Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Denarion Verdefen

Denarion watches in horror as these creatures seem to spring from the woodwork to attack his allies.
"Louise! Charles! I'll be right there, just, drat this putrid pile of potions!"

Denarion doesn't really have the space to go around the puddle, not with Redcaps ravaging Louise and harassing Charles. He breaks into a run and takes a flying leap across the puddle. It's quite impressive, and he lands safely on the other side, sword at the ready.
"Everyone, lets end this quicklly!"
Denarion is a flurry of magic and swordwork. His trusty servitor is playing his lute, filling everyone with fervor against these creatures. He swipes at a Redcap's back, leaving a bloody gash. He points a hand towards Louise, and her shield arm seems to shimmer with energy.
"I doubt a few overblown tricksters will hold us for long. Just make sure our dwarf friend is okay!"

Moving and leaping over that purple drank, Woods Wanderer + Str: 1d20+9 23 I assume that makes it
Engaging with Green Redcap (That's not going to get weird)
Mmm, Song of Heroes! Everyone gets +1 to all attacks!
Swording the Green Redcap, Hits for 10 damage!
16+ roll, Louise gets +2 to AC until the start of my next turn.

pre:
Denarion Verdefen

Stats		Per-Battle		Daily/Recharge
HP	36/36	Lethal		[ ]	Spilt Blood 	[ ]	
AC	16	Pull it Tog.	[ ][ ]	Hero Song (11+)	[X]
PD	14	Cantrips 	[ ][ ]	Charm Person	[ ]
MD	13				Shield (11+)	[ ]
Rec.	8/8 (2d8+2)			Skald Feat	[ ]
If a non-mook hits my AC, use shield to force a re-roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

The Storm Wardens react quickly and violently to the attack. Spells, sword blows, and blessings fly in every direction. Most of the party are watching the redcaps so carefully - desperately attempting to avoid being attacked, that they don't notice the smaller figures sneaking from the grass.

Celeanor on the other hand is examining the sides of the path when the redcaps attack, and his eyes catch sight of the goblinoid figure sneaking its way towards him. It is an ugly cherub of a creature, with a cap as red as the others, but squatter in shape. His boots are smaller, the spikes closer to nubs. It would be almost cute in a hideous way, if not for the long shards of glass clutched in its fists. It slashes for the dark elf's face, but his aim is wide.

The second of the smaller goblinoids rips his way through the grasses with a pair of over-sized scissors clutched in front of him. The rusty shears SNIP SNIP SNIP as he charges, giggling, for the still injured dwarf. Louise sees what is coming and manages to intercept just in time.

The puddle of volatile chemicals spreads. Purple crystals form on the puddle's surface and silver smoke that stinks of rotten meat wafts through the air.

Splotchcap Red Vs Celeanor AC - miss!
Splotchcap Blue Vs Dwarf AC - INTERCEPTED
Splotchcap Blue Vs Louise AC - miss!

29 - Redcap Green - HP 27/42, AC 17, PD 18, MD 15
29 - Redcap Orange - HP 18/42, AC 17, PD 18, MD 15 Stag Paladin Challenge
20 - Rowan Hawthorn - HP 24/24, AC 14 , PD 12, MD 16
20 - Louise Septienne - HP 29/44, AC 22 (+2 Louise +2 Denarion), PD 14, MD 16 5ongoing Paladin Challenge
17 - Denarion Verdefen - HP 36/36, AC 16, PD 14, MD 13
16 - Splotchcap Red - HP 32/32, AC 16, PD 14, MD 13
16 - Splotchcap Blue - HP 32/32, AC 16, PD 17, MD 14
12 - Celeanor - HP 32/32, AC 14, PD 15, MD 13
10 - Charles Aldebraun - HP 36/36, AC 19, PD 15, MD 15

+0 Escalation Dice

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Charles Aldebraun

"Fiend! You would attack a downed man!?" This is not surprising for a redcap, but it is still worth getting angry about. Charles makes a move toward Louise and the dwarf, but the other redcap is having none of it. "Nobody will like you if you're so clingy, you know?" He takes a swipe at the beast with his mace, but despite Denarion at its back, its focus is on Charles and it is able to turn the blow aside with those nasty knives. Charles makes a face.

"Hang on Louise, we'll be there in two shakes of a rabbit's tail! In the meantime..." The redcap still off balance from the parry, Charles's eyes flash as he takes the opportunity to provide some relief to Louise.

Tried to disengage, but no luck. Tried to hit the thing, but swing and a miss. 2 damage to Green.
Louise can spend a recovery and get plus 4 to the healing.
Leadership domain! Everyone gets +1 to attack Green until my next turn.

