Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

MOTYC: IBUSHI VS SWAG, NJPW 1/4 WK9

They had my vote just for the cape entrance alone, then the match was loving great to boot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seconded

Edit: Haha, knew by the time I posted seconded that somebody would have nominated it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

HM: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Togi Makabe

Seconding this, really enjoyed that hoss-off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dimebags Brain posted:

HM: Lucha Underground Aztec Warfare.

Fun hour long match that wasn't anything mind blowing but had cool spots throughout and manged to weave together and advance pretty much every story and feud in LU up to that point.

I'm belated, but adding in my nomination for this, I was really impressed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cardboard Box posted:

MOTYC: Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena vs. Seth Rollins - WWE Royal Rumble, 1/25

1 millionthing. Holy poo poo that was incredible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm going to nth the nomination of the Rumble match as Worst of the Year. Technically speaking it was perfectly fine and even quite good in how the whole thing was constructed/flowed. But the booking ideas behind it, the key decisions, and the spiteful elements of "gently caress the fans you'll like what we tell you to like" utterly ruined it and made it one of the worst Rumble matches I've ever seen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Demp posted:

HM: Finn Balor vs Hideo Itami - NXT 2/04/15

I would have liked to have seen it go maybe 5 minutes longer, but a really good TV main event.

Agreed, really good match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Testekill posted:

HM: Adrian Neville vs Finn Balor, NXT Arrival

Not quite a MOTYC but this match owned hard.

Agreed, a really good match that built up really well with a really good ending.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

theminx posted:

NJPW New Beginning in Osaka 2/11

HM: IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match AJ Styles v Tanahashi

Yep, thought it was good and really improved by the excellent ending.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Fatal 4-Way Charlotte Flair vs Sasha Banks vs Bayley vs Becky Lynch NXT arRIVAL

Great match, great ending - with just a little more time this could have been a MOTYC

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 12, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

MOTYC: Zayn vs Owens

Yeah, I'm a little weirded out by the ending but it is such an out there and relatively fresh take on what we normally see that I can't really hold it against it, and the rest of the match was exceptional.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Ishii vs Honma - The New Beginning in Sendai

As a big fan of Ishii, this match made me a big fan of Honma. It was crazy the stuff these guys put themselves through, and Honma in particular was excellent, the last 5-10 minutes had me on the edge of my seat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think if the match had ended a couple of minutes earlier (and with a different winner than who we ultimately got) I would have classed it as a MOTYC. There was a move that felt like the culmination of everything that had been built up to that point, and the crowd seemed to peak at that moment expecting a victory... but then there was a kickout and another couple of minutes of wrestling that, while still good, just lost me a bit.

I'd say it was definitely the match of the night though, even if the NWA Title match had the best ending of the night.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

oatgan posted:

HM: Daniel Bryan vs Roman Reigns - WWE Fastlane 2/22

Agreed.

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

HM: John Cena vs. Rusev, WWE Fastlane 2/22

Agreed again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bard Maddox posted:

also, (NJC final spoiler)

HM: Kota Ibushi vs. Hirooki Goto, New Japan Cup Finals Show, March 15, 2015

Seconded, that was a very satisfying watch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM for Sting vs HHH, would have given it a MOTY if Sting had won it. A beautiful clusterfuck encapsulating 90s overbooking perfectly, just a glorious mess and a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cardboard Box posted:

HM: Rusev vs. John Cena - 3/29, Wrestlemania 31

Second, that was a lot of fun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Weird match but the ending was so good, and Brock looked so amazing through most of it, and it was such a spectacle that yeah, I'll throw in a second to MOTYC for Brock vs Roman vsSethallofasudden

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Okada vs Fale - New Japan Invasion Attack 4/5

Built well but was basically a solid, nothing-special match.... then the last few minutes were just incredible, Fale did well but Okada was sensational.

Edit: HM for Ibushi vs Styles for the NJPW Title at Invasion Attack too, that was a really good match and I'd love to see them wrestle again.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 5, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

and am curious how good a Fale match could possibly be.

