Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
Nikki Sparks

"Toon! Don't engage the peanut gallery!" Nikki yells, still ignoring the rude as all hell IBER agent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Agent Zari giggles behind her hand as Agent Milton grumbles. "You'll have to forgive Agent Milton. He's a top-notch agent, but he's not the best socializer. Sir Justice, we'll keep in touch if we find anything in our investigation. Come on, Miles." Agent Zari manages to keep Agent Milton from going for Nikki's throat as the two agents leave the room, leaving only you and Sir Justice.

"Now, I believe that should be all. You're dismissed, class. It should be around lunchtime anyway."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yukina Matsudaira

"Huh? Why would I joke about that?", Yukina says softly with a confused blink, more to herself than as an actual question. With a bow, she then adds, "Thank you for your time.", pulling out her phone as soon as she's out the door to start thumbing out a text. Time for a student council meeting... at least as soon as she can gather the council, anyway.

She looks over her shoulder to her class. Maybe she should bring in some consultants, too...

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Allison Traynor

Ally gratefully makes her escape from the principal's office.

Once they're out of earshot of Sir Justice's office, she pipes up.

"Okay, everyone else thought that was weird too, right?" She glances from classmate to classmate, looking for signs of positive response. "You fight this chick, who's working for an evil supergenius, and she shows up the next day hat in hand, wanting to join the school? That's super-suspicious. Right?"

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Nikki Sparks

"You heard what its like over where she's from." Nikki says in irritation scowling a bit. "People get crappy hands sometimes, ok? Don't be bitchy when they try and do better."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Allison Traynor

Allison narrows her eyes at Nikki. She makes a face like she's about to say something, but then closes her eyes and lets out a long sigh.

"Yeah," she says, opening her eyes. "I heard her. I'm saying maybe we should be careful around her until we have a reason to do otherwise. It's called reasonable suspicion."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

As you exit the office, Professor Suzuki excuses herself to the teacher's lounge so you can go to lunch. As you walk down the hall, you see a familiarly unwelcome sight.

Time to meddle!

Oh dear, it's Alicia. And she looks happy to see you. Not a good sign.

Trailing behind her is a second-year with elongated earlobes carrying a camera. She does not look as excited to be here.

"Alright, Kimberly, get ready for a scoop!"

"If you say so, Alicia..."

"Class 5! You guys just keep popping up, it seems! Heard you took down a villain yesterday! That's front-page news!"

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Emi

"Is it?" Emi actually speaks up for once, feeling a little cocky. She crosses her arms and tries to look disinterested. "I didn't even have to use my powers. She was so outclassed I actually feel kind of bad about it."

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Toon

"Speaking of things that deserve to go on the front page, I hear you still sleep with a night light! Care to comment?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Mu'oh

"That's hardly fair. Nightlights are valuable to young children," says Mu'oh smoothly. "Things went well. I lead a devastating attack against our foe and she was down before anything really happened."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yukina Matsudaira

"It was mostly just a misunderstanding.", Yukina replies simply. "Nothing too exciting, Mu'oh handled it admirably." She smiles, ignoring the camera. "Was there something you needed, Alicia?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kimberly snickers as Alicia glares at Toon and Mu'Oh. "Shut UP, you two! Jeez! All I want is a few statements for the paper, maybe some photos."

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Nikki Sparks

Nikki just makes a face and keeps walking.

she says "See you guys in the lunchroom!" as she walks away.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Toon

Toon glares at the pushy reporter. " Look, Nellie Bly, I've had one heck of a semester so far, and your incessant querying isn't helping my mood improve further. You've got some quotes for your article. They may not be the ones you wanted, but I'm sure a reporter of your esteemed caliber can work this into an column located on the same vitalpage as next week's cafeteria menu!" At this point Toon's voice has risen into a shout, causing the onlookers in the hallway to start staring. He looks around and turns towards the cafeteria, hands shoved deep in his pockets. "Whatever. I'm craving some tater tots. Later" and with that, he stalks away from the group.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

As you head to the lunch room, Alicia simply crosses her arms and huffs. Aside from a few questions from students, the rest of the day and the rest of the week go by without incident.

Saturday September 10, 2015, 11:00 AM
Cape and Cowl Bar
San Fransisco

It's the weekend, baby! And ZA students get to go into the city to hang out! And there's no more popular hangout for students than the Cape and Cowl, a mid-sized pub by the seafront. And welcoming you into the Cape and Cowl is the owner and bartender,

Kerry Vincent.

Kerry is one of the many Eccentrics in the world who didn't end up becoming a hero, though he still puts his powers to good use. His ability to lower his body temperature allows him to serve some of the coldest sodas in the city. A friend of Zenith Academy, he's always happy to serve the heroes of tomorrow. Plus, he's always got his ear to the ground when it comes to the goings-on around the city.