Disengage: 1d20 4 Fail!
Mace this guy: 1d20+3+2 9 Miss!

pre:
Charles Aldebraun

Stats		Per-Battle		Daily
HP	36/36	Heal		[X][X]	Bless	 	[ ]	
Rec.	8/8	War Buddies	[ ]	Shield of Faith	[ ]
AC	19	Domain (Pro.)	[ ]	Invoke (Pro.)	[ ]
PD	15				Invoke (Lead.)  [ ]
MD	15				Invoke (Heal)    [ ]

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
Louise Septienne

"Aah, that feels better but don't worry about- Ow!- me, I've got this!" Louise tries to shake off the terrible creatures and their prodding.

The redcap keeps tugging at her and poking her with its knife. "Ow! That's it, I'm going to take that stupid cap of yours and shove it down your throat!"

Recovery: 18 HP Healed.

pre:
Louise Septienne

HP	44/44	[X] Demonic Smite	[ ][ ][ ] Demonic Smite	
AC	22(+4)	[ ] Bastion		[X] Glazenthorg the Bloody 
PD	14	[X] Curse of Chaos	[ ] Shield of Recovery
MD	16
Rec.	9/10 (2d10+2)

Threatening		Enemies get -2 to disengage from Louise
Paladin's Challenge	Target: Redcap (Orange)
Defensive Fighting	+2 AC until end of my next turn
Stay Strong!		+2 AC until Denarion's next turn.
Song of Heroes		+1 Attack until Denarion's next turn.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Celeanor

"Ex-cuse you!" Celeanor dances back, but the creature matches him. "A little help, please? I'm allergic to glass shards in my eyes!" Around him, power builds. Idly, he hopes it doesn't set off the puddle, as a small flare of fire goes off next to his head, driving the creature back.

Disengage: 1d20 3
Chaotic Benefit: 1d6 2 +1 AC

pre:
Celeanor

HP	32/32	Cruel	[ ]	       Breath of the White][ ]	
AC	14(15)	                       Lightning Fork[ ]
PD	15	
MD	13
Rec.	8/8 (2d6+2)

Temporary Effects	Effect		Duration
+1 AC                                                        SoNT

Items

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Charles has a little trouble dealing with the ugly little things finding himself simultaneously unable to escape the nearest redcap, or fight it. Celeanor has trouble getting away from his attacker, but finds himself well defended by the flares of energy that seem to indicate his growing arcane power.

The redcap atop Louise's back roars with laughter at the appearance of the splotchcap aremed with scissors. Kicking at her chest with its spiky boots, it drags one blade from her spine and repeatedly stabs her in the arm with it before waving it around its head and splashing the area with blood. You start to get an idea of how the redcaps dye their hats. Returning the blade to her spine, he attempts to stab her in the back of the skull with the other, but her pained writhing makes it hard to aim.

Founding itself at the centre of two enemies, the other redcap leaps onto the point of one iron boot. He grins manically at Denarion, then Charles, then spins wildly on the spot, becoming a dervish of razor blade slashes. Fortunately the attack is more asthetic than effective, and both Storm Wardens manage to avoid getting cut.

Redcap Orange Vs Louise AC(x2) - drat good roll - a hit! Miss! 6 damage!
Redcap Green Vs Charles AC - Miss!
Redcap Green Vs Denarion AC - Miss!

29 - Redcap Green - HP 25/42, AC 17, PD 18, MD 15
29 - Redcap Orange - HP 18/42, AC 17, PD 18, MD 15 Stag Paladin Challenge
20 - Rowan Hawthorn - HP 24/24, AC 14 , PD 12, MD 16
20 - Louise Septienne - HP 38/44, AC 22 (+2 Louise +2 Denarion), PD 14, MD 16 5ongoing Paladin Challenge

16 - Splotchcap Red - HP 32/32, AC 16, PD 14, MD 13
12 - Celeanor - HP 32/32, AC 14 (Celeanor), PD 15, MD 13
+1 Escalation Dice

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Louise Septienne

Louise winces as she is stabbed in her sword arm. "I said get off!" She quickly punches at the redcap with her left arm, the edge of her shield hits it square in the face, shattering its nose and throwing it off her back.

"I promised you pain didn't I? Now stand still and let me feed you your cap!"

Attack Redcap (Orange): 1d20+8 17, Hit! for 2d8+4 15 Damage!
Natural 9, Carve an Opening: My crit range increases by 1.

Louise takes 5 ongoing damage.
Save vs Redcap: 14, I'm free!
Skilled Intercept: 10, Nope!

pre:
Louise Septienne

HP	33/44	[X] Demonic Smite	[ ][ ][ ] Demonic Smite	
AC	22	[ ] Bastion		[X] Glazenthorg the Bloody 
MD	16
Rec.	9/10 (2d10+2)

Carve an Opening	+1 Crit range until I score a crit.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Rowan Hawthorn

"Hold on, Celeanor! I'm right behind you!" Rowan counts his lucky stars that the drat redcap was too jittery to stay on the other side of the sorceror for long. Otherwise his shot would be completely blocked!

