Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

MOTYC: IBUSHI VS SWAG, NJPW 1/4 WK9

SECONDED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

MOTYC: TANA VS OKADA, NJPW 1/4 WK9

yup

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Testekill posted:

MOTYC: Lesnar vs Cena vs Rollins

gently caress that owned so loving hard. I was expecting Heyman to turn on Lesnar and side with Rollins.

Testekill posted:

WMOTYC: Royal Rumble 2015

gently caress you WWE

Yup. Talk about loving highs and lows.

Gotta say, I do want to talk a bit more about the good with that title match. I marked for a goddamn injury spot after that table hit, and seeing Brock just loving pop back into the ring was one of the best moments since I started watching. I also felt that they finally struck a good "strong but chickenshit" balance with Rollins, having him get hosed up by multiple finishers before bringing J&J into the mix. Just really solid stuff, wish it had gone on longer.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

MOTYC: Charlotte/Sasha/Bayley/Becky Fatal Fourway, NXT Takeover Rival

Holy gently caress what a great match.

I gotta also go with MOTYC instead of an HM because of how good a job they did making it seem like anyone could win that, and how hard I marked for Bayley :allears:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Fat Lowtax posted:

MOTYC John Cena vs. Kevin Owens, Elimination Chamber

I allowed myself to get invested in this and it delivered and I jumped up and down like a literal child at the end, five stars

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

HM: Adrian Neville vs. Chris Jericho - 07/04 WWE Beast in the East
MOTYC: Kevin Owens vs Finn Balor, WWE Beast in the East (7/4/15)

not gonna second the WMOTYC because while that tag was boring it wasn't especially awful in any way. if we had a WMOTYC HM I might nominate it but even then it wasn't that offensive

also uh

HM: Brock Lesnar vs Kofi Kingston - 07/04 WWE Beast in the East

I thought this was a really, really well-done squash match in every way, with Kofi getting to do a bunch of cool-looking moves that were completely ineffective. I know squashes don't usually get much in the way of ratings but I thought this was the best one I'd seen in a long time :shobon:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

MOTYC Katsuyori Shibata vs AJ Styles - NJPW G1 Climax Night 1 7/20
MOTYC Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kota Ibushi - NJPW G1 Climax Night 1 7/20

I was debating which of these I would give an HM and which I'd give a MOTYC before realizing I loved them both so gently caress it. I'm a huge Styles mark so I was guaranteed to love the first one, but I thought Shibata was great too and I'm really looking forward to the rest of his matches in the tournament. The second match was great because - and I don't know a lot about NJPW so I might have misinterpreted this a bit - it got me super invested in Ibushi as an underdog versus a dude who I guess is Japanese John Cena, but managed to have an Lol Cena Wins finish that I was totally fine with.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

HM: Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte, NXT 7/15

Not the best in their feud, but still great, and I'm still scared I will never see a match from these two as good as that again

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

HM 7/25 G1 Climax Night 4 - Okada/Honma
MOTYC 7/26 G1 Climax Night 5 - AJ/Ibushi
HM 7/26 G1 Climax Night 5 - Naito/Tanahashi

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

HM 7/29 NJPW G1 Climax Night 7 Shibata/Ibushi

a little short but otherwise an absolutely fantastic match with some amazing sequences

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

HM 8/1 G1 Climax Night 7 - Elgin/Honma

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

drat, no candidates for WMOTYC in July? Can't tell if we're not trying hard enough, if no one's paying attention to Raw anymore, or if Wrestling is Good Now (it is not)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Benne posted:

HM: Seth Rollins vs. Neville, RAW 8/3

yeah

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Benne posted:

MOTYC: Mil Muertes vs. Prince Puma

+1. also this is on YouTube now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5srvkegnIg

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Hi, I was there live, here are my definitely not biased takes

HM: BAMF/Vaudevillains
MOTYC: Banks/Bayley
HM: Owens/Balor (also anyone who thinks the crowd was burned out mistook being quiet for being terrified, that was a scary loving match)

And here's my WILD CARD, BITCHES pick no one who wasn't there will get behind:

HM: Samoa Joe/Baron Corbin

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

HM: New Day vs PTP vs Lucha Dragons vs Los Matadores, Summerslam 8/24
That was insanely fun and proved that the New Day have arrived.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Hi, everyone is going to call me dumb and overexcited and crazy, I do not care

MOTYC: Rollins/Cena, Summerslam 8/2

Some absolutely fantastic in-ring action, the best stuff Rollins has done since Mania, good stuff from Cena (other than the usually meh Stunner), an incredibly hot crowd for Rollins, and the best-booked gently caress finish of the last year

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

if you're going to argue that the gently caress-finish degrades Rollins/Cena to an HM, can I at least argue that the gently caress-finish degrades Lesnar/Taker to WMOTYC

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Regardless, I will say

HM Cesaro vs Kevin Owens, SummerSlam 8/2

Neither of their strongest efforts, but still a very solid match I felt lived up the potential I was hoping to see

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I mean Carmella/Eva and Bayley/Sasha were in the same room a couple hours apart, so yeah

I dunno, I wouldn't put Carmella/Eva down for WMOTYC just because it had a surprising amount of heat and I think Carmella's been doing some solid work developing over the last few months.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

HM: Seth Rollins vs John Cena, WWE Night of Champions 9/20/2015
HM: Seth Rollins vs Sting, WWE Night of Champions 9/20/2015

The Rollins/Cena match is an easy HM, but the Sting match was also just completely captivating throughout, and I say that as someone who did not give a poo poo about Sting before tonight. He took some amazing, commendable bumps, and if this ends up being it for him, it's a hell of a high note to go out on.

Also, I can't really give it an HM due to the rushed finish, but here's a special shoutout for Nikki/Charlotte. It's the best work I've seen Nikki do, with great in-ring storytelling and Charlotte doing some fantastic selling. I usually get annoyed by injury working (see: the Ryback match earlier tonight), but that match was actually really fun to watch because of it. Again, too bad about the rushed finish; if Charlotte had gotten to get some real offense in I'd probably be giving this an HM.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Testekill posted:

WMOTC: Bound for Glory Gauntlet 4/10/15

yeah this

I long for the days of 1.5-star Eva Marie/Carmella matches

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

HM: Joe/Balor vs. Dash & Dawson
HM: Corbin/Rhyno vs. Gable/Jordan
MOTYC: Bayley vs Sasha Banks

yup

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

y'know I'm starting to think I might want to try watching this "BOLA" thing I've heard so much about

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

theminx posted:

HM - Raw 10/26/15 - Alberto Del Rio v Dolph Ziggler v Kevin Owens v Roman Reigns Fatal four way #1 Contender

Great TV Match, good crowd

Like, by the metric of "Roman Reigns countered KO with a superman punch to win clean, and I loving marked for it," this may actually be MOTYC

but, for real, I'll third the HM nomination

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

normally I'd say "thanks for spoiling the match before I'd watched it," but, well, it is a Honma match

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Mukaikubo posted:

why not

HM: Dean Ambrose vs. Kevin Owens, WWE Championship Semifinal Match, Survivor Series, 11/22

it was a fun match that I liked a lot

:yeah:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

HM: Asuka vs. Emma, NXT Takeover London

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

idk if we have a curtain-jerker of the year category but if we did I'd be split between that and the TLC tag ladder match, goddamn

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Thauros posted:

I liked it don't get me wrong, but I wasn't THAT overwhelmed by the opener.

I mean, no one's said MOTYC for a reason, but it was still in the top 10 (top 5?) WWE women's matches this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

HM: Samoa Joe vs Finn Balor, NXT TakeOver: London

• Locked thread