Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
"I was straight edge. Then I turned 21." - Every straight edge person ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

BigBoss posted:

look this guy refused a drug fueled orgy ehs legit

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
hey guys how do i ask my GF if its ok to hold her hand, we have been going out for 9 months is that long enough to be ok with hand holding?

ggadwa
Jan 3, 2015

Somewhat Grim, way behind on the Reaping

Applewhite posted:

One time a guy offered me some vodka and cranberry juice in a plastic cup but I told him "no thanks!" Because my body is a temple. This was at a party. I may not have left with any girls that night, but I did leave with something far more rewarding: my sobriety.

That seems so heartfelt but this forum can be like the guy in front of a haunted house with an obvious human skin mask telling you it's OK inside, and you going "that sounds reasonable! I mean, dear, look at the artistry on that human skin, that is, without a doubt, masterful! You can trust a guy like that!"

Now I walk into the haunted house: Applewhite, did you have problems with alcohol before?

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ggadwa posted:

Thanks Puppy Galaxy!

Enfield, thanks for the feedback. I guess I won't be licensing your brilliant "ricocheting sex" story for the next episode :)

pls dont burn me

ggadwa
Jan 3, 2015

BigBoss posted:

Well past 21 :)

Again, straight edge is a loaded term. It's militaristic, and it usually means a lot more than I do. It's just a convenient short hand for "no booze, no drugs, no smokes." In it's early punk days, it was a rally cry and I really never liked that. I never advertised it, never thought I was better.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

ggadwa posted:

Again, straight edge is a loaded term. It's militaristic, and it usually means a lot more than I do. It's just a convenient short hand for "no booze, no drugs, no smokes." In it's early punk days, it was a rally cry and I really never liked that. I never advertised it, never thought I was better.

The Gangland episode about FSU was the loving worst one.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

do you vote for the national prohibition party

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
the op could have written a novel in the time he typed up all those words today, but its probably for the best that he didnt

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ggadwa posted:

lol i assumed you were like 17 or something. this is pretty sad dude

ggadwa
Jan 3, 2015

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

do you vote for the national prohibition party

Nope, as I said, I have no problem with others doing drugs or booze (I do have a problem with smoking, though, but I keep my mouth shut.) I don't want to tell others how to live their lives, nor do I want laws telling them how.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

back in the old days if you were a grown man who wouldnt drink whiskey youd be tarred and feathered, ran out of town on a rail and raped in the woods

I'm gettin all misty eyed here

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

lol i assumed you were like 17 or something. this is pretty sad dude

dude is 47, hence the star trek question earlier

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

BigBoss posted:

-Also every kid not cool enough to know someone who sells weed

ggadwa
Jan 3, 2015

Just not making friends today, am I? So much easier in the old days! Throw a brick at somebody, instant friendship!

newreply.php posted:

dude is 47, hence the star trek question earlier

You kind of lost me with that one, I wasn't sure where you were going with that, not hiding my age!

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

HollisBrown posted:

-Also every kid not cool enough to know someone who sells weed

I'm amazed people still smoke weed. Mommy's medicine cabinet has way better stuff in it usually.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

back in the old days the only straight edge was the knife with which we slit the throats of the teetotalers and baptists

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ggadwa posted:

Just not making friends today, am I? So much easier in the old days! Throw a brick at somebody, instant friendship!

Ignatz Mouse's account spotted.

ggadwa
Jan 3, 2015

Applewhite posted:

Ignatz Mouse's account spotted.

Nice catch!

I read Krazy Kat when it came out, straight in the newspaper, during my shifts at the textile factory, running back and forth under some machine we were never told the name of, but little Bobby referred to as "the eater of arms." It got Bobby next, ironically, starting with his head. I don't think the joke was lost on Bobby. We got extra rations that day!

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug
sXe got real big around my senior year in highschool, right when I was getting into the local hardcore scene so I was around it alot. My ex-boyfriend got really mad at me for smoking a cigarette and snatched it out of my mouth threw it on the ground while crying, and I just stared at him. Then he got really famous playing in a Christian hardcore band while I went away to college. We hung out a few times after that, and he told me at one point that I had bipolar disorder because I didn't have Jesus in my life. Stopped talking to him after that. Anyway my point is sXe is dumb.

ggadwa
Jan 3, 2015

anglerfish posted:

sXe got real big around my senior year in highschool, right when I was getting into the local hardcore scene so I was around it alot. My ex-boyfriend got really mad at me for smoking a cigarette and snatched it out of my mouth threw it on the ground while crying, and I just stared at him. Then he got really famous playing in a Christian hardcore band while I went away to college. We hung out a few times after that, and he told me at one point that I had bipolar disorder because I didn't have Jesus in my life. Stopped talking to him after that. Anyway my point is sXe is dumb.