Ray of Frost Attack(Int+lvl+ED+SoH)vs PD - Splotchcap Red: 1d20+8 11 MISS, Splotchcap Red takes 2 damage

Rowan curses as the bouncy little goblin jerks out of the way at the last second, barely grazing the ray of frost.

pre:
Rowan Hawthorn

Stats		      At Will:   	        Daily/Recharge:
HP	24/24	      Cantrips                  Acid Arrow(2)  [ ][ ]	
Rec.	8/8	      Ray of Frost(1)	        Utility(1)     [ ][ ]
AC	14            Shocking Grasp(1)         Charm Person(1)[ ]
PD	13            
MD	16            Per Battle/Cyclic:
                      Counter-Magic (free reaction) [ ]

Talents:
High Arcana
Abjuration
Cantrip Mastery (w/Feat)

Items: Healing Potion: Standard action: Recovery + 1d8 hp, does not heal beyond 30hp. 
Forest Warden Cloak: +1PD, +4 to Nature-related Skill Checks.
Adventurers' Writ - The Storm Wardens

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Denarion Verdefen

The servitor on Denarion's back moves on to the bridge. You have to admit, it's pretty talented.
Denarion, in the meantime, contemplates moving to help Louise in person. But the Redcap threatens and pokes at him with its knife, keeping the half Orc from moving on. Denarion swings wildly to ward it off, but does little but cause it to snigger cruelly.

"Blasted things, but I won't be made useless! Celeanor, heads up!"
Denarion snaps his fingers, and a brief flash of light disorients the splotch cap for a second, giving the space for Celeanor to back away without being cut.

Song save: 1d20 11 makes it! Everyone still gets +1 to all attacks
Disengage: 1d20 6 staying put then
Attacking redcap green, Miss, 2 damage
Still, even roll! Celeanor makes a free disengage check, and makes it! he pops free from the splotch cap. Who... will probably just re engage next turn but it's the thought that counts. Maybe Rowan can intercept.

Reminder, I'm gonna be incommunicado for about 24 hours. Though I might log on during a layover. If you're waiting on me, just have Denarion sword something. 1d20+5, 2d8+3 without bonuses.

pre:
Denarion Verdefen

MD	13				Shield (11+)	[ ]
Rec.	8/8 (2d8+2)			Skald Feat	[ ]

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Louise is finally able to struggle free of the redcap on her back. Throwing it to the ground, she readies herself and is filled with the confidence of battle!

One of the splotchcaps takes a nasty cut from Rowan's ray of frost, before sharpening his blades and retaliating at Celeanor. Grinning with an intense, fiery mania in his eye, he goes for the dark elf, who escapes in a bright flash of light. The splotchcap takes this in stride, and charges for the other wizard instead. He is forced to leap over the puddle to do, but his little legs propel him clear with ease. Thrusting a razor deep into Rowan's chest, he cackles and twists, causing some severe bleeding.

The other splotchcap eyes the injured dwarf and attempts to slip away, but Louise is alert and cuts his path with her sword. He retaliates with a flurry of cuts that fly harmlessly off of her armor.

Splotchcap Red jump the puddle - Hit!
Splotchcap Red Vs Rowan AC - Hit! 5 damage and ongoing 2 damage.
Splotchcap Blue disengage - fail!
Splotchcap Blue Vs Louise AC - Miss!

29 - Redcap Green - HP 23/42, AC 17, PD 18, MD 15
29 - Redcap Orange - HP 3/42, AC 17, PD 18, MD 15 Stag Paladin Challenge
20 - Rowan Hawthorn - HP 19/24, AC 14 , PD 12, MD 16 2Ongoing
20 - Louise Septienne - HP 33/44, AC 22 , PD 14, MD 16 Paladin Challenge
16 - Splotchcap Red - HP 30/32, AC 16, PD 14, MD 13

+1 Escalation Dice

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Charles Aldebraun

"Energetic, aren't you?" He tries once more to move toward Louise, but despite being busy with Denarion the lunatic is able to keep one knife trained on Charles. "If it's a fight you want then, you shall have it!" His mace swings in again, this time glancing along the top of it's head, nearly knocking it's cap right off. This, more than any of the actual damage caused, seems to enrage the little beastie , who snarls and gnashes it's teeth.

"Well if you don't like it, you can just scamper on back home, you."

Attempt to disengage from Green: 1d20 9 Fail!
Okay well, smack Green: 1d20+3+2+1+1 26 Hit!
Damage: 2d6+3 10

And everyone gets +1 on attacks against the Green until my next turn.

pre:
Charles Aldebraun

Stats		Per-Battle		Daily
HP	36/36	Heal		[X][X]	Bless	 	[ ]	
Rec.	8/8	War Buddies	[ ]	Shield of Faith	[ ]
AC	19	Domain (Pro.)	[ ]	Invoke (Pro.)	[ ]
PD	15				Invoke (Lead.)  [ ]
MD	15				Invoke (Heal)    [ ]

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Celeanor

"When I said get away from me-" Celeanor's hands flare with chaotic power, seeking a stable configuration- "I didn't mean pick on him instead, you incorrigible pricks!"