"Well, hey there! If it isn't Rebecca's class! What can I do for you?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yukina Matsudaira

Resting- an unusual pose to see her in, really- Yukina leans on the table, her arms folded. "An iced vanilla soy latte, please." Though the investigation hadn't turned up anything yet, that doesn't mean it hasn't been keeping her busy, alongside emergency preparations. She may not be a big "H" Hero yet, but that doesn't mean she doesn't do her best to act like it. Something seems to click over in her head, and she looks up to Kerry. "Oh? You know Professor Suzuki?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Allison Traynor

Allison tags along for the trip into town. You're stuck with her now, suckers! She's still got on her leather jacket and biker boots, even in her off time.

Ally is a little distracted as she orders a diet cola. She's got this habit when she walks into a restaurant or the like, picked up from her mom. She starts scanning the room, looking for anybody with their back to a wall or hiding their face. Might not actually mean anything, but anybody with those kind of habits is somebody to keep an eye on.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Nikki Sparks

Nikki's usually scolded for heading out on her own, so when other people decide to go out and she gets to tag along, she's pretty excited! She sits down at the bar and puts her head in her hands.

"I'll have a mocha frappuccino! Anything cool happening around the city?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kerry prepares the three drinks, making sure what needs to be cold is cold and sliding them down to you.

"Me and Rebecca go back a bit. Plus, I heard about you guys in the paper last week. Good job!"

He picks up an empty glass and starts wiping it as he looks to Nikki. "Well, I heard there's a movie shoot going on downtown. Might be worth checking out before everyone else gets there."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

HEY! What's the deal? Y'all forget?

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Mu'oh

"Movie shoot, you say?" Mu'oh frowns. "I didn't think this was exactly a center of filming excellence. What sort of movie?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Get this: it's a superhero movie of all things! You'd think that people wouldn't pay 6 bucks to see that stuff when they can look out the window and see it for free, but I guess it's still popular."

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Toon

"Less chance of becoming an 'innocent bystander', I guess. Eccentricity is a lot easier to enjoy when viewed on a screen. If we're gonna go check this out for ourselves, can I get my Strawberry Bubblegum milkshake to go? And with extra syrup pleeeease."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yukina Matsudaira

A sip as she listens, before pointing out, "People also see movies about everyday life and police, too. A good story is a good story! And having real Eccentrics do some of the special effects makes them a lot cheaper to make than they used to." She smiles. "But I could use a break from the council, things have been pretty busy after all that trouble."

Looking to Kerry, she asks, "Any idea if it's fiction or ah..." She hesitates at the word. "... capesploitation?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kerry slides Toon's milkshake over to him in a paper cup.

"Well, I suppose you have a point there. And I guess filming it near ZA allows for a lot of consultants. As far as I know, it's a fiction. Stars that young guy....Desmond Price, I think. I don't follow the popular culture."

Desmond Price is a name that might be familiar to you. He's a relatively new actor who got his start in the Shining Light trilogy. Those movies weren't anything special, your typical young adult dystopia fiction, but it turned Price into a heartthrob idol.

"I don't know if the set is open to visitors, but I guess even if you stand at the edge of things, you might at least get a glance of him."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Ally Traynor

Ally opens her mouth to say something clever about police movies, but she stops short.

The bruiser carefully sets her soda down on the counter and knits her fingers together. "Hmm. Perhaps we should investigate the filming locations. There could be something helpful there," she says in a carefully neutral tone of voice.

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Emi Kurosawa

Emi, who had just been listening in from a couple seats away, perks up at the mention of Desmond Price. Not that she would admit to anyone, but she was a huge fan of the books the Shining Light trilogy was based on. Of course, she hated all the changes the director had made, especially with the ending (typical Hollywood happy ending, when it was supposed to be depressing, I mean seriously...[blog post continues for multiple pages]) but Desmond had done an excellent job playing her favorite character.

"Uh, yeah, we should go. I mean, an actor like that filming in public, sounds like something someone might want to use to cause some chaos." She nods to herself, proud of her totally believable excuse.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Saturday September 10, 2051, 12:00 PM
Film Shoot
Near Lombard Street

You're able to follow a crowd of people to where the shoot is going on, at a cordoned-off section of road down the way from Lombard Street.

If you can make your way through the throng of people around the barriers set up, you'll see equipment set up all around, with actors and crew milling about. It seems as if they're taking a break in between takes. On the sidelines, you can see several Eccentrics in crew shirts practicing with their powers. One is causing small explosions, and the other is levitating a stuntman. Like Yukina said, many Eccentrics who did not end up becoming heroes found a reasonable amount of success doing special effects for Hollywood productions, seeing common use due to their lower price compared to similar CG effects. Nearby, an older man is going over fight choreography with another stunt person, when he notices your group. Or at least, one person in it.

"Just one minute." He walks over to the barrier with a hand behind his back. "Emi? Is that you? I knew you were going to school here, but I didn't think I'd run into you here!"

Emi would of course recognize the man as her teacher, Oreki Tanaka.

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Emi Kurosawa

Emi stops as she notices him, caught off guard by this sudden intersection of her personal and school lives. She hesitates before giving him a small bow, not wanting to disrespect him but also worried about looking weird in front of her classmates. There's an awkward moment before she remembers what people usually do in situations like this.

