Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

yeah nth that, that was really loving cool if not quite as shoot style as i was expecting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MATCH OF THE YEAR CANDIDATE SHINSUKE vs IBUSHI WK9

I don't give a gently caress if every other person on this forum has already nominated it, that was the loving best and I'm going to nth it,

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

yeah nth that even though i'm a bit nonplussed on the booking. J&G have proved me wrong many times before though

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Testekill posted:

WMOTYC: Paiges & Nattie vs The Bella Twins, WWE Royal Rumble

That was pretty loving dire

huh? that was actually surprisingly decent, and I usually bored to tears by WWE women's wrestling.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

I'm getting in early on this but, MOTYC: Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena vs. Seth Rollins - Royal Rumble 1/25

Nth! Aweome match, all three guys played their role perfectly and the right guy won. loving incredibke.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I generally love even the "bad" Rumbles but that managed to gently caress up the one thing that is usually idiot proof. Nomination' s deserved

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

One person nominated it for WMOTY last year but a lot more nominated it for an honorable mention

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I think for stuff that's taped for airing we go by air date but if it's just a live show (PWG), it's actual date.

This makes sense to me. LU is primarily a TV show, so it's fair to count a match orginially aired this year as a 2015 match imo.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Illinois Smith posted:

They're both the top guys? Both went through the DDT dojo and have spent their whole career there, Ibushi is just popular enough that it doesn't really matter whether he has a belt all the time or not. Also HARASHIMA has been around a few years longer and DDT's titles on the whole are more props for stories than an indication of where a guy stands on the roster totem pole. People's spots there are a lot more fluid than in other places.

I could also see his dual contract with NJPW possbily affecting their willingness to put their top belt on him. I don't think he's had it since he signed.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MOTYC

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. AJ Stlyes NJPW - New Beginning Osaka 2/11

Honorable Mention

Hirooki Goto and Katsuyori Shibata vs. Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows NJPW - New Beginning Osaka 2/11

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, the trios match and Honma/Ibushi were really fun matches everyone should watch, but I'd hesitate to call either a HM. The later was hurt slightly by the fact that every NJPW fan could of predicted it in their heads move for lmove before it even happened.

I personally felt the three way jr tag match was disappointing when you look at what all three teams are capable of.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 11, 2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Testekill posted:

HM: Adrian Neville vs Finn Balor, NXT Takeover

Not quite a MOTYC but this match owned hard.

YEah I can go HM here

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

That was an HM to me. It pains me to say it becuase those two guys are among my favorite wrestlers, but parts of the match were definitely flawed and the bad crowd took it down a notch.

It's still probably the second best match I've seen today.

Spermgod posted:

I have to admit that with how trigger happy people are with the MOTYC noms here I'm a bit befuddled at that getting HM nods.

My own guideline for MOTYC based on what I believe HulkaMatt himself said in a previous one is that if I can rate it ****1/4 or better I give it a nod even if I can't really see myself actually voting it for MOTY at the end of the year. If I took the latter approach something woukd have to be as good as Nakamura/Ibushi and that's bloody unlikely.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 12, 2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

Actually I just don't think that match was as good as this one.

i get why some people liked it but the ref stoppage ending didn't do it for me. That and the crowd prevented it from being as good as the Rumble 3 way in my book.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'll fourth the MOTYC for Ishii/Honma, that was one of the best matches of that style I've seen

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Finally saw the Bullet Club vs. ROH trios match.

Really fun spotfest that was elevated by an incredibly hot crowd. Cool to see three current IWGP champions show up on ROH tv.

Anyone who still hasn't gotten around to seeing it yet should defintiely check it out on the ROH site for free before the new TV episode goes up on Thursday.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I really wasn't a huge fan of the Cena/Rusev match, and I like Rusev and think Cena's a very good WWE main event style worker.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

NienNunb posted:

HM: AJ/ACH, ROH 13th Anniversary
MOTYC: Bucks/reDragon, ROH 13th Anniversary

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

NienNunb posted:

HM: AJ/ACH, ROH 13th Anniversary
MOTYC: Bucks/reDragon, ROH 13th Anniversary

yeah

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

NJPW Anniversary Show
HM: Honma vs Makabe
HM: Goto vs Nagata

Third these

MassRafTer posted:

New Japan Cup Round 2:
HM: Yohei Komatsu and Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Yuji Nagata and Sho Tanaka
HM: Hirooki Goto vs. Katsuyori Shibata

second these

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Finally saw it, and yeah, that casket match is the best thing I've seen this year outside of NJPW. Holy loving poo poo.