He lets loose, and perhaps influenced by recent events, a double-wide streak of lightning lashes out, nearly vaporizing the irritating splotchcap in a single shot. Adding insult to massive chest wound, a sparking arc slaps it upside the head one final time.

Chaos Bolto: 1d20+7 23 1d8+5 12 1d6 3 Doubled from gather power to 24 damage to Splotchcap Red. Chaotic benefit deals another 2 damage to any staggered enemies, including that guy.
Damage Type: 1d4 3 LIGHTNING

pre:
Celeanor

HP	32/32	Cruel	[ ]	       Breath of the White][ ]	
AC	14	                       Lightning Fork[ ]
PD	15	
MD	13
Rec.	8/8 (2d6+2)

Temporary Effects	Effect		Duration

Items

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Charles enrages his foe with a well-placed swing of his mace, but fails to cause any serious pain.

Fortunately, Celeanor unleashes hell upon the battlefield - his unstable chaos magics ripping and tearing through the goblinoids. Taken down to the very brink of death, the splothcap attacking Rowan doesn't have a chance as the the pool of liquid spreads, seeping beneath him. He squeals as he is engulfed in green flames and collapses into mush. Denarion is also caught in the chemical fire, but handles it much better.

The redcap spinning on the spot takes advantage of the spreading puddle in order to close in on Denarion. Charles moves in to try and assist and both are viciously sliced by the whirling cyclone of cackling cuts.

The other redcap is in bad shape and seems to understand it. Its laughter has become a wheezing splutter and it is forced to support itself by leaning on its blades. Eyeing Louise in all her fearsome glory, it opts to try once again for simpler prey. Louise gives no quarter as it attempts to slip in the direction of the dwarf, and it is forced to attack her instead.

Denarion and Splotchcap Red take 5 fire damage from the puddle!
Redcap Green Vs Denarion AC - Hit! 6 Damage!
Redcap Green Vs Charles AC - Hit! 6 Damage!
Redcap Orange Disengage - Fail!
Redcap Orange Vs Louise AC - Miss!

29 - Redcap Green - HP 11/42, AC 17, PD 18, MD 15 Stag
29 - Redcap Orange - HP 1/42, AC 17, PD 18, MD 15 Stag Paladin Challenge
20 - Rowan Hawthorn - HP 19/24, AC 14 , PD 12, MD 16 2Ongoing
20 - Louise Septienne - HP 33/44, AC 22 , PD 14, MD 16 Paladin Challenge
17 - Denarion Verdefen - HP 25/36, AC 16, PD 14, MD 13 Puddle

10 - Charles Aldebraun - HP 30/36, AC 19, PD 15, MD 15
+2 Escalation Dice

If Sock and GreenInternt post before McP, I'll take his turn for him.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Rowan Hawthorn

Rowan winces as his side bleeds. He tries to cauterize the wound with a quick zap of fire, but his concentration is off and he only singes the ground.

Ongoing Damage Save: 1d20 5 NOPE

He fights through the pain, however. There were redcaps about! After Taking a few prudent steps away from the pool of arcane goo, he grips his frost-stone tightly in his hands. Perhaps it was the proximity to the volatile mass of potions, perhaps it was just his own magical training refocusing him. Whatever the reason, Rowan bullseyes the Splotchcap harassing Louise with a blast of frozen air and rime.

"Just finish them off already! This puddle is getting unstable!"

Ray of Frost Attack(Int+lvl+ED+2 vs pd) - Splotchcap Blue: 1d20+4+2+2+1 29 CRIIIIIT CaptainIndigo let me change my target to Splotchcap Blue after I rolled the crit. I adjusted the final total to adjust for to-hit bonuses in-play, but that doesn't really matter.
Ray of Frost Damage: 3d6 11 Doubled! 22

pre:
Rowan Hawthorn

HP	17/24	      Cantrips                  Acid Arrow(2)  [ ][ ]	
Rec.	8/8	      Ray of Frost(1)	        Utility(1)     [ ][ ]
PD	13            

Talents:
High Arcana
Abjuration
Cantrip Mastery (w/Feat)

Items: Healing Potion: Standard action: Recovery + 1d8 hp, does not heal beyond 30hp. 

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 29, 2015

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Louise Septienne

"Where are you trying to sneak off to?" Louise prevents the creatures from getting past her. "I haven't introduced you to my blade yet!"

Louise brings Glazenthrog down hard on the smaller of the two sadistic creatures. It brings its scissors up to parry just as Rowan's ice magic hits it. The creature freezes where it stands and then the blade connects, breaking the scissors into small pieces, then continues unopposed down the center of the splotchcap. It shatters into bloody chunks.

