Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
HM: Dragon Lee, Guerrero Maya Jr., The Panther vs. Hechicero, Hombre sin Nombre, Sagrado - CMLL 04/01

my 3rd favourite match of january 4th!!! not sure what was with the wackiness towards the finish. video issues work themselves out after the first couple minutes. hombre sin nombre is a human garbage bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
I really like Thatcher and don't dislike Ricochet but wasn't feeling their match at all tbh. A weird styles clash that produced some novel spots but not enough of the intense matwork I like from Thatcher or the cool flying I like from Ricochet.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
HM: Máximo vs. Negro Casas, CMLL 11/01

Rare lucha match built around limb work! Also rare in recent times: Casas working pure dickhead heel instead of de-facto babyface! If their hair match is even a hair (LOL) better than this it will be a MOTYC.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
HM: Trauma I & Trauma II vs. Texano Jr. & Super Nova, Cara Lucha 01/01

The kind of dirty southern brawl that these days seems to only exist on the grimy Mexican indies. Super heat, tons of mask ripping, blood and great potato shots. The classic lovely Mexican finish took it down a bit but it was still very good.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 13, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
MOTYC: Shockercito vs. Astral vs. Demus 3:16 vs. Eléctrico vs. Fantasy vs. Mercurio vs. Pequeño Nitro vs. Pequeño Olímpico vs. Pierrothito vs. Último Dragóncito - Pequeños Reyes del Air Cibernético, CMLL 01/06

SPOTFEST OF THE loving YEAR. I swear the minis do the craziest poo poo of anyone (if I see a sicker bump than that missed tope this year then someone is going to die on TV this year). Soooo much fun.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 13, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi/Volador Jr./Atlantis vs. Kazuchika Okada/Gran Guerrero/Último Guerrero, NJPW 13/01

Super fun, maybe the best trios of the year so far? I like how they removed the barricades to make room for the dives. Hopefully the people who bought front row seats for these shows knew what they were getting into...

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I didn't like that match much at all and if I factor in Striker it's probably venturing into negative stars territory for me

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Agreed, friend

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

HM: Rey Cometo vs Barbaro Cavernario from NJPW Fantasticamania 1/19

4th and HM to Sombra/Dorada from the same show also

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
so do we go by air date or the date the match actually happened?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
it wasnt that bad

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
i eventually managed to figure out what the teams were in that match. its Shockercito/Astral/Último Dragóncito/Fantasy/Eléctrico vs. Demus 3:16/Mercurio/Pequeño Nitro/Pequeño Olímpico/Pierrothito

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
i thought it was a very average match with a pretty cool final minute :shrug: reminded me of any of dozens of Velocity matches back in the day

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 5, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
HM: Akito vs. Makoto Oishi (No Rope Escape Match), DDT Sweet Dreams 25/01

I liked it a lot. They did a lot of cool stuff with the stip. Great finish.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
HM: Eita vs. Jimmy Kagetora, Dragon Gate 01/12

Surprised to see this wasn't mentioned. Most DG stuff makes my eyes glaze over with the overkill but I was into this. Simple but effective psychology, solid selling and some sick big spots.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

theminx posted:

NJPW New Beginning in Osaka 2/11

HM: Honma v Ibushi

HM: IWGP JR Heavyweight Tag Championship Match: ReDragon (Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly) v TimeSplitters (Alex Shelley, KUSHIDA) v Young Bucks

HM: IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match AJ Styles v Tanahashi

yeah

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Bigass Moth posted:

I guess I'm a critic because I didn't think anything on that show was even an hm.

i'd agree up until the main event, which wasn't without its issues but ruled overall.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I have to admit that with how trigger happy people are with the MOTYC noms here I'm a bit befuddled at that getting HM nods.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
That heat segment might be the best heat segment I've seen this year. Owens' offense was brutal and Zayn looked like the world-class seller and bumper that he is. Zayn's comebacks could have been built to better is the main criticism I have of the match; a few times he just hit one move and went on offense rather than slowly regaining control with a sequence of moves from underneath, which would have given the crowd a chance to really get into the comeback. Thought the finishing stretch was great for mostly the same reasons that the heat segment was. If you rate selling, emotion and guys working their character highly I would think you'd think that match was great. Can't help but feel some people aren't ready to call a match great unless it has a few minutes of taking turns kicking out of big moves tacked on at the end.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Bigass Moth posted:

I mean there was a better wwe main event just a couple weeks ago, nobody seems to have any context but I guess that's why we're marks on a fake sport forum.

Actually I just don't think that match was as good as this one.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Thauros posted:

i get why some people liked it but the ref stoppage ending didn't do it for me. That and the crowd prevented it from being as good as the Rumble 3 way in my book.

