Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
IT'S THAT TIME BICHEES :duckie:

Songs for the first two episodes are up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well I don't know about y'all but I really liked the premiere. :buddy: A lot of wicked smart moments with tons of heartfelt writing as well.

Sue is definitely the most tired and useless part of the show, but I'm willing to accept that she needs to be there doing this...thing...in order for the current plot to work.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Aww, AnimeJune fluffing Karofsky like it's her job. Really does feel like old times. :v:

I dunno if I ever said it here but I quite disliked the way that Kurt and Blaine ended up in season 5. They were broken without actually realizing it, or denying it whenever they did. Blaine was the same daydreaming kid that he was in high school, simultaneously the most committed and untrustworthy partner to be with. And Kurt was, despite all the best intentions and all the love in the world, coming across like the type of hair-trigger control freak that no one should ever actually want to be. The two of them make big comforting heartfelt speeches to each other that go in one ear and out the other, temporary salves for recurring wounds.

So I'm actually really really glad that they're hellsa broken up right now. It's probably the best thing the show could have done with them.

That said...y'realize there's no way they're not gonna end up back together, yeah? Ryan Murphy, despite all appearances, is not a cynic. He is actually the biggest loving sappiest, mushiest, most hopeless romantic in the world; there's no way Kurt and Blaine aren't reuniting in some sappy mushy hopelessly romantic way. This thing with Karofsky is surprisingly funny and not terrible, but it's also obviously meant to line up with the whole The Darkest Timeline thing they've got going on this season. Finn is gone, glee club is gone, Schuester's coaching the rivals, Rachel's crashed and burned, and Kurt's ex-fiance is now dating his ex-stalker. These are all meant to be problems that will be fixed. (Well, aside from the whole dead Finn thing I guess, but hey y'never know)

The most we can hope for is that they don't throw Karofsky too far under the bus in that process, 'cuz the character really doesn't deserve that at this point.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Next episode songs! Lotsa duets. :3:

Quinn's probably singing to Puck or something lame like that but I like to imagine Tina is her next conquest.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 14, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I've long since realized that I don't like Becky and I'll probably never like Becky. So I was definitely in a state of disassociated annoyance throughout that whole plot.

But I also realize how loving important Becky is as a character and how important this plot was, and Beiste's plot as well, and how Glee is the only drat show out there that is doing anything like this. Seriously, I challenge someone to find any other show other that with balls as steel hard as Glee's, so I can watch that show after Glee ends to get my weekly fix of queer tears and storylines.

Brittany and Santana were great. I'm glad they finally got multiple meaningful conversations and a happy ending after all the...not meaningful...stuff they've been through.

Oh yeah requisite mention: Sam Evans is still amazing. I'm a little disappointed that he didn't mention Unique at all during Beiste's revelation, just as a "Oh so you mean you're like Unique then?" mention. I'd be more disappointed if I didn't know Unique was coming back in a couple weeks though.

:haw: Glee :haw:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think the message really was that this guy really does like Becky and really did want to date her and that there really wasn't anything wrong with that. And I hope that message sticks to the end of the show, 'cuz there was that one time they had a guy who legitimately liked Beiste and really did want to date her (him, now, I suppose?) and he turned out to be abusive and stuff :sweatdrop:

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

I've always admired how Becky is just unrelentingly vile - it's a nice change from the usual sweet-tempered Magical Downie you still see in most media.
Yeah I mean, I totally appreciate that the character exists, and I do Get The Point of what they've been trying to do with her since day one. But accepting that she's a fully-realized non-stereotypical character also means accepting that she's a really annoying character and that it's not actually very funny or enjoyable to watch her call people bitches and whores at the top of her lungs during every single scene of every single episode she appears in.

It does help that they actually had Santana acknowledge that she is in fact a really toxic person in this episode, so it's not as if the writers haven't noticed it. It also helps that her personality was actually attached to a legit plot for the first time in like a year. :v:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 18, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It was a thing at least as far back as season 3. I remember she told Rachel to stay away 'cuz she had "loser stink" after Rachel hosed up her NYADA audition.

Again, though, I guess you could argue that she was kind of a stereotypical character before then.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

For what it's worth, Becky calling Quinn "Kitty" was one of my favorite moments involving either character.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

This is the most best thing I've heard in my life pardon me while I lose my mind a little
:woop::woop::woop:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

What the gently caress did I just watch :sterv:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

...! posted:

Apologies for being a week behind, but I'm not buying the Becky storyline. I don't understand how anyone can think it would ever, under any circumstances, be OK for an adult to be in a relationship with someone who is mentally a child. That's kinda sick, regardless of the guy's intentions.
Well, evidently, the National Association for Down Syndrome thinks you are wrong and also a stanky poopface.