"So, everyone, this is Tanaka-sens--uh, Mr. Tanaka. He's my martial arts instructor. Mr. Tanaka, these are my... classmates."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Allison Traynor

"Good to meet you," Ally says, scanning the production scene for signs of hunky young stars.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Nikki Sparks

"Sup! I'm Nikki Sparks." Nikki says with a bit of a smile while looking around, idly saying "Hero-level fight choreography and eccentric powers as special effects? Must be a pretty great movie!"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yukina Matsudaira

Craning her head a little along with Allison, Yukina is trying to get a good look without looking like she's looking. It isn't dignified for a class president to get too excited about famous faces, even if she really is interested. It's quite the social balancing beam.

Tanaka distracts things as he arrives, though, since the arrival of an elder puts her into Formal Mode, bowing lightly and introducing herself, apparently more worried about seeming informal than seeming Japanese, given her surroundings. "Yukina Matsudaira, pleased to meet you.", she replies simply.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Mu'oh

"A martial arts teacher? Are you taking students?" asks Mu'oh. "I'm always looking to improve, and Emi is no weakling.."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Pleased to meet you all. I hope you've been treating my Emi right." He turns to Mu'oh. "Takin' students? That depends. I only take students on when I feel they're worthy. Though bein' an Academy student might be enough.

At Nikki's comment, you hear a boisterous voice, "You're drat right it's a great movie!"

Walking up is a man who might be recognized as the director Sebastian Albert. People familiar with his work would know that he got his start as a teenage actor in the horror comedy Breakfast Cult and directed his first movie at age 25. Mainly a director of genre pieces such as The Hero Rupert and the Demon King's Castle and Rebel Sun, he's developed a small cult following.

"Taking cues from the fine Japanese superhero tradition! Practical effects whenever possible! It's more real to the audience and it helps the actors react to the world around them better! So, Oreki, you know these kids?"

"This is a student of mine, Emi, and these are her friends. They're students at Zenith Academy out on the bay."

"I'd expect only the best from one of Tanaka-sensei's students! I mean, I hired you in particular for a reason! So, how do you kids like the Academy?"

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 6, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yukina Matsudaira

Yukina smiles. "Zenith Academy is a wonderful school." She folds her hands primly before herself. "I hope everything's been going well with the filming here. This is a very scenic city to choose, but... what sort of story are you telling in it?"

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

Toon

Toon tosses his empty cup into the closest trash can, not even looking ad it lands cleanly, all his attention on the actor right in front of him. Eyes wide and full of stars, he hurries over, nearly bulldozing Yukina out of his way. "Oh my god its such a great honor to meet you Mr. Albert!" At this point Toon is frantically pumping his and Sebastian's arms in what may be the world's most vigorous handshake. "That scene in Breakfast Cult with the possessed blender hadme crying with laughter even as I covered my eyes to try and block out some of the gore!" From nowhere he produces a Criterion Collection dvd case of the film in question, and a sharpie. "Any chance I could get an autograph? I have some friends back at school who would explode with envy. Literally, in Nitro's case!"

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Emi

Emi looks like she might explode from a different emotion entirely as she frantically tries to butt in front of Toon and dislodge his grip from Sebastian's hand, to no avail. "I'm sorry, sir, I'm sorry! I should have warned you, this one has no manners!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"It's perfectly fine, it's perfectly fine. Always good to meet a fan." Sebastian manages to pull his hand away from Toon's long enough to sign the DVD. "As for the movie, we're doing an adaptation of a pre-Eccentric story from the 1970s called Kamen Rider. A real classic never appreciated here in America!"

"I'm ready to shoot, Sebastian!"

Oh, who was that? Why it's....

Desmond Price coming out of his trailer in costume. Well, not Kamen Rider costume. They use a stuntman for that.

"We'll start in a minute, Desmond! Hey kids, we're about to start shooting, but feel free to stick around and watch."

And with that, Sebastian walks over to the camera rig, Tanaka following behind after bowing to you.

"Okay, this is the pre-transformation fight scene! Cameras.....action!"

True to Sebastian's words, it is most certainly a fight scene between Desmond and a few enemy henchmen. The fight choreography is fluid, but not overly flashy and is most certainly Tanaka's style. The crowd around is enraptured. I guess it is true that people still like controlled action in this age of true heroics.

The shoot is cut short, however, when three masked men storm their way onto the set and start shooting wildly into the air, causing the crowd to disperse.

"Alright, everyone, just be cool! This is a hostage situation!"

Oh poo poo, it looks like three criminals have taken the entire set hostage! You guys gotta do something!

Haha! Initiative time!
Masked Man A: 6
Masked Man B: 6
Masked Man C: 10

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Ally Traynor

Allison immediately goes still when Price walks out of his trailer. The only moves she makes are to track him around the set with her eyes. Turning real pink isn't moving, but she does that too.

In fact, she's so caught up with staring that it takes her an awfully long time to realize the guys with guns are, y'know, guys with guns, with ill will towards others. Oops.

Init is an astounding 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff
Emi Kurosawa

Emi finds herself enjoying the fight choreography so much she starts moving along with it slightly unconsciously. She's so into it that when the masked men burst onto the scene, she's already in fighting mode and ready to act, considering what her first move should be.

Much better than last time with an 8

• Locked thread