Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

HM Naruki Doi/YAMATO v Gamma/Punch Tominaga - 12/27 Dragon Gate - THE FINAL GATE 2015

Probably the best squash match I've seen in recent memory. PT puts in the performance of his career playing Ricky Morton and a great finishing rush.

sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

MOTY: Shingo Takagi vs CIMA, Dragon Gate - The Final Gate 2015

Wasn't Shingo/Mochizuki good, but still a hell of a match and CIMA's performance alone was worth the nomination. Him pulling out the spirit of all the veterans who fell against Shingo was maybe the biggest mark-out moment of the year for me.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Dimebags Brain posted:

Wasn't Shingo/Mochizuki good, but still a hell of a match and CIMA's performance alone was worth the nomination. Him pulling out the spirit of all the veterans who fell against Shingo was maybe the biggest mark-out moment of the year for me.

Sure I'll second it even though I thought this match was better:

MOTYC - 4 way Six Man tag - Tozawa/Yoshino/T-Hawk v Horiguchi/Saito/Susumu v Mochizuki/Kid/Shimizu v Ryu/Tanizaki/Kong - 12/27 The Finale Gate 2015 - Dragon Gate

What an insane match. Lots of the Dragon Gate staples plus Mocchy attempting his crazy old man high jump dive. If you don't dig DG style, this might not be for you but I thought this was comparable to the best of the DG 3 ways and 4 ways.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

MOTYC - 4 way Six Man tag - Tozawa/Yoshino/T-Hawk v Horiguchi/Saito/Susumu v Mochizuki/Kid/Shimizu v Ryu/Tanizaki/Kong - 12/27 The Finale Gate 2015 - Dragon Gate

What an insane match. Lots of the Dragon Gate staples plus Mocchy attempting his crazy old man high jump dive. If you don't dig DG style, this might not be for you but I thought this was comparable to the best of the DG 3 ways and 4 ways.

I'll 2nd that but Man that was an insane spotfest but that CIMA match hit all the right emotional and storytelling wavelengths to make it something special.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I would like to nominate this for HM~

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Haven't caught up to Final Gate yet, but I'm surprised I didn't see nominations for this one from early in the month:

MOTYC: Dragon Gate - Open The Triangle Gate tournament finals (vacant):
Monster Express (Akira Tozawa, Masato Yoshino & T-Hawk) vs. VerserK (Naruki Doi, Shingo Takagi & YAMATO) - Fantastic Gate 12/6/15

With all the talent in this match it's interesting that they used it to showcase T-Hawk so much. He had a few great sequences and took a ton of punishment. So did everyone, really. Yoshino looked fantastic and YAMADoi had some brutal double teams, Tozawa's always a lot of fun and Takagi had some monster offense. After the rest of the tournament it really made the Triangle Gate titles feel important, and MX finally gets a resurgence by beating the otherwise dominant Dream/Twin Gate champs.

I've liked a lot of other matches a good deal more this year, but it was a drat good trios match, so I'll say lower-end MOTYC. The previous tournament round matches were all good too, but I don't think I'd put them at HM level except maybe the MX/D.H semifinal the night before.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

MagicCube posted:

HM: Roderick Strong, Moose, Matt Jackson, Mark Briscoe, and Cedric Alexander vs. Jay Lethal, Jay Briscoe, Cheeseburger, Cliff Compton, and Adam Page - ROH TV 12/20

Superb match, great action, hilarious interactions between wrestlers, and the hottest babyface in the world doing his thing. Everyone loves Cheeseburger.