Way to be a downer on a night with such a delightful cracky Glee episode. :3:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah, you can't have sex with someone who can't give informed consent. Not just "this feels good" but informed consent. They've set up that it's ~true love~, but in reality, people with Down's are super vulnerable to sexual abuse. Glee has also accidentally made clear that it's not a relationship of equals, and that he likes her because she cannot function normally in society. Sounds like a fantastic basis for a relationship.
Becky and her boyfriend aren't having sex yet.

Genuine question: should people with Down Syndrome not ever be allowed to date then? By your logic they can't even date other people with Down's, because "children" can't consent to relations with other children either.

Of all the poo poo on Glee I can't believe this is the one people are now harping on

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeeah I dunno, those sites suggest that the main problem is lack of education about sex and consent, not that they literally shouldn't or couldn't consent to sex. Not that I doubt those statistics in the least, but they obviously don't apply in this case to Becky and her boyfriend, who is clearly not abusive.

It is something to be aware of, though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

God I love this crazy beautiful show. :3:

Best part of the ep was probably Kitty, but the final setlist was pretty great too. Who knew that I have pretty much the same list of vulnerable songs as Sue?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

This episode was pretty great. I do not care for Sam and Rachel at all since A) just historically-speaking Sam's relationships aren't known for lasting B) is he still hypnotized or what?

But Brittany. Brittany was amazing. I mean, I didn't miss her at all when she was gone, but I sure love her on my screen when they give her the right material. And, once again, it's great that her and Santana are having more content in ten minutes than they had in ten years.

I like how this season is legitimately doing the thing where they focus extensively on one or two character plots per episode and just let the other non-guest-starring characters off the hook for a bit, instead of trying to cram all 30+ of its recurring characters into every single minute. Even with all the songs in the episode, the pacing is much improved. Though of course when you do that, you run into the whole "Where the gently caress was Tina?" problem.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's unfortunately nothing new. Most of the best episodes of the show actually had some of the lowest ratings.

At least at this point we can pretty confidently say that it no longer matters. :v:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I actually had to take a moment to be sure that that hasn't already happened on the show.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I...did not like this episode. It was just kinda disappointing after the cracky frenetic fun of the last three episodes filled with drones and Brittany and self-references. Every time the show seems to learn from old mistakes...

We have the second "everyone get together to handhold Rachel through human life problems" plot in as many weeks. Once is sweet. Twice is "we ran out of plots." At least the house party performances were all great. Mercedes should get together with Roderick.

Beiste's plot happened exactly the way everyone would expect it to happen in every single way. Which isn't necessarily bad, except we got the same old long-suffering "We can't retaliate because we have to be better than our bullies!" passivity that has literally never made sense before on the show and didn't start now either. At least the show remembers that Unique exists...when they need to trot her out as a person-shaped fortune cookie instead of an actual character.

Will's plot...happened. Emma gives him the same speech she gave to him during the first episode of the series. I rooted a little for the Vocal Adrenaline guy.

Kurt and Blaine are the same trainwreck right now as they were at the end of the last season, except now they're wrecking other people in the process as well. Maybe Karofsky should study the receivers instead of the linemen during his games and actually catch a break for once. Actually, this isn't much different from when Kurt strung that Adam guy along and then treated him like poo poo at the end. Yes, we're literally at the point of the story where Dave Karofsky is too good for Kurt or Blaine.

:psyduck:

(Oh wait, they still have one more guy's week they have to ruin, when Kurt inevitably tells Harry Hamlin that hey hey, it's not you, it's me!)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

This is gonna sound strange but, again, all that went pretty much exactly how I expected it to go.

The episode had a lot of heart, it was so much a love letter to fans, but also used that heart and love to substitute for actual substance. Actually, the Brittana parts were more or less solid...some great parts, a couple monotonous parts...but mostly it was nice since it actually felt like a substantive, organic, fitting resolution to a plotline that they spent time and effort to build up and actualize.

The Kurt and Blaine parts...god, they tried so hard. You can just see how much of a sloppy helpless romantic Ryan Murphy actually is with every overwrought proclamation of living life and seizing moments. But there's no magical fix button when the situation was ludicrous to begin with and totally slapdash throughout the course of the ongoing plot.

The actual worst thing is that they've finally cast Blaine's mom, after neglecting to fill in his backstory for five years, in order to attend a wedding it makes no sense for her to attend, and then give her absolutely no interactions with Blaine or, heck, any lines at all when it finally does make sense for her to speak up. The hell? Did someone misplace half the script or something?

One of the best parts was actually that ending scene between Tina and Artie just for being so simple and straightforward and understated and sweet. I so wish they had more screentime, but I think it's evident that screentime doesn't necessarily translate to substance here.