X is also relatively dangerous as people tend to take it before going out to clubs, and their internal temperature gauge can become very mixed up, and that when you hear about the kids dropping dead or unconscious.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Straight edge is pretty dumb, but there are some great straight-edge hardcore bands like Gorilla Biscuits and Ten Yard Fight.

Please do not say these bands are bad because you will be wrong. Peace be upon you.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

this one time my straight edge got bent and i couldn't make lines straight at all! they were all curved and that just couldn't stand. i bought a new one at the hardware store and now all my lines are straight. thanks straight edge!

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

ggadwa posted:

probably just say "oh sorry i dont drink or smoke" instead of saying ur straightedge

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug

ggadwa posted:

X is also relatively dangerous as people tend to take it before going out to clubs, and their internal temperature gauge can become very mixed up, and that when you hear about the kids dropping dead or unconscious.

This is all true, but I never said anything about ecstasy? Isn't sXe a way to say straight-edge, or was that just around in the early 2000's?

ggadwa
Jan 3, 2015

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

probably just say "oh sorry i dont drink or smoke" instead of saying ur straightedge

Yup, that's what I do, I just thought it was OK for a title. Apologies.

ggadwa
Jan 3, 2015

anglerfish posted:

This is all true, but I never said anything about ecstasy? Isn't sXe a way to say straight-edge, or was that just around in the early 2000's?

Remember, I'm an old guy, so my "straight edge" days was Minor Threat, back in the 80s. I assumed you were talking about X from the context. My bad!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The only thing i hate about sXe is that they think boring rear end stories are interesting, and worth telling.
Has anything actually interesting ever happened to you, OP? Or is it all just "here's an interesting story because nothing happened! Crepe paper in trees omg!!!"

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Smoking is pretty legit dumb though. Lol if you're over the age of 16 and still smoke.

ggadwa
Jan 3, 2015

Drunk Nerds posted:

The only thing i hate about sXe is that they think boring rear end stories are interesting, and worth telling.
Has anything actually interesting ever happened to you, OP? Or is it all just "here's an interesting story because nothing happened! Crepe paper in trees omg!!!"

I honestly thought that I was going to start a thread where other people like me could trade stories, and boy oh boy oh boy did that not turn out like expected. Usually that story gets laughs when I tell it, but maybe I should stick to oral traditions!

Or ole day jokes those seem to be going over well!

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Drunk Nerds posted:

Its because straight edge people are boring cunts who don't have any personality.

Also I've got a straight edge vegan atheist on my Facebook. It's amazing.

ggadwa
Jan 3, 2015

Whorelord posted:

Its because straight edge people are boring cunts who don't have any personality.

Also I've got a straight edge vegan atheist on my Facebook. It's amazing.

Whew, I'm not a vegan, I dodged the bullet on that one!

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Enfield posted:

This reminds of a funny story, one time i took this girl home and just as things started heatin' up, she started just shaking her booty. She was shaking it so fast that it basically was a blur, and then out of no where she lifts off and starts ricocheting around the apt, just smashing into poo poo, hurtling from wall to wall. well i was frantically juking my pelvis and windmilling my dick around, looking for a point of entry but she had already ejected out a window and was tearing up everyth8ng in a 5 mile radius

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

HollisBrown posted:

Lol if you're over the age of 16 and still smoke.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

at least if you quit because youre an alcoholic you probably did lots of cool and shameful poo poo in the past you can talk about, like ramming a car into a tree or something. also you have an actual reason to not drink

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

drat i wanna gently caress a flubber rear end

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Taking an all-or-nothing approach to anything is pretty dumb.

ggadwa
Jan 3, 2015

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

at least if you quit because youre an alcoholic you probably did lots of cool and shameful poo poo in the past you can talk about, like ramming a car into a tree or something. also you have an actual reason to not drink

I ran a car into a light pole, brought it down, and watch sparks shower across the road. Was T-boned by a kid who stole his father's car (no license) to impress his girlfriend, hit me, spun me around, and then into the light pole.

Neither of us were drinking, though!

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

If part of the appeal of going straight edge is that you make good choices please explain why this guy got a tattoo of Richard Dawkins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

ggadwa posted:

I ran a car into a light pole, brought it down, and watch sparks shower across the road. Was T-boned by a kid who stole his father's car (no license) to impress his girlfriend, hit me, spun me around, and then into the light pole.

Neither of us were drinking, though!

okay so you kept your body clean and are still barely alive despite your idiocy. seems like you shoulda just drank the booze.

• Locked thread