Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Anyone from New Zealand here? Apparently there are two tall foreign shaven haired guys that have just joined as Young Lions. Cody Hall obviously and "not Cody Hall". "Not Cody Hall" was the guy seen at ring side in the traditional tracksuit. Cody Hall was NOT at ringside before he walked out with the Bullet Club.

The guy who isn't Cody Hall is seemingly Liam Horgan from New Zealand who previously wrestled as "Liam Fury".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

WHY THE gently caress DID BAD LUCK FALE GET A PIN ON OKADA!? :stare:

Edit: I guess their going for Tana REALLY hurt Okada or Okada lost his will to fight after losing to Tana.

because this company knows how to book wrestling storylineS!! also because Fale rules

Phenix Rising posted:

Are you referring to this person/place? https://twitter.com/puro_yottsume

Or someone around here?

Yeah. I don't see that shirt on his site but try yottsume at gmail, he used to take all his orders that way.

Akileese posted:

What/When is the next big card? Is that New Japan Road in February?

Fantasticmania this very month!!!! Jan. 18 and 19, these are the big shows from their tour with CMLL and they'll both be on NJPW World. I didn't watch last year but am told these are regularly among the most fun shows of the year.

The "Road" shows are like the house show tours leading up to the big event shows. New Japan has been trying this two-day event thing where their PPV equivalents are actually two separate shows with the IC title headlining one and the HW title headlining the other. So the February "PPV" is The New Beginning on both 2/11 and 2/14, I think.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The Nagata walkout shirts actually aren't sold by NJPW but by some company/organization called Corazón.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

if you want to find out when shows are read the op

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

acai moonsault posted:

Events

NJPW presents CMLL Fantasticamania 2015 (January 13th - January 19th)

NJPW presents CMLL Fantasticamania 2015 in Korakuen Hall (January 18th)

Card
  • Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask IV & Ángel de Oro vs. CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii, Gedo & YOSHI-HASHI)
  • KUSHIDA, Triton & Rey Cometa vs. Okumura, Barbaro Cavernario & Mr. Niebla
  • Captain New Japan, Mascara Don & Mascara Dorada vs. Tetsuya Naito, Ryusuke Taguchi & La Sombra
  • Volador Jr. (c) vs. Gran Guerrero - NWA WORLD HISTORIC WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
  • Stuka Jr. vs. Mephisto
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi, Stigma & Mistico vs. CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & Shinsuke Nakamura) & Polbora
  • Atlantis vs. Ultimo Guerrero
How to watch: Live & on demand on NJPW World (¥999/month)

NJPW presents CMLL Fantasticamania 2015 in Korakuen Hall (January 19th)

Card
  • KUSHIDA, Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask IV & Stuka Jr. vs. CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii, Gedo & YOSHI-HASHI) & Okumura
  • Captain New Japan & Triton vs. Tetsuya Naito & Ryusuke Taguchi
  • Stigma & Ángel de Oro vs. Gran Guerrero & Mephisto
  • Rey Cometa vs. Barbaro Cavernario
  • Mistico vs. Polbora
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kota Ibushi, Volador Jr. & Atlantis vs. CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & Shinsuke Nakamura), Mr. Niebla & Ultimo Guerrero
  • Mascara Dorada vs. La Sombra

The New Beginning in Osaka in Osaka BODYMAKER Colosseum (February 11th)

Card
  • reDRagon (Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish) (c) vs. Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson) - IWGP JR. TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
  • Kenny Omega (c) vs. Ryusuke Taguchi - IWGP JR. HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
  • Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata (c) vs. Bullet Club ("Machine Gun" Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows) - IWGP TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. AJ Styles - IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
  • More TBA

The New Beginning in Sendai in Sendai Sun Plaza Hall (February 14th)

Card
  • Jushin Thunder Liger (c) vs. Chase Owens - NWA JR. HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
  • Rob Conway (c) vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan - NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
  • Togi Makabe (c) vs. Tomohiro Ishii - NEVER OPENWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
  • Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Yuji Nagata - IWGP INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
  • More TBA

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Atlantis and Ultimo Guerrero have wrestled each other 1,000 times in the past year.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Edit gently caress beat. I'm positive there are two titles matches on night 1 though.
NWA Historic Welterweight Championship Match: Volador Jr.(c) vs. Gran Guerrero
Mexican National Light Heavyweight Championship: Stuka Jr. vs. Mephisto(c)

Ew, Rob Conway vs. Tenzan...