The three way just felt to me like they spent most of the match throwing bombs that didn't mean as much as they could have because they weren't build up. I liked Zayn/Owens because it had that old school get the heat/pay it off structure to it. Which is surprising from two indie guys.

I mean ultimately I'm talking the difference between my #3 and #5 matches of the year thus far, so it's not a huge thing.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Flameingblack posted:

e: Spermgod is the weirdest person in the MOTY threads because he recognizes great matches from lesser watched promotions, but under-rates every single amazing match from WWE and NJPW because he doesn't like the style. He's like a wrestling hipster and NJPW is too mainstream.

1. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada, NJPW 04/01
2. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi, NJPW 04/01
3. Sami Zayn vs. Kevin Owens, NXT 11/02
4. Shockercito/Astral/Último Dragóncito/Fantasy/Eléctrico vs. Demus 3:16/Mercurio/Pequeño Nitro/Pequeño Olímpico/Pierrothito, CMLL 06/01
5. John Cena vs. Seth Rollins vs. Brock Lesnar, WWE 25/01

yeah look at all that hipster poo poo

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

bradzilla posted:

This thread has to be the nerdiest on all of SA. Essays about what makes a match of the year, that no one gives even the slightest poo poo about. Just nominate matches you liked, nerds.

sorry for discussing wrestling in the wrestling forum

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
It's hard for me to know where to fall on that. Ten minutes in I was ready to declare it the worst of their series by some distance, then over the next fifteen it went from 'this is getting good' to 'this is loving amazing'. I don't want to ignore how underwhelming those first ten minutes were, but I also got more emotionally involved in that match than I have any other match this year and that has to count for a lot. That said, I'd imagine a lot of that won't come across on rewatch when I already know the result - Honma has an incredible knack for making you believe he's going to win even though he never loving wins.

I think ultimately I have to go MOTYC.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

sticklefifer posted:

MOTYC: HARASHIMA vs Kota Ibushi, KO-D Openweight Title - Saitama Super DDT 2/15/15

I'm not too familiar with DDT, but I watched this because Ibushi can basically do no wrong lately. The first several minutes were mostly grounded mat wrestling, but it got really intense and stiff, and there was some fun stuff after they fought up on the stage too. There's a great striking battle toward the end, first with forearms and then with palm strikes. I genuinely wasn't expecting the title change. I'm going to have to go back and check out some HARASHIMA matches now.

I'll go HM but it was about as good an HM as you're gonna get. Loved the opening stomach work; the lack of an interesting opening third is a complaint I often have with modern Japanese big matches and that certainly wasn't the case here. They kinda lost me when they took it out onto the ramp and Ibushi popping up to go into the finish was quite egregiously bad. I wish they'd come back to the stomach stuff in the final third, but still it had tons of cool offense, good selling and sound psychology overall.

HM: Atsushi Onita vs. Yoshihiro Takayama (Blast King Title No Rope Barbed Wire Current Blast Death Match), Zero1 01/23

Yeah really. Takayama is practically immobile at this point but both guys know exactly what to do to make a match like this dramatic and entertaining. The lack of blood is a total wtf though.

HM: Kagetsu vs. Tsubasa Kuragaki, OZ Academy 01/11

I have no clue who these people are but I do know this is probably the best women's match this year. The small time feel of modern joshi hurt it for me, as did the sloppiness which seems to plague most women's wrestling for some reason, but it had a lot of cool stuff. It's ridiculous to imagine a match in this style ever happening in NXT, but if it did I'm sure it would be getting MOTYC talk.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I liked that Neville/Owens match but good god Neville is a charisma black hole. No connection with the crowd outside of when they pop for his big spots. Owens is so great at making basic 'boring' heel offence like stomps and rear chinlocks look vicious and like he is really trying to hurt the guy rather than just kill time.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
AJPW had a good Akiyama/Omori/Fuchi vs. Miyahara/Shiozaki/young boy whose name I don't know match on the Korakuen Baba memorial show. From Wrestle-1 Daiki Inaba vs. Masato Tanaka was good as was Masakatsu Funaki/Jiro Kuroshio vs two guys whose names I forget. Nothing MOTYC worthy but fun stuff. I'm on my phone otherwise I'd find links but they're all on RealHero's channel anyway.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

When you get around to it I sure would love some recent CMLL recommendations too if you got em :kiddo:

heres some of the best stuff that's aired this year

Guerrero Maya Jr./Rey Cometa/The Panther vs. Bárbaro Cavernario/Hechicero/Virus
Dragon Lee/Guerrero Maya Jr./The Panther vs. Hechicero/Hombre Sin Nombre/Sagrado
Máximo vs. Negro Casas
Máscara Dorada vs. Negro Casas
Dragon Lee vs. Kamaitachi
Terrible vs. Máximo
Negro Casas/Shocker vs. La Máscara/La Sombra
Delta/Dragon Lee/Guerrero Maya Jr. vs. Kamaitachi/Puma/Virus
Guerrero Maya Jr. vs. Virus

a lot of CMLL guys seem to be doing their best work in super indies like Chilanga Mask and Cara Lucha but i'm really reluctant to pay Black Terry Jr. $4 a match for his handheld footage. maybe if i ever get around to starting a lucha thread i can get a pool going...