Attack Splotchcap (Blue): 1d20+5 25, Hit! for (2d8+4)*2 38 Damage! Also changing target because our GM isn't nearly adversarial enough
Natural 20, Defensive Fighting: +2 AC until end of next turn.

pre:
Louise Septienne

HP	33/44	[X] Demonic Smite	[ ][ ][ ] Demonic Smite	
AC	22(+2)	[ ] Bastion		[X] Glazenthorg the Bloody 
MD	16
Rec.	9/10 (2d10+2)

Defensive Fighting	+2 AC until end of my next turn.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

As chunks of frozen splotchcap litter the ground, the bard Denarion performs some fancy footwork and peppers the redcap before him with a flurry of sword blows. Giggling, even as it collapses backwards and dies, the redcap is defeated. Its companion, still supporting itself on limbs of knife, watches its death throes with amusement, allowing Charles to easily bop it on the head with his mace. The final redcap collapses, unconscious but not QUITE dead.

Denarion Vs Redcap Green AC - Hit! 16 damage!
Charles automatically does 1 damage.
Combat over!

The dwarf squirms against his cart, inching a hand upto his blood-soaked neck. He gently checks the injury and finds it all but completely healed. His pale face regains some of its colour as he coughs and wheezes his way back to health. He spits blood on the ground, then wipes the blood from his neck with the back of one hand.

"You folks have no idea how obliged I am. Might want to watch that puddle of goo, I've got a whole lot of crazy chemicals brewing in the back of the wagon... well I did before those little psychopaths raided me. Crazy little things!"

He waddles over to the cart and digs through the mess of broken glass with a moan.

"King curse 'em, would you look at this mess? Bastard things wrecked near everything!"

He struggles to turn the cart back up right alone.

"Would one of you mind lending me a hand, I got something for you in there but... I can't get to it right now without either slicing my arm to ribbons or worse, dipping it in the mixture. One would hurt, the other... well I don't care to think what I might be turned into!"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Rowan Hawthorn

Rowan gingerly steps around the pool of goo. "You know, once we're done here, we should probably destroy this pool. I think a small spark of magic might set it off and let it consume itself. As for the leaks..."

Rowan conjures a small swarm of magical servitors, and instructs them to patch any holes in the wagon.

"That ought to make it a bit safer to move the cart." Rowan finds a nice rock to sit on, and checks his own wounds. With a bit of conjured cold and a small compress, he's able to stop the last trickle of blood from the cut on his side.

Recovery: 2d6 7

pre:
Rowan Hawthorn

HP	24/24	      Cantrips                  Acid Arrow(2)  [ ][ ]	
Rec.	7/8	      Ray of Frost(1)	        Utility(1)     [ ][ ]
PD	13            

Talents:
High Arcana
Abjuration
Cantrip Mastery (w/Feat)

Casting Mending on the cart.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Louise Septienne

Louise sheathes her sword. There was no need to wipe it off, it had hardly gotten bloody since the splotchcap had been frozen.
Glazenthrog Recharge 4, no dice!

She does wipe off her horns with a piece of cloth though. I can't believe that filthy creature did that! And of course it was the one that Charles just had to leave alive.

"Does this happen often around here?" Louise walks over to help the dwarf turn the cart over, her gauntleted hands should be safe from the broken glass. "... Gaverknacker, was it?"

Recovery: Taking average (13 HP)

pre:
Louise Septienne

HP	44/44	[ ] Demonic Smite	[ ][ ][ ] Demonic Smite	
AC	22	[ ] Bastion		[X] Glazenthorg the Bloody 
PD	14	[ ] Curse of Chaos	[ ] Shield of Recovery
MD	16
Rec.	8/10 (2d10+2)

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 29, 2015

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The holes and broken planks in the wagon seal themselves as if by magic at Rowan's command. The wheels, moments before laying at broken angles, right themselves. With help from Louise, the dwarf heaves the cart onto its wheels again with a thud. There is a rattle of glass from inside.

The dwarf extends his hand and gives Louise's a hearty shake.

"Aristo Gaverknacker at your ser... well, in your debt is probably a better description." He cheerfully climbs up onto the wagon and begins kicking broken glass beakers to the ground with his foot. He rights a bubbling still, blows out a burning flame beneath a collection of jars, and generally fixes as much of the chaos as possible. "I'm a potions man, if you haven't guessed! This here wagon is both my livelyhood and my passion. If someone wants to put that fire out, I'd appreciate it!"

Turning quickly on the spot he points at Louise.

"You know how many different ways there are to make your typical tonic? Something to seal them cuts and scrapes? I'll tell you - thousands. When you buy a potion from some po-dunk side of the road peddler or from a wizard in Axis or wherever you happen to find yourself on your travels, you aren't buying a unified product. You are buying whatever that particular fellow happens to call a healing potion! In the name of the King! Half the time us folk who find ourselves in dangerous situations have no idea what we're consuming into our bodies! That's why it's so hard to guess the effect. One potion you swig and it'll fix broken bones and repair torn ligaments. Another, you pop the cork and it'll disinfect a cat scratch and that's about it. Well not for much longer!"