Just caught this match, nth

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

DECEMBER UPDATE

quote:

MOTY

Dragon Lee vs. Kamaitachi – 12/04 CMLL
Brahman Kei, Brahman Shu, Master ET, The Great Sasuke & Ultraman Robin vs. C3PO-1, Darth Vader GAINA, R2D2-2, Superman Kinya & Yoda Taro – 12/10 M-PRO
Adam Cole vs. Kyle O'Reilly – 12/18 ROH Final Battle
Jay Lethal vs. AJ Styles – 12/18 ROH Final Battle

HM

Lio Rush vs. Joey Janela – 12/11 CZW Cage of Death XVII
Danny Havoc vs. Ricky Shane Page – 12/11 CZW Cage of Death XVII
Sami Callihan vs. David Starr – 12/11 CZW Cage of Death XVII
Matt Tremont vs. AR Fox vs. Devon Moore vs. MASADA – 12/11 CZW Cage of Death XVII
Big E & Kofi Kingston vs. Kalisto & Sin Cara vs. Jey Uso & Jimmy Uso – 12/13 WWE Tables, Ladders, & Chairs
Sheamus vs. Roman Reigns – 12/13 WWE Tables, Ladders, & Chairs
Sheamus vs. Roman Reigns – 12/14 WWE RAW
Asuka vs. Emma – 12/16 NXT Takeover: London
Dash Wilder & Scott Dawson vs. Enzo Amore & Colin Cassady – 12/16 NXT Takeover: London
Bayley vs. Nia Jax – 12/16 NXT Takeover: London
Finn Balor vs. Samoa Joe – 12/16 NXT Takeover: London
Michael Elgin vs. Moose – 12/18 ROH Final Battle
Roderick Strong vs. Bobby Fish – 12/18 ROH Final Battle
Roderick Strong, Moose, Matt Jackson, Mark Briscoe & Cedric Alexander vs. Jay Lethal, Cheeseburger, Cliff Compton, Jay Briscoe & Adam Page – 12/20 ROH TV
Jason Jordan & Chad Gable vs. Aiden English & Simon Gotch vs. Zack Ryder & Mojo Rawley vs. Blake & Murphy – 12/23 WWE NXT
Naruki Doi & YAMATO vs. GAMMA & Punch Tominga – 12/27 Dragon Gate: THE FINAL GATE 2015

WMOTY

Bubba Ray Dudley, D-Von Dudley, Tommy Dreamer & Rhyno vs. Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper, Erick Rowan & Braun Strowman – 12/13 WWE Tables, Ladders, & Chairs

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Your 2015 MOTYC Spreadsheet

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
Kane's only in two of these, what a trash list.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
am i too late to nominated Meiko Satomura vs Io Shirai Stardom Year-End Climax 2015 12/23/15 for MOTYC?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3k8oez_meiko-satomura-vs-io-shirai-on-12-23-15_sport

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

August was a good month, but BOLA happened, so yeah.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Dimebags Brain posted:

I second both of these as MOTYCs, something that years from now I would recommend people go back and look at. Basically, Dragon Gate is on par with if not superior to PWG, except nobody watches it because what little free time is left to watch Japanese wrestling that remains after having to watch all the weekly live WWE stuff goes to New Japan.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

What a year of amazing matches. Thank you Roddy.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Daryl Surat posted:

I second both of these as MOTYCs, something that years from now I would recommend people go back and look at. Basically, Dragon Gate is on par with if not superior to PWG, except nobody watches it because what little free time is left to watch Japanese wrestling that remains after having to watch all the weekly live WWE stuff goes to New Japan.
Nth both.

edit: Wow, nothing topped Nakamura/Ibushi all year long. Not surprised due to the quality of it, more at the longevity of it.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 2, 2016

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
That's a big mark of quality, when it's still at the fore of people's minds a year later. The 'Silence of the Lambs' effect

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

Nth both.

edit: Wow, nothing topped Nakamura/Ibushi all year long. Not surprised due to the quality of it, more at the longevity of it.