It's the ending that makes that match. Getting there required build of course, and Fale and Okada work fine together, but for the first 80% of the match you'll probably be thinking,"What's so special about this?" - but the ending is incredible and puts the entire thing (and Okada's journey since his loss at WK9) into a great context.... which in turn makes the ending of the show even better.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Hirooki Goto - IWGP Intercontinental Title match: NJPW Wrestling Dontaku 2015

Slow build, incredible ending, and both guys looked really drat good. While I wouldn't put it up there as a MOTY, people should watch this match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yuriy posted:

Hm: Ambrose/Rollins - Raw 5/4

Hot drat that was good

Have to agree, technically speaking it may not have been as high a quality as could be hoped for, but the atmosphere and the fact it was a "debut" (with an intro by Bret Hart :stare:) went a long way towards making it feel special.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Benne posted:

HM: Neville vs. John Cena, RAW 5/11

The US Open Challenge is the best thing to happen to Cena in a long, long time.

Agreed on both counts - this is the best possible use of Cena, and he and Neville had a really drat good match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

oatgan posted:

HM: Cedric Alexander vs Kazuchika Okada, ROH Global Wars 5/15

It was good, though I wouldn't say HM good. It's a drat shame about the lights issues, because it upset the flow of the match and I think it could have been a lot better.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

epitasis posted:

HM: ROH All-Stars vs. Bullet Club, ROH Global Wars 5/15

Agreed, that was a hell of a lot of fun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Blooming Brilliant posted:

HM: Cesaro + Tyson Kidd vs. New Day, Payback

MassRafTer posted:

HM: John Cena vs Rusev, I Quit

Mukaikubo posted:

HM: Dean Ambrose vs. Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton vs. Seth Rollins, Payback

Agreed on all three counts. All three came so close to edging into MOTY territory, the tag match was probably the best overall but the highs of the main were higher - especially the brief Shield reunion and that great moment when Roman and Dean happily agreed it was time to fight each other.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DarkstarIV posted:

MOTYC: Sasha Banks vs Becky Lynch (NXT Takeover 5/20/15)

Agreed, that was incredible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

schweens posted:

HM: Prince Puma vs Hernandez. Lucha Underground 5/27

Agreed, some of those spots were crazy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HMMOTYC: Owens vs Cena - Elimination Chamber 2015

Wow.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 1, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Actually screw it, the after-match promo pushed it up to MOTYC status for me. Owens :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DarkstarIV posted:

MOTYC: Kevin Owens vs John Cena, MITB 6/14/15

I could go for HM as well, but eeeh.

Just watched this, Nthing the nomination. Goddamn. That pop when Owens kicked Cena after the handshake was glorious :swoon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Benne posted:

MOTYC: Prince Puma vs. Johnny Mundo Iron Man match, Lucha Underground 6/17

OH MY loving GOD THAT loving MATCH

Yeppppppppppppp. Mundo was a great heel during the match too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

*this spot reserved for the ROH PPV nominations*

e. MOTY Jay v. Jay, Best In The World 2015

Finally got a chance to catch this, throwing in my now entirely needless second. What a wonderful match and an amazing ending.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

HM: Bullet Club (Young Bucks and AJ Styles) v. Chaos (Kazuchika Okada and RPG Vice) ROH on Destination America, 6/24/15

Great match! Okada and AJ are two of the best in the world.

Yeah, that was a really goddamn fun match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DarkstarIV posted:

MOTYC: Kevin Owens vs Finn Balor, WWE Beast in the East (7/4/15)

Absolutely agree, goddamn that was amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Kazushi Sakuraba vs Katsuyori Shibata at NJPW: Dominion

Check this match out guys, it's different to what we normally see and is really, really well booked. This is definately a match you should see.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thauros posted:

MOTYC : AJ Styles vs Kazuchika Okada, NJPW Dominion 7/5

My stream dropped in and out, I only got to see isolated parts of the match, but just based on the ending sequence, the hot crowd and the result I'm more than happy to second this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM for Cena/Cesaro - I really enjoyed it but it wasn't quite as good as their last one. It was cool as hell to see Cesaro get another chance to show off how good he can be though.

Edit: Hell for my own sake I should put in an HM for their previous match too, I missed it live and had to go back to catch up on it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Rusev vs Cesaro vs Kevin Owens on Raw - July 13th 2015

Cesaro is inhuman :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'd give Lethal/Roddy an HM nomination. I really enjoyed it, but by necessity it had to have a fair amount of filler. The ending was well handled though and it sure as hell has me keen to see a rematch.

• Locked thread