He picks up his signs and reattached them to the wagon.

"You keep an eye out for me. I'm gonna be big one day!"

He beams at the party with obviously sincere enthusiasm.

"Oh, before I forget - as a little token of my gratitude!"

He grabs two plugged beakers and tosses them out to the party.

"Oils - pour them on your weapons or armor and see what happens. They're not great quality, but hell - they get the job done. And whilst we're at it..." He slips a purple cloak from off his back, balls it up, and tosses it to the group.

Share out the oil items and someone takes...

Gaverknacker's Mantle +1 MD (recharge 6+)
When an attack or effect deals
ongoing damage to you that a save ends, you can roll an
immediate save.

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 29, 2015

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Rowan Hawthorn

Rowan tosses a small burst of refrigerated air at the flames to extinguish them.

"You sound like quite the accomplished individual, Gaverknacker. Rowan Hawthorn." Rowan offers a handshake. "Tell me, have you seen anything strange in the woods these days? Not just redcaps, that is. And while we're at it, do you have anything else for sale?"

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Louise Septienne

Louise tilts her head in bemusement as Aristo delivers his sales pitch. He sure made some bold claims, Louise couldn't help but feel skeptical of this snake oil pusher, but that didn't stop some of his enthusiasm from rubbing off on her.

"I can't say I've ever noticed much difference between healing potions, but you're the expert here." Right? "So tell me, how will your concoctions revolutionize the tonic market?"

I've already got so much stuff so I won't grab anything.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Charles Aldebraun

"Well that went rather smoothly, if I do say so myself. Smashing good job, fellows." Charles brushes himself off and, seeing that the dwarf--Gaverknacker--seems to be doing alright, sets himself to binding the surviving redcap.

"Glad to see you're back up and moving, sir. You speak the truth about them potions! I never knew, when I was serving in with the Forces; we had standardized ones made up by the Archmage and his lot. Now it's hardly feels different from drinking that sludge off the ground there...er, maybe not quite that bad."

"So what's a fine peddler like yourself doing out here? Perhaps headed to Concord?"

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
good news! I didn't vanish mysteriously over the pacific!

Denarion Verdefen

Denarion walks to,the others, looking pleased with himself.
"Ghastly things, hm? But mostly annoying one on one. It's when they outnumber you that they're dangerous."

As the others speak with the dwarf, Denarion gets an idea. He pulls out the license they received from Hobbs and gives it a careful read.
"Gavernacker, we are actually certified members of the Storm Wardens, with at least one adventure under our belts, I wonder, is it possible to use our adcre to pick up more of your supplies? Not that we don't appreciate what we've gotten, this is only in he interest of fair and proper business."

taking one oil and dibs on the cloak
Oh yeah, using a recovery, average roll for 11 hp, back to full hp.
7/8 recoveries
Edit: Oh yeah Recharge Roll: 1d20 2 phbbt

pre:
Denarion Verdefen

MD	14				Shield (11+)	[ ]
Rec.	7/8 (2d8+2)			Skald Feat	[ ]
Healing Potion
Weapon Oil
Roll to save against Ongoing on application (Recharge 6+)

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 30, 2015

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Glad to see you back on land, McP

The dwarf smiles as the concoction on the floor is extinguished by a blast of air and immediately starts evaporating away.

He chuckles melodically at the presentation of the contract.

"You folks think I need to see a piece of paper to know you're adventurers? I knew it soon as I saw the look in your eyes - that look that says, 'sure, we'll risk life and limb to save some poor fellow set upon by varmint murder pixies'. You folks looking to buy, I'll sell you whatever you can afford. Since you helped me so good, I'll give you usual rates, even out here in the wilderness. One Adcre per healing potion, two per oil, three per rune. If you're looking for anything else specific, I might be able to mix it up for you."

He slaps the side of his card with one fist.

"And let me tell you something about those healing potions of yesterday, my friend. The Archmage didn't mass produce them, no matter what his folks tell you. He found or made one that looked like a good 'un, then rather than make the rest chemically, he copied that one magically. That's right, true as the nose on my face, the potions the empire used back in the day were all imitations! Magically cloned vials of a single mixture. That's why you can't get them anymore - the copies of copies of copies got so diluted that they started having side effects or not working at all. Me? I got no problem with magic, but magic is for keeping the nodes floating and blasting things with ice beams, not for making potions. One day, I'm going to buy myself a factory - some big metal beast in the heart of a city and i'm going to make the PERFECT potion, and I'm going to find a way to make it with cheap, easily-sourced, ubiquitous ingrediants so I can make it en masse, and THEN I'm going to churn them out like water form a pump and sell them for so cheap that anyone who needs one can afford them. I'm going to be the richest man you've ever heard of AND make the world a better place on a mass scale. What do you think of that then, eh? "

"And did one of you say Concord? You're smart as well as brave and handsome travelers. I've just been making some sales over in halfling country - now I'm off to Concord. From there? Haven't decided yet. Any idea where business is good these days?"