the match that followed it did, actually

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Matches with >20 MOTYC nominations, since that is exactly ten for a good top ten

pre:
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi – 01/04 NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9		37
Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena vs. Seth Rollins – 01/25 WWE Royal Rumble		33
Sasha Banks vs. Bayley – 08/22 WWE NXT Takeover: Brooklyn			31
Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch – 05/20 WWE NXT TakeOver: Unstoppable		27
Mil Muertes vs. Fenix – 03/18 Lucha Underground					26
Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns vs. Seth Rollins – 03/29 WrestleMania XXXI	26
John Cena vs. Kevin Owens – 05/31 WWE Elimination Chamber			25
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada – 01/04 NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9		25
Kevin Owens vs. Finn Balor – 07/04 WWE Beast in the East			24
Tomohiro Ishii vs. Togi Makabe – 01/04 NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9			21
It's honestly pretty hard to argue with this. I might have the Wrestlemania and the Sasha-Becky match a bit lower, the Grave Consequences a bit higher, and I wasn't THAT impressed with Ishii-Makabe, but this is a pretty dang solid list for a North America-focused board.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I actually preferred Ishii / Makabe to Okada / Tanahashi. Maybe I'm just a sucker for two guys potatoing the gently caress out of each other.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

It's Shingo/Mochizuki for this year, the story was executed so well. The first minute in particular is my favorite match start of all time.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Sasha/Bayley in Brooklyn :swoon:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The real answer is ASW11 Guerrilla Warfare but nobody else is gonna see that for like another two weeks at least

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

Matches with >20 MOTYC nominations, since that is exactly ten for a good top ten

pre:
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi – 01/04 NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9		37
Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena vs. Seth Rollins – 01/25 WWE Royal Rumble		33
Sasha Banks vs. Bayley – 08/22 WWE NXT Takeover: Brooklyn			31
Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch – 05/20 WWE NXT TakeOver: Unstoppable		27
Mil Muertes vs. Fenix – 03/18 Lucha Underground					26
Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns vs. Seth Rollins – 03/29 WrestleMania XXXI	26
John Cena vs. Kevin Owens – 05/31 WWE Elimination Chamber			25
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada – 01/04 NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9		25
Kevin Owens vs. Finn Balor – 07/04 WWE Beast in the East			24
Tomohiro Ishii vs. Togi Makabe – 01/04 NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9			21
It's honestly pretty hard to argue with this. I might have the Wrestlemania and the Sasha-Becky match a bit lower, the Grave Consequences a bit higher, and I wasn't THAT impressed with Ishii-Makabe, but this is a pretty dang solid list for a North America-focused board.

the problem with this list is that its entirely wwe/njpw and plenty of smaller feds had as good or better matches

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'm torn between Shingo/Mocchy and Ibushi/Nakamura for match of the Year, they're both just so good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
My favorite match of the year was Strong vs Okada but the best match of the year was probably Ibushi vs Styles for the IWGP title.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The best match of the year was Roddy/Sabre Jr from Evolve

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

NienNunb posted:

The best match of the year was Roddy/Sabre Jr from Evolve

Not even the best match those two had in 2015

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

2016 MOTYC: Dick Justice vs. Space Monkey vs. Shockwave The Robot, DREAMWAVE Season Premiere, 1/2/16

dalp
Oct 7, 2002

epitasis posted:

2016 MOTYC: Dick Justice vs. Space Monkey vs. Shockwave The Robot, DREAMWAVE Season Premiere, 1/2/16

SECOND!!!!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Post those in the 2016 thread

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Tonfa posted:

It's Shingo/Mochizuki for this year, the story was executed so well. The first minute in particular is my favorite match start of all time.

Hell, the first second of it is great.

I'm gonna say Mochi/Shingo MOTY, Ibushi/Nakamura close 2nd.

Nthing all 3 of these from 12/27 Final Gate 2015:

HM YAMADoi vs Gamma/Punch
MOTYC Tozawa/Yoshino/T-Hawk vs Horiguchi/Saito/Susumu vs Mochizuki/Kid/Shimizu vs Ryu/Tanizaki/Kong
MOTYC Shingo Takagi vs CIMA

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
In the event you're bored, I've been given a MOTY ballot to fill out for VOW, and they do an ordered Top 10 deal. My first draft is here: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1so6rcs

I still got a day to turn it in, but in my head I'm thinking it's too narrowly focused. There are tons of great matches, stars, and feds I didn't mention: Tozawa, Young Bucks, AJ Styles etc. By all means feel free to critique away, suggest substitutions, etc since I can never think beyond "match I liked" when it comes to this stuff.

• Locked thread