an army of Redbones invade Banshee; while holed up in the Cadi, Proctor becomes increasingly frustrated by his inability to attend to his ailing mother at home.

I don't know if you noticed, but this is apparently a big episode tonight. And I'd probably be more excited if I wasn't 80% sure that Siobhan was going to die tonight, thus protecting Hood's secret and making him extra pissed when he faces off against Chayton.

But I shouldn't whine: buy the ticket, take the ride. And it's gonna be a loving great ride.

While you wait, Cinemax is running the (ever-so-slightly) underrated NFL propaganda piece Draft Day at 8. See you when I see you.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

hcreight posted:

How bad is Tom Welling as the Token Disgruntled Quarterback?

Better than he was, still worse than he should be. He's a big "whatever" in this movie.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Surprisingly, I'm okay.

I mean, not really, but part of me thought I'd be enough of a pussy to quit the show.

And yeah, Kurt Bunker is going to be a loving awesome addition to the roster.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 7, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

She was fridged

KatWithHands posted:

She was super fridged.

Yeah she was. But at least she went out something of a hero, saving Billy's life. My worst-case scenario was that she'd die kind of like that lawyer did. Maybe not shot in the head while disobeying orders, but maybe taking an out-of-nowhere bullet during that scene where Hood told her his real name, then bleeding out in his arms.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 7, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

life is killing me posted:

Welp Hood is supremely pissed, maybe as pissed as we've ever seen him. This basically means that Chayton doesn't know it yet, but he's a dead man walking.

In the preview there's a shot of him holding a knife to Chayton's throat while he sleeps. Obviously he's gonna pull back, but how much do you want to bet that it's because it'd be TOO easy, as opposed to him being conveniently interrupted?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Wait, you started in season 3? What is wrong with you?!?!

richardfun posted:

Or he binged it and caught up toute de suite. At least I hope so, for him.

In case you guys aren't joking, the original thread title was "Meet the New Boss"; I asked Deadpool to change it last night, shortly after he made that post. So he really did just start.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Yodzilla posted:

I really hope Kai Proctor gets his recognition as one of the greatest villains of all time because he loving deserves it.

Totally, and while we're at it, let's throw some love to Chayton as well. Geno Segers has great eyes that can convey a surprising amount of sadness and regret. When Aimee talks about knowing him as a more sensitive kid when they grew up together, I buy it completely. Off a single glance I not only know who he is, but who he was and a little bit about how he got there.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Soothing Vapors posted:

There's one fairly disturbing sexual assault in episode 3, but I can't think of another one. It's disturbing but not especially graphic; nothing, including episode 3, is going to go all Irreversible on you or anything. Other than that, there's a lot of veiled sexual threats but nothing I can remember that's incredibly overt.

I wouldn't say the threats are TOO veiled. One episode of the first season has a couple of cracked-out armed robbers take a bunch of kids in Saturday Detention hostage, and because that's not enough, one of them starts groping the teacher. Almost every bad guy of the week in the first season is in some way guilty of a sex crime; that's what I mean by "there's a lot." It's not like there's a graphic rape scene a week, but if you're sensitive about male privilege and the way rape is commoditized in storytelling, it might be enough to piss you off.

To their credit, though? They cut that poo poo out in season 2 and figure out when their bad guys are bad enough. One episode even functions as a mea culpa of sorts. It's absolutely important that this be stressed.

And yes: the third episode has a brutal sexual assault scene. It's a scene of consensual sex that turns violent after the villain is unsatisfied with her performance. After the switch is flipped, you see the beating, but you don't see the rape the follows.

But yeah, Banshee is a show that's all about over-the-top indulgence. The sex is over the top, the violence is over the top, the characters are over the top. By all means, give it a try if you're curious, but there's a nonzero chance you'll find it too trashy (for want of a better word) for your tastes.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 12, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wandle Cax posted:

Possibly, but not necessarily.

Greg Yaitanes hasn't said a word on Twitter aside from announcing there will be a season 4. I'm going to assume it's a budget / contract consideration and that all is well until he announces otherwise.

Banshee is, no poo poo, as key to Cinemax's original programming brand as Six Feet Under was to HBO's. (In this analogy, Strike Back would be The Sopranos since it came first and established Max as a legit force to begin with. Like 6FU, Banshee solidified the reputation.) It gets solid live ratings, doubles those numbers through DVR (which counts a great deal since Max isn't ad-supported), and critics are also embracing it for the crazy and deceptively heavy ride that it is. That makes it a firm anchor alongside The Knick, for a channel that doesn't have a lot of original programming at the moment. So it's not going anywhere outside of its own terms, and I wouldn't sweat it either way.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 13, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm probably not going to be able to do a full "tonight's episode" post (I'll edit if I get home in time), but based on some things Greg Yaitanes is saying on Twitter, it sounds like this is going to be more of a "calm before the storm" episode, so get ready for some violent mano y crushing, infuriating grief tonight.

EDIT: As promised, the whole summary of tonight's episode, We Were All Someone Else Yesterday:

quote:

Lucas decides to take matters into his own hands in his pursuit of Chayton; Rebecca is distressed to learn of her uncle's burgeoning romance with Emily; Deva is drawn to a handsome stranger.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 14, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

That FPS footage looks like a badass set of music videos done in the same style. If the guys who made those music videos have anything to do with this episode it will be great.

the video in question (I think they did more than one like this)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1swFxkicrjk

Greg Yaitanes is directing the next two, but he has experience with small cameras (having shot an episode of House entirely on Canon 5Ds).