And, well, the music was fabulous.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh yeah and also bonus points off for bringing back Sugar after three years without a single character remarking on it in any way whatsoever.

I like this show I swear.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

And on that lovely note, Glee has just now officially wrapped production.

msamberpriley Final goodbyes 😢 #gleegoodbye

edit:

@msleamichele One last thing. ❤️

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 22, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

:allears: Oh my god this episode was so wonderful. Nice cleanse to the palette after that wedding episode. Kitty remains the best current character.

"I don't even care if this is some weird blood diamond money. I do deserve it!"

the truth posted:

Can't make this poo poo up:
You know that Youtube views aren't synched to current number of views, right? If you click the video right when it's released, it's gonna have no views. So right now it has 301+ views -- the short-term viewership number "cap" -- same as every other video released last night.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah this was a really bad episode.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The entire episode should've been about how Blaine and the rest of the students -- particularly Jane -- reacted to the merging of the choirs. It's like they had a whole plot planned about the situation and then just decided to resolve it offscreen in time for the group number (which, apropos of nothing, was writting by Darren Criss :allears:)

I don't hate the "Will Rachel go back to school or not" plot...yet. I probably will hate it when the show makes it out like her taking a leading Broadway role is the dumb decision while her going back to NYADA for literally no reason at all is the smart decision. NYADA has been the second-worst thing about the show for several seasons now and it's nice to see things haven't changed.

The actual worst thing about the show is, of course, Sue, which makes it mega awesome how this episode spent gave us straight up thirty minutes of unadulterated Sue. :geno:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I love bizarre fever dream Glee. The two previous fever dream episodes of the season were some of my favorites. This episode was just...it's like the took a look at everything that has never worked on this show and made an entire episode out of just those things.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Aaaaand now we're back to having a pretty great episode. Glee I swear to god.

Rachel and Jesse on "Listen to Your Heart" might be my favorite song of the season. Their duets just get better and better through the years.

But the New Directions performance numbers were goddamn amazing as well, way better than last year's. The whole them and the Warblers combo thing seemed like the most absurd trainwreck last week, but turned out to be priceless.

One more week, biches and hoes. No turning back now.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

What the gently caress was up with that Myron bit? :psyboom:
Context doesn't help.

(I loved that performance though.)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Kitty has been my hands down favorite character of the season. How far she's come from the character whose first real storyline was all about making Marley think she's bulimic. :sweatdrop:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Tonight's the night, homies and homos.

On this baleful eve we weed out the weak from the strong, the chaff from the oak, the men/women/transmen/transwomen/Santanas from the boys/girls/Quinns.

I wanna thank Grilled Christ for dragging me kicking and screaming through the past six years and for giving me the strength to withstand the Kate Hudson episodes and also that one about vapo-rape. Also, the twerking. I am truly a changed man thanks to Glee, and me and my newfound arrhythmia will be always be grateful for it.

Godspeed, all you nubile singers/dancers/folks-who-kinda-tried.

Malpais Legate posted:

That still doesn't explain the borderline creepy Lea Michelle worship. After ever episode this thread was flooded with "X should have been a Lea Michelle solo" and I honestly can't tell if you guys are being ironic about it or not.
Yeah the truth is literally the only one who does this. I mean, I like her songs too, but he's the one who's been...uh, fappy...about it forever.

Now, Darren Criss on the other hand...:allears:

Oasx posted:

The joke is that for the last four seasons everything has revolved around her character, and now suddenly we have several episodes where she barely speaks.
Everything still revolves around her character. The last few episodes made huge deals about her Life Decision Woes, and multiple episodes of the season were all about characters literally upending their lives and flying across the country to handhold her through her issues.

Which is fine, I mean, it gave the season...somewhat...of an arc. I'd rather seven more hours about poor Rachel's pre-mid-life-crises than another instant spent on Sue or Will*.

*well, not really

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 20, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Here we loving go

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

So far everything is just goddamn adorable :3:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hahahaha it's like some beautiful unholy marriage between season 1 Tina and season 4 Tina

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I’m so drained right now I need like five steaks

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

So as someone who fell off the train early season 4, how did it end?
Kurt and Blaine impregnate Rachel together.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Joe was there; blink and you'll miss, etc. Rory and Marley were the two missing. Well, and Myron I guess, but it would've been hard to do a five year time skip for him. Shoulda just put a mustache on him and said that he was 18 during that scene.

Sam dating Rachel really was super hella pointless when all was said and done.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I don't think taking over the glee club was even a wholly "Finn" thing either. Sam and Blaine pretty much co-ran the New Directions in season 4 and 5. Of all things to come out of nowhere on this show, this one did come out of somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean, I get what you're trying to say but, like...literally no. None of Sam's lines in the finale would've worked if they were transplanted onto Finn.

• Locked thread