Also want to nominate:

Honorable Mention:

Texano Jr vs. Psycho Clown vs. El Mesias vs. Aerostar AAA Rey de Reyes Final, 3/15/15

Fantastic match taken down a notch by dumb ending

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

epitasis posted:

HM: Johnny Gargano vs. Drew Galloway, WWN Mercury Rising, 3/28

yeah, I'll third that

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'll give the title match a MOTY nod. Great match and that was the most I've been emotionally invested in a WWE match since MITB 2011.

Rusev vs. Cena's on the borderline of HM I guess.

HHH vs Sting was a fun spectacle that I couldn't even really give a rating to.

Nothing else was really nomination worthy for good or bad reasons, and it was a really fun show overall thanks to Mania bullshit and it surpassed my expectations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC:

Euforia, Niebla Roja, Último Guerrero © vs Mistico, Valiente, Volador Jr. from 2/13

The third fall is great with a crazy, must see finish. I assume this has been nominated but in case it hasn't been:

seconded

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yuriy posted:

HM - Trios Tourney - Sexy Star, Superfly and Pentagon Jr vs Big Ryck's New Posse (Big Ryck, The Mack, Killshot) - Lucha Underground 4/1/15

Great debut for The Mack and Killshot, great match, set up later feuds, made Pentagon look like a billion bucks.

Good example of how to hide someone like Big Ryck's weaknesses and a good example of how you can stick some black dudes together and not have it be lame like New Day

seconded

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Need to rewatch last two matches when awake, but for now:

SaberToothedPie posted:

HM: RPNGI Vice vs Bucks - New Japan Invasion Attack 4/5

Seconded, that was the best jr tag match I've seen in months, crowd was great and Rocky played a fantastic face.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Third AJ vs Ibushi for MOTYC

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yuriy posted:

HM - Son of Havok, Ivelisse, Anjelico vs Aerostar, Drago, Fenix - 4/8/15

Holy poo poo them flips, the storyline told in ring

I loving love this show

I really liked what I saw of this match, unfortunately I missed the middle of it because my stream died.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oatgan posted:

was gonna go HM but an absolutely nuclear crowd puts this one over the edge for me

MOTYC: Masato Yoshino and Shachihoko BOY vs Jimmy Kagetora and Jimmy Susumu, Dragon Gate 4/9

Yeah, I'll second for the same reason, Tokyo and Osaka DG crowds are fantastic

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Nothing on that card was worthy of this thread for either good or bad reasons. I really enjoyed the street fight and the tag match was fub, but I can't say either warranted a HM

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I think I'm the only PSP poster who was actually there since hate man refuses to post, but you all need to check War of the Worlds out when you can.

MOTYC

CHAOS vs Briscoes - ROH/NJPW War of the Worlds Night 1 - 5/12
AJ Styles vs Adam Cole ROH/NJPW War of the Worlds Night 1 - 5/12
Young Bucks vs Addiction vs Kingdom ROH/NJPW War of the Worlds Night 1 - 5/12
KUSHIDA vs Roderick Strong ROH/NJPW War of the Worlds Night 1 - 5/12

If you live in the Northeast you really owe it to yourself to check one of these shows out, just like I'd be at BOLA if it wasn't so drat far away

Changed KUSHIDA/Roddy to MOTYC

Thauros fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 13, 2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, I was trying not to go too overkill, but that was a ****1/4ish match. Second Roddy/ KUSHIDA for motyc

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MOTYC

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Roderick Strong ROH/NJPW War of the Worlds Night 2 - 5/13 - Roddy continued to amaze
Bucks vs Kingdom ROH/NJPW War of the Worlds Night 1 - 5/12 - Tough match to rate, but the crazy hot crowd put it over the edge for me.

I was too drunk to really properly rate the first half

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

that was closer to a WMOTC than a HM but doesn't really warrant either imo. Nothing on this show has so far, the tag match was really good but not quite HM levels.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, nth the HM for the main. Fun match with some great moments, and unlike that bad LMS match Reigns really was good in a main event style WWE match here.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

yeah nth that on the women's match, that might've been the best women's match I've ever seen in the WWE

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm prob biased because of booking but whatever nth that poo poo

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

don't see how the title match was worthy of anything besides DFOTY.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Agreed that the ridiculous finisher sequences are basically just part of what makes the Bucks what they are, but while I think the Styles Clash is a fine finisher unlike many people on here I do think it's dumb that AJ does a ganso bomb as a setup to it rather than a super powered big match variant finisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Owens vs Balor gets pushed from HM into MOTYC territory due to the atmoshphere and crowd

I liked Jericho/Neville and it was a really fun opener but HM seems a little excessive to me

• Locked thread