Aristo will sell Adventuring Level Healing Potion for 1 Adcre, Adventuring Level Oil for 2, and Adventuring Level Runes for 3.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Denarion Verdefen

Denarion nods along. Alchemists sure did love the sound of their own voice. Not that wizards tended to be brief, but at least they didn't get these chips on their shoulder about it.

"Good, good! Well, when we test the quality of your stock, we'll be certain to tell others about the up and coming Gavernacker enterprises. Speaking of, one Weapon Oil, please.

You said you came from the halfing towns? We were headed to Old Town, ourselves. What news is there from the villages?"

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Charles Aldebraun

"Gwahahah! I don't doubt that for a second! That's exactly what I'd expect from ole Pointy-Hat Prime." Charles booms out a laugh at the potion story, then hauls himself back to his feet with redcap tightly bound. It seemed still out cold for the time being.

"Good to see businessmen nowadays who can still consider the greater good, it is. I tell you, saving the land from an invading army is one thing, but feeding it is another entirely. Good luck to you. If'n you're looking for business, I'm afraid I can't tell you much about Concord. If you're confident enough if your craft though, it might be worth a trip to Axis if you've not been by; there's more than enough fighting to fuel a huge demand for the stuff. And now that you can't get those Archmage bulk bottles cheaply from the grey market anymore...well, I'm sure you could find something to do."

"The halflings, say? They do have a few spots out abouts here, as I recall. But, what might have brought you out that way? When I think potions, I can't say halfling towns come first to mind as an ideal market."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"Good man!" Gaverknacker says, giving Denarion a friendly slap on the arm. "Tell your friends about Gaverknacker. Who knows, when I'm a big name one day, maybe I'll give you folks a marketing discount! And that's a great idea about the old bottles - I'll end up in Axis eventually. Everyone does, right? As for the hobbit towns it's pretty much news as ever really - they had a rat infestation at the farms in Twisp but the locals managed to deal with it. There was talk of a black bear sniffing around Old Town a few days ago, but when they sent a party to look for it the only thing they found was elves. Lots and lots of elves. They were nervous about so many scouts and rangers being so close to the town, I told them 'Boys, this is The Queen's Wood... you're going to get elves."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Louise Septienne

"An elven force? This is going to get complicated isn't it?" Louise wasn't sure what to think, but with Celeanor around they'll probably be fine.

She hands the dwarf her adcre. "I'll take some oil for my armor, it deserves some attention after all it's been through." And my sword seems to thirst for other substances... Louise shakes the thought out of her head.

"Speaking of things it's been through, If you're looking for some business on your way to Concord you might want to swing by Boltstrike Pillar, they could use some supplies after the dragon attack."

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Charles Aldebraun

"Well I'll be. I've only been through the Queen's Wood once, but I the impression I didn't get is that many elves got themselves involved with the little folk." As the dwarf rummages through his supplies to fill the bard's order, Charles turns, and more quietly follows with: "Celeanor, Denarion, how does that sound to your more knowledgeable, pointy ears? I'd bet towers to trinkets that them there happenings has something to do with what we're here for."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Denarion Verdefen

Denarion carefully places the oils in a safe place.
"I'm just happy the halflings haven't been destroyed in some kind of apocalyptic event. But yes, there's no doubt in my mind the elves are in force concerning our little tower.

Also, I wouldn't call any of them 'pointy ears'."

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Charles Aldebraun

"What? Is that not polite anymore?" He turns to Celeanor, who gives him that look. "Gosh darnit! I can't keep up with all these words and who's offended by what nowadays." He sighs, audibly. "That's another word on the list..."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Rowan Hawthorn

"I hope that we can avoid any misunderstandings with the elves. I'd expect that they're on guard, but they should be reasonable still. There's no use trying to avoid them, either. They'll probably know we're about as soon as we set foot in the woods." Rowan cracks his knuckles. "We have information that they don't; they'll need to parlay with us."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"Boltstrike, huh?" Aristo strokes his chin thoughtfully. "Alright, folks, I'll go check it out. Thanks for your help, keep an eye out, and remember, tell your friends!"

Lifting the wagon over his shoulders, the dwarf whistles a whimsical tune as he marches off in the direction of Boltstrike Pillar and Concord.

---

The party are left to consider the presence of elves in the wilderness around the hobbit towns. It certainly makes sense. As Aristo pointed out - The Queen's Wood was the focal point of all elvish culture and history. The Court of Stars itself existed somewhere in the deep, dark depths, and The Elf Queen ruled there. However, for the elves to be out so far, and in large numbers was unusual enough to be curious, if nothing else.