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Guys, there are no plans for next season to be the last. I went over the reasons why AT LEAST ONCE in the thread. It's a buzzy show, critics are behind it, social media is behind it, Cinemax loves it. Most likely, considering that production is also moving to Philly, it's a cost-saving move designed to compensate for the on-screen/behind-camera talent wanting more money -- which, let's be fair, they've earned it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

They're planning for 5 seasons. Also, apparently next season is "giant-sized;" which could possibly mean 90-minute episodes (and an 8-episode season with 90-minute episodes works out to longer than a 10-episode hour-long season).

e: Also, Cinemax greenlit another Greg Yaitanes show, so Banshee is probably going to run as long as the people behind it want it to.

So if that's true, we're LITERALLY getting an action movie a week. Holy shitsnacks.

Tonight: You Can't Hide From the Dead

quote:

Lucas and his team pull off a daring heist at Camp Genoa; both Lucas and Chayton are haunted by their recent encounter; Gordon and Carrie attempt an unusual intervention with Deva.

No premieres before the show, but they're running V For Vendetta if that's your thing.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah it could either be that or just season 4 being crazy, but I will poo poo a brick if it's giant-sized in the comic book sense and we're getting 90 minute episodes.

What's your source, just for the record? You have it handy?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I'm phone posting, but it was on /r/banshee on reddit. Someone tweeted at Greg Yaitanes about season 4 only being 8 episodes and his response was just "Giant-sized." I'll dig it up when I have a computer handy

Don't sweat it, think I can take it from there. Thanks!

EDIT: Maybe I can't since there's no such tweet on Yaitanes's feed. Again, that's not doubt, just curiosity.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 21, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I've yet to watch the episode, but:

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I was wrong about who tweeted it.

https://twitter.com/lperistere/status/565940966868008960

This seems to be a director on some episodes of the show, so a semi-legit source maybe.

Loni's an EP who directed the first and last blocks of episodes for this season, even though Greg Yaitanes is the showrunner. Yes, he's a legit source.

When he says "GIANT SIZE," it could mean that they're doing extended episodes. But it could also mean, factoring in the move to Philly, that they want to put as much money on the screen as possible for what comes next. Either way, :circlefap: in-mother-loving-deed.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
TONIGHT.

IT ALL GOES loving WRONG.

All the Wisdom I Got Left

quote:

Lucas and Brock head to Louisiana in search of Chayton; Stowe pieces together details about the Camp Genoa heist; Burtons torment turns to resolve.

While you wait, Cinemax is premiering William Eubank's okay-I-guess indie sci-fi/horror flick The Signal (not to be confused with the well-received 2007 movie of the same name) at 8:15. If you want to know what it's about, get in line; my cable provider is doing that annoying thing where they put the tagline in the info box in place of a synopsis.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I can't post a full synopsis but tonight's episode is called Even God Doesn't Know What to Make of You, which, come on.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deakul posted:

The TV IV › BANSHEE S3: "Jesus Christ, what the gently caress did you do now?" (Fridays @ 10 PM ET, Cinemax)
:tviv:

Requesting gifs of Proctor walking away from the fire, immediately.

Also, leave Sugar alone. :ohdear:

I'm sorry it took me so long to watch this week's show, otherwise I would've been on top of this.

Holy poo poo, by the way.

As far as what goes down on Friday: I'm thinking Carrie gets captured and kept alive. Stowe holding her hostage as he boards a chopper keeps Hood and the rest from ventilating him right there. Of course, I can't think of any reason to keep her alive afterwards, but killing her off in the same manner as Siobhan in the same season...I don't know, I think they'd find another way to do it for Carrie.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
And so it's come to this: We All Pay Eventually

quote:

Lucas recalls a secret chapter in his life; Job blames Carrie for blowing the group's cover; Bunker vows to shut down the Brotherhood.

Gentlemen, it's been an honor.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh this is going to be a long loving year.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rhyno posted:

Eliza Dushku (Buffy, Dollhouse, True Calling, my fantasies for the last 10 years) has been cast for season 4 as an FBI agent.

Oh great, I can't wait for next year's thread to go to poo poo now that goons have another reason to yell about Dollhouse being terrible.

And I say that as someone who didn't like Dollhouse.

...See? Wonderful. Ball's rolling now, I just Minority Reported the whole loving thing. Sorry everyone!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rhyno posted:

Yes it was.

I be the bringer of bad news.

Is the bad news that you're one of the three people who really liked Tru Calling?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Banshee S4 will be the last for the show. This is a creative-side call; Cinemax did not cancel them. They're going out on their own terms.

Be sad, but not too sad as Quarry (directed by Greg Yaitanes) should hopefully be coming along to fill the "bad motherfuckers who hurt people badly" gap.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

life is killing me posted:

Anyone going to make a new thread for this or is the name of this one just going to be changed? I'm kind of getting Banshee withdrawals to the point I'm pretty much ready to fire up all my old favorite episodes to give getting my wife interested in the show another (probably unsuccessful) attempt.

The last season premieres in January. We won' tuned (EDIT: *won't need.* Sorry, my iPad's autocorrect gets real dumb when it runs into contractions) to start thinking about it until then.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
GET READY FO THE PAIN

THE PAIN TRAIN IS COMIN

WHOO WHOO