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 20, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

oatgan posted:

my knowledge of lucha is pretty meager but if someone gives me a handful of lucha to buy from Black Terry to start off with I'd happily set up a periodic watch night in psp-tv

He uploads previews of the matches here so you can just pick and choose what you want. Anything with Hechicero, Dragon Lee, Black Terry, Guerrero Maya Jr. or los Traumas is probably a good bet IMO

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Finally got around to watching that ROH trios and while I did enjoy it it left me a bit cold compared to the praise its getting. I thought the three way tag from New Beginning in Osaka was better, as was the Delta/Dragon Lee/Guerrero Maya Jr vs. Kamaitachi/Puma/Virus trios up there^^^^ from last week's CMLL TV and Mascarita Sagrada/Octagóncito/Mini Drago vs. Mini Charly Manson/Mini Abismo Negro/Mini Psycho Clown from last week's AAA TV, none of which I would say were HM-worthy other than the NJPW match. I guess from a good spotfest I want a sense of flow between the spots and I just wasn't feelin it there :geno:

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 21, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

NickRoweFillea posted:

Serious question: how do you know so much about lucha and how do you keep up with it

i don't really know that much, i've only been watching it for like 8 months. thecubsfan posts all the CMLL TV to his youtube channel (warning: most of it is not worth watching) and his blog is de-facto the definitive English language lucha news resource.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
HM: Atsushi Aoki vs. Kotaro Suzuki, AJPW 02/20

In which Aoki showcases about a dozen cool rear end ways to transition into an armbar. Suzuki is evidently the kind of guy who isn't going to let selling a body part interfere with getting his signature poo poo in, but thankfully he works most of the match from underneath so it isn't THAT annoying. I could see people that aren't as nitpicky about that stuff REALLY digging this.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
HMs for Rusev/Cena and Bryan/Reigns seems about right. Rusev/Cena was probably a better match overall. Reigns/Bryan felt really flat for the first half but the second half was better than Rusev/Cena.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
They do have great chemistry but having him suffer his first loss, shake hands with the guy in a show of respect while Lana goes crazy at ringside would be a great way to turn him. Then you can have him cut a promo about how he now respects the USA or whatever and have Lana bring in a new evil foreigner (though I have no clue who that would be - Cesaro would work and they'd have great matches but would maybe be too much of a jobber) to feud with him. Would be a good way to ensure his momentum doesn't stall after losing.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 23, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
HM: Shuji Ishikawa vs. Yuji Okabayashi, BJW 02/02

As far as the 'fat Japanese dudes hitting each other really hard, screaming a lot and not selling much' genre goes I thought it was very good. I could see it being superlative for people who are more into that style than I. Okabayashi is charismatic and has a great look, but I wish he would vary his offense a little more. Ishikawa does nothing for me but hey, shoot headbutts are always fun.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 23, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
edit: nevermind the fucker RealHero just uploaded a match from 2014. I GOT WORKED

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I was surprised how much I enjoyed Uhaa/Hulk. They did the stupid "sell the leg but don't let it stop you getting your poo poo in or change how you wrestle the match in any way" which continues to be terrible, but it wasn't like Hulk's last defense where he continually blew off a sustained assault on the leg to do kicks and turned the match into a complete joke. Outside of that I thought they generally sold well and had nice sustained sequences of control with big transitions rather than the mind-numbing my turn/your turn that DG matches often devolve into. Uhaa is really great at those explosive transitions from getting beat down to going on offense.

It's funny that for a light hearted promotion, DG is better at making its world title matches feel like a big deal than any other current promotion.

MOTYC for sure.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
HM: ECIII vs. Rockstar Spud, TNA Impact 03/12

I didn't expect a Memphis-esque bloody brawl to happen in TNA of all places but here we are. Contrast with WWE grudge matches where they open by grabbing a headlock. ECIII is limited on offense but Spud was so good selling for it and bleeding that it didn't matter. Great heat from the UK crowd. Great post-match too. Some of the execution on stuff was a little off which hurt it for me and Spud's intentionally hokey comeback felt out of place, but it's still right on the border of MOTYC.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 15, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
"duhrr i dont want to see blood in wrestling in 2015" - a big fuckin fail rear end baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
lots of people

• Locked thread