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 6, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

Atlantis and Ultimo Guerrero have wrestled each other 1,000 times in the past year.

they've had the exact same match every time too, practically spot-for-spot. i expect no different here.

fantasticamania shows look very whatever outside of Cavernario/Cometa which should be as good as all Cavernario singles matches i.e. great because he is one of the best wrestlers in the world right now. i hope it's a little less of a spotfest than their Aniversario match but even if not it's hard to complain really. Dorada vs. Sombra should be the equivalent of last year's Dorada vs. Volador Jr., i.e. a dive-fest to satisfy the korakuen crowd to whom lucha means dives and masks and little else.

i understand that CMLL can't just send all their best talent to Japan for weeks to the detriment of their shows at home, but I would've really liked to see just one or two of Dragon Lee II, Cachorro, Hechicero, Virus, Negro Casas, Guerrero Maya Jr.... it's not like most of those guys are in drawing positions on the card

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 6, 2015

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
anyone that needs storyline stuff or character summaries, then I guess here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3685269&pagenumber=13#post439844697

should have posted it in here first and not NJPW World thread

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thauros posted:

The Nagata walkout shirts actually aren't sold by NJPW but by some company/organization called Corazón.

Corazon makes fan shirts for a few different things (some Japanese soccer teams and a few other NJPW/wrestling ones I think), but I *think* you can find them at some of the shops near Tokyo Dome. Pretty sure I saw some in a shop last fall. Warning: they're Japanese, so probably not in XXXXXL sizes. There's one shirt up on Puroresushop.com (look for Yuji Nagata), or email Yottsume about getting one of the Corazon ones.

Re: Suzuki's entrance - he's been using the same theme for a long while now, and two or three years ago for Wrestle Kingdom, the singer performed it live. Listen during a non-Tokyo Dome show, the crowd always pops well for it. And yeah, he has a "won the match" version too because he's that drat good.

And for CHAOS...they weren't always a face-ish stable! Seems like now they're a cool tweener group versus a true white-meat baby face stable. None of the true NJPW babies are in a stable (Tanahashi, Naito, Tiger Mask, Liger, Shibata and Goto I guess, Captain New Japan too). CHAOS used to be super heel but now they're milder than Suzuki-gun or Bullet Club.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

BigRed0427 posted:

4: What is Taichi's theme song? Sidenote, I think I have a crush on him. :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iEsLlgY9K0

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Minoru Suzuki has declared war on NOAH so unless Toru Yano wins the GHC that's something to look forward to

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

kojima's challenging for GHC next if I remember correct

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
Dave says to expect a title change in Nagata/Nakamura. I guess if Nagata just has a short run with the belt before Nakamura wins it back like Fale, Sombra and Tanahashi have before that would be fine. If he has a long run with the belt and/or loses it to someone else I think it's a horrible idea. To have Nakamura be the face of that title for most of the past 3 years and then put over a guy who is in the approaching the end of his career, regardless of if he can still go, seems like a massive waste of an opportunity. Ibushi should be the one to get that rub.

edit: I wouldn't be surprised if the plan is to do Nagata/Marufuji for the IC since Marufuji ended Nagata's GHC reign.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 6, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Knock on wood that it's not, but it might be a gold watch run for Nagata.

I dunno if him having a long run with it would necessarily be a bad thing either. For better or worse, the only guy to have had it for an appreciable amount of time is Nakamura. Nagata having it for a while would certainly change it up a bit.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It's weird to see Nakamura with the rudos since he's been so facey lately even more than the rest of his stable.

Also, I assumed that TM IV would be the next challenger to the NWA jr based on Liger's victory promo, guess I misunderstood that.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 6, 2015

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Osaka looks awesome and Sendai should be entertaining but holy gently caress I have no desire to watch Conway-Tenzan. Still don't like this doubleshot stuff at all. It waters down the cards.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
The not Cody Hall guy is actually: https://twitter.com/JayWhiteNZ .

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
In case someone wonders why the Osaka show is on a weekday, it's because of the National Foundation day and it's status as a national holiday. No work or school for most people.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Fantasticmania Night 2 looks good. Also looking forward to Tana vs AJ and Nakamura vs Nagata.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
why is the IC title show in such a smaller building?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I just want to say I'm now on board the NJPW train. I can't take WWE anymore (except NXT, which I still like), TNA is worse than a kidney stone, ROH is okay but I got burned too much during the "All our iPPVs don't work" era for me to care about them anymore, so I'm going to give NJPW a try.

I haven't subscribed to NJPW World yet, but I hope to soon.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fart blood posted:

I just want to say I'm now on board the NJPW train. I can't take WWE anymore (except NXT, which I still like), TNA is worse than a kidney stone, ROH is okay but I got burned too much during the "All our iPPVs don't work" era for me to care about them anymore, so I'm going to give NJPW a try.

I haven't subscribed to NJPW World yet, but I hope to soon.

I realize this likely won't change your mind but ROH's PPV's are fine now.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

they've had the exact same match every time too, practically spot-for-spot. i expect no different here.

fantasticamania shows look very whatever outside of Cavernario/Cometa which should be as good as all Cavernario singles matches i.e. great because he is one of the best wrestlers in the world right now. i hope it's a little less of a spotfest than their Aniversario match but even if not it's hard to complain really. Dorada vs. Sombra should be the equivalent of last year's Dorada vs. Volador Jr., i.e. a dive-fest to satisfy the korakuen crowd to whom lucha means dives and masks and little else.

i understand that CMLL can't just send all their best talent to Japan for weeks to the detriment of their shows at home, but I would've really liked to see just one or two of Dragon Lee II, Cachorro, Hechicero, Virus, Negro Casas, Guerrero Maya Jr.... it's not like most of those guys are in drawing positions on the card

Yeah, seeing Atlantis vs Ultimo Guerrero is cool for the fans there live but it's hardly anyhing that special for us at this point. I just want to see Casas vs. Liger while they both kinda still have it.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I realize this likely won't change your mind but ROH's PPV's are fine now.