This feeling is amplified when the party come across elves before hobbits. The outskirts of Old Town are visible about a mile in the distance, smoke climbing lazily from chimneys into the bright pink afternoon sky. The houses are crooked and whimsical, most of the homes being underground and in the numerous hills that rise out of the landscape ahead. Full horses are generally too large for halflings, but there are ponies and small cows in fields, and several rooster mounts like the one you saw at Boltstrike. The people wear simple clothes, mostly in greens and browns and yellows.

Between Old Town and The Storm Wardens, however, sit a trio of elves. Their brown skin and piercings set them apart as wood elves and when the party first see them they are deep in conversation. The three are difficult to age due to elven longevity, but they do not appear to be full adults yet - probably the equivalent of human 16 year olds. They share food in the typical wood elf manner - passing various edible morsels back and forth, sharing everything. A girl with a bow on her back takes a bite of apple, laughs at something one of the boys tells her, then passes it to him as the other boy passes her half a grapefruit. Their conversation means that they do not sense the party straight away - it would be possible to avoid them, and it might be a good idea as they look as though they are performing some manner of guard duty.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Denarion Verdefen

The half-orc freezes. Too many encounters like this ended with green fletched arrows getting sent his way. These young ones were inattentive, though.
"Ah... You'll forgive me if I'm a bit wary around my kin in birth, if not blood. You may have better luck with them, but I'd rather not make myself too obvious."

Denarion makes to stay behind a hill, but a hidden pothole proves his downfall. He trips loudly, stumbles into a bush, and cracks a knee against a loud rock. The involuntary yelps he makes on the way down likely ruin any attempts at stealth he was trying to make.
"ow ow ow ow ow Celeanor, Charles, I believe I will need your help to make introductions."

Icon Dice, Elf Queen conflicted!: 1d6 4 aw
Queen's Wood Wanderer + Dex: 1d20+8 10 welp

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Celeanor

"Of course, old friend." Celeanor steps forward. "Greetings, friends! What business brings you to guard this road this fine day?" He opens his arms in a disarming manner. "I don't wish for our little group to stumble through something important, after all!"

The Three Shards Must Be This Way: 1d20+7 17

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Charles Aldebraun

"...and then this bugbear he says to us, you know what he says to us? I'll tell ya what he says! He says—" Charles breaks off his extremely interesting and engaging story as the elves come into view and Denarion cuts in. "Well lookit that, that was fast. I wonder what them whippersnappers are doing out here like this."

He stands a bit aside as Celeanor greets them. He's just the slightest bit worried about the whole, you know, thing, but figures the man knows what he's doing. On goes his best "harmless old man" face.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The three wood elves turn their attention to Celeanor with crooked, cheeky smiles. The girl takes a final bite from her apple, then tosses the core over her shoulder and into the long grass. She stands and extends a hand sticky with juice and sap to shake Celeanor's.

"How do you know we are guards?" she asks with a lilting, sing-song voice that suggests the situation amuses her. "We might be travelers just as you, though we would never bungle a sneak attack so horrifically." With lightning speed, she draws an arrow from her quiver, then tosses it in a feeble underhand lob so that it lands on top of Denarion in the grass. The arrow falls flat, the wood landing atop Denarion's head in an assault that is humiliating rather than aggressive.

One of the boys tosses a throwing knife in his hands, catching the blade with precision each time. He is good, but is still at the stage where he has to keep at least one eye on what he is doing. The other finishes messily devouring a mango. His chin thick with juice, he just watches them talk.

"You're welcome to pass through," the girl continues. "You don't look like any trouble to me. It is, however, my duty to inform you that until further notice, we of The Court of Stars are... temporarily seeking refuge... in this little village. This is not intended as an act of aggression, no matter what the stupid little hobbits are saying. Feel free to pass through."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Denarion Verdefen

Denarion plucks the arrow off his face and drops it.
"Hardly a sneak attack. Scouting, really. Nothing worth considering, really.
But... You said the Court was seeking refuge? You mean the Queen of the Shards is here?"

Denarion doesn't wait for an answer, he turns to the others.
"We should head to Old Town with all haste. I think we're going to need answers here."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"Hold your horses, friend," she says. "You should clean out those half-pointy ears of yours - I never said The Queen was seeking refuge there, I said The Court, as in, ambassadors of The Court. The Queen is a long, long way from here, but she has REPRESENTATIVES in Old Town and word of advice, let them do what they need to do and we'll be out of the hobbit's hair in no time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Rowan Hawthorn

Rowan hasn't had much experience with Elves, but he can tell when someone's being cruel.

"Seeing as we're here to check in on Old Town, I think we'll have much to say to the ambassadors about your conduct. I don't imagine that they'll be pleased to hear that the first impression travelers get of the Elven Court is how rude they are. Good day then."

Rowan starts to move past the trio of guards.

"Honestly, some people..." he mutters.

• Locked thread