Final battle was a bit of a technical trainwreck I recall.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Skinty McEdger posted:

only on the iPPV side. The actual PPV broadcast was good.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Skinty McEdger posted:

Bad on the ippv side only for what it is worth

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

His role is to drag down Okada obviously

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Awww poor Tacos :( I like to think someday he'll gain Shinsuke's respect...

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
motherfucking Cavernario vs Cometa in Korakuen? Sign me up!

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
If it weren't for Tacos, someone like Jado and Gedo would have to be the loss post of CHAOS.

Which gets me thinking:

YOSHI-HASHI is obviously the loss post of CHAOS as Honma/CNJ are for Sekigun and Tonga is for Bullet Club. Who's the loss post in Suzukigun? It's not really Iizuka and TAKA/Taichi aren't in a lot of their multimen tags.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

BigRed0427 posted:

Just a few questions about NJPW in general.

1:What is Yano's gimmick? What are the DVDs he is trying to sell during his entrance.?

3: Is it me or is Chaos not a cohesive unit like The Bullet Club and Susukigun is? or does NJPW use face stables differently? (This one might just be me fanboying of Nakamura and Okada)

These got answered but I can't pass up a chance to post the YTR ads:

The first DVD has some career retrospective stuff and family interviews, but also some goofing off around Japan with other NJPW guys.
The second DVD is mostly YTR hanging out with Jado, Gedo, and Ishii. Ishii is a big baby about amusement park rides :3:
The third DVD is YTR forcing the other CHAOS dudes to go on a field trip with him, and he gives them an allowance of like $20 each.

There were versions of these that people subbed, but I couldn't find them on Youtube anymore.

3. CHAOS are kinda tweeners at this point. They started out as heels, but Suzuki-gun and Bullet Club (especially Bullet Club) came along and basically pushed them into tweener status. Plus the fact that it's hard not to cheer for Okada, Nakamura, and Ishii. On the New Year Dash show, CHAOS vs Bullet Club has Okada and YTR as faces, but in the 6 man with Nakamura and Ishii they do way more heelish stuff against the traditional babyfaces.

The Fantasticamania shows are fun because the NJPW guys usually bust out some lucha moves.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Static Rook posted:

These got answered but I can't pass up a chance to post the YTR ads:

The first DVD has some career retrospective stuff and family interviews, but also some goofing off around Japan with other NJPW guys.
The second DVD is mostly YTR hanging out with Jado, Gedo, and Ishii. Ishii is a big baby about amusement park rides :3:
The third DVD is YTR forcing the other CHAOS dudes to go on a field trip with him, and he gives them an allowance of like $20 each.

There were versions of these that people subbed, but I couldn't find them on Youtube anymore.

3. CHAOS are kinda tweeners at this point. They started out as heels, but Suzuki-gun and Bullet Club (especially Bullet Club) came along and basically pushed them into tweener status. Plus the fact that it's hard not to cheer for Okada, Nakamura, and Ishii. On the New Year Dash show, CHAOS vs Bullet Club has Okada and YTR as faces, but in the 6 man with Nakamura and Ishii they do way more heelish stuff against the traditional babyfaces.

The Fantasticamania shows are fun because the NJPW guys usually bust out some lucha moves.

For those interested, I'll be showing YTR VTR 2 (with subtitles) in psp.tv on Thursday and probably YTR VTR 3 next thurs.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

YOSHI-HASHI is obviously the loss post of CHAOS as Honma/CNJ are for Sekigun and Tonga is for Bullet Club. Who's the loss post in Suzukigun? It's not really Iizuka and TAKA/Taichi aren't in a lot of their multimen tags.

It's the perfect strategy: You can't lose any matches if you don't have a job guy!

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Whats YOSHI-HASHI's deal other than look like a Final Fantasy character?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

For those interested, I'll be showing YTR VTR 2 (with subtitles) in psp.tv on Thursday and probably YTR VTR 3 next thurs.

Very interested. What time?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Le Saboteur posted:

Whats YOSHI-HASHI's deal other than look like a Final Fantasy character?

Sound wrestler, Okada's little buddy much like Ishii is to Nakamura and regularly tags with him. He's trying to prove himself as being deserving as a member of CHAOS and last year had a nice little run where he tried to prove himself against champions.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

YTR VTR 2 also features Yano, Yano's dad and Gedo providing commentary on Yano matches. His dad is not impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
It's really great. I'm thinking 8 pm est Thursday. Gotta figure out how to load stuff from google drive on psp.tv and I'll be good to go.

• Locked thread